Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to the official forums of Bogleech.com

You're currently not logged in, which means you are an intangible lurking sentience.

Manifest into being!

If you're already a thing please log in so you can be that:

Name:   Password:

Monstrous Tumours, Nothing to worry about.
Tiki Snakes
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 04:16 AM

Oozing Larva

Group: Members
Member No.: 434

People who work in the medical profession see some pretty disgusting things. You'd be suprised what you can get used to over time though. A seasoned medical practicioner can often be pretty hard to unnerve with unpleasent sights and smells. Still, some medical fields have a higher turnover than others.

Take the doctors who deal with cancer. It can be pretty grueling, day in day out dealing with such desperately hopeful people. Seeing the toll that chemotherapy takes on people and the look on their faces when you have to tell them that it's returned.

As well as that there is something unnerving about the idea of a body literally turning on itself. Tumors are always pretty nasty at the best of times, but some are much more difficult to look at than others.

You ever hear the one about the lady with cancer in her uterus? The story usually goes that they take the tumor out but refuse to let her see it. She just has to know why though, so she sneaks a look or maybe the husband does. It varies, as does the description but usually the tumour is in it's little specimin jar and it's a horrible mess of human skin and teeth and hair.

That's called a Teratoma. They exist. It's not really something you want to show a fragile patient. Teratomas have been reported to contain hair, teeth, bone and even more complex organs such as eyes and hands, feet or other limbs. Usually, they form in the Testes or Ovaries but are also found inside the skull, in the brain, under the tongue or in any number of other structures along the midline of the body.

Fetiform Teratoma are rare forms that include one or more components resembling a malformed fetus. Forms that actually start to resemble a fetus are usually chalked up to parasitic twinning, but it's often less clear-cut with the less recognisable Teratoma. It's no secret that such tumors have been found with partial cranial structures, long bones and even rudimentary beating hearts.

Now, the question at this point might be, are you at risk of having one of these things start growing in your nuts? Probably not. That is to say, they say that these tumours are congenital, initially forming in your body even before you are born. If your doctor finds a Teratoma inside you then you have been carrying it around with you your entire life. They can however, begin growing and developing further later in life. Even if you have them removed there is no guarantee that it won't simply regrow.

The doctors who deal with these Tumors regularly usually only work in that particular field for a relatively short period of time. Invariably, they seem to find other disciplines to try their hand at or are promoted past the point where they need to operate themselves. Some few take to the bottle or quit altogether. If you are lucky and you find such a person you might be able to get them to talk about the things they found growing inside people's bodies. If you're lucky they may even tell the unsanitized version of the story.

And sometimes if you get them drunk enough, they might even tell you about the Teratoma that survive being removed from their host or where they are taken afterwards. If you push them, they may even be rash enough to take a guess at what they think actually causes them but always in hushed tones and wary eyes.

Perhaps you might even learn what they need them for.

But I wouldn't advise that you do.
Jesus lizard
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 03:17 PM

Invader Swim

Group: Elder Things
Member No.: 91

Lead up was a little long, but I felt that the ending was solid with just enough information to really grab you, and just the right amount to make you wonder.
The Outsider
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 06:05 PM

the sucker that works toward eternity

Group: Elder Things
Member No.: 374

It's good, but I wouldn't exactly call it scary. At no point was I feeling any emotion other than "unnerved".

--------------------
FILTHY_PEASANT
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 06:31 PM

the fuckn champ

Member No.: 455

For once, I agree with JL. Really solid tumor-tale.

--------------------
*~lil bitch~*
leesamfish
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 01:24 AM

Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.

Member No.: 279

Me gusta.

Also, just a funny story related to doctors talking about their work: my parents (my mom is a physical therapist and has worked in hospitals) knew a couple that were close friends with, and the husband was a Urologist. So one time at dinner, they apparently were swapping horror stories, and their non-medical working spouses were like "...can we talk about something other than gruesome accidents while we're having our nice dinner?!?" lol

--------------------
user posted image
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
Tiki Snakes
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 02:21 AM

Oozing Larva

Member No.: 434

QUOTE (The Outsider @ Feb 23 2012, 06:05 PM)
It's good, but I wouldn't exactly call it scary. At no point was I feeling any emotion other than "unnerved".

That's a fair comment. Unnerving is pretty much what I was shooting for, but as long as it was enjoyed, it's all good.

I think pulling off genuinely scary is hard enough to be far too much like hard work.
IcyBowser
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:52 AM

Whoops

Member No.: 190

I was actually talking about Teratomas today in school!

I really liked this, it certainly wasn't scary but it definitely really caught my interest.

--------------------
user posted image
OuthouseInferno
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:56 AM

I cringed so hard my face turned into an asshole

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 7

I think part of the reason it's not working is maybe we know too much about biology and figure this story's close enough to real life to not be that frightening. Lord knows things like birth defects and other stuff that has to be removed from bodies is equally as awful.

--------------------
user posted image
"I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away." -Martin Luther
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0810 seconds | Archive