Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to the official forums of Bogleech.com

You're currently not logged in, which means you are an intangible lurking sentience.

Manifest into being!

If you're already a thing please log in so you can be that:

Name:   Password:

Classic Monster Models, Because I'm just that geeky
bigbadlochness
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 04:33 AM

Lazy Moasaur who likes steak sandwiches

Group: Elder Things
Member No.: 46

So I recently got on a kick to build the classic monster models, originally released by Aurora in the 1960's and 70's. I've done this before, when I was 7 and 8, but I wanted to actually try to paint them half-decently this time. For my first kit, I built up "Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde"

user posted image

That's probably outrageously large, so the rest of the pictures will be in clickable thumbnail. It was a learning experience, and so there was a lot of repainting and polishing. There's some problems: I never got the eyes exactly right and the arms didn't fit quite the way I wanted to. But overall, I think the work I put in paid off.

user posted image

user posted image

This model originally came out in 1964, but this is a 2007 rerelease. They molded the lab equipment in clear plastic as an update, but oddly didn't bother to add some teeth, which the original model is curiously missing. I had to sculpt some dentures for him. The bookcase and everything in it is part of a fan-made add-on, which I think adds a lot.

user posted image
(^Love that painting^)

user posted image

The rat and spider are both outrageously large for English species, so I painted a bit of green on their respective mouthparts to suggest that they've been into Jekyll's formula. The labels and notes I made up in GIMP and then printed out and dabbed with watered-down paint.

user posted image

user posted image

If anyone's curious, I could talk more about how I made it or the history of the model, but I think I've rambled plenty long.
Here's the photobucket album, including pics of the process of building: http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/big...as%20Mr%20Hyde/

And a site that has a lot of good info on the classic models: http://www.professorplastik.com/monster_si...ge_frameset.htm

Thanks for taking a look!

--------------------
Old Fogey
The Leader
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 02:45 PM

BUMP RUMP

Member No.: 72

You did an great job with the paint. I love how you textured the wood on the chair and table.

--------------------
user posted image
Jesus lizard
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 03:41 PM

Invader Swim

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 91

The green goo dribbling down his lab coat is pretty nice, but it feels like you layered the brown for his arm hair too thickly.
Maybe just me.

--------------------
.....................................................................................................................................))><((
ScutigeraColeoptrata
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 03:53 PM

Elite Corps Centipede

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 2

All the little details are fantastic. The textures on the table look great, as do the glass vials and apparatus. I especially like the dry brushing you used for the hair.

--------------------
"Despair is the Disk One boss of the game of Life."
-Chupacabra

Check out my website! http://www.lucidstillness.com/
bigbadlochness
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 07:00 PM

Lazy Moasaur who likes steak sandwiches

Member No.: 46

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! I really appreciate it. I'm starting in on the Hunchback now, which presents an interesting challenge as a glow in the dark kit.

And JL, I agree with you on the hairy "Hyde" arm. I think the problem is that i accidentally got a blob of white paint on it when I was painting the lab coat. I had to do another base coat because the hair color was mixed and impossible to completely match. With that and another dry-brush coat on top of it, I think I had way too many coats and obliterated some of the detail. Oh well.

--------------------
Old Fogey
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0838 seconds | Archive