Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to the official forums of Bogleech.com

You're currently not logged in, which means you are an intangible lurking sentience.

Manifest into being!

If you're already a thing please log in so you can be that:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

The display problem
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:06 AM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

For years, I've been told by a certain portion of people that most of bogleech displays funny and almost unreadably so. Pictures overlap text and text has far too many line breaks.

The whole site is made with Yahoo! sitebuilder, which I know has problems, but it's too late to fix. I'd have to not only get a different program set up but go through hundreds and hundreds of pages, remaking them from scratch.

I can recreate the problem when I zoom in or out in firefox. Anything but the default view looks completely screwy. Other people can't seem to fix it no matter what, and there doesn't seem to be any consistent details....no particular browser, operating system or settings are shared by everyone who experiences this.

I've been stressed about it off and on for years without any explanations or solutions in sight. Can anybody figure anything out here? I complained to the sitebuilder people once or twice, but they just told me "it looks fine to us."

--------------------
The reviews are IN!
Scythe is such a fucking aardvark

-The NY Times
Rasec Wizzlbang
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:29 AM

Move mountains! Mount movements!

Group: Elder Things
Member No.: 6

Well, it sounds like its their problem, not yours.

From the sound of it it's just their settings.

--------------------
user posted image
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:13 AM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

I don't think so, since they don't seem able to change it like I can.

--------------------
The reviews are IN!

-The NY Times
OuthouseInferno
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 07:13 AM

I cringed so hard my face turned into an asshole

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 7

Yeah I never had a problem with your site on firefox, IE, or google chrome, but your newest article screwed up for me. (this one http://bogleech.com/bio-parasitoids.html)

--------------------
user posted image
"I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away." -Martin Luther
Revereche
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 01:06 PM

ハヒ〜♥

Member No.: 157

Scythe, just type up the pages in HTML. It's ridiculously simple, and won't skew.

On a related subject, have you thought about switching over to a more Web 2.0 format (for example http://www.marchanddetrucs.com/ ), and one that draws more attention to your creative endeavors? I wouldn't be too concerned except that you've indicated before this is your primary means of income, and you could be losing a lot of potential business by not catching a would-be customer's eye.

--------------------
user posted image
ペロペロペロ
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:13 PM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

Actually the site doesn't make me hardly any money at all, I'm living off student loans tongue.gif

I positively suck at html. I make so many mistakes trying to make a page in it and get overwhelmed with frustration trying to identify and fix them. Otherwise I definitely would have tried to make the site flashier looking a long time ago...or at least have a background that displays outside of the page margins like most other sites.

Yeah I never had a problem with your site on firefox, IE, or google chrome, but your newest article screwed up for me. (this one http://bogleech.com/bio-parasitoids.html)

The original had been made many years ago in a different software, which sitebuilder came to replace. It probably screwed up from updating it with the new stuff....I just tried to copy all its content into a newly created sitebuilder page, is it working any different now?

--------------------
The reviews are IN!

-The NY Times
Violence Jill
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:44 PM

My powers of rape command you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 309

Dude, the problem with your site is, and I quote a web developer friend - 'it's old as fucking dirt and works about as well as sand in a vagina'.

You're using a shitty site builder that's been outdated for AT LEAST a decade, you have an inefficient update method, crap pages that don't display properly and a lot of good information, interesting articles and creative endeavors buried under shit and fail.

This is why you haven't taken off yet when other people have.

Solution: Build a new site. Yourself. Or pay someone a flat rate to do it.

--------------------
MPREG.
Violence Jill
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:50 PM

QUOTE (scythemantis @ Aug 5 2011, 05:13 PM)

I positively suck at html. I make so many mistakes trying to make a page in it and get overwhelmed with frustration trying to identify and fix them. Otherwise I definitely would have tried to make the site flashier looking a long time ago...or at least have a background that displays outside of the page margins like most other sites.

That's no excuse. : | (Coming from someone who still messed up coding from time to time after dealing with it for years...)

If I had more time I'd build the damn thing for you just to stop the agony my eyes experience whenever I click over to read an interesting article Rev has linked me.

Really, web 2.0. COME ON. IT LIKES YOU.

..........IN THE BUTT.

--------------------
MPREG.
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 05:51 PM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

They still update yahoo sitebuilder sad.gif

Some of my pages are html, like mortasheen entries and the webcomics, but I had to figure out how to make just one and keep copying it as a template for myself.

What about dreamweaver and junk? What are those other ones? Is dreamweaver a thing? Am I talking about the right thing?

I don't know exactly what web 2.0 means.

--------------------
The reviews are IN!

-The NY Times
Violence Jill
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:06 PM

QUOTE (scythemantis @ Aug 5 2011, 05:51 PM)
They still update yahoo sitebuilder sad.gif

Some of my pages are html, like mortasheen entries and the webcomics, but I had to figure out how to make just one and keep copying it as a template for myself.

What about dreamweaver and junk? What are those other ones? Is dreamweaver a thing? Am I talking about the right thing?

I don't know exactly what web 2.0 means.

Dreamweaver is basically only useful if you have advanced knowledge of html and php otherwise you will stumble into its embrace and promptly have your wallet stolen, your holes raped and every ounce of your self respect dissolved in an acid bath of sperm.

It's a great program, and I like it for some things, but I wouldn't exactly push that towards a beginner. Start with notepad, make little 'Hello World' html pages, work your way up.

Web 1.0 = you. Web 2.0 = everything else in the universe with exclusion of a few, hellish renegades clinging to yahoo and geoshitties and their prefab nonsense.

If I were in your position and not terribly up on html in its current form, I'd probably take a look at things like wordpress and other content apps. There is a bit of fiddling you'd have to do with a template like that but it's very easy. It also allows for a lot of widgets and built in stuff, like twitter etc. that will help with exposure and link backs.

Do you actually OWN your webspace, or are you renting for free?

--------------------
MPREG.
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:12 PM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

I started the site on yahoo, I pay for a domain through them and it's impossible to move honestly. No way I could start over from scratch, and yes, sitebuilder enslaves you to a yahoo server.

Ten years ago it was the best option, but there's no going back now and I'm not about to start all over on some other domain when the site is only now really starting to climb and come up high in a lot of relevant searches.

I just got dreamweaver the non-money way, I thought it was ALSO suitable for people who didn't know html? That's what I was always told anyway.

I like my site content and appearance almost just the way it is, I just want to make sure it works properly for everybody, so I'd really have to go through one by one and remake every page in whatever.

--------------------
The reviews are IN!

-The NY Times
xolta
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:15 PM

Wackey as propaganda.

Member No.: 144

--------------------
Curently banned for life for blockbuster and hollywood video
scythemantis
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:21 PM

With Soar-Throat Ghost

what about frontpage?

--------------------
The reviews are IN!

-The NY Times
Violence Jill
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:27 PM

QUOTE (scythemantis @ Aug 5 2011, 06:12 PM)

I like my site content and appearance almost just the way it is, I just want to make sure it works properly for everybody, so I'd really have to go through one by one and remake every page in whatever.

You know what, forget I said anything.

--------------------
MPREG.
xolta
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 06:29 PM

Wackey as propaganda.

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (scythemantis @ Aug 5 2011, 12:21 PM)
what about frontpage?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/frontpage-help/
there this might help

http://www.expression-web.net/
Also give expression a try its just he upgarded verion of fornt page.

--------------------
Curently banned for life for blockbuster and hollywood video
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0808 seconds | Archive