Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to the official forums of Bogleech.com

You're currently not logged in, which means you are an intangible lurking sentience.

Manifest into being!

If you're already a thing please log in so you can be that:

Name:   Password:

De Profundis, psychodramatic alternate reality games
gentlemancorpse
Posted: Jun 28 2011, 03:42 AM

Oozing Larva

Group: Members
Member No.: 147

So there's this game called De Profundis. I think the first version popped up as a 30-odd page booklet in Polish, introducing a correspondence game played by writing and sending letters between players, in the style of Lovecraft's original letters. The idea was to blur the lines between reality and the 'game', resulting in an eerie little correspondence shared between two or more people.

Since then it's been translated to English and revised to a second edition, a bit lengthier. I recall going through the original and being intrigued, and I recently got my hands on the second edition, which I haven't read completely yet.

It brought to mind alternate reality games, a concept that's always intrigued me. Hidden references in real-life books, or in obscure corners on the internet, all mixed up in some sort of carefully crafted fiction? If played right I think this could be terribly creepy and eerie.

This also made me think of creepypastas and more esoteric hyperfiction like Ted's Caving Page and the Dionaea House. Again, combined with correspondences/alternate reality games, the potential for creepyness is amazing.

House of Leaves would also be appropriate amongst all these links. God, that's an incredible book, and the lay-out and set-up is very alternate-reality-ey. Why isn't there a book section on these forums?

Anyways, here are some reviews to De Profundis, in case you're interested. Review 1 and Review 2.

And after all that, here's De Profundis itself, for you to take a look at. Let me know what you think.
gentlemancorpse
Posted: Jun 28 2011, 03:43 AM

Oozing Larva

Group: Members
Member No.: 147

Oops, defs posted this in the wrong forum. Was supposed to go in the general board.
Revereche
Posted: Jun 28 2011, 03:45 AM

ハヒ〜♥

Group: Admin
Member No.: 157

Oh well. Sounds like a fun game, though.

--------------------
user posted image
ペロペロペロ
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0436 seconds | Archive