Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to the official forums of Bogleech.com

You're currently not logged in, which means you are an intangible lurking sentience.

Manifest into being!

If you're already a thing please log in so you can be that:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Touhou, OH SHIT LASERS
Squidtentacle
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:16 AM

Killing the aardvark

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been a Touhou thread on here yet.

Anyway, I recently got interested in the Touhou series (mainly through remixes of the music by Crow's Claw and Hellion Sounds), and I've been playing some of the games for the last couple of days. I have to say, while the fact that absolutely everyone of any age looks like an eleven year old girl in most of the games significantly irks me, I'm really liking it. So, upon realizing that we apparently didn't have a thread for it, I decided to start one.

With that, I'd have to say my favorite characters so far are:

Sakuya Izayoi, a time-controlling made with a thing for knives. The servant Remilia Scarlet.
user posted image

Remilia Scarlet, a vampire with a light appetite. She has her own mansion, where she takes care of her younger sister, Flandre. Claims to be a descendant of Count Dracula, but this is a complete lie.
user posted image

Alice Margatroid, a magician who manipulates dolls. Not much else to say.
user posted image

Yukari Yakumo, a youkai who manipulates boundaries. Probably the most powerful of the youkai, she spends a lot of time sleeping and is good friends with Yuyuko Saigyouji, a ghost.
user posted image

Reisen Udongein Inaba, a Lunar Rabbit capable of making people go insane with her eyes. Fighting her is disorienting as all hell.
user posted image

Utsuho Reiuji, a hell raven who absorbed the power to manipulate nuclear fusion, and easily my favorite character in the series. She's really the only true villain in the series, as, after essentially becoming a living nuke, she wanted to simply make the entire world burn into a new sun. The fight with her, and even her design, has several Chernobyl references.
user posted image

--------------------
"Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"Bah, you kids today with your toe-hoes and your scarlet devils and your wings made of christmas ornaments and your I-dunno-whatsits." - Ragspaper
user posted image
xolta
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:18 AM

Wackey as propaganda.

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 144

I have never herd of it until now.

--------------------
Curently banned for life for blockbuster and hollywood video
Squidtentacle
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:19 AM

Killing the aardvark

Strange, I assumed it was rather well known.

If anyone doesn't know about it, here's a good link. http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Wiki

--------------------
"Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"Bah, you kids today with your toe-hoes and your scarlet devils and your wings made of christmas ornaments and your I-dunno-whatsits." - Ragspaper
user posted image
OuthouseInferno
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:24 AM

I cringed so hard my face turned into an asshole

Member No.: 7

Well, there are no monsters in this series, maybe?

THe "youkai" in the games are all humanshape.

ZUN, maker of the games, has QUALITY art, that's why they all look 11.

Here is a gameplay sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJTb3zJ43g4

I can assure anyone that any good video makes it look much, much easier than it actually is, and it's just Normal mode.
EDIT: Also, the FPS in like fucking 3/4 of the videos are slower than 60 FPS, making the gameplay slower, laggier, and easier. And another random half are extremely blurry.

Also, the music in Touhou could eat up a whole topic by itself, it's that great.

Oh, the bombspam causes you to "fail" the boss phases, also called "spellcards". Real men don't use bombs.

I refuse to use bombs on the spellcards,, hell I conserve them to the point of stupidity. Maybe that's why I can't clear any Hard mode yet.

--------------------
user posted image
"I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away." -Martin Luther
Anyone00
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:37 AM

The Moltar-Snork

Group: Elder Things
Member No.: 143

Sakuya Izayoi doesn't really seem to me like she's wearing pads.
And while we're here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIiniJTZ6k

They call also play soccer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcQRgA4wAw
*cough*

Reisen Udongein Inaba can be sneaky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUdM4-f_Cw

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
OuthouseInferno
Posted: May 28 2010, 12:50 AM

Anyways the official games are on the front page of the Wiki.

Anyone00 brings to attention that there is a LOT of fanmade stuff for this series. Fanmade games, fan comics that somehow all evolved into their own set of little jokes, traits, and more, fan music remixes, mountains of fanart.

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
"I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away." -Martin Luther
Anyone00
Posted: May 28 2010, 01:20 AM

The Moltar-Snork

Member No.: 143

Oh just wait till I start posting the IOSYS and Yourichio Nagashima stuff.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Shadow Goo
Posted: May 28 2010, 09:02 AM

Indescribable Monstrosity

Member No.: 22

I'm a bit of a closet/failure touhoufag in that I am both terrible at the non-fighter games and really ashamed to admit I love reading Touhou comics. So many of the random minor characters really click with me.
MAINLY
user posted image
Yuugi Hoshiguma, a badass oni who lives in an abandoned Hell and spends all her time getting drunk, partying, and getting into fights. Predictably she's extremely bull-headed, but also honest and straightforward and also has SUPER STRENGTH. She's good friends with Suika, another, much smaller Oni girl who's more or less one of the main cast members in most things.

user posted image
Wriggle Nightbug, an adorable and slightly androgynous firefly girl whose power is to command swarms of insects. She gets extremely upset when people underestimate the importance of insects and is vulnerable to the cold and insecticide. She's also a stage one boss, ie extremely weak, though she can be fairly awesome in some fancomics and art.

user posted image
Yamame Kurodani is probably my single favorite character in terms of design and concept, but she unfortunately falls flat. She hits all the right notes for me; she's a spider youkai (and her dress actually makes her sort of look the part), and her power is THE ABILITY TO CONTROL DISEASES. Unfortunately her official profile and dialogue isn't very exciting and she doesn't have much fanon about her, so her depictions tend to be all over the place and she's a bit lacking in personality. In fanon she tends to flip flop between being a bit of a diva, some random innocent bystander, and a slightly sinister figure who tries to poison rivers and abducts Wriggle Nightbug. Still, I like her a lot.

--------------------
Galactic Tomahawk
Posted: May 28 2010, 10:16 AM

Evil Gentleman

Member No.: 18

user posted image

Personal favorite character, Aya Shameimaru. She's a crow tengu and she runs a (really really bad) newspaper, and pretty much spends all her time flying around taking pictures and/or being kind of a dick to everyone.

Also has super speed, and is implied to secretly be extremely powerful.

And I'm gonna post this cause it's kinda cool:
http://www.freewebs.com/tohosort/]

It's like... A site where you repeatedly stick characters up against each other and choose your favorite until you have an entire list sorted out. Sounds kinda lame the way I described it, but it's a fun way to kill some time.

Won't post all my results but the top ten were...

1. Aya Shameimaru
2. Eirin Yagokoro
3. Sakuya Izayoi
4. Yuyuko Saigyouji
5. Suwako Moriya
6. Hong Meiling
7. Tenshi Hinanawi
8. Nue Houjuu
9. Kaguya Hoiraisan
10. Utsuho Reiuji
OuthouseInferno
Posted: May 28 2010, 10:41 AM

I already know my favorite is Sakuya. I have no real idea why, but I can partly attribute it to IaMP.

Funnily enough that was how I discovered the series in the first place, by find the fighting game characters in MUGEN videos.

--------------------
user posted image
Galactic Tomahawk
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 09:13 PM

Evil Gentleman

Member No.: 18

Four
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 09:44 PM

Four!

Member No.: 202

I'm never coming to this thread again. Good Day.

--------------------
user posted image
OuthouseInferno
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 06:12 AM

Four, you are a weird one.

And YES, something to play before I get back to school.

--------------------
user posted image
dodoman1
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 06:23 AM

Bio-electric Anemone

Member No.: 19

user posted image

--------------------
"Abominations, mutations, deviations... that's all you're gonna find down here."
My Tumblr
My DeviantArt
--
user posted image
Squidtentacle
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 06:54 AM

Killing the aardvark

....I was not expecting that. At all.

Well, this should be interesting to try out.

--------------------
user posted image
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1284 seconds | Archive