Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Vg Bliss. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Tips+Tricks #1: Making XP think it's a Mac, Skinning Guide
AlphaRob
Posted: Aug 20 2004, 10:35 PM

iBliss-If it were real...
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 54

Hey all, this is an updated version of my tutorial at the IFSZ, on how to skin your Windows XP and make it think it's a Mac! It's very simple, and I tried to make this as detailed as physically possible. I also bolded the main parts and colored all of the links blue for easier reference. woot.psd.jpg If anyone has any questions, problems, or comments please post here. If you notice a typo or a broken link pm me and I'll try to fix it asap. wink.psd.jpg

-----------------------------------

Tips and Tricks #1: "Making XP Think It's a Mac"

Okay, so we all know and love the buetiful slick style of Mac OS X, but most of us own an XP. Instead of getting an emulator and buying a Mac, why not replicate the look and feel of the Mac? It's really easy, and I'm about to tell you how. wink.psd.jpg

The first thing, and probably easiest, is to take your Windows TaskBar and move it to the top of the screen. To do this, right click on the taskbar and make sure that 'Lock The Taskbar' is unchecked. Now click and hold and drag the taskbar to the top of your desktop. Ta-Da! Easy as that. laugh.psd.jpg We did this because for a Mac OS X look, the Taskbar must be on the top of the screen. wink.psd.jpg

Now we need to change our boring old Windows XP Skin into a buetiful and slick Mac-Like skin, this is very simple. You'll need WindowBlinds, the popular skinning program for Windows XP. You can get WindowBlinds for free here. You then need to take the file you downloaded (Windowblinds4_public.exe) and double click on it. You will then install the program, Windowblinds. You may need to restart your computer after the installation is finished.

Now, just for the purpose of this tutorial, I have made a list of the best Mac-like skins. All skins are courtesy of Wincustomize.com. To download and use any of the skins you must register at their site. wink.psd.jpg

iBar Mac Brushed
Mac PC X
Dark OS X Panther
Tiger Milk 2
Ice
Brushed Panther
Mac OS X Panther

Once you have chosen a skin, click Download and find the .wba file in the zip or whatever you downloaded. Double click on the .wba file and WindowBlinds will automatically open the skin. Click Apply This Skin Now and the skin will take a moment to...well...apply itself. tounge.psd.jpg You can now close WindowBlinds. And be happy that you now have a Mac-Like skin. grin.psd.jpg

Sure, your XP now resembles a Mac more then it did about 10-5 minutes ago, but that doesn't mean we're done! woot.psd.jpg

We now should change the wallpaper, and get a mac-like wallpaper. Such as any of those included in the Mac OS X Panther skin. Even if you don't like the skin, download it for the wallpapers included in the .zip file. wink.psd.jpg Extract it, find the wallpaper, and right click>set as desktop backround.

Great, now we can add the finishing touches! happy.psd.jpg

You may remember that Mac OS X has a 'dock' on the bottom of the screen. The dock is one of the best features of this tutorial. To get a dock, you'll need the freeware program known as ObjectDock. You can get ObjectDock for free here. Download it and use the .exe file to install the program.

Now that we have ObjectDock installed, we need to make it look like the Mac dock. To do this, we must change the background and icons.

The following is a list of great Mac-Like backgrounds, to install a backround, download it and put ALL of the files into the program files folder for ObjectDock.

Tiger
Mac OS Background
MacBack
Striped Mac

Now we need to change the icons on our dock. The best mac-like icons are MacSoft and the Mac OS Theme. But you can find a lot of great ones here.

Yay! Our dock, skin, and wallpaper are all looking slick and sweet! Now what you ask??? Well now we need to change the icons for XP. Download IconPackager from this site. Note that it is only a trial version, and will last only 30 days. Find mac-like icons here.

TA DA! We're done! Your XP should now look like a Mac OS X! Congratulations!

------------------------------------

Hope that helped some people and fellow mac-lovers. laugh.psd.jpg Comments are welcome!

-AlphaRob--VG Bliss Admin

limester816
Posted: Aug 20 2004, 10:45 PM

VGBliss
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Awesome Awesome Awesome.
Robb
Posted: Aug 20 2004, 10:47 PM

The Beast of VG
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

very very sweet mano, but i am happy with my skin now happy.psd.jpg...CAUSE IT PWN'S JOOOOO!!
Rinoa Heartilly
Posted: Aug 22 2004, 02:31 AM

Beware the FFX group
Group Icon

Group: Music Manager
Member No.: 40

awesome but my computer doesnt' need any more confusion.
Mr.Camo
Posted: Aug 22 2004, 08:48 PM

Teh VGB Addict.
Group Icon

Group: VG Team
Member No.: 23

Great advice, although I've done it and dumped the Mac look.

» Pinned.

It's pinned because this will help people a lot if they don't like their XP look.

AlphaRob
Posted: Aug 22 2004, 09:25 PM

iBliss-If it were real...
Group Icon

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Mr.Camo @ Aug 22 2004, 08:48 PM)
Great advice, although I've done it and dumped the Mac look.

» Pinned.

It's pinned because this will help people a lot if they don't like their XP look.

I was thinking about pinning it, didn't know if people really needed it pinned, you know?

I'll be writing a few more skinning guides in the future.
MagicEy
Posted: Aug 29 2004, 09:41 AM

Dude
Group Icon

Group: VG Manager
Member No.: 21

Awesome dude.... but theres no way im going to read all that when i dont have XP.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3828 seconds | Archive