zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to UnReal World forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
If you are a new visitor click register at top left corner to create an account and join in at UnReal World forums.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

UnReal World RPG homepage

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Hunting Even Viable? (beginner)
Equil
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 05:22 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,123

First, I'd like to state I'm a fairly new player and I really like the concept of this game. I'm however having a lot of issues with hunting/trapping.

My first character, I used nets along with high fishing, I basically had fish rolling in constantly and never had to worry about food. I quickly got bored of this character and decided to start a hunter with high bow/spear skill.

I tried several characters with each having "expert" level in one of these. However, everytime I find something, like a deer/stag, even while sneaking they always seem to become alert within a few moves or so, and then run away before I can even get a shot off. I even tracked one for quite a while, like 2 or so ingame days, just for the trail to become a really confusing circle of tracks I was basically forced to give up. I almost always become starved within a few ingame days before I can even get anything, my character can rarely even hit squirrels with bow/spear, I usually end up resorting to throwing rocks at them.

With trapping, I suppose I need some advice on how to/where to set these up. I made a "trap-fence" like I saw on the wiki but even after 3-4 ingame weeks(This was on my fishing character) there was still nothing in them. On that note, do traps look visually different when they have something caught in them? Or do I need to check them somehow(like nets?).

TL;DR = To me right now it seems you either just fish with nets and be set forever, or have a horrible time hunting.

Could anyone please provide advice on how to hunt without starving to death and how to track properly/efficiently?

I'd like to conclude by saying I really like the game and I've been looking for a game like this for a while, even though hunting is frustrating the heck out of me, keep up the good work! smile.gif
Faurric
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 06:07 AM

Urman

Group: UrW-forum members
Member No.: 13

For hunting, it's easiest if you find the deer, elk, or stag in pine mire or open mire, so look around open areas. Stag are the most nervous and have the most stamina, so they're pretty hard to catch. Reindeer can be hard because they just leave a mass of tracks; you might have to zoom out to catch your bearings then move and drop back onto their trail. Smaller animals are dumber and have lower stamina than big animals, in my experience.

Move one space at a time, but not too slowly. I'd recommend moving with stealth off most of the time; if they move 2 tiles when you move one, you'll never catch them. When you see a deer on the edge of your screen, put stealth on.

When stealthed, pay attention to the deer's facing, it has a 180 vision arc like you do. If you move into the deer's vision arc, you'll almost always break stealth. Different animals have different ranges where they'll hear you even if you're stealthed, and they'll run.

Be prepared to lose a few arrows if you use a bow. You're probably going to have to take some shots at 8 or 9 tiles. If you can't get closer, you might have to shoot 12 tiles, to the edge of the screen. Keep track of how many arrows go off screen and once the deer runs, find the arrows then resume tracking. Eventually (maybe) you'll land a shot or two and lower its stamina or even cripple it. Javelins work to, and will never break when they hit.

I'd recommend not taking long shots if the deer is in open mire. If the arrow goes into a bog it is lost. It can happen in pine mire, too, but not as often.

If you can stay on the deer long enough, it will tire. Once you find that you're closing, it's escaping, and it's not getting away, stop shooting and walk right up to the exhausted beast. Then shoot it.

If you chase a deer into open mire, or against the bank of a river, you can sometime trap it so it doesn't know how to escape. It might run back and forth while you stand 6 tiles away. Let it run. When it only moves 1 tiles for every time you rest a turn, it's worn out. Walk up and kill it.

Esdian
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 06:12 AM

Member No.: 2,108

For me Hunting seems to revolve around Having really good stealth/Luck and Really good (insert weapon of choice here). Failing that oath of Iron + Javilin usually helps alot. If I can throw 2 Javilins in a CHARGING bear, anyone can.

As for the luck aspect, its really nice to have some. I've seen my character at 98% bow skill MISS targets that were not moving, but I've seen the same character 1 shot a Nerpy.

I can't comment much about traping, I just use them as ways to mark teritory.. case it shows up on the zoomed out map.. yeah I could do better.
Rices
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 08:17 AM

*purrrs* like a Cat
Group Icon

Group: Honorary Lifetime Supporter
Member No.: 2,060

Trapping is for myself hunting, i'm so lazy, it's more work than nothing. ^^
Trapfences with trap pits or their deadly cousins have to be long "walls" with some trap pits between.

X = trap-pit
# = Fence
W = Water/River/Sea

WWW###X##(~50meters Fences)##X###(~50 meters fences)##X## ...and so on.
till i hit water again. I tries to make this passive traps between water sources on the world map.
seems to be working well, even foreign traders get caught regular with deadly Trap-pits so they will never trespass the area again. happy.gif
Like the Ingame Infobox said even the unskilled trapper will caught a prey from time to time.
11% seems to be bad enough for me, while theoretical i have meat for 6 years in a half year already. smile.gif

But it seems that bears are really favor me ( or my trappits) because every time while i dissect the elk they greet me on it always as a pair of two. my favor luck they dies as a pair of 2 aswell so i got a whole collection of furs for the winter already, my house is made out of Fur biggrin.gif

Sidenote: i got armored by "dead foreign traders" which died in the deadly trappits while they was build, until all of them died this way. Of course this occasion never happened before and it was funny but the drawback is it was too easy with that on this new version. even for me who normally lives on the edge to the death in this game. ^^

Observation which is not proofed till now:

Carnivors seems to over priority(can't reflect the word to the right stance now sorry) food over a possible threat so the bears and wolfes stays by the carcass to devour it, while they get shot with arrows and javelines.
Sometimes they start to rush at me but cancel that task to go back to eat some more food from the carcass/elk cuts, or what ever they do with it.
Maybe i'm just lucky, that could be it too. ^^

Short story with really bad story progression and grammatical missuses. smile.gif
Some Foreign Traders pass the Mire of Talikkitä on their way to Soumst one of the biggest Cities on the southern part of this Land for outsiders to get precious Furs and Leathers.
They Spot a Fence curious like they are they follow the Fence till they find a left out between it.
Rarik call for the dib to pass the spot first, while he passed the area, with a loud crush he falls down the Trap. He got hurt by the stakes which was hidden in it, the stones on the ground doesn't helped him as well, his foot was broken due the crash.
Valmö caught panic while he saw how his friend got wounded and rush back to the other peoples of the Caravan .
Rarik got dissect by the Hermit, while Valmö get support from Barabas to rescue Rarik out of the Trap.
Valmö and Barabas got back to the spot where their fellow died.
Unfortunately Valmö had forgotten the exactly spot of the trap while he had panic out for his friend, so he crushed on it... down the hole.

Repeat...
gladius2metal
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 10:55 AM

Member No.: 1,805

there is one very important aspect about hunting that wasn't mentioned here:
CLIMB a tree on the overland map and look around, this is the only reliable way to spot animals.
Lastchime
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 04:48 PM

Member No.: 2,087

With large herbivores it often comes down to attrition, you have to stalk and track it until you can either get it gushing blood so it tires out, or the ai pathing screws up (spruce forests are great for this, sometimes I even charge them in a spruce forest and get a lucky melee, it's risky tho) sometimes you're ok waiting a few turns if it's leaving tracks and let it get unaware again.

In the winter don't bother unless you have skis, it will most likely outlast you especially if your poorly equipped.

Try for reindeer as they travel in packs now they will provide more opportunities for good shots (a good shot is anywhere from 6-8 tiles away clear of trees).

Unless you can get a lucky crack shot, anything smaller than a glutton (sometimes gluttons aren't worth it as wolverines sometimes like to turn around and eat your face) isn't worth the waste of ammo cause you'll rarely catch it unless it's a squirrel up a tree.
makute
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 04:59 PM

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (Esdian @ Feb 28 2013, 06:12 AM)
FI've seen my character at 98% bow skill MISS targets that were not moving, but I've seen the same character 1 shot a Nerpy.

I noticed that behaviour in 3.16 too. I made a couple character with high bow skill (80% or more), and they only had a 20% of succesful shots against big, immobile targets (sleeping elks and the like).
Brash_Endeavors
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 05:07 PM

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,684

Remember taking down a large stag or even a reindeer, is a considerable achievement and supplies you with a month or sometimes even a full season's worth of food in one kill if it is a large enough creature.

I have had times I have tracked stag/reindeer for what felt like hours, hoping eventually the stamina of the long chase would give me a lucky break if I was doggedly persistent enough. Times I shot javelin after javelin missing at 85 Spear skill, and a few times when I was astonished to one-hit crit shot with a single javelin that didn;t even have Oath of Iron. Many times I give up the chase (especially if reindeer are circling back and muddling the tracks beyond easy tracking) but I do get lucky enough to keep myself well fed.

I think the game would get boring way too fast if every hunting trip ended in success. Sometimes you win, sometimes they do. I tend now to rely in trapping more for a steady food source (it's probably best to have several different sources of food supply and not just a single activity) however I never can resist the lure of a good hunt when I stumble across a stag or reindeer out in the wild. It's probably my favorite part of the game and always a welcome break from other activities, even when the hunt does not end in success.

For traps, I usually will wander around till I find a reindeer spot, drop a board or something on the world map to mark the area for myself, then spend many days to set up a very long trap fence there as they very often seem to return to the same area even if you spook them off while constructing the fence. I look for chunk borders where there is a clear path and then build the fence along one side of the open pathway so that I can check it very quickly once a week or so. With reindeer, anytime you catch one, you are just as likely to catch 3-6 from the same herd in traps, so just one lucky setup makes up for the ones that stay empty for long periods.
makute
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 06:41 PM

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (Brash_Endeavors @ Feb 28 2013, 05:07 PM)
Remember taking down a large stag or even a reindeer, is a considerable achievement and supplies you with a month or sometimes even a full season's worth of food in one kill if it is a large enough creature.

I'm not talking about one-hit an elk; but hitting it only once in 5 shots, with a 80% bow skill character at less than 8-10 tiles is, at least, weird.
Brash_Endeavors
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 06:47 PM

Group Icon

I think that is 80 percent of the way to a full skill bar, not an 80% chance for any particular arrow to hit. Also if you are at -20% encumbrance I think that also subtracts 20% off your skill. So make sure you drop everything you don't need to be carrying because *every pound you carry or wear, counts as a penalty*. I have no idea but there could even be additional penalties for being tired, hungry, thirsty. Bows probably have an "optimal range" based on type and you might get a penalty if the actual range is not within that bow type's set range. I haven't tested it too much, I am sure there are others here who are experts on the subject. Possible also that each creatures has a variable dodge skill too, to counter your attack skill. I have heard there is also complex bonuses/penalties depending on whether the creature is looking toweard you or has its back to you, whether it is aware of you or is exhausted, etc. I tend to "h" as soon as I zoom in then I always pause "." for one or two rounds (creature sometimes immediately goes to sleep or goes off alerrt) and if I am tracking and I get the "creature is alert" message, I freeze in my tracks also and tap "." a couple times.

http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Encumbrance

So if you are carrying weight, using the wrong range for that specific bow, and maybe a little tired, firing off shots when the creature is fresh and alerted, all those factors may be adding up together to make you miss more shots even if your skillbar is at 100%.

I think bow hunting has had a series of balancing over the past year or two and not anything particularly new in 3.16 specifically, but I could be wrong. When I first started it was very much easier than now. I noticed you have been here much longer than me but unsure how much of that gameplay has been in the past year specifically.
Blxz
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 07:12 PM

Member No.: 2,078

Hunting is a skill. i don't mean in game I mean you as a player need to develop the skill. I was rubbish at hunting in my first few games. but fishing bores me and so I stuck at practising my hunting. You can starve for a full month before you die so there is plenty of time.

As some have said, climbing trees on the world map is a great way to find animals. Be aware that they move around though so tracking can be difficult.

In the end, when i get frustrated I just hold down the movement key and charge in a straight line around the map hoping to run into something.

When you end up finding somehting you need to be conservative, only very rarely will you be able to sneak up on a sleeping animal. Taking the shot from long range is sometimes the best way. Also, if you are using a bow make sure to ready an arrow before you find the animal. The time to go into the menu and choose an arrow give it a few turns to escape. Having both you bow and an arrow equipped allows you to insta-shoot, often to your advantage.

Other than that, follow the rest of the advice in this thread. These people know what they are doing. And be patient, luck is an important factor sometimes and once you get a supply of food you will be hard pressed to know what to do with it all.
Faurric
Posted: Feb 28 2013, 08:02 PM

Urman

I seemed to get luckier on straight shots in the past, either straight diagonals, vertical, or horizontals. "Seemed" is the key word, I have no data to support it. But I'll still move my character to set up a straight shot and when a Njerpez warrior is zig-zagging towards me I'll let him move an additional tile so I get a straight shot. Where there's no superstition we have to create it, I guess.
Equil
Posted: Mar 1 2013, 03:32 AM

Member No.: 2,123

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I've already been having more success! biggrin.gif I've decided for now to just use fishing as a fallback while I practice hunting.

I actually managed to catch a Reindeer but it was strange; it ran -towards- me, giving me a few free shots on it, enough to slow it down for me to catch up and stab it. Was that a pathing issue or what? blink.gif
Faurric
Posted: Mar 1 2013, 03:59 AM

Urman

The herd will try to follow the Alpha leader, so if the Alpha is behind you and moving away, the reindeer to your front might run close by you in their rush to regain the herd. If you had missed then their tracks would quickly merge with the herds track, greatly increasing their chances to escape.

I've been running after a herd on a frozen lake; it's black and white with footprints and otherwise featureless. What a pain. Occasionally I'll hear one and turn to run that way. Sometimes I see and pick up arrows from my earlier wild shots. I've gotten three reindeer so far and I think there's 5 left in the herd.
Brash_Endeavors
Posted: Mar 1 2013, 04:55 AM

Group Icon

Reindeer are the Neurotics of the game -- sometimes they will even rush and attack you unprovoked. I was just walking into a village today when a bunch of commotion started, some reindeer had attacked a village housewife who was near the border perimeter and a bunch of villagers were all running around "!!!" and too agitated to speak to me.

I think Hunting is the most pure fun in the game but best to diversify; do a little fishing/trapping/breadbaking on the side and that will take some of the pressure off relying a lot on hunting as the main food source. I will usually set up some fishtraps at the water while I work on a line of traps for a couple days, then head for a village and try to barter some of that for smoked/dried food that I can sock away for leaner times. Another fallback for leaner periods, is to invest in a bag of rye or barley GRAINS (flour is easier but about 3X as expensive), find two large stones and have one small container of water and one empty one (wood bowls do fine, even a mug for the water). Go to the village workshop fireplace and use Agriculture>Flour to turn 4 of the 12lbs of grain into flour, then Cook>Bake up some flatbread. Stuff yourself full and then finish off the rest of the 4lbs of flour, which will feed you a couple days. When it runs out, you still have enough grain for two more 4lb portions of flour which each make 40 flatbread.

I also tend, whenever I have excess flatbread or a surplus of food that could rot soon (either fresh fish or roasted deer or whatever), is to try to trade it at shops or adventurers for their dried/smoked/salted cuts as those will last a lot longer than the raw/roasted/baked goods. Its more expensive than raw/roasted but a good investment for the future, when you can't do dried/smoke yourself easily. Flatbread is also easy to exchange for cords from travellers if you have trouble getting enough of those, or as "small change" for when you know you are very close to meeting a price but don;t want to give up something too valuable. If they say its not of interest you may need to trade in batches of 3-6 instead of singly. If you have a decent cooking skill, then Tasty or Delicious flatbread is worth even more.

But Hunting is my favorite and anytime I have an excuse to rush off after the sight of a stag in the area, I usually drop everything else to go give chase tongue.gif I usually will drop excess weight items on the "overworld" map as they are much much easier to find again there than in a local map. Also acts as a marker where you found a herd so you can return later and set up some traps in the area in case they pass through that spot again (they often do).
« Next Oldest | Gameplay questions | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive