Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Urw Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

UnReal World RPG homepage

List Of Keyboard Commands, with mnemonics to help you remember
plotinus
Posted: Feb 26 2013, 07:22 PM

Group Icon

Group: Honorary Lifetime Supporter
Member No.: 1,922

People have been asking about this a lot lately, so I thought it might be useful to have a master last of all keyboard commands, and how to remember them. When in doubt, think of a verb that describes what you want to do, and then trying typing the first letter of that word. It may seem hard at first, but once you get used to it, it will be in your muscle memory and your fingers will know how to do what ever it is you want to do. I've bolded the very most important ones for a beginner to learn.

You can find all this information out by typing ? in game!

Movement:
all movement is relative to the direction you're facing
up - move forward
down - move backwards
left - turn 45 (п/4 rad) left
right - turn 45 (п/4 rad) right
page up (or num pad 9) - turn 90 (п/2 rad) right
page down or end (num pad 1 and 3) - turn 180 (п rad)
home (or num pad 7) - turn 90 (п/2 rad) left
enter - zoom in or out

Skills:
s - see all skills and select one to use if you don't want to remember these letters:
alt a - 'a'griculture skill
alt b - 'b'uilding skill
alt c - 'c'ooking skill
alt e - h'e'rblore skill
alt f - 'f'ishing skill
alt h - 'h'ideworking skill
alt i or F4 - r'i'tual skill
alt l - c'l'imbing skill
alt m - ti'm'bercraft skill
alt p - 'p'hysician skill
alt r - t'r'ap skill
alt s - 's'wimming skill
alt t - 't'racking skill
alt v - sur'v'ival skill (collect branches, make fire, shelter, hole in ice)
alt w - 'w'eatherlore skill
alt y - carpentry skill

Inventory related commands:
, - pick up
; - pick from adjacent tile
a - 'a'pply a tool (such as a shovel or a loop snare)
d - 'd'rop something
shift C - 'C'hat with an NPC (or 'C'ommand an animal/companion)
shift D - 'D'iscard something
e or # - 'e'xtended commands (fill a container, pour something into a container, empty a container, rise to your feet, wounds and injuries, cut a carcass, sleep
shift E - 'E'at
i - 'i'nventory -- look at what you are carrying
m - 'm'ove items around with you
shift M - 'm'ake items
p - 'p'ush items to an adjacent square
q - 'q'uaff (drink) something
r - 'r'epeat the last thing you did
shift T - 'T'ake off something
w - 'w'ield a weapon
shift W - 'W'ear clothes
Esc - close inventory, cancel what you're doing.

Inventory specific commands:
+ select all items
- unselect all items
. filter inventory

typing the letter name next to an item, clicking it with the mouse, or using the arrow keys to scroll to it and hitting "enter" selects it. hitting space carries out the action (dropping all selected items, wearing all selected items, etc.)

Looking around:
x - e'x'amine an adjacent square
: - examine the space you're standing on
/ or F3 - examine a target you can select with a mouse or arrow keys
F6 - map of known areas

Fighting and Running away:
h - 'h'ide
shift R - 'R'un
t - 't'hrow something (an arrow, a rock)
X - e'x'change the items in your left and right hand
0 - kick
1 - use weapon in 1st hand
2 - use weapon in 2nd hand
3 - repeat the last attack you made
9 - punch

Waiting:
. - wait one turn
- or _ wait until you hit esc to cancel

Information:
shift A - 'A'rmour coverage statistics
shift L - 'L'og - view important events that have happened to your character and where they happened.
shift [P] - character profile
? - list of game commands
F1 - unreal world encyclopedia
F5 - quest information

Doors:
c - 'c'lose a door
o - 'o'pen a door

Save and Quit:
shift Q - 'Q'uit (and optionally save)

Miscellaneous:
7 - run zoom map maintenance
& - enable debug logs
Sami Maaranen
Posted: Feb 26 2013, 07:51 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ok, that's very helpful of you.
Even though it feels like a silly thing to do, I'll pin this thread for a while.

--

However, I'm quite puzzled what makes it so difficult (now) to view game commands from the game itself blink.gif

[?] lists game commands. Item handling related commands under their own self-explanatory category: ITEMS AND USING THEM

---
plotinus
Posted: Feb 27 2013, 08:56 AM

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,922

Added a note near the top that you can find all this information out by typing ? in game.

I think the reason it's coming up now is that a lot of people weren't using some of the commands because they just type "i" and use left-right arrow keys, and they weren't aware that easier alternatives existed.
FunnyMan3595
Posted: Feb 27 2013, 12:48 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,100

Also, I can't speak for others, but it took me entirely too long to realize that there was a second page to the commands list. I kept wondering why a bunch of stuff was missing until I finally spotted the note at the bottom. Might be a good idea to see if you can make it stand out a bit more.
Mortan
Posted: Nov 9 2013, 06:23 PM

Unregistered

I just downloaded Urw version 3.17 and after installing the new version I am having problems with certain commands. For instance the F6-key opens the "Rituals meny" instead of the map of explored areas as it is supposed to. Meanwhile the F4-key, which is supposed to open the Rituals meny, doesn't do anything and neither does the F5-key which is supposed to open the "Quest information".
Anyone else who has had these problems?
borrisb
Posted: Nov 14 2013, 03:25 AM

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,576

QUOTE (Mortan @ Nov 9 2013, 06:23 PM)
I just downloaded Urw version 3.17 and after installing the new version I am having problems with certain commands. For instance the F6-key opens the "Rituals meny" instead of the map of explored areas as it is supposed to. Meanwhile the F4-key, which is supposed to open the Rituals meny, doesn't do anything and neither does the F5-key which is supposed to open the "Quest information".
Anyone else who has had these problems?

I'm curious: what type of keyboard and OS are you using?

I have a Mac, QWERTY keyboard layout. I previously had a bunch of problems with games not because of the QWERTY keyboard, but because macs, by default, make the function keys tied to Mac OS centric commands.

If you're on a mac, does it help to go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> and check Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function key?
Posted: Dec 8 2013, 07:05 PM

Unregistered

for a reference to all you need to hit shift in order to access the control list. would be nice to know that more than a key stroke is needed .played the game for a couple of hours looking for a control list in game says hit "?" for help. did gives target by defalt not the command list. you should tell people all the keys needed to access the menus. not just a basic key. the in game explanations tell you to use items but not tell you how to. you need a lot more thought put in to how items are used. and why do you need a specific section to eat. you should be able to eat out your pack not just one menu. if im going to use a cooked fish what else would i do but eat it, whop fights with a fish. come on people use some common sense with items if you have a shovel in hand and you go to build a trap why cant it just dig a hole. i'v spent a multiple hours in game trying to figure out why dumb chocolate is holding a shovel to make a pit trap them says you need a hole first. the hole is the trap people with shovel in hand he should just dig again useless other commands for no reason. pleas put more work in to the controls game is fun but with the redundant skills and controls it kills it
borrisb
Posted: Dec 8 2013, 07:22 PM

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,576

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 8 2013, 07:05 PM)
for a reference to all you need to hit shift in order to access the control list. would be nice to know that more than a key stroke is needed .played the game for a couple of hours looking for a control list in game says hit "?" for help. did gives target by defalt not the command list. you should tell people all the keys needed to access the menus. not just a basic key. the in game explanations tell you to use items but not tell you how to. you need a lot more thought put in to how items are used. and why do you need a specific section to eat. you should be able to eat out your pack not just one menu. if im going to use a cooked fish what else would i do but eat it, whop fights with a fish. come on people use some common sense with items if you have a shovel in hand and you go to build a trap why cant it just dig a hole. i'v spent a multiple hours in game trying to figure out why dumb chocolate is holding a shovel to make a pit trap them says you need a hole first. the hole is the trap people with shovel in hand he should just dig again useless other commands for no reason. pleas put more work in to the controls game is fun but with the redundant skills and controls it kills it

It's funny, I have this same opinion about First Person Shooters when I play them, mainly because I rarely play them.

UrW, Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead... all of these games can be classified as a roguelike. Roguelikes don't have to have complex control systems, take Don't Starve for example, or Rogue Legacy. On the other hand, Don't Starve, probably the simplest Roguelike I've played, has idiotic control things, too, no need to mention them here.

UrW is complex, and like Dwarf Fortress, more time is spent developing the game world and simulation rather than UI. UI is hard, I know. In some ways, that's no excuse, but I can put it back to the person who made this comment:

UrW, like Dwarf Fortress, requires a level of commitment to play. That's because it's complex, and no amount of UI tweaking will make this game less complex. The UI could be improved (not just graphics, which are on the way, but key strokes, and pointer interfaces), but I'd invite you, whomever you are Guest, to take a lesson here.

The next time you play a Roguelike, you might want to take the keyboard layout literally. In the literal world of computers, the ? key is generated with a "Shift+/" on a QWERTY keyboard. And "a"pply is different than "shift-a"rmor. There's only so many keys on the keyboard, and the designers of these games have to get creative.

Anyway, I hope you don't stop playing, unless you really don't like the game. There's a lot to like here, if you have a bit of patience.
Jenni
Posted: Dec 8 2013, 08:02 PM

Member No.: 2,575

QUOTE (borrisb @ Dec 8 2013, 02:22 PM)
UrW is complex, and like Dwarf Fortress, more time is spent developing the game world and simulation rather than UI. UI is hard, I know. In some ways, that's no excuse, but I can put it back to the person who made this comment:

UrW, like Dwarf Fortress, requires a level of commitment to play. That's because it's complex, and no amount of UI tweaking will make this game less complex. The UI could be improved (not just graphics, which are on the way, but key strokes, and pointer interfaces), but I'd invite you, whomever you are Guest, to take a lesson here.

I actually like the UI for UrW. It's not the easiest for new users but once you get the hang of it it's very easy to quickly get to whichever of the long list of commands you want in a matter of a few keystrokes. The same goes for Dwarf Fortress - once you learn the UI it becomes very fast because you don't need to navigate menus with 30+ options trying to find the one you need, you can just hit the keys and be on the option you want in a couple seconds.

It does take a while to get use to, but once you have invested the time to learn it, this kind of UI is a lot more useful to me than clicking through menus. Regarding the "?" not implying shift issue, I don't see that as the game or dev's fault. guest just misunderstood the instruction.

Regarding the issue of not automatically doing things, like digging the hole for a trap pit, it's pretty common for multiple stages to be required for tasks in this game, I like it because it lets me separate stages in a way that makes sense to me. Considering the option to resume a job where you left off was only recently added though, prior to this version having the hole dug while you made the trap could render making a simple pitfall difficult, maybe even impossible for some characters to make without first getting a good shovel or spending time improving skills.
Sunfang
Posted: Jan 7 2014, 10:19 AM

Member No.: 2,648

Thank you for directing me to this page Sami. It helped a lot

I kept wondering why pressing ? brought up the examine target interface until I saw this post and figured out I was actually pressing the / button.

« Next Oldest | Gameplay questions | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive