zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Ultramarines Chapter. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

--[Search on page:
]--

Go back to the Ultramarines main site!

VOTE FOR THIS SITE!!!:

Tac Squad Question, Another brilliant inquiry by me...
Galenus
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 09:55 PM

Space Marine Sergeant

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

I know this will probably generate much discussion but here goes nothing. I have always wondered why tac squads come in the box with a missile launcher and flamer. They seem to be two weapons with very different uses and there are other, better all-round combinations such as the lascannon, plasma gun mix. (Feel free to disagree.) I am wondering if it is another way Games Workshop gets you to buy more figures or if maybe it dates back to when you could divide tac squads into two halves to move around independantly.

Does anyone run the missile launcher, flamer combo? If so, in what role do you use it?

The reason I ask so many questions is because I want my Ultra's to be competitive when I finally put them on the table here in a couple weeks. I am drawing on all of your experience and knowledge.

Thanks!

--------------------
Master of the Marches
Inquisitor_14
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 12:46 PM

Scout in training

Member No.: 72

Yes it is to make you buy more models, I think GW does that because they are a Black Hole sucking all our money away. But hey I can't take my money with me when I die so I prefer to give it to GW. blink.gif

I have never done the rocket/flamer combo in a squad. I use small squads (5 man) for heavy weapons teams so they don't have to move. And larger teams with the assault weapons.

I seem to remember back in the day when 2nd edition was around that you could split a 10 man team into 2, not sure tho. At least I remembered talking to people about it. I think that was when a squad had a Vet and a regular SGT in it. (Red helmet with white stripe, and a guy with a solid red helmet) those were the days. I remember also being rather cheezy back then because I would put both heavey and special in a 5 man team. Made people mad. blink.gif wtf.gif

I only use the missle launcher in my Dev' squads any way cuz they are little campers blink.gif

--------------------
A hundred Thousand Worlds, Ten Hundred Thousand Wars.
There Is No Respite, There Is Nowhere To Hide.
Across The Galaxy There Is Only War.

The Blood Of Martyrs Is The Seed Of The Imperium.
"Chaplain Cassius"
Galenus
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 06:08 PM

Space Marine Sergeant

That is the best way I have found to use missile launchers as well. The more I look at the standard tac squad the more I question the flamer and ML. I would give the flamer to assault marines because they could actually position to use it.

--------------------
Master of the Marches
Inquisitor_14
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 10:48 AM

Scout in training

I do use the flamer alot in TAC squads, when I use the Razorback I have a marine with the flamer, it is handy when you need to hold a position. I also use it when I deploy Rhinos (open Top Vehicle) just drive around flaming stuff kinda fun too. I tryed it in an assault squad with success but I don't do it anymore, I like the CCW to much to loose one to a flamer carrier.

I guess it all has to do with who you are fighting. The flamer is a versitile weapon and can kill marines and xenos reletivly consistantly. I like it plus it looks cool. blink.gif

--------------------

"Chaplain Cassius"
Thantos
Posted: Mar 16 2006, 07:15 PM

Ultramar Honour Guard Moderator
Group Icon

Group: The Moderating Team
Member No.: 8

Tac squads yucky.gif . No chance. Minimum troops for me - cheap points like a 'devestator' scout squad wiht snipers and a CC tac of 5 kamakarzi men, vet sergeant with fist to dish out some hurt if the enemy ignore them. Apart from that spend it on assult squads my lad ... and assult chaplains! wink.gif

Wiht no spesific role tac squads are not my choice - if i wanted firepower id get a devestator squad, if i wanted CC id invest in a tolled up vetran squad or assult marines.

But thats my style of play and im sure they are good in the slow advance army or any defensive game.

I cant think of a better black hole to throw spare cash into tho inquisiter. wink.gif

--------------------
See my Minis at The Reclusiam.
user posted image
"I Am The Emperor's Will Made Manifest!"
Be Pure! Be Vigalent! BEHAVE!
Galenus
Posted: Mar 16 2006, 08:28 PM

Space Marine Sergeant

I have my Soul Drinkers and Tyranids for my close combat armies. I am looking for an army with a different feel. I want my Ultra's to be on the shooty side. I always have my early armies to fall back on if I find I miss the CC. That is why I am asking so much about configuring squads.

Anyway, marines are easy to change if I find I miss CC too much.

--------------------
Master of the Marches
Thantos
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 06:43 PM

Group Icon

Certinly mate, everyone has their unique playing style for their marines. I know that a few of the members here would definitly disagree witrh my style as i belive they rely heavily on the humbel tac squad.
Maybe when all our members decide to emerge from their hibernation they will share some of their tips. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Maclode
Posted: Mar 19 2006, 09:17 AM

Scout in training

Member No.: 68

QUOTE (Galenus @ Mar 13 2006, 09:55 PM)
I know this will probably generate much discussion but here goes nothing. I have always wondered why tac squads come in the box with a missile launcher and flamer. They seem to be two weapons with very different uses and there are other, better all-round combinations such as the lascannon, plasma gun mix. (Feel free to disagree.) I am wondering if it is another way Games Workshop gets you to buy more figures or if maybe it dates back to when you could divide tac squads into two halves to move around independantly.

Does anyone run the missile launcher, flamer combo? If so, in what role do you use it?

The reason I ask so many questions is because I want my Ultra's to be competitive when I finally put them on the table here in a couple weeks. I am drawing on all of your experience and knowledge.

Thanks!

I agree with everyone else that the reason GW puts the weapons combo they do is to generate more sales. Which is I guess not a bad thing I could be spending my monies on worse things.

For Tac squads I like the Plasma combo, Plasma gun/cannon gives the lowly Tac squad the ability to crack most tough targets. I have used the ML/Flamer with good outcome. What I think it comes down to is flexability and thats why I like to play SM and specifically Ultramarines. I can use what I want when I want. If I want to load up on Plasma I can if I want to go Assualt heavy I can. It takes time to build and money to outfit the different possibilities, Oh and all that painting. But I think you just can't go wrong with being flexable.

My Army that I am building right now will resemble 2nd Company with 6 Tac Squads, and I will supplement that with 2 scout squads and 8 snipers. Thats the infantry side. I am going to have 2 rinos, 3 Whirlwinds that can pull off thier missle and play rino if I need, 2 full devestators squads a LC & ML for long range punch or anti tank duty. ohmy.gif

I like to use the heavy weapons to try and pull the enemy into my forward Tac squads. They just can't sit back and shoot because I will pound them with artillary, or snipe tham with heavy weapons. This is all depending on what I am up against though you couldn't fight this way against allot of stuff out there but that is where the flexability come in. Oh and bikes are a must, and you have to have a recording of the meanest harley you can find to play while your moving them, if nothing else you'll shake you opponent of the table. wtf.gif

Main thing is to match your army to tactics you play best, ok thats enough of my ranting. Take it easy and let me know what your working on. I like hearing others ideas and tactics.
Inquisitor_14
Posted: Mar 22 2006, 11:33 AM

Scout in training

Good points Maclode.
On the other hand I only use heavy weapons that are easy to paint blink.gif
The Plasma Cannon has way to many cables and hoses and buttons and knobs and all that other stuff.
Missle Launcher is easy two colors and does the same amout of ass kickery.

But you gotta have the mother of all heavys The Las Cannon, hated painting that one too but they came out ok. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

"Chaplain Cassius"
Thantos
Posted: Mar 22 2006, 06:28 PM

Group Icon

Lol just coz it hard to paint you cant deny yourself the awsome termi killing weapon that is the Plazma cannon! biggrin.gif

If i ever take a dev squad i take 2 of em - ultimate marine splatter. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Galenus
Posted: Mar 22 2006, 08:16 PM

Space Marine Sergeant

Personally I like the Lascannon/plasma gun combo in a squad of ten. I usually field at least one squad this way because it makes them more flexible than a squad of 5, and I don't go for min/maxing. Sometimes to conserve points I do field two squads of 8. Anyway these guys primarily kill transports thus taking alot of fire. The higher number aides their survivability.

I am planning on fielding a tac squad with an Honor Guard. I will let you know how this works. (See my other query-Honor Guard Question.)

--------------------
Master of the Marches
brother cpl grayclark
Posted: Jun 19 2010, 09:37 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 261

i have orks and crons but am looking at building a UM list up to a company, I have kind of decided that i want to make my 1500 list a true feel so am looking at 3 tac squads a dev squad and an assault squad.

Im not a massive fan of the captain so my hq would be a librarian.

i also am not a massive fan of rhinos so they would be replaced by razorbacks.

so back to the base of the thread:~

Im planning on running 3 x 10 man tac squads, split down into 5 man combat squads, each tac squad with M/launcher and flamer so i can run a 5 man launcher squad and a 5 man flamer squad. This means that 5 guys camp and throw a missile at some1 while the other 5 man team are in a razorback so i can throw them in with the razorback for support.
it also gives me the option for las on the razorbacks for anti-tank/termi hunting.

im also planning to take a 10 man dev squad with 4 M/launchers split down into 2 combat squads so i will have 5 squads with m/launchers and 3 with flamers and that will hopefully give me the flexability to deal with the majority of enemies and events.

sorry its a little offtopic.gif
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

^Back to the top^

This web page is not an official production of Games Workshop, Ltd. Warhammer 40,000(R), EPIC, are registered trademarks of Games Workshop, Ltd., as are many of the words, phrases and text on this page. These words and phrases are used without permission. No challenge is intended to the status of these or any other trademarks of Games Workshop, Ltd. Use of these words without the appropriate symbols should not be construed as a challenge to such status. THIS SITE IS ONLY TO EXPRESS MY JOY IN THE WARHAMMER 40k HOBBY.
Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1466 seconds · Archive