zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Ultimate N Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

EGV Presents Final Genesis Evangelion, Any NGE fans here? Yeah, thought so.
Shinigami
Posted: Aug 18 2008, 07:23 PM

The Son of Sparda

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Wow, been a while since I did a big serious post here. Anyway...

I was recently approached by certain parties with the idea of tackling a reimagination of the greatly popular and highly controversial anime from Studio Gainax, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Now, I love NGE. I see the flaws, I too get the occasional "My god, WHY?!" from it, but over all, I enjoy it, even to this day. I get saddened by bash-fics such as Mark's own "Fanfic" that completely tore the entirty of Shinji's character apart, as well as the series itself, disgusted by such works as Hellstorm Evangelion, and irridated by the god-moding antics of such blatant mary-sue/gary-stu self-insertion Author Avatar wanksfests of the likes of Neon Exodus Evangelion, otherwise known as "Ben Hutchins' Author Avatar DJ Croft boots out Shinji of the series, makes everyone looks like idiots while he looks like god, and saves the day all the time except when to make it 'dramatic'".

That said, the reimagination of NGE, titles Final Genesis Evangelion, takes the framework, plays with it, but still strives to show that love and homage of the original work from Hidaeik Anno and Studio Gainax. As with any EGV reimagining, some things have been updated or changed, but teh core of the characters does not. In fact, in some cases, we went and further delved into those issues, such as Gendo being a total prick to everyone and everything around him all for his own ends. But I'm certain that the results thus far would probably speak for themselves.

That and the insanity known as The Great Asuka's World of Wackiness, which showcases the hilarious "behind the scenes and outtakes". Why? It's good humor that doesn't require too sick of a mind.

EGV's Final Genesis Evangelion

This post has been edited by Shinigami on Aug 19 2008, 12:23 PM

--------------------
user posted image
This month's spotlight:
Final Fantasy: Legend of the Warriors
user posted image
Tuxedo Mark
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 07:49 AM

You-know-who

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Shinigami @ Aug 18 2008, 10:23 PM)
I get saddened by bash-fics such as Mark's own "Fanfic"

Thanks for letting me know! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Now, this looks like a job for me, so everybody just follow me, 'cause we need a little controversy, 'cause it feels so empty without me."
- Eminem, "Without Me"
Shinigami
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 12:22 PM

The Son of Sparda

Yes, I know the point of it was to bash on Eva, and you did indeed completely miss the point and meaning of the series, but really, why write a fanfic of a series, book, or any kind of feature that you HATE? There's a reason it's called "FAN Fiction", emphisis on "FAN".

--------------------
user posted image
This month's spotlight:
user posted image
Tuxedo Mark
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 05:45 PM

You-know-who

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Shinigami @ Aug 19 2008, 03:22 PM)
the point and meaning of the series

The series has a point? And a meaning?

I always thought it was Anno's way of saying "I dropped acid while watching Gundam and reading the Bible, and look at what I came up with."

--------------------
"Now, this looks like a job for me, so everybody just follow me, 'cause we need a little controversy, 'cause it feels so empty without me."
- Eminem, "Without Me"
Shinigami
Posted: Aug 20 2008, 07:34 AM

The Son of Sparda

QUOTE (Tuxedo Mark @ Aug 19 2008, 05:45 PM)

I always thought it was Anno's way of saying "I dropped acid while watching Gundam and reading the Bible, and look at what I came up with."

Then you obviously don't know anything about Eva at all. It had nothing to do with Gundam, with drugs, or really wanting for the biblical references to have any deeper plot involved meaning. You obviously also seem to have a very narrow minded view on the reasoning behind series and features, and would rather just say "they were on drugs and being stupid when they came up with this" rather than do the research into it.

Anno had just been through a severe bout of clinical depression before he took on Evangelion. Said depression had made him very cynical, very moody, and quite messed up. Added to this, the production became very stressful and hellish on the rest of the production team. That's not counting how much they had to drop from the planned story after the Sarin nerve gas subway attacks baxck in 1995, which resulted in the rather disjointed latter half of Eva. They also had their budget slashed to hell during that later stage, and they made due with what they could. It didn't help that when they did the Death and Rebirth features, they ened up getting death letters, and some people even graffitied the studio building, which led to a wide-spread belief that End of Evangelion was Anno and Gainaz giving a big "up yours with the finger!" to the fans.

The biblical references are actually because, in Japan, less than 1% of population is actually christian, so it seemed like it would bring an air of mystery to the plots and consperiacies within the story. They didn't know at the time that the show would be exported, and Anno has said that if they had known it was going to be repackaged and redubbed for western countries, where that religion is pre-dominate, thety would not have used Christianity as a reference source for the mysterious going ons of the plot. Nothing more, nothing less.

And as I said, Gundam had nothing to do with the story or robot designs. I hate to tell you this, but Gundam is not the be all, end all of anime mecha. The main insperation to Eva was actually Ideon, which did actually come from the original creator of Gundam, and is infamous for its rather controversial "kill them all" ending where just about EVERYONE died.

As to the point and meaning of Eva, in the end, the series itself was a coming-of-age and coming to grips with one's self story underneath the "boy-and-his-giant-robot" overlayer story, with a healthy...or maybe unhealthy...massive shrink session for the main characters to decide what the purpose of existing and being individuals is about. The reason so much bad crap happened to the characters was so that you didn't just know right away that they would cucceed without fail. The pessisism was to the point that when they did pull through, you cheered for them, felt sorry for them when crap happened. It was also a way that Anno got out a lot of issues he still had from his depression...and the Project team did the same, which is why the later episodes are so off the wall insane mind twisters; they were going nuts from the hellish production, and they let the viewers get to see what it felt like. One is also suppose to get their own conclusions from what everything in Evangelion means to them, so everyone would get something different.

Then again, you tell people in your amazon.com reviews "Don't watch this anime, because cute girls die in it. Doesn't matter how good it may really be."

Well, that was an interesting little piece at about 7:30 in the morning for me. Then again, I do have a severe dislike for bashfics and the writers there of. I guess that once again, my point to this is...if you didn't like something, why write a FAN fic about it? Just leave it alone, write your review, and leave the fanfiction to the fans. I mean, I have come to lothe the Anne Rice Vampire chronicles, that doesn't mean I got out an write bashfic. I leave it alone, and let it rot on itself. The fact that Anne Rice is freakin' scary crazy and threatens to sue any of her fans that do write Vampire Chronicles fanfic doesn't HELP...but you get my point.

--------------------
user posted image
This month's spotlight:
user posted image
Ryu no Ouji
Posted: Aug 20 2008, 06:27 PM

Captain N groupie

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Tuxedo Mark @ Aug 19 2008, 05:45 PM)

You could say the same thing about YOU, Moore.

Just add "Plot" in there, and it's the very question everyone asks about anything you write.

Now, can we get off of the original series and start talking about Final Genesis?

This post has been edited by Ryu no Ouji on Aug 20 2008, 06:43 PM

--------------------
"Each End's a new beginning, every darkness has it's dawn, tears can't fall forever, so now I must move on" - Ash Ketchum, I've got a Secret

"Both of us are mourning and yet we move on" - BoA, Every Heart

"No matter how worried I become about being reborn. Sturdily, vigorously, I'll go on living smiling -- Look, it's 'Sakura'" - Sakura Kasugano, I Want You To Know
Alan Bates
Posted: Aug 21 2008, 07:15 PM

The Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Now, can we get off of the original series and start talking about Final Genesis?

Awww... I missed the bashing of the original series?

Okay, fine. I'll read some of the fic and get back to you then.

Edit: Okay.

So far, it doesn't look too bad. Not exactly my cup of tea, but Shin (-igami not -ji) should know by this point that his writing style isn't exactly my favorite. It always seems a bit slow and dry to me. Still, taking that into account, it comes off a bit better than his usual work. Which is weird, because I'm not a fan of the source material either.

--------------------
*insert something witty here*
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Fanfiction (General) | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3009 seconds · Archive