zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Tri State Jeepers. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Clayton, OK
punkin
Posted: Jan 3 2012, 07:37 PM

Pro Wheeler

Group: TSJ Member
Member No.: 7

I have always wanted to Wheel at Green acres in Clayton, Ok but have never been able to go. I sold the black buggy I built to a guy in Dallas Texas a little over a year ago. He is a member of Beartrax offroad out there. He called me last week and said thier club was going to Clayton and ride last weekend and wanted to know if I wanted meet them and ride. Well after talking with my wife she said if I wanted to go, go. I took off work Thursday at 11:00 and went home and loaded my orange buggy up and headed out, left home about 12:30. I drove for 9 hours and stopped just outside of Fort Smith, Ar. Got up next mourning around 5 and headed to Clayton, about another 2 hours of driving. Ariving inn Clayton I had some time to check out my buggy waiting on Robert to get there. I followed Robert over to the area they called the landing strip. There were buggies everywhere, guessing around 300 rigs. there ended up being about 25 rigs from dallas area in group I rode with. The first trail we did was called Wet and Wild. It was a creek trail with some nice small ledges and good size rock. Was maybe 1/2 mile long. Were this trail ended 2 other trails started, Jeffs ledges and Blacksheep Blvd. Water was pretty deep on Jeffs ledges so we headed to Blacksheep. The entrance is a real challenge. We spent 2 hours trying to get past this point. Only 2 rigs made the entrance without taking the bypass, was proud to be the person that built both of them. The rest of the trail was a good climb up the mountain in ths creekbed but mostly good techincal crawling. We had lunch at top of mountain and then started up a trail called cake walk. Was mostly just slow techinal crawling. We then headed over the backside of moutain and ran a trail named Pawked. This trail was great, only 5 of us started up this trail. Most of the rocks on this trail were the size of volkswagons. It was a blast. We only made it about 400 yards up this trail and the trail leader broke the casting on his rear dana 60. We spent the next 1 1/2 hours trying to get him out of this trail. By this time it was only about a 1/2 hour till dark so we headed back to the trailers. Spent the night at AA motel in town had a great meal at the dinner(only dinner in town) Even though we are on the same time it does not get light till also 8 that next mourning. It was pretty cold, 28 degrees. We had breakfast then meet the rest of the guys that were still running, at the landing strip. When sun comes out it warmed up quick, which I was glad of since it was 75 the day before. There were maybe double rigs on Sat.
We headed up and started out and ran a trail called another trail. It took us to the top of the mountain then we ran backside loop till Miller buggy (first time out) broke a link mount on his front end. (never weld links to cast center) Took about a hour to get him out of the way. This trail was a tough downhill with big rocks that hit every bodys diff.s. the next trail was redneck millionair. Only got to run part of this trail because most everybody was having trouble and they decided to head to easier trails. It was middle of afternoon and a couple of people were heading to trailers so I went with them, loaded up and started my 700 mile journey back to Owensboro. I drove several hours and stopped to get gas and decided to call it a night, It was New years eve. Got up next mourning and drove home in the blowing wind, was a pain.
Overall had a great time and would like to go back with a smaller group of very strong rigs so we can cover more ground. I did not see a third of this place and there are 2 other places to ride within a 1/2 hours drive from clayton.
Alan
Matt'sXJ
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 08:19 PM

Let's Ride!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

Sounds like a great time. I haven't drove my jeep in over a year. Miss going out on the trails. We are big into kart racing nowadays. Maybe someday I'll knock the dust off and head out again. Matt
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Trail Rides | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0294 seconds · Archive