zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Sylvan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Sylvan Weyr
Weyr Info
NEWS
Events
Weyrw.: None
Weyrl.: A'der of Bronze Arreleth

Time: 1st Turn - Winter

Staff
History
Dragons, Whers
Maps and Climate
Character Rules & Info
Templates

The Gather has begun!
Check out the Gather at Sylvan Hold, it's a great chance to dust off some of your characters and to spend some of your hard earned marks!

Habit called all Weyrlings for a Research!
Go and attend that special plotpoint to find out if your dragon can chew firestone or not...

Also don't forget to attend to your next Weyrlinglesson!
E'uan would be very mad if you did...
Current Flights: -

Hatching: -
Threadfall: -
Gather: OPEN!
Plots: Research
Lessons: Gemstones 2
Contests: Advertising and Holder (Finished)
Newsletter: Flitterletter (23.11.'09)

Research, TAG: New color weyrlings and open
obeah
Posted: Dec 7 2009, 09:34 AM

Weyrling

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11

Seleniuth, Rubellith, Indigolith, Sugilith, and Vesuviath. Please come to the lessons hall and bring Yours. The Weyrhealer would like to find out if you can chew 'stone. Indigolith's, you must come, but only bring Yours if he is able. Cirdoth let out a soft bugle as he called the five new-colored dragons to his side, to let Habit know he was doing it, even if she couldn't hear. Frostith, Incarnath, Citreth, Saphoreth, and Swath, if you would like to come to the lesson hall, the Weyrhealer would like to examine you to find out about your firestone stomach please. It is to tell if the new colors can flame. You are not required to attend, just a suggestion.

Habit nodded her thanks to E'uan and stood in the center of the open area in the lesson hall, hands clasped behind her back. Her face was impassive, but a lot of pressure was going through her mind. She had only one shot at this--the new weyrlings had been poked and prodded enough. If she couldn't determine whether they could flame now, before the Gather where the council meeting would be held, it wasn't worth trying again--by the time it would be important like this again, they would already be doing firestone drills.
akusma
Posted: Dec 8 2009, 05:40 PM

Weyrling

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Karla...Karla...We need to go, Cirdoth's rider has called us... Vesuviath murmered as she gently nudged Karla from her nap, snorting softly into the mussed air as she then nudged Trinket off the blond strands. The Green was doing far better, and she very rarely had to get involved now when it came to situations such as the ones from before. No, the Green was becoming wel mannered and easy to deal with - without loosing the 'charm' Karla so adored in the creature. But now was not the time for that. She hummed slightly as the girl awoke, groaning and waving a hand around as it she could batter waking up away. Karla, we have to go...They are going to find out if I may flame - Habit says we are ready. That got the girl up. In a flurry of activity, Karla was up on her knees, scraping Darya and Trinket into her arms with a squeal and a laugh before clamering to her feet - still cradling the oldest like a baby as the other clambered onto her waist.

"Oh! Now that's hardly fair, Vesuviath! You really should have woken me up earlier," the blond babbled, nevermind that she knew the Mauve had not heard the call before she'd told her. Vesuviath merely nodded before following along, wings rustling quietly at her back as they made their way to the lesson hall they'd become familier with. But they were not going there to learn about what the Weyr wanted them to know. Finally, they were going to find out the answer to a very important question! Vesuviath was four months old, four point nine feet in length, and only at around thirty percent her final size...Which meant she'd be roughly twenty three feet when she was fully grown! Karla knew for a fact that it was bigger then one of the Greens on the Weyr! Karla, that hardly matters... Karla laughed.

"But it does! It shows the Weyr you're just as good as the other colours!" Karla knew she was as good - if not better - then the other colours. But it felt good when it was proven to a Weyr that thought far tooo negatively. Like G'rouf...Karla's steps faultered and she frowned, biting her lip slightly as she went over the list of people who would be there in her head. R'hit and Indigolith...She brightened at thr thought of at least checking up on them. Still smiling, she peered around the door, her grin widening at the sight of her favourite healer in the center of the room. "Habit! Good day! Are you okay?" she chirped, smiling madly at the older woman as she shuffled Darya as Trinket tried to climb back into her arms. Oh, now you silly creatures, sit still!
Kestrez
Posted: Dec 10 2009, 11:55 PM

Egg

Member No.: 19

F’ryn drank the last half of the cup of klah he had been savoring in a rush as Incarnath relayed the message that Cirdoth sent the Weyrlings. He had practically ran to the Kitchens in order to grab the drink and a quick meal after fighting with Kaj in a battle of wills to get the firelizard to stop hissing at Incarnath. It seemed that whatever the Brown dragon did the Bronze flit assumed it was some sort of challenge. Kaj had not actually harmed Incarnath yet thankfully, but the flit was lucky that the Brown was so tolerant. F’ryn could only hope that Kaj would grow out of it. Or at least calm down a bit.

I knew you would want to go. Incarnath teased as F’ryn emerged from the cavern a minute later. The redhead smirked a silent agreement, patting his dragon’s head and tracing one of the darker brown swirls that adorned his hide. The little one is still sleeping. The Brown added with a short image of Kaj’s form curled up on F’ryn’s cot. With a nod and sigh of slight relief F’ryn started for where they had been told to go. As always Incarnath easily kept pace with His, and F’ryn couldn’t help but be feel proud. He did not know too much about dragons and how they grew but Incarnath was easily the second-largest newly Hatched dragon at the Weyr.

“Kaj should be tired after all the yelling he did at the two of us. And of course I want to go. Don’t you want to see if the new colors can flame? And how well if they can?” The Weyrling replied in a matter-of-fact tone. “Plus I want to learn more about you.” He added as an afterthought. Incarnath responded by nudging the young man hard enough to make him stumble a bit. I guess that’s a good enough reason. F’ryn could only chuckle as they entered the lesson hall; since their first lesson Incarnath had made it a game to almost trip His whenever he wasn’t expecting it.

“Stop that. You’re going to make me fall again…hello Karla, Vesuviath.” F’ryn greeted as the others came into view. He nodded to the Weyrhealer since he did not know the woman’s name. “Incarnath and F’ryn.” He offered, staying a few steps away still. He did not comment on the recent…event that had taken place even as he looked Karla and her dragon over. It was not his business and he did not want to say something that Karla did not want said in front of the Weyrhealer.
Eyota
Posted: Dec 15 2009, 12:38 PM

Hatchling

Member No.: 3

R'hit? the dragon asked, its facets whirling a blue-green as it attempted to get Its' attention. The Chrome had finally reached the stage it had caught up with all its peers and was generally healthy now. "What?" the teenager replied back mentally, looking up from what he was doing. His tone was fairly grumpy and he wasn't exactly happy with the world at the moment.Cirdoth called us for a meeting in the hall. Something about finding out whether I and the others could flame or not. "Fine, let's go," R'hit agreed to it, suddenly interested. If Indigolith could chew firestone and flame, that would be one thing that would be "normal" about his dragon. The rest of what they said about Indigolith's oddities, including gender, didn't matter as badly as the ablitity to flame or not. If Indigolith couldn't flame, it would only make it harder to deal with them. R'hit sincerely hoped the Chrome could.

The two of them arrived, R'hit's left arm still bandaged from when he had broke or fractured something in it in the fight with G'rouf. At least he could actually breathe without trouble now, and that was something he was happy about. Chiron had been sent to Delia on guard duty, Creln off sunning herself, and Vulcan was the one who came with them, sitting on his favorite shoulder. Silent as he stopped near all the rest of the weyrlings, the only thing he did was nod at Habit, in order to show some form of respect. Indigolith, on the other hand, greeted his siblings with a meep of some sort and then asked Vesuviath quietly, Do you think we'll both be able to flame?
obeah
Posted: Dec 15 2009, 01:28 PM

Weyrling

"Quite well, thank you, Karla," Habit said in reply, smiling gently. With the tuning fork in her hand, she didn't feel nearly as self-conscious as she might have in response to that question. She did shift her weight onto her good foot, but she was still excited inside, and completely relaxed. "And you?" Knitbone launched herself from Habit's shoulder to fly around Karla, cheeping cheerfully at Trinket and Darya. Habit snapped the fingers on her free hand, and the green made a small squeak, slightly embarrassed to be anything but as controlled as her master. She turned on a wingtip and flew away, looking over her shoulder at her fellow greens rather forlornly.

"Habit," she said, gesturing to herself. "Nice to meet you." There was occasionally some confusion because her name was also a noun, but perhaps he'd heard it before. She nodded to both of them. "Glad you could make it, I appreciate the help." She liked that he had shown up despite it not being required, and that momentarily distracted her from the fact that several of the other weyrlings had not yet shown up. She would not have been bothered if he mentioned the events of three sevendays ago, and she hoped Karla would not be afraid to bring it up in front of her. She liked to think she was open, trustworthy, and nonjudgmental enough for people to talk to her, though she had no reason to believe that was actually true or not.

Habit nodded back at R'hit, then sent Knitbone to go sit with Azo on E'uan's shoulder. She took out the tuning fork and held it up in front of her. "I think we'll get started," she said. "No sense in waiting." She hit the tuning fork against the piece of wood and held it up in the air, letting it ring for a second. "Those of you familiar with the harpercraft will know this is a tuning fork. It produces vibrations, which you can transfer to other substances to change the sound. She rested the handle of the fork on the thin piece of wood and the sound suddenly changed, becoming sharper and louder as the board vibrated as well.

"I don't know anything about Harpers, but I know we use them to diagnose certain internal conditions, because hollow, dull, or swollen things all have a different sound than that of a healthy person. You can also use them to find stress fractures." She silenced the fork from ringing by smothering the sound in her hand. "I'm going to hold them over your dragons's stomachs, to see whether they are the appropriate size to hold 'stone." She held it over her own to demonstrate the difference in vibration between holding it over her lungs versus her liver.

"F'ryn, Incarnath, may I demonstrate?" She held the fork-and-board apparatus over his chest. "Incarnath... has..." she moved the board around until it rang just right. "A firestone stomach, of the proportion he will eventually use to chew and fight Thread. A gold, for example, wouldn't. I'd like to see if your dragons do, with your permission. We can compare the sound to Incarnath's to be sure." In the corner, Berlioz showed up, Frostith bouncing up and down excitedly. "And Frostith, for the smaller dragons. It's not an exact science, but it gives us far more information than waiting to see." And shells, do we need it.

"Karla, Vesuviath, may I?"
akusma
Posted: Dec 15 2009, 03:01 PM

Weyrling

At Habit's responce Karla was momentarily distracted from the two flitts in her arms, stopping to smile even brighter at the woman. Oh! Now that was nice, at least Habit was not nearly as cold as Theresa could be - and she did like the women. Not that she knew her well at all! It was mainly because she was actually trying to help them sort out the information about the new colours, as opposed to Theresa who did very little in Karla's mind. But the woman wuite obviously had things to do throughout the Weyr that needed her attention, and she was sure that she must have Holders and Weyrfolk alike to deal with - what with Dafnierth being the 'reason' for these new colours the Weyr had. "Oh, I'm wonderful, thank you ever so much for asking! This is terribly exciting, don't you - Trinket!" She was cut off as she wailed to the little flitt who'd caught sight of Knitbone flying around her, and launched, screeching, onto the blond's face. Karla huffed and squealed weakly while she laughed, trying to untangle the creature's claws from her hair! Really, she thought they'd been sorting this out! The mere sight of a Green should not do this to her, really! Darya cooed slightly to the new Green, head tilting as she watched her fly away back to the woman over there, while Trinket sighed and keened in dissapointment, dropping back into Karla's arms to scramble over Darya, making the little thing squeal in return. She flashed a quick apologetic smile over at the Healer, before grappling a moment with the two creatures.

It wasn't until Trinket hazardly clambered onto her shoulder - sending Karla into a spin to try and drag her back, the Green wasn't going to stay on very well if she was merely dangling like a tunnelcat over it! - that she really noticed F'ryn and his Brown. She blinked for a moment, tilting her head to figure out why he was here. The normal colours were allowed to come here, presumably to compare stomachs, Vesuviath gently murmered, nodding slowly and kindly at Incarnath with a gentlye smile on her features. Completely unlike Karla. The bond squealed slightly, rushing forwards to try and hug him, only to realise that she had two flitters in the way and laugh at herself, stepping back to try and poke him in the arm. "F'ryn! I haven't seen you in so long! Well, maybe not that long, a few sevendays perhaps...But not since the incident with G'rouf I swear! And you as well, Incarnath!" she babbled, smiling brightly as Vesuviath then nodded to the rider as well before turning her attention away. While others may not like Bringing it up, as soon as it had been over, and people sorted out, Karla had begun to treat it much like she was treating the incident's with her deceased husband - like they were nothing more then a trip for klah in the mornings. Why make a bother over something that had already happened? Exactly, no reason at all! It had been sorted and was over and done with.

R'hit's arrival had her turning, smile flickering around the edges as she looked forlornly at his arm. Oh, and it had all been her fault as well, she did hope he didn't hate her for it - it was over and done with after all. Slowly at first, she edged over to him, free hand held behind her back as she cradled Darya with the other. Having turned around. Trinket now had a good view of the Brownrider, and she ceeped at him, flapping her wings and catching Karla in the back of her head as she said hello to Incarnath. It was...Certainly different from the calmness of the other flits in the room. I do not know, Indigolith. Perhaps we can, and the Weyr will se us in a brighter light - I do think you will be able to, and as my mother can, I see no reason that me being female should stop me, Vesuviath said firmly yet gently, trying to reassure the Chrome that there was nothing to worry about, just as Karla perhaps gave R'hit something to worry about.

"Hello R'hit! Are you okay? Is your arm better? Indigolith is looking wonderful - you are most certainly! You've gotten much bigger as well - you've done a fantastic job," Karla chirped, her smile no different from the one she'd given F'ryn as she stood between the two. She really did hope that he didn't mind her saying hello, though he might...She hoped not. She nodded to him once more before turning to face Habit, shushing Trinket's indignant cheep at not being able to see F'ryn anymore. Where was everyone else? There was...Marli and Sugilith, S'lin and Seleniuth, and Magorian with Rubellith to come as well! Or at least they had to come, maybe Finger would come with Frostith? Her face lit up slightly at the thought, having been as calm as it could get while she contemplated the other Weyrlings. The tuning fork thing really did interest her, she hadn't asked much about it when she'd spoken with Habit last about the new colours. It did sound awfully pretty, in any case.

The thought of the dragon's - and people - becoming musical instruments made Karla giggle as she watched in delight as Habit did the same thing to Incarnath as she had to herself; only it produced a very different sound then last time. So...Would a Green Weyrling sound like that? Because the larger dragons had larger stomachs anyway, and if you went off sound alone, say...On a Green, and you thought from the sound that they couldn't chew, yet they could...Wouldn't that cause so many problems? Karla bit her lip to keep the half formed question in her mind, and not have it coming out of her mouth. Did dragons have two stomachs? That made her blink. Oh, that threw her question completely out of the window. She'd forgotten about that...Which meant that you'd only hear one stomach anyway, in a Gold or non clutching dragon...Oh, so it was all okay.

Habit's question made her jump, and she smiled while waving her free hand as she stepped to the side, face tilting out of curiosity. Vesuviath nodded, standing up a little straighter, though she wasn't sure if that was what the Healer wanted. Perhaps you might tell - 'I do know, darling.' Karla waited a moment before asking. "The noise Vesuviath makes would be compared to Frostith, yes?"
Morgan
Posted: Dec 25 2009, 10:00 PM

Weyrling

Member No.: 4

Magorian stroked Rubellith, admiring (not for the first time) her lovely hide. It was sort of silvery, with the two red spots on the sides. Its overall form made Maggie think “girl,” but apparently she couldn’t be too sure. Rubbelith did not know. Maggie had asked a few times. If she was, though, there were many possibilities. If Rubellith was female in the manner of Dafnierth, she would clutch. That was the best part.

“We could rule the Weyr, Rue,” Magorian said happily, bending down to examine what looked like a patchy spot of skin. She reached up to her shelf and pulled down the jar of oil she usually used for Marvin. It was much too small to work for Rubellith’s whole hide, but it was great for one or two patches. Rubellith’s back arched gracefully, enjoying the attention.

Of course. The Weyr would be ours, but you would still be Mine, yes? Rubellith asked fiercely. Magorian immediately agreed. “Yes. Most definitely.”

Marvin, who was curled up on Maggie’s cot, did not seem too pleased with the prospect. He chirped desolately at the pair. You shush, silly pet, Rubellith hissed admonishingly. Marvin glared at her, but curled back up into his tight ball. It was clear who had the control in their relationship. Magorian, feeling a bit sorry for her fire lizard (who, after all, had Impressed her first), reached out and stroked him for a bit. Then Rubellith bristled.

Cirdoth calls us. I do not want to go. He says something about the Weyrhealer and firestone. Whether I can chew it.

So it was that Healer? Magorian did not know what to think of her yet. But finding out whether Rubellith could chew firestone was important. It was one step closer to finding out where they stood in the Weyr, or would stand when they graduated at least. “We MUST go, Rue. We simply have to,” Magorian said forcefully. Rubellith gave a huge sigh and got up heavily, to show how unwilling she was to follow directions. “Stay here, Marvin,” Magorian said to her fire lizard. He just glared at her, then went back to moping.

When she got down to where the rest of the Weyrlings were gathered, Vesuviath was getting checked out by Habit. Rubellith came to a stop a little ways away from the other chrome. We are not going near to that, it said in a prissy manner. Magorian was a little concerned that her dragon did not care for the only other of its color. They had to work together, especially when others did not seem to like Rubellith that much. She shook her head and marched up to E’uan.

“I am here with Rubellith. Are we going to find out the genders of the chromes today?” she asked bluntly, but quietly. With the other part of her attention, she was listening to Habit explain what they were doing.
Bookworm
Posted: Dec 28 2009, 02:37 PM

Egg

Member No.: 5

S'lin was sprawled out on his cot, dozing off. Being a weyrling was hard work. He had to oil and feed Seleniuth constantly, and there were lessons to attend. That was, when he decided to attend them--he had skipped the first one outright. He jerked awake again when Seleniuth nudged his side. Cirdoth calls us. Come. This is important, and I do not think you should miss it.

Ugh--I'm probably going to get in trouble for skipping, S'lin thought, grimacing and rubbing his eyes as he sat up. Maybe that too, but he says it is about flaming. Everyone will be there.

"Flaming?" S'lin grinned, swinging his feet down to the floor and getting up. This was going to be interesting. "Come on, then, let's go."

Not surprisingly, the pair were still the last to show up, and it looked like they were late too. Habit was holding some kind of tuning fork up to Incarnath, and S'lin had missed the explanation about what it was, so he had no idea what was going on. Still, best not to show he was confused. He folded his arms and stood beside Seleniuth, hoping he could catch on.
obeah
Posted: Dec 28 2009, 04:29 PM

Weyrling

"You're right, Karla," Habit told the girl calmly. "Frostith's just the right size. Jaspith might also have worked well for comparison, but I don't think Cirdoth called her here."

Frostith bugled happily at the mention of his name. He stepped forward, and Berlioz followed him awkwardly. His tail switched against her legs in excitement, but one look from Berlioz stopped that. "Inhale," she told the small blue, then struck the tuning fork. Frostith held his breath. Unconsciously, so did Berlioz. She held the fork against him in various positions, finally finding two stomachs. It had taken a long time, and Habit realized this was going to be a considerably less clean set of results compared to what she wanted. Still, it was their best shot at figuring it out before the Gather.

You're late, Cirdoth told Seleniuth rather pointedly. E'uan shot a look in the brown's direction. Despite the wall between them, it was apparent to Cirdoth what his rider wanted of him. Come in quickly, then, he admonished the sable. Habit's just finishing with Vesuviath. She'll do Rubellith and Indigolith, then you. Though Cirdoth seemed a little nonplussed by all of this, E'uan was excited to see what the results were.

Habit knelt in front of Vesuviath next. "Inhale?" she asked the mauve dragon. She struck the fork and listened to the resonance, moving it centimeter by centimeter where she expected a second stomach. Nothing. Still nothing. She bit her lip, told Vesuviath to take another breath, and tried once more. First a subtle shift, then a definite resonance. A grin broke out on her face. "Hear that?" she asked Karla. "Vesuviath can chew," she told the blonde girl, straightening to her full height without showing too much of the pain in her knee. "Her stomach is small, but so is she, so I'm pretty sure I'm right about this." She looked up at E'uan, who tucked a dreadlock behind his ear so he could see her better. "It might be easier to compare if Sugilith were here?" she told him, pointing out in a sideways way that she really wanted the other mauve to test. Vesuviath's stomach was small enough that there was a degree of doubt, which might be eased by way of the other mauve's results.

She turned to Magorian. "I can't tell you much about genders," she told the girl. They seem functionally hermaphrodite as far as I can tell, she grumbled mentally, though she didn't say it aloud for fear of Maggie thinking she was prejudiced. "I'll see if I can devise a test like this for that later." She pointed at Vesuviath with an open hand. "But Dafnierth and probably Vesuviath are female and can chew like greens." She looked down at Rubellith. "May I test her and Indigolith next?" she asked, gesturing for R'hit to come closer with a tilt of her head.
Morgan
Posted: Dec 28 2009, 04:49 PM

Weyrling

Magorian was rather put out. I guess they are not going to tell us right now. We are going to have to wait for you to Rise or Chase or neither for the moment, Rue, she said silently. If Habit was such a great healer, though, she should be able to tell the gender of a dragon. But, she guessed that if Dafnierth, Rubellith's own mother, couldn't tell her, and Rubellith herself didn't know, no Healer who did not have a dragon would know either.

We will compensate by learning whether I can flame or not, Rubellith reassured her. She strode up to Habit, who had just finished with Vesuviath. Magorian followed quickly behind. She did not want to miss anything. She wondered whether Vesuviath could Flame or not. I heard. She can, Rubellith said promptly. It stopped in front of Habit, looking rather annoyed. Tell her I will go first, the Chrome told Its.

Magorian wondered why Rubellith was in such a hurry. I am proving that I am better than Indigolith, Rubellith said. Oh. Magorian inclined her head breifly to Habit. "Rubellith wants to go first. Thank you for doing this, too," she said. Even if the Healer couldn't tell her some of the most important information about her dragon.
akusma
Posted: Dec 29 2009, 08:53 AM

Weyrling

Karla smiled brightly at Habit as she agreed with her, tugging Darya back into the crook of her arm so she coud lift her onto her shoulder - properly, as opposed to Trinket's position. Oh! That was wonderful! Then maybe if Vesuviath could flame then she'd have a flame similar to a Blue, though it was more likely to be a Green, and Karla did wish some of the other normal colours had arrived. But they weren't exactly needed, and, and she was sure they might have had better things to do. Dragonets had to be looked after, after all, and that took up an awful lot of people's time. So, since it wasn't directly related to them they didn't really have to be here at all. They knew if there dragons could fight thread or not. Thought Karla felt the impish urge to spread some little whispers that considering Dafnierth's heratage, even the normal colours might be missing their second stomach...It made her giggle, but Vesuviath knew she wouldn't do that. With a sigh the Mauve nudged her thigh, sitting while she was not needed.

The blond shushed her quietly outloud, put out that she'd spoil her daydreams like that. It took a little while for Habit to find the stomach on the smaller beast, and for a moment she began to worry. Vesuviath was a bit smaller then the Blue, and they knew where his was going to be. Vesuviath's could be in her tail for all they knew. I doubt that, Karla, the Mauve sighed, tail twitching slightly. Karla pouted at her, but the look was replaced with a bright smile when the Healer came towards them. Vesuviath stood, shaking slightly as a dog might before lowering her head and taking a deep breath in. Both dragon and rider tilted their heads when Habit told Vesuviath to breath in again. She did so hesitantly, Karla copying her movements precisely. Did this mean she couldn't flame? Habit tried again, and this time, this time, Karla heard a different note.

She squealed slightly, clapping and bouncing on the balls of her feet when it was proclamed that Vesuviath could chew 'stone. Yes! That would show them! Show who? 'Oh, you know! Them! The Weyr!' Vesuviath snorted at her rider's childish behaviour, but hummed slightly with her. "Oh that's wonderful! Thank you ever so much Habit!" she chirped, kneeling next to Vesuviath to deposit Darya at her paws and Trinket on her back so she could hug her.

I am female, Vesuviath calmly told Habit and Magorian, along with Rubellith and the other dragons here. While the Chromes may not know their own gender, she did. Speaking of Chromes...Vesuviath frowned slightly as Rubellith placed herself first, before it's sibling. Indigolith had been called up first, and it would be better for both it and it's rider if that happened. Rubellith...Habit had called Indigolith first. Let it go first. Her tone was short, but calm and gentle. She was trying to be kind and simply ask for something, as was proper.
Morgan
Posted: Dec 29 2009, 09:52 AM

Weyrling

Rubellith glared daggers at Vesuviath. How could that prissy snit DARE takl to Its? When it was standing right there, no less! What did my sister say to you, Mine? Why was she talking to you? Rubellith demanded. She should not do that. She has no need to. Magorian quickly truned to her dragon, stroking it to try to calm it. "It was nothing, dearest. She was just confirming what you, an intelligent dragon, already knew. Vesuviath says that she is female." Rubellith snorted dangerously. Everyone knew that already. You should go away now, Vesuviath, she said to the Mauve. You are not needed here.

Magorian saw a threat to her ambitions. "Rubellith, play nice, now. She is your sister, after all, and I think she was just making sure that we knew." She lowered her voice. "I think she is jealous of how mysterious you are. That is all." She could not have Rubellith mess things up because she gets half of the Weyr mad at her. That would not do at all. She stroked her some more. "Calm, dearest. You don't need to work yourself up over her. Calm down..."

Rubellith did not need Vesuviath's help. Does order really matter, sister? she said, her tone stoic but with a dangerous edge. "No, it doesn't, Rue," Magorian said hastily. "Order doesn't matter at all." Rubellith looked up at her. "Then why don't we let Indigolith go first? You both are the same color. It shouldn't matter." Rubellith grumbled. I got here first. I am bigger. Habit said it and Indigolith, meaning me first. There are a multitude of reasons.

It turned on Vesuviath again. What does it matter to YOU, Vesuviath? It doesn't affect you any. You already know what you are! It sounded slightly hysterical now, and Magorian wondered if that was because it too wanted to know more about itself.
akusma
Posted: Dec 29 2009, 10:19 AM

Weyrling

Vesuviath bristled at the Chrome's tone, but did nothing other then stare cooly at her with a level gaze. Perhaps had it been another time and place, with fewer Weyrlings about her, she might have done as it had said. However...Now, she was slightly annoyed at the Chrome's arrogant tone. The dragon had no concept of love, or caring. If you insist; but it is not you I stay for, Rubellith. She had an idea of why the other dragon was upset, but it was not Vesuviath's problem. She'd spoken to Rubellith as well, and if it chose not to listen then it was not her fault. She could not more control another dragon then Karla could. Said blond merely blinked and shrunk slightly beside the dragon, lowering her head to tighten her lips and bite slightly on the bottom one. 'Vesuviath...' Don't worry, Karla. I will not say anything that does not need to be said.

That didn't really make Karla calm. She sighed slightly, reaching to pat the Mauve's nose before glancing at the other pair. She didn't want to get on Magorian's bad side, she really didn't! But...Rubellith was perhaps being slightly childish...Though Vesuviath was sticking her nose in where it shouldn't be! As far as Karla was concerned, either could go first, they were of the same colour, but Vesuviath was determinded that Indigolith should go first. It and it's rider need to rest. They cannot do that here. And if that arrogant creature cannot see that, then it is not my fault. Karla bit her lip even more, but did nothing other then drop her hands to her lap. Vesuviath sighed, nudging Darya from her paws with a gentle snort. So she was on her own in this matter.

Rubellith's ranting were getting on her nerves. I care because it seems you do not have the ability to, she said cooly, lowering her head to the larger dragonet with a certain level of respect. A level that was quickly dropping. If you are blind enough to think that nothing matters that does not envolve you then you are sorely mistaken. Now that was tensely said. Karla jumped slightly and gathered the two flitts back into her arms, ignoring Trinket's mad scramble for her head, and letting her cling to the side.

"I'm sorry! She's not normally...She doesn't...Vesuviath isn't...She's not normally this..." No matter how she tried she could not find the word. It wasn't so much as agressive, or outspoken, but..."She doesn't normally get involved like this. I'm ever so sorry, Magorian, we'll go in a bit. I just want to see if your beautiful dragonet and Indigolith can flame. I'm ever so sorry."
Morgan
Posted: Dec 29 2009, 12:10 PM

Weyrling

Rubellith stared right back at Vesuviath. IF there was going to be a staring contest, Rubellith would be the one to win it, no doubt about it. She was bigger, more driven, and, in its opinion, better than that stupid Mauve. She knew Vesuviath was stupid becuase she did not understand who she was dealing with. Magorian knelt down so that her head was level with Rubellith's. She had to keep her own dragon in check, or else others would think she was not strong enough for the Chrome. You must calm down, Rue. She was not doing anything more than talking. You must have heard her too... Rubellith considered. Well, yes, I heard her too, Mine, but why did she need to say it to Mine, too? You are Mine to talk to, not hers! Magorian just continued to stroke her snout, remembering the hatching, and how Rubellith had attacked Indigolith because it thought Indigolith was going to Impress Maggie. She had to prevent that.

She is of no importance to me, and should not be to you, either, Magorian reassured her dragon. Rubellith coldly regarded Vesuviath, not saying anything. Finally: But... she annoys me, Mine. She thinks she knows everything. She doesn't! I don't care whether she stays of goes, but she needs to get her stupid voice out of my head! It shook its head, as if it was trying to dislodge Vesuviath's voice.

Vesuviath's resoning got Rubellith's interest. Why do they need to do that? it asked. Now that you are reasoning with me, instead of ordering me about. Reasons were good to Rubellith. Moral arguments were not. They had not real value, and the more emotional, the less logical. Rubellith dealt in logic.

Vesuviath's assertion that she did not care was slander, pure and simple. I care. I care for Mine, first, then whatever Mine cares about. She wants to know about me, so I do, too. It matters to her, so it matters to me. You should get that, since you care about everything. Rubellith was trying to be nice. It knew Its had something called a "reputation," which must be upheld. That was more important than Vesuviath. Magorian hurriedly said to Rubellith, Rue, I care about no one getting hurt, too. Don't pick a fight with Vesuviath. You don't need to. We're going to find out about you one way or another.

Rubellith's gaze was still steady, but had less fight in it. Now it was just defensive. I don't need to listen to your more-good-than-thou talk any longer, Vesuviath. If Indigolith needs rest as much as you say he does, it may go first. You are only holding things up. After that, Rubellith looked away. Magorian was so relieved she smiled at Karla. "You can stay. I can't make you leave or keep you from going, of course, but I think it might be Rubellith. Her attitude may be infectious."
obeah
Posted: Dec 30 2009, 03:19 PM

Weyrling

Habit nodded as Vesuviath told her of her gender. The voice was giveaway enough, but that had been apparent from birth--Dafnierth had told Cirdoth, and Cirdoth easily believed it. She and E'uan had discussed genders about a sevenday ago. "Thank you, Vesuviath," she said quietly. Then she knelt between Rubellith and Indigolith, readying the sounding board. She beckoned Frostith a little closer, and the playful blue followed her orders.

At first, Habit waited patiently for Rubellith to finish talking. She wanted to do the larger chrome first, because Indigolith had been through enough mental trauma. It might be easier on the poor thing if she was able to show it what was going to happen on its similar sibling. It soon became apparent that Rubellith and Vesuviath were locked in conversation, and she wasn't about to do this without Rubellith's full attention. After several moments of watching different colors swirl into each dragon's eyes as they argued, Habit stood.

The corner of her mouth twitched, though even Habit herself would have a hard time placing why. If it wasn't sheer annoyance that they weren't behaving, perhaps it was the sudden pain in her leg from standing after having been kneeling so long, or perhaps a sudden twinge of jealousy. She thought she'd gotten over that, but maybe she hadn't. "Fine," she said, sitting crosslegged before Seleniuth instead. "I don't have time for argument," she said, looking over at the chrome and the mauve. "Incarnath, I need you over here. Breathe in?"

She tested the brown, who had quite an impressive firestone stomach. "Thank you, F'ryn, Incarnath." She turned to the sable. "S'lin, Seleniuth. I don't know if you heard the first explanation. Did you hear the two places on Incarnath that the tone got a little louder and clearer? Those were his normal stomach and his firestone stomach. I'm looking for yours, to check its size. May I?"

She put the end of the fork against Seleniuth's dark hide, finding his normal stomach rather readily. It sounded like he'd eaten recently, and she raised her eyebrows, slightly amused. It took her even longer to find his second stomach than it did on Vesuviath, though. Slightly higher in place than Incarnath's, and relatively small compared to his size. "It's really hard to tell, S'lin," she said quietly, continuing to try different angles. "It could just be the angle, but I'd like to test him again in a month or so, if we could. I'm leaning toward believing he can chew. The evidence is just less strong right now than I'm comfortable with." She closed her eyes and stood. "I wouldn't worry about it--the tests aren't as reliable as I'd like." It would have been much easier if we had a second sable, or more large dragons in general. I know nothing about natural variation. "Any questions?"

She turned to Rubellith, asking Magorian with her eyes whether Rubellith had finished and was ready to be tested.
Morgan
Posted: Dec 30 2009, 07:21 PM

Weyrling

((Short post is short))

See, look what Habit id, Rue. She decided that your business with Vesuviath was so important that she would do Selanuith before she did you. I hope you are proud of yourself, Magorian said admonishingly. Rubellith had the grace to look contrite. It also did not feel the need to brag to Vesuviath about being asked to be the first Chrome tested. Maggie watched the sable getting tested with interest. It seemed as if Habit couldn't find a stomach, and he was male! She supressed a giggle and said to Habit, "We are ready now, Healer."
obeah
Posted: Jan 1 2010, 01:20 PM

Weyrling

"Very well," Habit said, beckoning Frostith forward again. The blue's attention span was starting to run out, and his rider's wasn't much better. Still, there were only two dragons left, and Habit had learned something about Finger or whatever his rider was called. She liked being a hero, and perhaps she could use that to her advantage. She found the tone of his stomach again. Apparently she was getting better at it with practice. "Rubellith, you next. R'hit, if you could show Indigolith what I'm doing, so he'll be ready for it?"

"Alright, Rubellith, please hold your breath." She found the second stomach on the larger chrome near-instantly. There was no doubt this dragon would be able to flame impressively, as the stomach she found seemed even slightly larger than Frostith's. "Rubellith will chew," Habit announced, deftly avoiding the issue of gender pronouns. "Undoubtedly. There's a large stomach, possibly bigger than Frostith's." She didn't avoid the comparison, even though it was true. Let the chrome figure out how to deal with its ego problem, or not, Habit didn't care as long as it didn't interfere with her job.

"Indigolith, may I?" She proferred the tuning fork, then went to work. It took several strikes of the fork to find the second stomach on Indigolith, though it was not quite as difficult as it had been with Seleniuth. Perhaps this dragon was a little thirsty, or energy that might have gone to growth had gone to healing early in his days. Whatever the case, Habit did find a firestone stomach, though it was smaller than Rubellith's. "I think Indigolith will also chew. Like with Seleniuth, I'd like to test this again in two months if that's okay with you, R'hit?"
Morgan
Posted: Jan 3 2010, 11:51 PM

Weyrling

Rubellith trotted forward at Habit’s beckoning, glad that it was at last time to learn whether it could flame or not. Magorian also leaned toward her eagerly. It was time to learn everything that she wanted to know. Or, almost everything. A good part of her and Rubellith’s status relied on whether Rubellith could flame or not. Another part relied on whether it was a clutching female or not, but at the moment that was a mystery, and not about to be solved by any means any time soon. So she would settle for the ability to flame now. Imagine if Rubellith turned out to be just like Dafnierth, though. Magorian almost grinned with pleasure.

Rubellith held its breath dutifully. The weird sound thing moved through its body, and the Healer told Its that it would clutch. Of course. Now you don’t have to carry around one of those awkward flamethrowers, MagorianMine, it said, its tone obviously self-satisfied. I would love to see what Indigolith can do. If we are the same color, though, we are not so different are we? Magorian considered. You are bigger than Indigolith, Rue, I will give you that. Maybe it is actually different from you in some way.

It turned out, Habit was rather unsure about Indigolith’s chewing capabilities, and would need to check on them again later. At least we know about me, Rubellith said, pleased that it had done better than Indigolith, no matter what that wherry Vesuviath said. Now, let’s go before I decided that Vesuviath is too annoying. Magorian was only too pleased to oblige her dragon.
akusma
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 04:30 PM

Weyrling

The Mauve sighed at Rubellith's ignorance, tilting her head to the side to look at her with imploring eyes. The Chrome was blind if she couldn't see what was going on around her. Because they were hurt and should be resting, that is why, she said quietly, nodding her thanks to Rubellith for being slightly more civil then she had been before. Perhaps this dragon was not so bad if she was willing to look past things and be responsible and civil, to hear the otherside of the arguement. There might be hope after all. Karla stifled a giggle. Vesuviath was sounding awfully arrogant herself, and stubborn, so she didnt quite get why the Mauve was so upset! But she did care about R'hit as well, but the other Chrome might not even be listening in to the conversation, so it was all going to watse! And if they continued at it for much longer Habit would just give up and go onto the next pair, which would make the aruement even more useless! Luckily she did not tell Vesuviath that. It's reasoning about caring made her regret feeling any sort of care for the dragon a moment later. Selfish, to think only of your other half and yourself, though doing so was important. If you think so, Rubellith, she sighed, dropping her head again before turning to Karla.

Karla shifted, looking down at the ground slightly. Oh, this was not going well! She had never wanted anyone to dislike her, especially not in the group! She just wanted to be nice to everyone, she could still do that, right? Only if Vesuviath made Rubellith hate her, then her chances with Magorian were close to none. She huffed slightly as she stood, deciding instantly that this was definately not a good way to start! They had to have lessons with these people! They had to at least be on good terms. The Mauve sighed with her and rested her muzzle against the blond's thigh. She hadn't meant to upset her, but the other Chrome had to start realising that proving herself better then everyone else was not as important as looking after it's fellow dragons, and the riders. She has to understand- 'But it's not in her nature to! I don't want her to change her naure, she's perfectly fine the way she is - if slightly selfish - and, and...I just don't want people to be upset.' If you wish, Karla... Karla smiled brightly, nodding firmly as she hummed a tune in her mind. That was much better! Maybe everyone could get along now...Though there was no need to go and say that! Vesuviath kept her comments on the way the Chrome had phrased (coming to her mind more out of the need to find some fault in the other dragon then actually minding) before speaking. I do not believe myself better then you, Rubellith. You are larger and therefore hold more rank, how can I be better?

Magorian's smile made Karla's brighter, and for a moment she forgot about the dragon's quarrel and focussed on the other girl. "Thank you! I do hope it's just Vesuviath being over protective or something, it'd be horrible if they didn't get along after this," she mused, turning to face Vesuviath with a thoughtful expression before facing Habit once that was over. Oh, bother. She should have paid more attention to Magorian. Icarneth was tested again, followed by the only Sable in the class. Oh, even the Chromes had another one of themselves, all poor Seleniuth had in his own colour was himself...But he had his siblings and as Karla watched him she hoped that was enough. But if Dafnierth rose again soon, there might be more! Oh, more of the new colours would simply be amazing! Perhaps the Weyr might get used to them, then...And more people might stand just incase they Impressed to one of the normal colours! But then again, after the Garnet that died they might not...Oh, she did hope they would!

Seleniuth can chew, though Habit is unsure. She blinked, looking towards the rest of the group. Oh, she'd missed it! The sounds were rather pretty, she thought, and she'd wanted to hear what the Sable's sounded like. But it was Rubellith's turn now, and Vesuviath said nothing. Karla resting a hand on her head, smiling brightly and bouncing on her toes while she watched. So far everyone was able to chew...Well, Seleniuth might not be able to do so well later on, but everyone else could. Frostith was checked for comparison, and then Rubellith was told to breath in and then - there! Sound. Clear toned sound, large sound. She would chew! Oh, brilliant! It was a lovely sound as well! Maybe all of them being able to chew would help the other Holds and Halls accept them? She dearly hoped so. Another G'rouf was more then she wanted. Indigolith was next...Karla stopped breathing for a moment as she watched, even Trinket falling silent as they waited on the announcement. The sound wasn't all that good...Oh, he could! But Habit was unsure...That wasn't so bad!

"Thank you, Habit!" Karla chirped brightly with the smallest curtsey she had ever done (with two fire-lizards in your arms it wwas hard enough) before turning towards the door, following Magorian. She paused slightly, letting the girl go through before she even started walking across the room properly 'If I have to tip-toe around her for the rest of our Weyrlinghood, I blame you, love.' I do not mind. Karla giggled and walked out, nodding to the people she knew before slipping through the door.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Weyrling Barracks | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1940 seconds | Archive

Affilitations:

Iayla Weyr - 10th Pass Pern RPLibertas Weyr Evergen Weyr - Pern RPAyden WeyrBack to the Beginning
Dragon Canyon WeyrBlack Obsidian Weyr
Western WeyrIllyria Weyr