InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Shootin Talk. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Gun rack plans
Savo
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 02:42 AM

pr love.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

does anyone know of plans for a upright gun rack?

sorta like this:
user posted image
only have it mounted on a wall like you see in old west movies at the sheriffs office.

edit: like this:
user posted image

--------------------
we rock the edge, brother.
BadMan
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 07:10 AM

We don't dial 9-1-1 Watch where you point that thing!

Member No.: 7

--------------------
...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
What part of "not be infringed" don't you understand?

9-1-1- is for taking care of cleanup and body disposal. Hi, I'm Bill Day and I approve this message.

user posted image
Bountyhunter
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 08:55 AM

Hired Gun

Member No.: 3

Check with the Reno County 4-H Shooting Sports folks. They should have all sorts of plans.

--------------------
No Birth Certificate--No Census!!.
Bountyhunter
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 04:58 PM

Hired Gun

Hey Steve--

How long would it take us to knock out a set of plans like that bottom pic that Savo has?

Savo--how many guns you want it to hold? Shiite, aint no use dirtyin up a saw blade for less than a dozen is there?

Steve, lets see what we can knock out on Auto Cad. I can email plan to you and we can convert it to jpg. If they want a full sized blueprint they can send ya some green foldin money to cover the cost of the plot. What'cha think?

SAVO---JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU GOTTA HAVE A WALL THAT WILL HOLD THIS UP. IF YOU FIGGER AN AVERAGE OF 9 POUNDS PER GUN, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A WALL THAT WILL HOLD UP ABOUT A HUNDRED POUNDS BY THE TIME YOU HANG THE RACK AND PUT THE GUNS IN IT.

Bill

--------------------
Roland
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 06:54 PM

Member No.: 25

I have been looking to buy a two gun gun rack. Want it horizontal for the wall to hold my old single shot shot gun and my old 303 Enfield in my cowboy room.

I can not find a rack to buy anywhere in town.
Hoss Fly
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 07:11 PM

Member No.: 6

Shoot - Looks like ya dun got the "plans" rolleyes.gif
Just get sum old barn wood or i like weathered cedar & GIT-R-DUN tongue.gif
Seriously, just use the guns ya got to go buy, most any single barreled shooter is gonna be bout the same size as far as butt to beginnin of barrel ( you want a mite of play anywho ) - be sure to make a couple of double barrel spaces rolleyes.gif

--------------------
SASS#63711
East Texas Redneck
Savo
Posted: Jun 27 2006, 10:02 PM

pr love.

QUOTE (Bountyhunter @ Jun 27 2006, 06:58 PM)
Hey Steve--

How long would it take us to knock out a set of plans like that bottom pic that Savo has?

Savo--how many guns you want it to hold? Shiite, aint no use dirtyin up a saw blade for less than a dozen is there?

Steve, lets see what we can knock out on Auto Cad. I can email plan to you and we can convert it to jpg. If they want a full sized blueprint they can send ya some green foldin money to cover the cost of the plot. What'cha think?

SAVO---JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU GOTTA HAVE A WALL THAT WILL HOLD THIS UP. IF YOU FIGGER AN AVERAGE OF 9 POUNDS PER GUN, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A WALL THAT WILL HOLD UP ABOUT A HUNDRED POUNDS BY THE TIME YOU HANG THE RACK AND PUT THE GUNS IN IT.

Bill

oh now you dont got to do that, i was just wondering if anyone had a gun rack like that for a project my dad and me are doing, and we aren't going to mount it on a wall, we're going to make a drawer under it and it'll sit on the floor in my parents room.

it'll take a few months to get it right and finish it nice but afterwards it'll be good.

--------------------
Loudguns
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 01:58 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

When your done, if you don't mind post a few pics. I was thinking about a gun rack myself and this sounds like a great project. Good luck. cool.gif

--------------------
Savo
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 01:20 PM

pr love.

no problem, i'm not sure when we'll be starting on it though, we've still got quite a few boxes to unpack and stuff is moving kinda slow pace. dry.gif

--------------------
BadMan
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 03:02 PM

I want to do some singles that are horizontal like this one, gun rack, to put over doorways in our downstairs.

I was really thinking of just taking barnwood(with no holes in it) and putting some dowl in with some felt on them for the barrel to rest on and one to slide through the trigger guard...

--------------------

9-1-1- is for taking care of cleanup and body disposal. Hi, I'm Bill Day and I approve this message.

user posted image
kansashunter
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 08:57 PM

Member/Moderator

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (BadMan @ Jun 28 2006, 08:02 PM)
I want to do some singles that are horizontal like this one, gun rack, to put over doorways in our downstairs.

I was really thinking of just taking barnwood(with no holes in it) and putting some dowl in with some felt on them for the barrel to rest on and one to slide through the trigger guard...

If you are gonna have the guns loaded, I'd think twice about sliding a trigger guard over a dowel. Too much opportunity for an accidental discharge. Remember, safety's are mechanical devices and can fail.

Just the Hunter Safety instructor comin out in me, again. tongue.gif

Steve

--------------------
I calculate revenge in Feet per Second!
Bountyhunter
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 09:04 PM

Hired Gun

Using the lower pic as a pattern, I drew up a set of simple plans on Auto Cad and emailed them to Steve. He worked on them a bit this morning and will post them here as a jpg file so that you can copy and print them. The .dwg files that we use for AutoCad, you wouldnt be able to open unless you had the appropriate version of AutoCad. Steve teaches drafting, so he has all the toys there.

Turning it sideways and making a horizontal rack wouldnt be any large problem. I am also planning on making a rather unique "coat rack" that attaches to a wall near any outside door. It has pegs across the bottom to hold coats, but the top is a shallow cabinet just large enough to hold a sawed off shotgun. The fold down door can have a mirror on it or be decorated with art work of some sort to draw attention away from the offset depth. In case of need, you just pull down the door and access your loaded peace-maker.

Bill

--------------------
Bountyhunter
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 09:11 PM

Hired Gun

Bill,

You can take a pair of front feet off a doe or fawn deer and skin em out and get forms from Cabelas and other places and put the skin back on and make the bent deer foot racks also. I say doe or fawn because they are typically smaller. Sheite, you can use a moose if ya got a wall gun big enough!!.

My grandpa used to take pieces of barn board and then he cut thumb sized forked limbs off the mulberry tree, (Use any tough wood with a smoothe bark) and then cut one of the forks off so that it left a short piece of limb with a distinct bend in it. He stuck these in holes in the board and fastened them with horseshoe nails. He just laid the rifle on this rack, one limb behind the trigger guard and one under the forearm. Ya make it to either fit yer gun or your door. The little cabinet/coathanger is good if you wanna keep the gun mostly outta sight.

Bill

Steve, take that plan and extend the bottom down about ten inches and stick a drawer in it, ok? Eh,,,,,,,make it look like the top one.....
BC

--------------------
BadMan
Posted: Jun 29 2006, 08:03 AM

QUOTE (kansashunter @ Jun 28 2006, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (BadMan @ Jun 28 2006, 08:02 PM)
I want to do some singles that are horizontal like this one,  gun rack, to put over doorways in our downstairs.

If you are gonna have the guns loaded, I'd think twice about sliding a trigger guard over a dowel. Too much opportunity for an accidental discharge. Remember, safety's are mechanical devices and can fail.

Just the Hunter Safety instructor comin out in me, again. tongue.gif

Steve

Nah these would be more or less display pieces. Some old stevens and marlins etc when I get my hands on what I want. Maybe and old sharps....

--------------------

user posted image
Bountyhunter
Posted: Jun 29 2006, 10:35 AM

Hired Gun

An unloaded gun is merely a finely machined, well oiled club.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | General Guns | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2536 seconds | Archive