Fragile Freddy

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Station. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Cubs & White Sox brawl, Love those rivalries..
adam & doctor drew
Posted: May 20 2006, 01:10 PM

Legendary

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

check it out later..
hate to defend an a-hole like A.J. Pierzynski, but I didn't see him do anything wrong.

it was a clean play at the plate and his bumping into Barrett afterward seemed accidental.

--------------------
"I love you. That is not a Seinfeld quote. That is me, telling you, ADD, that I love you."
-troy

"Imagine Ogden and Jefferson in the post the next 10 years."
-Sully

"Could be. I am just speaking from opinion. I don't know anything. Really."
-Scott

"How many different movies has Stallone had 220 volts stuck up his ass and lived to tell about it?"
-BB

TN
Posted: May 20 2006, 01:16 PM

Failed Writer and Musician

Group: Admin
Member No.: 19

ADD: AJ got up from the collision and punched his fist in the air. I imagine he also said something in the emotion of the moment. Barrett responded with one of the best baseball punches of all time. I think AJ's rep preceded him but he acted like Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse in a meaningless all-star game. You don't stand and exult over a guy you just knocked on his ass.

As a recent example, when Mark Teixeira leveled Posada the other night, he got up, looked at Posada with some concern, and then went back to the dugout. That's how a true pro handles it. ninja.gif

--------------------
Mount Rushmore is a nice place to visit.
adam & doctor drew
Posted: May 20 2006, 01:25 PM

Legendary

I saw 87 replays, TN and it didn't look like A.J.'s lips were moving.
I suspect Barrett and the Cubs are just frustrated over an awful season and this was a chance to release some of that frustration.

you're right about A.J.'s rep preceding him.
and of course the WWE stuff afterward was typical Pierzynski.
he should probably be on his toes facing Zambrano tomorrow.

--------------------
"I love you. That is not a Seinfeld quote. That is me, telling you, ADD, that I love you."
-troy

-Sully

-Scott

"How many different movies has Stallone had 220 volts stuck up his ass and lived to tell about it?"
-BB

TN
Posted: May 20 2006, 01:30 PM

upon further review, AJ didn't punch his fist in the air as i thought, he slapped home plate to great effect after knocking barrett over. i cann't believe he wasn't saying or grunting something.

and i agree: the cubs are frustrated and probably have heard just about enough about the white sox and their success.

maybe the yankees should start a fight with the few players they have left. sometimes you need a good fight to stop the bleeding. casey stengel and his pupil, billy martin, always believed that a fight was a good way to end a slump, to stop players from thinking about themselves. ninja.gif

--------------------
adam & doctor drew
Posted: May 20 2006, 01:38 PM

Legendary

Darrin Jackson is the color guy on Fox and he said the exact same thing about a fight bringing a team together.
he thinks it could really help the Cubs, who clearly need all the help they can get.

it did seem to help the Red Sox in '04.

--------------------
-troy

-Sully

-Scott

-BB

TN
Posted: May 20 2006, 02:23 PM

ADD: I seem to recall that fight in 2004. I remember my first reaction was I was pissed at A-Rod for reacting like a baby to getting hit by a curve ball. Plus he violated the old axiom of letting sleeping dogs sleep. Just stupid on his part and my first good look inside that non-competitive mind of his. tongue.gif

--------------------
adam & doctor drew
Posted: May 20 2006, 02:45 PM

Legendary

totally agree, TN.
I know the media's often guilty of overhyping this kind of thing but the Red Sox were 9 over .500 at that time and had lost 4 of the previous 6.

the effects weren't immediate (they then lost 4 of the next 6), but they wound up 32 games over .500.

--------------------
-troy

-Sully

-Scott

-BB

adam & doctor drew
Posted: May 20 2006, 04:48 PM

Legendary

update: Barrett said after the game he regrets it, A.J. didn't say anything to him, Barrett was frustrated by the losing and he also didn't like A.J. coming towards him and toward the Cub dugout after scoring.
Barrett says he never saw A.J. hit the plate.

Dusty Baker and Barrett both said it was a clean play.

according to Pierzynski, Barrett talked to him, saying "I didn't have the ball, bitch."

too bad Sheriff didn't say that, it would be my new signature.

--------------------
-troy

-Sully

-Scott

-BB

TN
Posted: May 20 2006, 05:26 PM

ADD: Well, now that the full story is in, I guess AJ gets a pass.

I will say the White Sox are developing an arrogance about them that runs pretty deep for a team that just learned how to win late last year. Ozzie is kind of like Billy Martin with that fiesty attitude of his.

Maybe the big rivalry this summer is going to be Sox-on-Sox. ninja.gif

--------------------
Joe
Posted: May 21 2006, 12:16 AM

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13

Did Barrett and A.J. have a history at all? Does Barrett have a rep for this kind of thing? He doesn't strike me as the type to do something like that.

--------------------
Cliff: That's enough Normie, I'm waiting for an apology.

Norm: Great I'll drop it in the mail, that way I know you'll never get it.

Mike B is right!
« Next Oldest | Baseball | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1019 seconds | Archive