Fragile Freddy

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Station. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

2008 Draft
-BB-
Posted: Apr 22 2008, 05:42 PM

Paul Priore's Alter Ego

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

I was thinking the name Trevor Matich but Joe is right with Tony Mandarich. When the Pats drafted Matich I thought there was a BYU conspiracy in Boston. What was up with all those BYU guys that got drafted high and sucked. Just wasn't right.

--------------------
When asked what it feels like to have his name mentioned in the same breath as two all-time greats -- Williams and Yastrzemski, who played their entire careers in Boston -- Ortiz said: "Old."
Craig
Posted: Apr 26 2008, 03:17 PM

Clipboard Carrier

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

Shockingly, the Patriots picked a linebacker. Jerod Mayo, welcome to New England.

--------------------
Mac Daddy, on stalking my Twitter account:

"It is creepy. You had a beautiful wedding."
-BB-
Posted: Apr 27 2008, 05:28 PM

Paul Priore's Alter Ego

Member No.: 85

is this possibly the most puzzling draft of the Belichick era? the qb selection absolutely floored me. Time to start drinking again.

--------------------
When asked what it feels like to have his name mentioned in the same breath as two all-time greats -- Williams and Yastrzemski, who played their entire careers in Boston -- Ortiz said: "Old."
Craig
Posted: Apr 27 2008, 09:57 PM

Clipboard Carrier

Honestly, it puzzled me in the fact that they attempted to stock up at their weakest position. I'm so used to them drafting tight ends and offensive linemen that seeing them go directly at CB and LB was refreshing. I'm very impressed.

Edit: Just found this quote from Reiss:

Patriots coach Bill Belichick held a press conference to wrap up the Patriots' draft, and he opened on a light note.

"Who would have ever thought you would be covering a Bill Belichick draft with no offensive linemen, defensive linemen, or tight ends taken?" he said to the reporters sitting in front of him.

--------------------

bodhran
Posted: Apr 28 2008, 04:57 PM

Take Care

Member No.: 88

QUOTE (Jill D @ Apr 22 2008, 04:08 PM)
Trevor Matich? 1985 / Round: 1 / Pick 28

Did have a 12-year career, but primarily as a long-snapper. Hardly someone you have to waste a first-rounder on.

This made me remember an old Bruce and the Benchwarmers song from the sports huddle of my youth.

They took the song there is nothing like a Dame, and made it There is something in a name. It was about the non tough sounding name like Irving and Trevor on the Pats at the time.

--------------------
President of the Tim Wakefield Fan Club Station Chapter

Sports Fan yes

Basketball Fan No
Craig
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 04:00 PM

Clipboard Carrier

Craig (Quincy, MA): The Patriots had obvious needs at LB and CB and addressed that directly. I'm somewhat surprised that most analysts weren't that high on New England's draft. Is the feeling that they reached for Wheatley, O'Connell, Crable, etc?

Steve Muench: (4:36 PM ET ) I think they had a GREAT draft so don't look at me. I saw that Mel thought that they should have taken Iowa's Charles Godfrey over Wheatley. I agree with that on some level but Godfey may be a better fit at safety so I'm ok with the Wheatley pick. I think they did very well to get Mayo and Crable who was a great value in the third round. Finally, the O'Connel pick is one of the best they made in my opinion. At the risk of getting pummelled by comments, can anyone say Joe Montana and Steve Young? I know. O'Connell is no young at this point bu he tremendous upside and he should learn a lot from playing behind Brady.

--------------------

mike b
Posted: Apr 29 2008, 04:44 PM

Clipboard Carrier

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Craig @ Apr 29 2008, 05:00 PM)
Craig (Quincy, MA): The Patriots had obvious needs at LB and CB and addressed that directly. I'm somewhat surprised that most analysts weren't that high on New England's draft. Is the feeling that they reached for Wheatley, O'Connell, Crable, etc?

Steve Muench: (4:36 PM ET ) I think they had a GREAT draft so don't look at me. I saw that Mel thought that they should have taken Iowa's Charles Godfrey over Wheatley. I agree with that on some level but Godfey may be a better fit at safety so I'm ok with the Wheatley pick. I think they did very well to get Mayo and Crable who was a great value in the third round. Finally, the O'Connel pick is one of the best they made in my opinion. At the risk of getting pummelled by comments, can anyone say Joe Montana and Steve Young? I know. O'Connell is no young at this point bu he tremendous upside and he should learn a lot from playing behind Brady.

Damn that Mel. What does he know about football anyway?

user posted image

--------------------
mike b is right! -- mel hall, Oct. 20, 2008

mike b is a friggin' genius -- TN, Oct. 20, 2008

Mike B you're right. -- Slomo, Oct. 28, 2008

Bless you mike b. -- mel casey nee hall, Nov. 18, 2008

mike b is so right! -- TN, Nov. 21, 2008

I tend to believe that the possibilty exists of mike b being correct on this one -- mel hall, Dec. 9, 2008
slomo33
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 08:57 AM

Take Care

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Craig @ Apr 29 2008, 04:00 PM)

Who's Steve Muench?

--------------------
Mel's newest 5/16/12 - I'd kibosh Pierce for the 2 games in Philly and hope the week off helps him for Game 5.

QUOTE (Mel Hall @ Dec 18 2011, 08:01 PM)
Smo, can I fire Coughlin NOW??

Slomo - Dec 19 2011 - I would say absolutely but you know they are going to win their last two games to mess with you.
Craig
Posted: Apr 30 2008, 08:58 AM

Clipboard Carrier

Guy from Scouts Inc. that does NFL draft chats on ESPN.com.

--------------------

Craig
Posted: Apr 21 2010, 08:47 AM

Clipboard Carrier

QUOTE (slomo33 @ Apr 30 2008, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Craig @ Apr 29 2008, 04:00 PM)

Who's Steve Muench?

Shawn Crable was great value and Kevin O'Connell is the next Steve Young!

--------------------

« Next Oldest | Patriots/NFL | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5933 seconds | Archive