InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to PseudoRadio. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (29) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

What are you reading?
awful clever
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 10:42 AM

more awful than clever

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

So I thought I'd create a standard "what are you reading" thread. We discuss some new stuff in the weekly pull list thread but don't really discuss anything old anywhere.

Let's hear what you are re-reading, reading late, or thinking about picking up that isn't the newest or hottest thing out there.

This weekend, I read Atomic Robo Vol 2 and started The 5 Fists of Science & Light Brigade. I shouldn't even have to comment how awesome Robo is (Very), it may be the perfect comic. 5 Fists hasn't grabbed me yet, but I'm enjoying Light Brigade. There something quite interesting about angel wars.

--------------------
XBL:awful clever
Ewww! It's not a Jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap.
johneightu
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 11:22 AM

"I can't jump high, so I jump from high places." -

Member No.: 4

Light Brigade was a favorite of mine for awhile . . .

Great thread, Clever, I will make sure to come back here later tonight and post a few things.

--------------------
Burntweiners - A Comic Book Review & Discussion Podcast From Guys Who Know Less About Comics Than You Do!
www.burntweiners.com

"Dear Odd, if one's friends do not openly laugh at him, they are not in fact his friends. How else would one learn to avoid saying those things that would elicit laughter from strangers? The mockery of friends is affectionate, and innoculates against foolishness."
- Little Ozzie, speaking to Odd Thomas
prof_dresser
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 11:40 AM

I'm tryna getcha pizza wet

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm a big fan of LIGHT BRIGADE myself (thanks Croatoa!). If you like that, I'd suggest checking out BPRD: 1946. It's got a similar bent, though with vampires and mad Nazi scientists instead of angels. So I guess if you crossed ATOMIC ROBO with LIGHT BRIGADE, you'd get something resembling BPRD: 1946. laugh.gif

On my end, I currently re-read BATGIRL: YEAR ONE. I was reminded of it when we talked to Scott Beatty, and then saw it on the shelf at the library. That is a really good origin story. Lots of nice characterizations, fun moments, exciting moments, and of course the artistic stylings of Marcos Martin! Good, good stuff.

--------------------
user posted image
snakeheadfish
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 12:19 PM

The Prince of Cats

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (prof_dresser @ Mar 8 2010, 11:40 AM)
BATGIRL: YEAR ONE.

that's a great read right there.

Been catching up on some of my stockpile. Last few days, I've been reading X-Force (issues #1-20). I'm thinking that I'm going to trade in a large chunk of that run. Although I did like a handful of issues ...

--------------------
Raptr Forum Signature

I work part time at the best comic shop in my city. I teach Dungeons and Dragons on Wednesdays and sling comics on Saturdays.
croatoa
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 08:08 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Just read through Planetary from start to finish. It reminded me why I like to read Warren Ellis' stuff. I used to read everything he wrote, but his tendency to never finish things turned me away fo a while. I'm so glad it got completed finally. Now if he could finish Desolation Jones......
croatoa
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 08:10 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (prof_dresser @ Mar 8 2010, 11:40 AM)
I'm a big fan of LIGHT BRIGADE myself (thanks Croatoa!).

On my end, I currently re-read BATGIRL: YEAR ONE. I was reminded of it when we talked to Scott Beatty, and then saw it on the shelf at the library. That is a really good origin story. Lots of nice characterizations, fun moments, exciting moments, and of course the artistic stylings of Marcos Martin! Good, good stuff.

You're welcome.

Batgirl:Year One is also one of my favorites.
awful clever
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 08:28 PM

more awful than clever

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (croatoa @ Mar 8 2010, 08:08 PM)
Now if he could finish Desolation Jones......

+1

--------------------
XBL:awful clever
Ewww! It's not a Jewel, it's a dirty old piece of crap.
johneightu
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 09:06 PM

QUOTE (snakeheadfish @ Mar 8 2010, 12:19 PM)
Been catching up on some of my stockpile. Last few days, I've been reading X-Force (issues #1-20). I'm thinking that I'm going to trade in a large chunk of that run. Although I did like a handful of issues ...

My feelings on X-Force is this: The book feels like the writer and artists sit around, thin of 4 or 5 cool panels that could happen, and then try to craft a story over those "wow" moments. So I enjoy it and like reading it, but also feel like so much more could be done with it.

--------------------
Burntweiners - A Comic Book Review & Discussion Podcast From Guys Who Know Less About Comics Than You Do!
www.burntweiners.com

"Dear Odd, if one's friends do not openly laugh at him, they are not in fact his friends. How else would one learn to avoid saying those things that would elicit laughter from strangers? The mockery of friends is affectionate, and innoculates against foolishness."
jessej07
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 10:37 PM

Extra Time for Silly Race

Member No.: 45

I'm thinking about picking up one of them Ultimates omnibuses. I read most of the first Ultimates run (Millar?) and really liked it but for some reason never got around to reading the rest.

I'm currently reading the first Fables collected HC (Vol. 1 and 2. I think), which I really like but for some reason I'm reading very small amounts at a time.

I read Irredeemable vol. 1 over my trip last weekend and loved it, I'm a little bummed that it was just 4 issues I think, but I'll probably be getting vol. 2 and 3 and 4 and whatever else comes. Waid knows how to craft an intriguing story.

I want to re-read the Formerly Known as Justice League trade that I have, it cracked me up years ago.

I'm also considering getting Old Man Logan once I read some of the things I already have, then I plan on reading Y the Last Man.

This comic book stuff is really digging into my video game time (okay not really).

--------------------
user posted image
artofm2
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 07:09 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

Halfway through Batman Illustrated, vol. 3 by Neal Adams. Just finished a couple of weeks ago the Complete WildCATS run written by Alan Moore. It was actually better than I thought it would be.
snakeheadfish
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 10:51 AM

The Prince of Cats

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (croatoa @ Mar 8 2010, 08:08 PM)
Just read through Planetary from start to finish. It reminded me why I like to read Warren Ellis' stuff.

I just picked up Ellis' X-Men: Ghost Boxes hardcover. I had the single issues but with a story like that, it reads much better collected. I dug it so much I had to upgrade and trade back the singles.

jessej07 finish Ultimates. Vol. 1 it's the best. Vol. 2 and 3 are good follow-ups. People really bag on Vol. 3 but I don't agree with the complaints exactly. I really like Joe Mad's art so I'm biased. I've also got the Old Man Logan hardcover sitting in my stack to read, I can't believe I haven't read it yet. But like i said, I've got a lot of X-Men related books I'm plowing through right now. Fables took a few volumes to really grab me. I was finally sold once I read the Storybook Love storyline (issues 14-17 or Vol. 3).

artofm2 Travis Charest. Sooooo good. One of my fave runs of Wildcats right there. A bit of news that may make you shake your head. I broke my Neal Adams Batman pint glass while washing dishes. Ugh.

--------------------
Raptr Forum Signature

I work part time at the best comic shop in my city. I teach Dungeons and Dragons on Wednesdays and sling comics on Saturdays.
croatoa
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 12:34 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jessej07 @ Mar 8 2010, 10:37 PM)

I want to re-read the Formerly Known as Justice League trade that I have, it cracked me up years ago.

I read this a couple weeks ago. Laugh out loud funny!
jessej07
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 12:43 PM

Extra Time for Silly Race

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (croatoa @ Mar 9 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (jessej07 @ Mar 8 2010, 10:37 PM)

I read this a couple weeks ago. Laugh out loud funny!

It's been one of my favorites for a long time. I haven't read any Justice League stuff other than the Giffen/Maguire/Dematteis stuff, kind of weird I guess.

After reading that trade I picked up the single issues run of I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League (by the same team I think)... I have to recommend that as well, it's very funny.

--------------------
user posted image
HavokAndChaos
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 01:05 PM

Geek Lantern

Member No.: 56

Just finished reading the JSA tpb The Return of Hawkman. I now have a vague idea of Hawkman's story laugh.gif

--------------------
johneightu
Posted: Mar 9 2010, 01:59 PM

QUOTE (snakeheadfish @ Mar 9 2010, 10:51 AM)
jessej07 finish Ultimates. Vol. 1 it's the best. Vol. 2 and 3 are good follow-ups. People really bag on Vol. 3 but I don't agree with the complaints exactly.

I thought the talk from people about how bad it was was very exaggerated . . . until I got to Issue #3. Holy sweet hell is that terrible!

As for Formerly Known As Justice League, that was indeed a great series, as well as I Can't believe It's Not The Justice League. GO SUPER BUDDIES! I know it sounds dumb, but I would love if they took this team and set them in their own Universe, ala Ultimates or First Wave, so it was not in continuity and they could just run with a ton of crazy ideas.

You people read some awesome stuff!

--------------------
www.burntweiners.com

« Next Oldest | The Pull List & Out of Continuity | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (29) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1367 seconds | Archive