The Seven Clans of Vampire Hunters
The vampire hunters are as ancient as the vampire. There are – acknowledged - seven ancient clans: Adalwin, Yuryevich, de la Cruz, Chevalier, Harpur, Cauldhame and Ziegler. Initially they were the "clergy" or spiritual leaders and advisers of their tribes. They were professionals- meaning they possessed abilities that others did not possess, but abilities that were needed by fellows of the community. When the vampires made themselves known, these spiritual leaders developed physical and mental guards they forced upon themselves (Through the grace of God and ancient magick) to protect their people.
One of these developments was the birth of the seers. Each clan found themselves with a human with some sort of precognitive powers and a form of sixth sense when tracking vampires. Seers are, as a whole, physically weaker than their hunter counterparts, but a few of them have managed to attain heroic status in that they also became vampire hunters. (Note: such cases of a seer having the physical prowess to fight with vampires are rare. As a whole, seers are genetically built like your average humans, save for the capacity of their telekinetic powers.
Another development was of the hunters. These humans born to each clan have enhanced abilities, adaptive muscle memory and faster reflexes than most. Some hunters have the physical prowess equal to vampires, although they do not have the fast healing rate of their enemies.
Each hunter is marked since birth and taken from their immediate family to be trained by the clan leaders. They are given all sorts of skills ranging from hand to hand combat to long range fighting as well as academic tutoring. They lead isolated and sometimes lonely lives and are always at the beck and call of their leaders. Upon graduation they shed their family name and take upon the name of the hunter clan they joined. These names are as follow: Adalwin defer to ama for more information
(also known as Aldwin) Hunters of this clan are called Thaumiel, The Ruler. Initially the first of the Great House to pool together the strength of the hunter clans against the vampires, they remain still as the voice of reason among the seven families. They no longer hunt vampires. Have in fact stopped hunting for nearly a century and a half now, and their power in the Grand Council wanes as it is revealed they have allied with the vampires in their bid for coexistence. English in origin. Seer is taken. Harpur defer to ama for more information
(also known as Harper) Hunters of this clan are called Samael, the Avenger, the Deceiver. Their hunters are extreme, manifesting through acts of vengeance and blind retaliation, the vendetta which destroys the avenger as well as their victim. They are the first of the vampire hunters to call a truce with the vampires, earning them the disdain of the rest of the clan. No descendants of this clan know of their sacred duty of destroying the vampire race except for a select few. Scottish in origin. Seer is taken.Cauldhame defer to bee for more information
is Gabriel, the messenger. Noteworthy of this particular clan is the birth of twin hunters. Cauldhame boasts of a number of duo fighters who became stronger at the death of their sibling. Leaders of this clan have been known to sacrifice the weaker twin to make the remaining one even stronger. When they left the Grand Council, Cauldhame claim neutrality between the hunters and the vampires. Irish in origin. Seer and leader is taken.Chevalier defer to ashley for more information
- Hunters of this clan are called Michael, The Protector. This clan is known to be the more strictly-business one. Even within their clan, they aren't as close as families should be. They have sworn their lives completely towards hunting and protecting mankind. They are taught to never let their true emotions rule them and all hunters are treated as soldiers. They are raised with force and discipline.French in origin. Seer and leader is taken.Yuryevich defer to bee for more information
Hunters of this clan are called Raphael, The Healer. Even though they are a clan of warriors. Hunters most often favor brute strength over most other abilities, and will not accept any truce with the vampire families. Where hunters are physically strong, their seers are most often very physically weak, and rarely live long. To protect this seer, the eldest and most trusted hunters are sent to take care of the seer, make sure the outside world knows nothing about them. Most often, the seers powers are those of healing, to protect their hunters from the damage they may get juggernauting through obstacles. Russian in origin. Seer is taken. One possible leader is taken. de la Cruz defer to sina for more information
The de la Cruz clan derives its powers from Azrael, the angel of death. The clan's key values are loyality and teamwork. Hunters rarely work alone but are usually organized in independant teams of 3 to 5 hunters. Rogue hunters are adopted into the clan, though they do not receive the clan mark, provided they share the clan's view on vampire hunting. Azrael hunters show no mercy towards vampires, going so far as to willingly sacrifice innocents - supposedly even their very own seer. They are identified by the clan's mark tattooed between their shoulder blades. Spanish in origin. Seer is open (discuss with Bee).Ziegler
Hunters of this clan are called Ramiel, The Watcher. These Hunters favor their intellect, and are very much tacticians. They observe, and plan accordingly. Never will they go into battle unprepared. In structure they are only just familial — organization and a cold detachment from the world is prized in these Hunters, though towards each other they can be rather kind. They show each other compassion and caring, and this might extend towards other people, but it is not favored. These Hunters prefer to stay amongst each other. Rarely do they stray from the pack, so to speak, and when one does leave the group they are exiled, not hunted. Hunters know the value of a human life. German in origin. Seer is open.
As of now, only four of the ancient clans continue their fight against the vampires. The Harpurs (Now Harper), Adalwin (Now Aldwin), and Cauldhame long ago decided to stop fighting and instead try and make peace with the few remaining pure bloods and the mixed bloods.
Of the seven seers, only five are of the right age to enter the school as students. Cauldhame and Aldwin's seers are too old. In fact, Cauldhame’s seer is one hundred and twenty two years old and is nearing senility. (That said, she is the most powerful of the seers, with Precognition and Mind Reading as part of her telekinetic powers). No two seers have the same power and they are almost always limited by their age. To be too powerful a seer at such a tender age would lead to madness.
List of seers already attending the school:
- Katherine Harper – daughter of one of the leaders of the Harper Clan. Her powers are (unconscious) power sensing entwined with psychic link of pathfinding. This power cannot be controlled and more often than not lead its possessor to danger. She is drawn to any source of power, be it human, vampire, a place or an item, regardless if this might be bad for her health. Katherine has no idea of her powers.
- Horace De L'eau - has the ability of clairaudience, or psychic hearing. He hasn't yet learned to fully control what he hears, and picks up all sorts of random things like a radio. His power isn't really limited by distance from the event or time; most of what he hears is taking place in the present or recent past, but once in awhile he'll pick up on events from months, years, even decades ago.
- Ziegler open.
- Jelena Yuryevich – The seer of the Yuryevich clan, and also the first in almost a century to be seen by the outside world. She has the powers of healing, and just by touch can make any open wounds disappear. With a great amount of energy, she can also give energy to help heal the sick, or release energy to help the sleep deprived. Lena knows of her powers, but rarely uses them if she can help it.
- Jordan Vega - (Adoptable Seer) The de la Cruz seer's gift is “knowing” the truth from a lie like a person with sight would know black from white. This ability does come in handy when you think your boyfriend is cheating on you, but it does require Jordan to consciously use it. She needs to be in the proximity of the person lying to her, meaning she can’t tell whether someone lies when she talks to them on the phone or via another medium. Neither does her ability work on written notes, like letters, although she has the theory that this should be possible.
List of powers for seers that are no longer available for other seers
- Clairaudience - psychic hearing
- Empathy - Ability to read or sense the emotions and/or control the emotions or feelings of others.
- Healing - Ability to heal others of wounds and any sickness one may have, so long as the wound or illness is not fatal.
- Illusion - Ability to alter or deceive the perceptions of another through either light, sound of mental perceptions.
- Lie Detecting - Ability to tell if the person she is speaking to is telling the truth or not. Requires conscious effort from the seer's part as well as close proximity of subject.
- Mind Reading - Ability to read thoughts of those in the immediate area.
- Power Sensing - Ability to recognize (supernatural) powers of others.
- Pathfinding - Ability to zero in on the location of an individual or object of interest.
- Precognition - ability to predict the future.
- Psychometry - Ability to read the history of certain objects by holding the object in your hand or placing it to your forehead. A form of scrying.
More to come.