zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Planetside Idealab. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

NTU Changes, Concepts for new/enhanced uses for NTU
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 16 2004, 08:08 AM

Idealab Administrator, Lord of the Pants

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Coming soon.

Again, I'll be posting the summaries that I gave on PSU and the OF, and also some new stuff as soon as I revive a particular NTU post by nexus8 and run some ideas by the people there. smile.gif

This topic will also relate to Urban Outposts, the updated Engineer Cert, and the Adv Tech Cert.

Some work-in-progress diagrams:

Unfinished illustration showing use of ANTs and powercells to recharge silos and AMS.

user posted image

Unfinished illustration showing supply line feature of the new territories.

user posted image

Engineer deploys ANT in warpgate to collect NTUs.

user posted image

Engineer opens ANT trunk.

user posted image

Engineer removes Powercells from trunk.

user posted image

...and places them into a vehicle. This creates a buffer of energy reserves so that the vehicle can last longer in the field. The vehicle always drains powercells from the trunk first before draining its onboard capacitor.

The capacitor in vehicles is also necessary to power System Upgrades. These are temporary mini-modules acquired only by Advanced Technicians and placed inside a vehicle's trunk to briefly boost an aspect of its performance or ability, such as detect direction of radar/sensor, reload boost, jumpstart speed, etc. System Upgrades deconstruct after a set time period, if the onboard capacitor is completely drained, or the vehicle is destroyed.

user posted image

Meanwhile, the Engineer has taken his ANT to a tower to refill its silo

user posted image

Then goes and refills an AMS capacitor so it can continue supplying heavy equipment in enemy territory.

user posted image

Engineer then recharges the capacitor of a different vehicle.

user posted image

Continued in next post...

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Hayoo is balanced and working as intended

user posted image

user posted image
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 18 2004, 10:35 PM

continued from previous post...

Engineer retrieves the last Powercells from the ANTs trunk and manually recharge a vehicle's capacitor...

user posted image

...recharges another AMS...

user posted image

...then manually tops off another NTU Silo at a friendly base.

Manually recharging a vehicle or silo takes more time than an ANT. The ANT remains the fastest, most efficient means to recharge an object.

user posted image

At an occupied TR base, another engineer recharges a lodestar with a low capacitor since it can't self-recharge. The Lodestar itself is recharging a nearby vehicle's capacitor as well.

user posted image

Sometime after the base becomes friendly, another vehicle sits in the tech plant's SOI to recharge its capacitor.

user posted image

Meanwhile, the Lodestar has flown off and landed close to a battle in enemy territory. A Thunderer has driven up and is recharging its capacitor.

user posted image

A vehicle has driven up to a friendly watch tower and is recharging its capacitor from the Repair/Rearm Silo.

user posted image

Another vehicle is recharging its capacitor straight from a Warpgate. Unlike ANTs, this does not create powercells in its trunk, but merely refills its energy reserves.

user posted image

Update:

Here's an image of a vehicle HUD showing the location and disposition of the vehicle capacitor bar.

user posted image

Not shown: concept screen of vehicle recharging at Urban Outpst Rearm Silo.

Not shown: concept screen of aircraft recharging from an airborne Lodestar.

Not shown: concept screen of vehicle and aircraft recharging from Service Platform Deployable Emplacement.

Not shown: concept screen of ANT retrieving NTUs from a destroyed vehicle.

Not shown: concept screen of what vehicle capacitor looks like from inside a ground vehicle.

Not shown: The kitchen sink.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 03:37 AM

Updates: Added some WIP diagrams, will explain later, gotta run.
Updated: Added more WIP concept shots showing all the options for recharging objects.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
Earlydawn
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 05:00 AM

Wishlist Moderator

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Thanks for putting me in your shots biggrin.gif

Airbourne refueling, nice. Very Air Forcy. wink.gif

Now, a question. Does, say, a harasser refueling from a lodestar drain the lodestar's reserves?

--------------------
"I WILL DEFEND OUR EARLYDAWN TERMINALS!"
-Infernus
"Spork would win the battle. But he'd be naive enough to leave me alive.
And that would be his undoing."

-SmokeJumperPS
Planetside-Idealab Moderator. Join us at #idealab on IRC, irc.Planetside-Universe.com
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 07:05 AM

QUOTE (CDL-Earlydawn @ Jul 19 2004, 05:00 AM)
Thanks for putting me in your shots biggrin.gif

Airbourne refueling, nice. Very Air Forcy. wink.gif

Now, a question. Does, say, a harasser refueling from a lodestar drain the lodestar's reserves?

No problem. smile.gif

Nope, the Lodestar's ability to recharge other vehicles is seperate from it's own power supply. Even a lodestar with a completely drained capacitor can still recharge another vehicle.

Of course it can't takeoff again, but all one has to do is deploy an ANT near it or use your nano-gun to inject some power juice into it and then you can fly it into a friendly SOI, to a tower/outpost silo, or a warpgate to recharge fully.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
7ruth
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 02:41 PM

Regular

Member No.: 10

As I always say, good stuff man. The whole concept is solid, of course I'd still like to hear how the kitchen sink works rolleyes.gif

How about some interface improvements for ant drivers/lodestar pilots, so they know who needs a jumpstart.

New voice Macros? "We need juice!"

--------------------
user posted image
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 03:12 PM

QUOTE (7ruth @ Jul 19 2004, 02:41 PM)
As I always say, good stuff man. The whole concept is solid, of course I'd still like to hear how the kitchen sink works rolleyes.gif

How about some interface improvements for ant drivers/lodestar pilots, so they know who needs a jumpstart.

New voice Macros? "We need juice!"

lol. The sink is is Top Secret. tongue.gif

New Voice Macros:

VNF "We need a recharge!" [fuel]
VNU "We need an upgrade!"

When someone says this from a vehicle, a "need" icon will flash over their heads. There will also be location aids on the radar map and cont map for locating things like ANTs, lodestars, service platforms, etc. in much the same way Medics can be seen. Still working on those graphics.

Plus if you're part of a Task Force, finding a recharge source will be much easier as you can notify your unit leader or a command squad member who can look at his new squad interface to see who is driving an ANT, lodestar, or whatever.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
IncomingFire
Posted: Jul 19 2004, 06:07 PM

Regular

Member No.: 9

this is too much for my little brain to coprehend but the pictures look pretty.....j/k
Nice job I like the ideas

--------------------
user posted image
Member #9 w00t
Join Folding@Home today and sign up with team 11108.
Team's Stats - My Stats
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 21 2004, 02:21 AM

Another visual indicator I'd like to add to vehicles, besides the recharging bar, is a panel or two on the back of the vehicle that looks like the ANT's nanite collection panels. Not the nanite particles themselves, but that neet blue animation on the panels.

I'll have to create some graphics for that too I suppose. *sigh*

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 21 2004, 02:23 AM

QUOTE (-CDL-ORANGE @ Jul 19 2004, 06:07 PM)
this is too much for my little brain to coprehend but the pictures look pretty.....j/k
Nice job I like the ideas

Think of it as Vehicles needing power to move.

Vehicles can recharge that power by being in a friendly base, near a friendly tower, being near a deployed ANT...or you can now retrieve NTU Powercells from a filled ANT and carry them around in inventory. You can then use them like repair juice to recharge vehicles, silos, or whatever manually (although this takes longer to do than an ANT). smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
IncomingFire
Posted: Jul 21 2004, 03:08 AM

Regular

Member No.: 9

what about the rates of draining as far as the NTU's in vehicles are concerned is increased when a vehicle enters enemy territory, and when in friendly territory the NTU's drain much slower and when on a friendly locked cont the drain is nearly non-existent

--------------------
user posted image
Member #9 w00t
Join Folding@Home today and sign up with team 11108.
Team's Stats - My Stats
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 21 2004, 04:16 AM

Interesting ideas. I know Tiome suggested something similar in that Fuel thread. That would be a nice perk to capturing territory, the reduced capacitor drain. Not a bad idea. I'll have to see how I can work with that.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
Earlydawn
Posted: Jul 21 2004, 06:27 AM

Wishlist Moderator

Member No.: 3

For some reason, I feel the need to request that you can recharge in bases only by pulling up to a repair silo, not just by sitting in the SOI. Makes it feel more immersive.

I'd suggest making the NTU absorbtion grid on the vehicles small. Otherwise I fear it would look distasteful.

And prehaps we should call the repair / rearm silos service silos now, since they have enhanced functionality?

--------------------
"I WILL DEFEND OUR EARLYDAWN TERMINALS!"
-Infernus
"Spork would win the battle. But he'd be naive enough to leave me alive.
And that would be his undoing."

-SmokeJumperPS
Planetside-Idealab Moderator. Join us at #idealab on IRC, irc.Planetside-Universe.com
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 22 2004, 01:20 AM

QUOTE (CDL-Earlydawn @ Jul 21 2004, 06:27 AM)
For some reason, I feel the need to request that you can recharge in bases only by pulling up to a repair silo, not just by sitting in the SOI. Makes it feel more immersive.

I'd suggest making the NTU absorbtion grid on the vehicles small. Otherwise I fear it would look distasteful.

And prehaps we should call the repair / rearm silos service silos now, since they have enhanced functionality?

Point 1: I can see where you're coming from but I'm torn on that point. On the one hand it makes sense that a large radius around the silo (within the base) is the point from which to recharge. It prevents drive-by recharging, and it gives that sense of immersion you mention, having to recharge/repair/rearm within a base.

On the other hand, shield recharging takes place within an SOI and there must be a reason the devs did that. It probably saves on the traffic jams too since recharging will be necessary whether the vehicle requires repairs or not. Not many will stock up on powercells (that's like lugging around extra vehicle ammo boxes) so recharging will be more widespread.

So, as I said, I'm torn. A compromise could be recharging anywhere within a base, but not outside the walls. Aircraft can of course land on the pads to recharge as well as repair. Galaxies will just land in the courtyard. Perhaps recharging should require landing instead of hovering like you can to repair or rearm. Hmm. That might cause traffic jams. What do you think?

Point 2:
Yeah, the absorbtion grid/s will be small and unobtrusive and won't even light up until they start sucking up a recharge. Those on foot might not even see it, but it will be in such a place that the driver can switch to third person and notice his vehicle is being recharged even if he can't see the recharge bar.

Point 3: Service or support silos sounds good to me. Some might even call them Re-silos because they repair/rearm/recharge. smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
Hayoo
Posted: Jul 23 2004, 05:57 AM

Update: New image showing disposition of vehicle capacitor bar.

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image
« Next Oldest | Idealab Works In Progress | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0503 seconds · Archive