zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Merry Orcmas Everyone!

Facing Skaven At 2500 For The First Time, Help! What to bring to that scrap?
Mrmox42
Posted: May 1 2012, 09:53 AM

Orc
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,752

Hello, fellow greenskins

I am about to meet a Skaven army at 2500 pts. And as I have never met them before, I am in two minds about what troops I shall bring to that scrap.

I am certain that he will field an Abomination, so I have to deal with that.

I have also seen (I snooped around one of his games) a wozzname Cannon, and big units of Giant Rats. The rest was big blocks of Skavens.

So, what to do?

Thoughts:

1 - Bring a Black Orc Big Boss BSB with the Flame Banner.

2 – Bring a big unit of Night Goblins with Short Bows

3 – Bring a unit of Black Orcs

4 – Let BSB switch between these two units, to ensure wounds on Abomination

5 – Bring 2 Rock Lobbas (to further kill the Abomination and bombard Infantry Blocks), 2 Doom Divers (to take out Weapon Teams and small units) and some Spear Chukkas (against the Abomination as well).

6 – Bring a Black Orc Warboss? Not sure, but I like him. Could be an ordinary Orc Warboss.

7 – Bring Magic. A level 4 Savage Orc Shaman with Shrunken Head and a Lvl 1 or 2 Night Goblin with the Dispel Scroll, just in case.

8 – Bring Savage Orcs. Do they need to be Big Ones against Skaven?

9 – Bring plenty of Pump Wagons. Love them. If possible, Wolf Chariots as well.

10 – Bring Mangler Squig (I only have one). Never leave home without it.

11 – Are a small unit (like 5) of Boar Boys any good against Skaven?

12 – Are Fanatics any good here?

13 – Are Wolf Riders?

So – I bring:

Black Orc War Boss
Black Orc Big Boss BSB with Flaming Banner
Savage Orc Shaman lvl 4 with Shrunken Head
Night Goblin Shaman lvl 1 or 2 with Dispel Scroll

40 Night Goblins with Short Bows – and possibly Fanatics
30 Savage Orcs with additional Hand Weapons and Full Command
Wolf Riders?
More footsloggers? Orc Boyz?

A unit of Black Orcs – don’t know how many
At least 2 Spear Chukkas
Boar Boyz?
Wolf Chariots?
Boar Chariots?

Some Pump Wagons – as points permit
2 Rock Lobbas
2 Doom Divers
Mangler Squig

Am I completely wrong here?

Is there something I have forgotten?

Is the Arachnarok able to eat an Abomination ?

This post has been edited by Mrmox42 on May 1 2012, 09:55 AM
mickkk666
Posted: May 1 2012, 07:56 PM

Flying goblin
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,568

Wolf riders are ALWAYS a good idea! Doesn't matter the army you are facing. In the case of Skavens, they are great for warp cannon hunting or redirecting as usual.

Mangler squig can be good against Abo, but skavens have lot of chaff and trash units to step on it, so it will depend on what your opponent brings if they worth or not. Trolls are really good stopping the abo. They don't suffer the thunderstomp and regen makes them durable. Aracknarok is good against it too as it has T6 and 8W.
Mrmox42
Posted: May 2 2012, 06:24 AM

Orc
Group Icon

Trolls, of course!

If nothing else, they can keep it occupied for a while.
remyk
Posted: May 2 2012, 06:09 PM

say waaaaaghh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,848

any orc with a bow sucks! gobbo's cant shoot eighter and if you want you should use them with spears and shields and net's and 2 fanatic's then u wil take down (everything)
easy vs skaven. and i whould take big unit's so his doomwheel cant do mutch like a block of 29 savage orc big uns with savage orc shaman and LSH.

and for the abom how about black orc unit with flame weapons, str 7 wil take it down.

and idk if you know but he wil probly use a storm banner that wil cancel most of ur shoothing.

and foot of gork is ur best friend at this moment!.

btw you do know u can only have 4 rare right....

This post has been edited by remyk on May 2 2012, 06:10 PM
mickkk666
Posted: May 2 2012, 06:16 PM

Flying goblin
Group Icon

Yes he can have 4 rares tongue.gif, but not of the same type. He doesn't exceed the limit of 2 equal rare units.
Mrmox42
Posted: May 3 2012, 12:49 PM

Orc
Group Icon

Thanks guys

The fight is on saturday.

I'll keep you posted.
mickkk666
Posted: May 3 2012, 03:01 PM

Flying goblin
Group Icon

Good luck wink.gif.
Cornwall
Posted: May 4 2012, 11:03 AM

Goblin
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,564

How about taking a goblin big boss with the terrifying mask of eee? I'd put him out on a flank away from the opposing battle standard and general and get nice and close before you declare a charge so if your opponent fails his terror test then on a wolf you'd stand a pretty good chance of running him down straight away. He'd only cost 76pts with a spear, light armour and shield. Also putting him on a wolf means he'll be able to vanguard so you could hide him somewhere before the game starts. If you could stay unnoticed then he's perfect for running down Jezzails as they've only got 5Ld and don't usually have ranks.
GazakahStoneWallop
Posted: May 5 2012, 04:15 AM

Goblin
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,606

Cornwall that tactic is awesome. hahaha

I'm definitely trying that out for dungs and giggles.
Mrmox42
Posted: May 6 2012, 07:27 PM

Orc
Group Icon

Funny ting, I actually considered just such a Hero - I turned him into a more killy one, however.

The tounament got postponed - dang - so I will face the rats on the 26.th instead.

I will post my army shortly. I look forward to your replys (and screams of anguish/roars of laughter/praise).
Mrmox42
Posted: May 29 2012, 09:20 AM

Orc
Group Icon

Battle between O&G and Skavens 2500 points

Well, I promised I would report back, and here I am.

I fought the Skaven player this Saturday, and this is what happened.

I put up my 2500 points army this way: (by memory, I havent got my papers with me)

Black Orc Warboss with initiative 10 Sword and 4+ ward save (with the Black Orcs)

Savage Orc Great Shaman (lvl 4) with Lucky Head and Fencers Blades (with Savages)

Black Orc Big Boss BSB with 4+ ward (with the Savage Orcs to keep them in line)

Night Goblin Shaman (lvl 1) with Dispel Scroll and Ruby Ring of Rhuin (with 40 NG’s)

30 Savage Orc Big Uns with Full Command and Add. Hand Weapons

40 Night Goblins with Netters, Hand Weapons and Shield, Musician, Standard Bearer and 2 Fanatics

21 Night Goblins with Short Bows and Musician

5 Wolf Riders with Spear and Shield

22 Black Orcs with Full Command and the Flame Banner

6 Trolls

1 Wolf Chariot

1 Spear Chukka

3 Pump Wagons

2 Doom Divers

2 Rock Lobbas

1 Mangler Squig

The Skavens Showed up with:

1 Warlord tooled up for killyness

1 Grey Seer (lvl 4)

1 Warlock Engineer tooled up for Warp Lightning Spells

4 Warlock Engineers with nothing at all, used ingeniously

40 Slaves

40 Slaves

40 Slaves

40 Storm Vermin

40 Storm Vermin

1 Warp Fire Thrower

1 Abomination

6 Night Runners

6 Night Runners

6 Night Runners

2 Plaqueclaw Catapults

Positioning and first two turns of battle

The battlefield was effectively split into two by a big forest in the centre.

On my left I found a big chunk of Impassable Terrain, and here the Skaven had cunningly Scouted two units of Night Runners on my extreme flank.

I had two Pump Wagons, the 40 Night Goblins, the Trolls and the Black Orcs on this part of the field, supported by a Doom Diver, a Rock Lobba and the Spear Chukka. I faced one regiment of Slaves, one of Storm Vermin, the Abomination and the aforementioned Night Runners. (Note that I had managed to place my anti-Abomination units in front of the Abo. Yay!) In the corner stood a Catapult.

I won first move.

One pump Wagon roared (squeeked?) into action and rode down one unit of Night Runners (I rolled a 15 for range), but was shot to bits afterwards by the other Night Runners poisonous weapons. These Night Runners then proceeded to move forward and threaten my War Machines.

The other Pump Wagon trundled forward alongside the Night Gobs (who never failed an Animisity check, good gobbos), the Black Orcs and the Trolls. My Spear Chukka and the Rock Lobba pummeled the Abomination, but even though they hit it, they failed to do it any harm, due to regenration. Hmm.

The Skavens moved cautiously forward and bombarded my troops with the Plaqueclaw Catapults, hoping to cause some panic checks. The effect of the bombardment was underwhelming, however, as it only killed a couple NG’s and one Black Orc, and no panic was caused.

Then my Trolls pounced on the Abomination and started a battle royale. In 3 round of combat the Abo continously rolled the 3D6 attacks option and only managed to kill 2 Trolls, while the Trolls gradually Vomited the Abomination to death. (Hurrah!) Then the Abomination turned into 3 Rat Swarms (boooh!)

Finally the Plaqueclaw Catapults managed to be Suspiciously Off Target and hit the Storm Vermin who broke and fled for a round before rallying. This was important as it freed my Black Orcs, who could move to the right to join the big fight there.

On my right things were a bit different.

I had the Savage Orcs, the 21 NG archers, one Pump Wagon, the Wolf Chariot, the Mangler Squig and the Wolf Riders, supported by a Doom Diver and a Rock Lobba. These faced two regiments of Slaves, one of them with the grey Seer in it, the other regiment of Storm Vermin with the Warlord General and one unit of Night Runners. In the far corner stood the second Catapult.

Animosity and bad luck played in here, as the NG archers squabbled, while the Black Orc Big Boss had to deal out slaps and kicks for two rounds in a row, killing 6 Savage Orcs in all, to keep them focused. Even worse, the Doom Diver took a chance and plowed into a small forest, and then promptly rolled a 1 on the Dangerous Terrain check, which caused it to disintegrate into an unseemly pile of junk. This caused the Wolf Chariot and the Wolf Riders to panic and flee off the field. Not a good start.

The Storm Vermin, heartened by this, stormed forward, followed by the more cautious Grey Seer and his Slaves, and the other Slave regiment. The Night Runners made a beeline for my Rock Lobba.

Here my clever opponent send out one of his 15 point naked Warlock Engineers (I wonder how their contract looked. These guys are in serious need of a union) into the Mangler Squig and they both died a messy death. Well played, but sad for my Mangler.

A Foot of Gork Spell managed to scatter neatly into the space between the Slaves and the Storm Vermin, killing nothing at all. Naturally, Gork got bored by this a left the field, not to return. Darned.

Magic actually never really played much of a part in this battle, due to good dispel rolls. Still, a few spells got through, as mentioned below.

The Storm Vermin got Poisonous Attacks by a spell, and positioned themselves to be charged by the Savage Orcs, with the second unit of Slaves neatly placed for a flank charge. Naturally my Savage Orcs couldn’t resist this, and charged straight into what would become a truly grand fight.

Savage Orcs are quite nasty, and they killed lots of Storm Vermin, who had to rely on their Steadfast to keep from breaking. Their poisonous attacks kileld a few Savages, but so far things were good.

Then the Slaves charged into the flank of them.

The Savages killed even more rats, but still lost the fight. They didnt break, though.

The Night Runners on the exreme right were killed to a rat, by a combination of 1 kill by the Night Goblin Archers, and a good hit by a Doom Diver. This Doom Diver then proceeded to blow itself up in the next round.

Luckily the Plaqueclaw Catapult didn’t do much, which fit perfectly with my Rock Lobbas, who were decidedly bad shots.

On the left the last unit of Night Runners pelted one Rock Lobba with poisoned things and killed it. They were then hit by a Doom Diver, which killed four of the six rats, but the 2 survivors didn’t break, and charged the Spear Chukka.
The heroic crew of the Spear Chukka didn’t take a single wound, but killed the Night Runners in two rounds of combat. Hurray! Give those Gobbos a cigar!

Now the plot thickened.

My Black Orcs charged into the side of the Storm Vermin, who were in combat with my Savage Orcs, while my 21 NG archers charged into the side of the Slaves, who were in the flank of the Savages. Still with us?

Lots of blood and gore, but nobody broke.

My Trolls, fresh from killing the Abomination, charged the Slaves with the Grey Seer, but this proved too much of a mouthful. (they had been roasted by the Warpfire Thrower that had cunningly hid itself in a house). They were killed to a Troll. By Slaves. Oh dear. Still, they had slain the Abomination, so I guess it evens out.

Now, to complicate matters, the 3 Rat Swarms charged my Black Orcs in the rear, and the rats now had Poisonous attacks, due to a spell. The Slaves with the Grey Seer charged the Black Orcs in the side. This would be all or nothing.

It became all.

The Slaves who had my NG Archers in the side could take no more, and broke, and blew up. My now sorely depleted Savage Orcs, numbering 3 Savages, my Shaman and my BSB still fought the Storm Vermin with the Warlord, but the Warlord had the Black Orcs in his side, so he finally broke and ran, and were run down by the Savages. Yes!

The Black Orcs had 15 poisonous Rat Swarm attacks in their rear, but my opponent didn’t roll a single 6, but my Black Orcs still lost the fight. They had both my Black Orc Warboss in their unit and the BSB close by, so they held fast without breaking a sweat. The Grey Seer decided to Skitterleap into the newly rallied Storm Vermin on the left flank.

This was a wise move, for then then the remaining Savages charged the Slaves that he had just left. The Slaves broke and blew up, killing the Warpfire Thrower in the house and the Rat Swarms crumbled into nothing, leaving me master of the right flank, with only the remote Plaqueclaw Catapult in the far corner. I ignored it and steered all remaining units into the left field.

Here a brave naked Warlock Engineer had lured out the two Fanatics from the NG regiment. My surviving Pump Wagon ploughed into the single regiment of Slaves, killed some, and was then destroyed due to it being Unstable. The Slaves then marched through one of the Fanatics to get closer to the centre, which of course killed more Slaves.

Then my Night Goblins charged them head-on, and the Netters did me proud. In two rounds of combat the Slaves were broken and disintegrated, killing a few NG’s. My lvl 1 NG Shamen died in the fight, though. The NG’s regrouped and turned to face the rear of the remaining Storm Vermin regiment.

The Storm Vermin, now reinforced with the Grey Seer, were then charged in the rear by the NG.s and had to suffer the discomfort of being sandwiched, as my Black Orcs charged them in the front.

This was too much for them, and they broke and were run down.

The final turn left the Skavens with two Plaqueclaw Catapults and nothing else. I had lost 1060 points,while he had lost 2450.

A near perfect vicory, but close, as the big 7 regiment pile-up in the centre could easily had gone wrong, if I had failed a break test or two.

Still, the Black Orcs did everything I asked them to do, holding out against enemies on 3 sides, and being seriously bolstered by my Warboss who just killed and killed and killed in true Orcy style.

The Savages were awesome, though nearly eradicated, and even the two Night Goblin regiments did well.

And the Trolls killing the Abomination was the icing on the cake. I had planned to use the Black Orcs with the Flaming Banner on it as well, but they were not needed for that task. Troll Vomit can on occasion work wonders.

A great fight, and an Orcish victory.

This post has been edited by Mrmox42 on May 29 2012, 09:50 AM
Elyrioth
Posted: May 29 2012, 11:11 AM

Snotling
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,235

Nice report thanks.
« Next Oldest | Army Lists | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0663 seconds | Archive