InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Orcs And Goblins Tactica, Da way to beat da bretonionions.
Orcydude
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 03:58 PM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,845

Ok guys this is da big un. my first match with ma Orcs n gobbos is against da ugly praying bretonions .
Need tactics guys. so much so that these brets are gunna have an advantage against me. Basically these cavalry are going o rip me up unless i take them out faster. either that or im gunna need to take away there charge. basically the match is next week. I really need to win. my mate has never beat me in 40k and i aint gunna start losing to him in fantasy. so basicallymy army list i roughly 1000-1500 points :
LORDS
Shaman on Arachnarok level 4 wizard(general)
HEROES
Black orc big boss Great axe ,heavy armour ,shield 50points of magic items .(BSB)
CORE UNITS
10 arrer boyz light armour,Boss (champion)
10 arrer boyz light armour,Boss (champion)
30 arrer boyz light armour,boss (champion), musician. (black orc big boss in this unit)
SPECIAL UNITS
Rock lobber
spear chukka
RARE UNITS
Arachnarok spider shrine,shaman

will be vsing mostly knights me thinks and some peasen archers dunno about the rest.
could use some tactics and tips though plz

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ninja.gif
theorox
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 06:30 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

Your Shaman can't be mounted on an arachnarok in such a small game, it doesn't fit within the 25% lord allowance. sad.gif And the Rare arachnarok can't have a shaman on it, and thus not a spider shrine. (But in a game of 1200p or bigger you can have an Arachnarok as rare, since it's less than 25%.)

Your list looks really shooty, but will bowshots really do anything VS knights? They have 2+ armoursaves for the most part, so you won't cause many wounds...focus on killing the peasants with the archers, if you keep them. What models do you actually have now? smile.gif

Theo
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:17 PM

Boss

Member No.: 6,571

What theo said. This list employs few of the tools that O&G has available to thump heavy cavalry. Small-arms shooting is worthless against a 2+ armor save, and your troops will struggle mightily against them in combat because of your low Weapon Skill and Strength. Here are the things that you should consider in order to kick some Bret tail:

1. Ranks. Bretonnians rely on breaking units on the charge, and that's awful hard to do if you out-rank him. That means you should bring numbers to bear on him, because his movement edge virtually guarantees he'll get the charge in most relevant situations.

2. Trolls. These guys are spectacular against Bretonnians, thanks to Troll Vomit and Regeneration. If he's not prepared for them, they might beat him by themselves.

3. Doom Divers. Shooting attacks that wound on 2s and ignore armor? Nothing more need be said.

4. Black Orcs and Big 'Uns. A base Weapon Skill and Strength of 4 and the Choppas bonus means you put out a lot of pain when you swing and can probably fight them to a stand still on the first round, then grind them down later. Black Orcs in particular are superb at this, thanks to the Great Weapons imposing a whopping -4 penalty to armor saves in the first round.

5. Wolf Chariots. Remember what I said about the charge? Bretonnians are dramatically less effective when they don't get it, and we have one of the few units that has a bigger charge range than they do. He'll be hesitant to advance you if you put some Chariots on the board, and you can use that to your advantage.

6. Characters. This army is blessed with the gift of cheap, hard-punching characters, which you can and should use to your advantage. A Big Boss with a Great Weapon will hit most Knights on 3s and wound them on 2s while allowing virtually no armor, which will help out a lot.

7. Fanatics and Mangler Squigs. These guys are wandering purveyors of destruction that can do enormous amounts of damage to cavalry units if you get to touch them. They aren't the most reliable thing out there, but they're awesome when they do work.

8. Sneaky Stabbin'. It's almost trivial to sneak in a cheap Goblin scroll caddy with this spell into your army, and every point of armor penalty makes a difference. And it's not like we have a scintillating spell selection, anyway.

With these points in mind, this is the sort of list I would bring to combat the Bretonnians:

Bret Smashaz - 1500 points

Core - 473 points
39 Night Goblins, 2 Fanatics, Musician [Night Goblin Shaman goes here]
29 Orc Boyz, Additional Hand Weapons, Big 'Uns, Full Command [BSB goes here]

Special - 408 points
29 Black Orcs, Musician, Standard-Bearer [Orc Warboss goes here]
2 x Wolf Chariot

Rare - 160 points
2 x Doom Diver Catapults

Heroes - 244 points
Orc Big Boss, Armor of Silvered Steel, BSB, Great Weapon, Ironcurse Icon
Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll, L2 Wizard [Lore of the Little Waaagh!]

Lords - 215 points
Orc Warboss, Basha's Axe of Stunty Smashin', Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation

Grand Total: 1500 points

This list features 2 big, mean blocks of Orcs to dish out the hurt (along with some big scary characters), a block of Night Goblins to hold them down in a pinch, and a steady stream of S5 attacks allowing no armor saves to make sure they keep coming toward you. Once they do, a Wolf Chariot will exploit those big flanks that Bret lances tend to have. You'll have enough casting and casting defense to not embarrass yourself, and that will be enough. Alternatively, you could consider this list:

Bret Smashaz Alternate - 1500 points

Core - 493 points:
39 Night Goblins, 2 Fanatics, Musician [Night Goblin Shaman goes here]
28 Savage Orcs, Additional Hand Weapons, Big 'Uns, Musician, Standard-Bearer [Shaman and BSB go here]

Special - 310 points:
6 Trolls
2 x Wolf Chariot

Rare - 160 points:
2 x Doom Diver Catapult

Heroes - 160 points:
Black Orc Big Boss, BSB, Talisman of Preservation
Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll [Lore of the Little Waaagh!]

Lords - 290 points:
Savage Orc Great Shaman, Fencer's Blades, L4 Wizard, Lucky Shrunken Head [Lore of the Big Waaagh!]

Grand Total: 1500 points

This list trades in some of the reliability of the Black Orcs for more punch in the form of the Trolls and the Savage Orcs. The latter are particularly brutal for Bretonnians to face, thanks to their enormous attack output and their ubiquitous 5+ Ward save.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 29 2012, 07:36 PM
Squigkikka
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 10:06 AM

Waaagh!

Member No.: 5,573

I disagree with both lists overall, I must say. They both have heavy reliance on infantry blocks which at first might seem like a great idea (lotsa ranks!) but it can just as easily bite you in the ass!

Brettonia namely has access to a dirt cheap S5 stone thrower, and it is very common for them to field 1-2 in every armylist they have. So, if you bring list 1, it is very likely that he will be able to kill off enough orcs/goblins to break them on the charge. List 2 suffers less from this risk since it has trolls and 5+ ward on the savages, but the trebs can still decimate without a doubt.

What I feel that you need to add to a list vs Brettonia is fast movers of our own in the form of fast cav and heroes on mounts. You need to pit pressure on his trebuchets, take them out as early as possible.

Same goes for how common it is for Bretts to have their flanks relatively exposed. Goblin characters on wolfs (or orcs on boars) can take great advantage of our great numbers and threats to zoom in behind units and position themselves to do flankcharges.

In short: Find space for 5 wolf riders and 2 goblin heroes on wolfs to hunt trebs and do flankcharges.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 01:19 PM

Boss

Bear in mind I'm hitching my wagon to 25mm infantry, not 20mm infantry. Trebs are more of an annoyance than a threat to 30 Big 'Uns, especially considering that they'll be 5-wide, since they won't be able to maintain Horde formation.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 30 2012, 01:20 PM
Squigkikka
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 03:00 PM

Waaagh!

It doesn't have to kill all of them, only enough so that you wont be steadfast. Ranked infantry, be it on 20 or 25, are still very vulnerable to the trebuchets. If you don't include any counters to the trebs or rely only on ranked infantry, then that is equal to saying "I sure hope he doesn't get any direct hits!" which isn't really good advice or tactics tongue.gif
Orcydude
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 05:04 PM

Goblin

1400 added up tongue.gif.
I was kinda hoping that I could spank em with magic arachnarok poison and steers to break em down enough. I may be buying a troll actually aswell.
River or stone would you suggest. Plus 50 artery boyz will be big and smashing :tongue.gif
Orcydude
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 05:22 PM

Goblin

oh and because it is 1500 points can i have my shaman on arachnarok and a spider shrine?
im sure you can have both?
oh and the troll will lift me up to 1500 points :/
Xellpher
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 09:54 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,074

You understand that only 25% of your points can be spent on Lords and 25% on Rares right?

A Shaman on a Arachnarok is more than this 25%. Both the Shaman and spider (if taken as a mount) take their points from the Lords allowance.

At 1500 points you can take 1 Arachnarok, but it will not have a shaman.

You need to re-read the rules on your army list. (BRB p134)
Mrmox42
Posted: May 1 2012, 06:28 AM

Orc

Member No.: 6,752

I may be buying a troll actually aswell.
River or stone would you suggest

Get an ordinary one. They are cheaper in points and do almost as well.

River Trolls are probably more efficient, but also more expensive.

Stone Trolls look the coolest, but loose out to the River Trolls. (I may start an argument here :-) )

But, as I said, get ordinary Trolls. They are good value.

This post has been edited by Mrmox42 on May 1 2012, 06:28 AM
Squigkikka
Posted: May 1 2012, 07:43 AM

Waaagh!

Buy the River trolls though. They look cooler and are made out of plastic which is a lot easier to handle- and you can still use them as normal trolls if you'd like!
Boss
Posted: May 1 2012, 10:03 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 6,864

I always imagined that normal trolls looked like the river trolls anyway! The only normal one I've seen was the skull pass one and that was ugly as hell!
Orcydude
Posted: May 1 2012, 05:14 PM

Goblin

Ok then ill prob go for the flinger or is there sumtin else? Lol. I'm also Gunna be making a giant Squig herd out of marbles bases and clay. Or sumtin else if clay Dunt work.
rothgar13
Posted: May 1 2012, 05:53 PM

Boss

I would run the Arachnarok plain, though you're free to model the flinger on it if you like the way it looks. In gameplay terms, it isn't worth what you pay for it.
mickkk666
Posted: May 1 2012, 07:35 PM

Flying goblin

Member No.: 6,568

The trebuchets are a big menace. Wolf riders are one of the best solutions for these annoying warmachines. Rock lobber can be another too, but I wouldn't rely much on it and it's better to include doom divers to deal with pegasus knights.
« Next Oldest | Tactics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0821 seconds | Archive