Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Thinking Of Trying Orc+goblins, looking for guidance on troop choices
eugeniusgenx
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM

Snotling

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,842

I have been readin the rulebook and I have been thinking of starting an army of greenskins. I have Lizardmen and High Elves. I love the look of the orc and gobbo models and I want to play them to see how they feel. I have limited cash and I build my armies with the help of eBay.

What troop choices should I go with to build a small force, say around 1000 points, and what order should I get them in? Boyz first?
BorkBork
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 03:58 PM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

QUOTE (eugeniusgenx @ Apr 18 2012, 03:50 PM)
I have limited cash and I build my armies with the help of eBay.

so do i!!

and getting O&G from ebay (or similar sites) is pretty easy.
A large chunk of our units have been in starter sets so there is plenty of supply. Especially you core should be easy to get

First you should make a up your mind if you want to go for a mixed list or for something themed (all Night gob for example).

But you cant go wrong with picking up some of the BFSP Night gobs for starters.

This post has been edited by BorkBork on Apr 18 2012, 04:00 PM
eugeniusgenx
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 04:09 PM

Snotling

BFSP?

I was thinking of mixed for now, just play the units and see...

Similar sites? There are other options?

This post has been edited by eugeniusgenx on Apr 18 2012, 04:15 PM
theorox
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 04:37 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

Welcome to Da Warpath! smile.gif

BfSP means Battle for Skull Pass, it was the 7th edition starterset containing Dwarfs and Nightgoblins. The nightgoblins can probably still be found pretty cheaply.

I'd say a fun, competitive mixed starter force should look something like:

Bigboss
Shaman (I'd recommend a Nightgoblin one, personally.)
20-ish Orc boyz
30-ish Goblins (NG's or common gobs to taste)
5 fast cav
A chariot (Any type you like)
And then about 200p of whatever you want, usually something heavy-hitting. Some trolls? A Giant? More chariots? Some Warmachines? A unit of Boarboyz? A small unit of blackorcs? Upgrading your boyz to Big'Uns and increase the size of your units?

This basic starter force should be a lot of fun, and contains many different trooptypes, wich should help you learn the army. biggrin.gif

But the most important thing is to pick models you like. Every unit in the armybook can be made to work. I'm sure you know the basic synergies of the game, since you're already playing.

Theo
BorkBork
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 05:13 PM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

QUOTE (eugeniusgenx @ Apr 18 2012, 04:09 PM)
BFSP?

sorry about that, like theo said it's the acronym for the previous starter kit, which contained both dwarves and night goblins (40 spearmen, 20 archers, 1 troll, a mage and warlord)

The list theo gives you is a good starting point.

Dont overlook arrer boyz also. Orc shooting is not particullarly good (probably rather bad), but an orc archer almost fights as well in combat as regular orc boyz and especially at lower point games they are very usefull, and they are also easy to buy cheap (they were in the 4th ed. starter kit)
theorox
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 06:04 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

QUOTE (BorkBork @ Apr 18 2012, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (eugeniusgenx @ Apr 18 2012, 04:09 PM)
BFSP?

sorry about that, like theo said it's the acronym for the previous starter kit, which contained both dwarves and night goblins (40 spearmen, 20 archers, 1 troll, a mage and warlord)

And 10 spiderriders! smile.gif

Theo
eugeniusgenx
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 12:59 AM

Snotling

I scored 29 Night Goblins off of eBay this afternoon for $22 including shipping! dry.gif So I have the start of my force. Not too fussy on the HE's I have. Thinking maybe I ought to sell 'em hehe.
I will wait to see if I like the O+G, I think I will though, somehow.
EntertainMe
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 09:32 AM

Big Boss

Member No.: 2,893

If you look even further back the 6th edition starter kit contained Orcs.

These are pretty much the same as the standard Orcs you can buy now.
Only it comes in 4 different poses. But a little conversion work should fix that.

Also the 6th edition had a big boss + an Orc chariot.
If you could find that you'd be set for the 1000pts you want.

And if you really don't mind which models you play then you can go bach to the 4th edition starter which featured normal goblins in an astounding amount of 1 (one) poses!
But that's more of a joke, because the models aren't that good (url=http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DNM2645.jpg]link[/url]).
Also, they tended to hurt you more than the opponent. And I mean physically hurt you, because you would reach over the table and there would be 30 very sharp spears sticking upward.
Can't remember the number of times I had to pick them out of my skin (ouch!)

And seeing as OnG do everything the other way around I've saved the last bit of my post to welcome you on the forum

Grtz
-EM-
« Next Oldest | Orc and Goblin Stronghold | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0597 seconds | Archive