InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Happy Halloween! Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Milliput 101, hellppp mee
illbread
Posted: Apr 7 2012, 01:41 AM

Snotling
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,769

Hi guys so i ordered some milliput a few days ago as i had the great but daunting idea and trying to sculpt my own squigs. This will be my frist attempt at sculpting anything i was wondering if any one had some tips, hints, tricks of the trade?
thanks guys.
cb_rex
Posted: Apr 7 2012, 02:47 AM

Warboss Azbad Bonecruncher
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,967

I'd mix Miliput at least 50:50 with Greenstuff for sculpting models, so it has better properties for sculpting. Otherwise its a bit too much like plasticine and isn't very elastic.

In general for creating your own models you should build your models off an armature. For example highly compacted aluminium foil can create the bulk, saving the need to use loads of putty, paper clips or other stiff wire can be the basis for legs or arms, etc.

Get/make a good selection of sculpting tools, Silicone clay shapers are supposed to be good, but I just use a standard GW sculpting tool, and a few other home made tools.

Keep in mind that if they are going to stand next to GW Squigs you need to get the scale and shape as similar as possible so that your models don't look out of place. Add small bits of putty at a time to flesh out the armature, make it slightly smaller than what you're aiming for, when you're happy with the shape let it cure completely. When it's cured add a skin layer sculpting in as much detail as possible.

Don't plan to bend Miliput once it's set, it goes rock hard, unlike Greenstuff that can be bent slightly after it cures.

Sorry I can't be of any more use, I tend to only use Miliput on bases and terrain. Good luck, and let us know how you come on.
« Next Oldest | Orc and Goblin Stronghold | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0721 seconds | Archive