Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Brush Cleaning 101, How to take care of your paint brushes
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 02:22 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Brush Cleaning 101

Hi All,

I have found that some people donít know a lot about proper brush cleaning. I think itís important as you find a brush that you like and if you donít take care of it, it can get ruined. If you find yourself going through brushes sooner than you like, then maybe you need to take care of them better? Now, there are always tips and tricks that people learn and I am sure that there are some that I donít know about. What do I know? Well, I do have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting, Drawing, and Printing. I know at least as much as the average bear. Iím not claiming to be an expert. I figure that this thread might help some people that donít know.

What is a brush?

Some might regard this as a silly question, but it does have relevance. A brush is a stick that holds bristles together to move paint around with. This is important with how the bristles are held by the brush. Most of the time, they are glued to the stick and encased with a metal cover (called a ferrule) to help hold it there and protect the glue. The ferrule is important to remember when cleaning. It helps keep the point.

user posted image

The bristles of a brush make a big difference in the quality of a brush, as well. There are synthetic brushes and hair brushes.

Synthetic are quite cheap to get and tend to deteriorate quickly. They range in scale of quality that effect how nice the brush is. I find that they tend to lose their point faster than hair brushes. There are synthetic hair brushes, too, that are on the higher end of the scale. The main benefit of these brushes is cost.

Hair brushes vary in quality from horse hair up to the most expensive, Kolinsky sable-hair brushes. These also vary in quality, but generally, the hair repels the water better and keeps a better point. Hair brushes keep the point much better than synthetic. Kolinsky brushes are rumored to keep the best point of any brush overall, but can easily cost $10-20 per brush. If properly taken care of, these brushes can last years.

What do you mean ďKeeping a pointĒ?

Control of a brush is very important. When the bristles of a brush come to a point, you can control exactly where you want the paint to go. The point of the brush is the very tip. Iíve seen big brushes that come to such a point that you can still paint eyes with them. If you donít take care of a brush, the bristles of the brush start to go all wonky and you end up with terrible brush control. How can you paint what you want when your tools wonít let you paint where you want to?

If you are saying, ďWell, I paint with a crummy brush all the time and my minis come out fineĒ, then I recommend you try painting with a nice brush for once. You might be an instant convert. If you are good with a crappy brush, try a brush with a good point and you will see your painting improve!

How does a brush lose its point?

This is a very important question and the heart of taking good care of your brushes.

The most common method of ruining your brushes involves improper cleaning. What happens is that paint gets into the ferrule of a brush and dries. Overall, this messes up with the way the bristles lay. The worse it gets, the worse the brush gets. Overall, you will get split ends with your paint brush or the inability of your paint brush to form a point. This is something that can be prevented by solid brush care, though. There are numerous ways to clean your brush, but it is important to actually get into the ferrule and clean it out! Sometimes you may need to mash your bristles up to get this done, but it wonít hurt the bristles as much as not cleaning them will!

What do you use to clean your brushes?

Plain soap and water: Maybe you use only water, but please! Use some soap! This is the most basic and cheapest method of cleaning your brushes. Acrylic paint is water soluble, so water does clean it off well. Still, getting it out of the cluster of brushes near the ferrule or under the ferrule are important to keep brush integrity. Just use some soap and your finger tips to rub it into the bristles to clean it. If you have a bar of white soap, try jamming the brush in until the ferrule makes an indentation. Twirl the brush around in the soap. Pull it out and see all the paint that was stuck up in there. Do this on a regular basis. I sometimes find I do it several times in one painting session!

Liquid Acrylic Cleaners: There are a number of brands of liquid cleaners out there, but make sure you get one for acrylic. If you get one for oil paint, you might end up ruining your brushes! I have had not much success with these. The idea is that the liquid can get up in the ferrule to clean them without mashing the bristles. It works best if you have a brush holder that can hold the brush point down and in the solution without having the tip touch the cup the cleaner is in. Whatever you do, donít just leave your brush face down in a cup! That will ruin the point in no time. You can buy these specialized things online or at fancy art stores.

The Masterís Brush Cleaner: is a specific product that can be purchased in many places online or at any art store. I list it on its own because it is such an amazing product. Every long term artist that I know uses this stuff. Even my daughterís fine arts teacher uses it (by the bucket size, actually). This stuff is by far the best brush cleaner I have ever used! It works on synthetic and hair brushes. It works on old brushes and new brushes. It cleans off paint like nothing else. You wet the brush and rub it into the stuff. Use your fingers to really rub it into places. Then, you wash it off. You can even try to ďretrainĒ your brush tips by rubbing on some of this stuff and then letting it dry that way. It will help the brush ďrelearnĒ itís tip.

Itís also really cheap, too!

user posted image

Iím sure there are other products that I havenít used, too. Anyone can feel free to post their experiences.

The second biggest ways for a brush to lose its point is storage. How you store your brushes can really effect them! The absolute worst way that anyone can store a brush is bristles down in a cup or something. Why would anyone ever do that? Surely no one reading this actually does that. Maybe my 6 year old doesÖ

Why is this a bad way to store a brush?

user posted image

Well, any water or other liquid will stay on the brush and eventually move down into the ferrule of the brush. Over time, this will either weaken the glue that holds the bristles or rot the wood underneath. Both of these methods will start to ruin your point and then make the bristles fall out. In short, it ruins your brushes. Donít do it!

What is the best way to store brushes? Well, technically you should get one of those brush stands that holds the brush upside down, but prevents the bristles from touching anything. They are expensive and kind of hard to find, actually. I donít own one, but itís technically the best way. Any liquid drips down the tip of the brush and wonít ruin the shape. The best way I store my brush is by just laying it on its side on a table or shelf.

So, in summary, if you clean your brushes and if you store your brushes properly, they will last longer and hold their point better. Will they last forever? No? Do I come across as a pretentious jerk? Probably. What the hell, I just want to help some people out that might not know this. If you have your own suggestions or additions, please add it.
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 03:00 PM

Forest Lurkin' Backstabbin' Night Git

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,578

Mostly stuff that is common sense, but a good write-up nonetheless. I will admit that I am guilty of only using water to clean my brushes though blush.gif But the only problem I've ever really had was the one Citadel brush I bought. Over the course of 2-3 months it shed bristles until now it only has 3 left. After that it was back to buying brushes from the generic craft store! I might experiment with actually properly cleaning my brushes now and see what comes of it.

And don't worry, you don't come off as a pretentious git (although we all know you probably are one anyway tongue.gif )
EntertainMe
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 03:13 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 2,893

QUOTE (Noisy Assassin @ Mar 27 2012, 05:00 PM)
Mostly stuff that is common sense

You have a great faith in the common sense of most people.

I've seen far to many people not take care of their brushes and ruin them.

One other pointer:
In stead of cleaning the brush, why not make sure you don't get it (too) dirty as well.
Some people put the bristles up to the heel into the paint.

This will make sure the paint gets in the deeper part of the brushes meaning you have to clean it very, very often (and will still wear the brush down).

Never put paint more than halfway up the bristles.
If you need more paint changes are you are using too small a brush

Grtz
-EM-
Snikpik
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 04:48 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

I'm rubbish at looking after my brushes so could do with the advice. Thanks.
theorox
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 04:53 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

I'll certainly clean the ferrule better after reading this, and look around for that brush-cleaning goo. smile.gif

Theo
Wechselbalg
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 05:27 PM

Orc

Member No.: 6,442

I use mild soap since uhm, ever? Warm water and soap all the way. Cant be too bad because I have brushes that are ~10years old and look like new ones except the leg that is a bit grabbeld biggrin.gif

Hey and I store my brushes like your 6 one, cant be too bad. But my brushes are dry before I "store" them. So yes, better store them like the should be stored.
Craze_b0i
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 10:22 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

QUOTE (Wechselbalg @ Mar 27 2012, 05:27 PM)
I use mild soap since uhm, ever? Warm water and soap all the way. Cant be too bad because I have brushes that are ~10years old and look like new ones except the leg that is a bit grabbeld biggrin.gif

Hey and I store my brushes like your 6 one, cant be too bad. But my brushes are dry before I "store" them. So yes, better store them like the should be stored.

I thought warm water was bad. Don't have any hard evidence, but I just recall it from somewhere.

Great writeup Groznit. Some useful facts I didn't know. Infact I am going to give my ferrols an extra clean right now! smile.gif

edit: small question, do you dry your brushes after cleaning them ie. with a bit of kitchen towel, or does this not matter?

This post has been edited by Craze_b0i on Mar 27 2012, 10:42 PM
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 12:35 AM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I usually give them a quick dry with a towel. At least I whack them on the edge of the sink a bit. I make sure to straighten the tip at the end of it all, though.
whosbasil
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 09:48 PM

Mad mushroom test subject

Member No.: 6,276

That's really helpful. Now i can see why it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one of those GW water cups. They hold them upside down like tthat really well!
« Next Oldest | Painting and Hobby | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0780 seconds | Archive