InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (38) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Crazy Community Unit Project 2
Mostyn
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 07:02 AM

Da open minded git

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,159

I'm just looking at the Goblin command group at the top of page 84 of the O+G Army Book, the Evil Eye tribe, they have small round shields that seem to make the common goblin models look really rather awesome. Does anyone know what these shields are from?

cb-rex: They're the wooden back to the round shields you get on the goblin spue. Without having the book here I can't recall if they removed the hanging accessories not. However, if you've got either common goblin box set then you will have those shields

It is a fair point about the common goblins, they really are a squeeze on a 20mm. This shouldn't be a problem provided we all just try and keep the figures within a 20mm x 20mm rectangle. It might make your job of ranking them up more difficult but if you allocated specific positions in the unit to people before they do their miniature then we could adjust the poses accordingly (i.e if you're in the left hand column then there would be scope to expand out in that direction).

For what it's worth I'm more than happy to forfeit my right to winning the unit (to my mind it'll be a travesty to have the unit sitting on my shelf rather than bashing some heads on the table) whilst also accepting the personal stigma of only doing a rank and file guy.

Looking forward to it.

EDIT: If the issue is people's figures being in (or near) the front rank, providing you get at least 30 entries you could always do the unit in horde formation. Clearly it'd be more effective game wise if you could get 50 in the unit but it might overcome the chagrin some may feel at being barely able to see their contribution.

Still looking forwward to it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mostyn on Mar 28 2012, 07:08 AM
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 10:25 AM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

Making a nasty one would be much fun, so count me in on that one please!
Go and look for the parts...

grtz,

Kees
Gork Morksson
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 12:32 PM

Orc

Member No.: 5,801

Sign me up biggrin.gif
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 12:34 PM

Warboss Azbad Bonecruncher

Member No.: 4,967

I think running in horde formation is a great idea, we've already got 26 people interested and this has only been up for a week. I'll try and get lots of pictures again from all angles so that everyone can see their Goblin in the regiment, having extra wide ranks will definitely help with this.

Also I have managed to recruit someone awesome to do the unit champion. biggrin.gif

I'll release the full painting/modelling guidelines later today. It will be fine and save me time, if you want to fully base your models up before sending them (I'll list the basing materials and colours that are being used, so you can get a match) although if your doing this please make sure your Goblin is carefully positioned on the base and not protruding out in every which way.

For anyone that doesn't mind me basing their model it will make things easier if they leave them off the bases so I can position them individually to make sure the unit ranks up.

@Mostyn: Thanks for the info, yes the shields do have little dangly bits, I need to pick up a box of common Goblins.
amysrevenge
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:20 PM

Fancyman of Cornwood

Member No.: 5,554

Regarding a Horde, if I'm doing a model anyway, I could probably just as easily do a 2x3 (ie. 6 model) unit filler if there was desire for that. I've got several pre-cut bases in that size already, and lots of interesting bits (and an idea I've been holding for a while that fits a normal O&G theme but doesn't fit my winter theme). In addition, I could keep to the middle of the base giving more room for neighbouring models to rank up.
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:42 PM

Here are the full details of the Second Community Unit Project, including how to contribute to the project and earn the chance to become the owner of the whole unit:

1) Read through and then register your intent on this very thread.

2) Model and paint to the best of your ability, a single hand weapon, shield and bow wielding, current size/style common Goblin with a standard 20mm square GW base. Your model can be customised as you see fit, for example with the 'Da Warpath' foot icon, regional attributes, personal attributes, etc. However to help all the models look great together on the battlefield please follow these guidelines:

i) Incorporate the iconic GW Orc & Goblin colour scheme, (primarily green skin with red as the contrasting colour with other colours; silver metal, blacks, browns, etc).

ii) Paint your base edges black and add your user name, or shortened name, or other suitable name, to the centre of the front side of the base, in white.

iii) Basing - If you're confident in being able to match the basing (materials and colour ways) then I will describe the process later. Alternatively leave the top of your base empty, I will complete (with texture and static grass) your base together with the rest of the models bases for unit consistency. If you can provide models detached from their bases this will also help me rank them up.

iv) No overly extruding parts in any direction, e.g. spears stuck into shields or tall back banners. While they can make a model look really good, I found from last time they simply aren't practical for this project ranking up and are too easily damaged.

Note - In some circumstances I may need to repair damage, touch up, or reposition your model, if it wont rank up. I will only do this in the most minimal and appropriate way possible to preserve the model in (or as close as possible) to how originally intended. I will also be giving each model protective coat of matt spray varnish, before sending to the winner.

3) Before, during and after completion of the model you should post work in progress photos in this thread - with a dated note next to each WiP shot, (so we know your model has been made for this project and we can see how the unit is shaping up).

4) When your model is complete and you have shown us all a photograph of it, let me know and I will send you a PM with my shipping address so you can send me your model to add to the unit. Please protectively package your model appropriately, (ideally to fit through my letterbox). If sending from outside of the UK please factor in the extra time it will take to deliver. I will let you know when your model has arrived, however will not be held responsible for your model until I receive it.

5) The cut off time for posting your completed photo for this project is 29th May 2012 (sorry no entries after this time). Your model should get to me by 31st May 2012 to give me time to add it to the unit.

6) The winner of the unit will be randomly drawn, from the everyone who contributes at least 1 Goblin, at the end of May, (excluding people who have opted out). If you want to donate a model but would prefer not to be entered into the draw to win the unit please let me know, e.g. If you feel that some of the other entrants would appreciate winning the unit considerably more than yourself then it's nice to opt out of the draw.

7) Once the winner is announced I will contact them requesting a shipping address, and then dispatch the unit to them protectively packaged via appropriate tracked/insured post, aiming for them to receive the unit by the end of May.

8) When the winner receives the unit they are encouraged to tell the community how amazing the unit is, and describe and show it's performance on the battlefield.

If I've missed anything or if you have any queries regarding painting or basing your model please feel free to ask on this thread, or drop me a PM. I'll try and keep adding to the everyone who's in on this list on page 1, however if I've missed you out accidentally please drop me a PM.

CCUP2 officially starts...... Now!

This post has been edited by cb_rex on May 17 2012, 03:20 PM
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:50 PM

QUOTE (amysrevenge @ Mar 28 2012, 02:20 PM)
Regarding a Horde, if I'm doing a model anyway, I could probably just as easily do a 2x3 (ie. 6 model) unit filler if there was desire for that.  I've got several pre-cut bases in that size already, and lots of interesting bits (and an idea I've been holding for a while that fits a normal O&G theme but doesn't fit my winter theme).  In addition, I could keep to the middle of the base giving more room for neighbouring models to rank up.

This is a nice idea, however I could see it becoming impossible to rank the unit up if a few people wanted to do unit fillers. Also 6 models is a lot of models to just give away with only a small chance of winning, what does everyone else think?

This post has been edited by cb_rex on Mar 28 2012, 02:51 PM
Snikpik
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:56 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

QUOTE (cb_rex @ Mar 28 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (amysrevenge @ Mar 28 2012, 02:20 PM)
Regarding a Horde, if I'm doing a model anyway, I could probably just as easily do a 2x3 (ie. 6 model) unit filler if there was desire for that. I've got several pre-cut bases in that size already, and lots of interesting bits (and an idea I've been holding for a while that fits a normal O&G theme but doesn't fit my winter theme). In addition, I could keep to the middle of the base giving more room for neighbouring models to rank up.

This is a nice idea, however I could see it becoming impossible to rank the unit up if a few people wanted to do unit fillers. Also 6 models is a lot of models to just give away with only a small chance of winning, what does everyone else think?

I think I wanted to do a small diorama or two too! Maybe see who wants to contribute more than one model in a separate list and go from there?
Snikpik
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 03:06 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

I've just seen the date and sadly I will not be able to take part. I will be out of the country until a few days after the due date. (if only it were June) sad.gif

This post has been edited by Snikpik on Mar 28 2012, 03:08 PM
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 03:13 PM

Ok, well I guess similar to command models, we could only have so much space taken up by larger based unit fillers. When I think about it hordes are 10 wide which is quite wide so this could be doable. Single rank multi model bases would obviously fit in fairly easily.

I'm definitely open to it and I'm not trying to shoot anyone down, but I don't want things getting out of control either. The main focus of the project is on single models so the bulk of the unit needs to be made up of these. We could have maybe say between 3 and 5 people doing multi base equivalent dioramas, depending on how big each one is.

We need to gather more opinion from other people taking part before making any decisions I think.
amysrevenge
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 03:20 PM

Fancyman of Cornwood

Member No.: 5,554

QUOTE (cb_rex @ Mar 28 2012, 07:50 AM)

It wouldn't be 6 models, more like 3. From my bits box. tongue.gif

The benefits (on a case-by-case basis) are twofold:

1) We'd get a larger unit from the same number of participants. Even if it's just me doing it, it's still 5 more models than if I did just the one.

2) If the filler is built with a primary goal of ranking up easier, it will make it easier and not harder to rank up adjacent models. Placing this guy in the second and third ranks, in the middle, allows (furious sketching) 14 surrounding models to encroach over the edges of the filler. Specifically, two 2x3 fillers in a horde unit of total size 40 is entirely optimal in that every one of the 28 actual goblins can be either on an outside edge or have one edge alongside a filler.

The costs are also twofold:

1) Some people don't like the very idea of unit fillers.

2) If several people wanted to do them, it would be awkward. Two 2x3 fillers in a unit this size works (I do it even when I have the proper models available with my Night Goblins), any more becomes unwieldy.
Da Git
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 04:21 PM

Orc

Member No.: 6,067

I won't mind a 6-gobbo sized filler or two. It makes it a lot easier to play with the unit. And I know you guys make them real good, so looks are not a worry. smile.gif

I will most likely make at least two gobbos myself, but on separate bases. Unless you'd like 3 or 4 on an 80 mm x 20 mm magnetized base... smile.gif
Craze_b0i
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 05:14 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

QUOTE (Mostyn @ Mar 28 2012, 07:02 AM)
I'm just looking at the Goblin command group at the top of page 84 of the O+G Army Book, the Evil Eye tribe, they have small round shields that seem to make the common goblin models look really rather awesome. Does anyone know what these shields are from?

cb-rex: They're the wooden back to the round shields you get on the goblin spue. Without having the book here I can't recall if they removed the hanging accessories not. However, if you've got either common goblin box set then you will have those shields

Yep. They are the round ones with a lightning bolt. I guess if you want to use them back to front like that you would need to cut off the lightning bolts - though that should pretty easy.

This post has been edited by Craze_b0i on Mar 28 2012, 05:14 PM
azhagmorglum
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 08:24 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 384

On point n2 of the rules : does the goblin have to wear the 3 options, i.e single hand weapon+shield+bow, or can we choose a mix of at least 2 of these items, or a specific combo like weapon+shield, or weapon+bow, etc...

Let me know. I can't wait to start working on my goblin, and I hope to be albe to finish my part of the project
Mostyn
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 08:51 PM

Da open minded git

Member No.: 4,159

Great work on the guidelines cb-rex.

Whe you get a moment (no massive rush, I'm not starting on the goblin just yet) can you outline how you do your bases please? I'm pretty confident I can manage to replicate them as long as I know the colours. Also it'll give me the option of sprucing-up the plastic square a little. Or potentially placing the little fella on a 2" high rock so he stands out properly wink.gif.

Still still looking forward to this.

This post has been edited by Mostyn on Mar 28 2012, 09:16 PM
« Next Oldest | Painting and Hobby | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (38) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0898 seconds | Archive