Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 8th Conversion Competition: Rank and File Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Amplebob's Blog - The Creeping Fang, Forest goblins... 3000+pts painted...
amplebob
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 10:38 AM

Boss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,413

Hi all,

After years of watching the incredible array of armies that are posted on these forums I finally decided to bite the bullet and post up some of my Orc and Goblin figures. Its an army that hasn't seen much love since I started it on the Battle for skull pass release date. Its generally taken a back seat to my Lizardmen and TombKings, but I recently started a slow grow league, and decided to use it to make me build up a forest goblin force...

A while back I posted up this wip of a spider shrine/pump wagon...
user posted image

It is now finished...
user posted image

user posted image

I dont have many more or decent photos of my troops at the moment, but i'll take some as they come in over the next few days and post them up. For now here's a shot of a wip unit filler for a forest goblin unit. I was originally thinking these would be big drums, but they've kinda turned into a throne... Guess it'll depend how I paint it up/place the goblins...

user posted image

Any and all comment welcome... Stay tuned for BFSP spiders on 20mm bases...

This post has been edited by amplebob on Oct 16 2013, 11:12 AM
Snikpik
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 02:00 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

Nice good start. I will keep an eye on your blog me thinks.
amplebob
Posted: Mar 23 2012, 05:45 PM

Boss

Well, I've taken a couple of pictures of some of my completed stuff. There's also some fluff and coverage of the slow grow league i've been playing in the past couple months. (warning: big post)

Warboss Nabba on Gigantic spider Fido. Just a straight up greenstuff conversion of a BFSP spider with a couple of goblin shields to make the saddle, was a lot of fun to make and paint. Not the most competitive option, but a massive part of my theme, and they've done me proud in a couple of matches.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Forest goblins with spider unit filler. I run these guys as night goblins with nets. The nets represented by setting the spider on the oppo, but sometimes it attacks the goblins instead.
user posted image

Spider squigs. Everyone wants a cheaper squig right (GW squig prices are terrifying)? 2attacks at WS4 S5 I3 is great, especially in the smaller games i've been playing with this army. I wanted squigs, but also wanted to keep going with the spider theme, and originally bought a bunch of plastic Halloween spider toys to be my squigs. They just weren't big enough or detailed to represent their stats or look good and the warhammer quest spiders were also slightly too small. It was then I had a brainwave. I could use all the spare spiders from my converted forest goblin infantry as the squigs. They're a pain to rank up, but actually fit ok when on a movement tray, and i'm quite happy with the look of them crawling all over each other.
user posted image

Bolt throwers from ramshackle. At 4.50 each, it would have been rude not to, not the best models, but at least they stick together unlike the GW ones...
user posted image

I'm working on a boat load of projects at the moment, not really getting anything finished. The drums from the first post are currently in quickshade and I have 3 chariots nearing completion... Then there's 10 BFSP trolls that i'm going to convert with ogre arms and weapons and a massive amount of common, forest and night goblins to paint. There's also a very big spider that is yet to be constructed. But really, I should paint a shaman first...

The slow grow league I'm in just completed its first phases of 500 and 750 pts on monday night. We played a multiplayer 3000pts a side battle to conclude the league. Going into the game the title would either go to me or a lizardmen player who'd been bombarding everyone with comet's for the past couple of months. One of the other guys wrote up a scenario and story giving bonus victory points for killing characters so I wrote some pre-fluff:

Forest goblins chanted in the night, their ugly faces and red eyes illuminated by the fires of their torches. Shaman Ugla and Warboss Nabba stood atop the spider shrine, rousing the boys to frenzy. A giant, silken egg had been discovered, wider than Nabba's gigantic spider and taller than a troll. The lads had toiled for days and sacrificed much to drag it back to camp. Big boss Dubnit and his entire contingent had been slaughtered distracting a horde of bloodthirsty daemons, and warboss nabba had had to do some walking. He hated walking.

Back at the camp the boys had arrayed themselves in a circle and began to chant. Ugla, mutated by skullback spider venom and the the wierd magical fungus the tribe had discovered growing on the cadaver of a defeated night goblin shaman, was entranced. Casting aside the visions of gork and mork, he exposed himself to the many eyed gaze of the arachnid gods of the forest. Communing with them, he was made aware of their demands. Sacrifice, offering and flesh. To hatch the egg, to be deemed worthy of the spider's blessing, the tribe would have to bring forward the bodies of the heroes of their enemies as tribute.

As a red moon faded into the dawn and a glowing comet burned down across the sky, the goblins of the Creeping Fang marched to war.

In the end the forces of evil (me, vampire counts, warriors of chaos and daemons) defeated the forces of order (lizardmen, empire and ogres). I wrote up a report of how my characters got on in the battle...

Nabba and Ugla had seen it all before, those pesky Lizards were ruining his day. The big scary saurus had decimated the squigs and driven off the creeping fang's best fighters, the huge stegadon had splintered their precious spider shrine and that damn skink priest had thus far been immune to his most vindictive and ugly glares. Though the rest of the battle was going well, the creeping fang would have few offerings for the spider god if things continued this way and ugla didn't like the idea of sacrifices...

The priest was summoning yet another comet, but as it was no direct threat to himself ugla did not attempt to dispel it, he had more sinister plans. On his middle finger, was a ring of spider teeth, teeth that could harness and then reflect the winds of magic. As the priest's spell reached its climax the ring began to glow and vibrate, it began to burn into ugla's skin, so that he began his own chant of profanities. Hearing the comet roaring closer, seeing the skink rise on its toes in triumph and unable to control the ring any longer, Ugla made his feelings clear. Raising his gnarled and wart ridden middle finger squarely at the priest and calling him an elf, ugla unleashed the power of the ring. Purple bolts of pure revenge shot across the battlefield and struck the lizard in the chest, punching through his scaled hide and making a mess of his inards. The priest slumped forwards with a gargle, seeing his last comet burn up in the atmosphere while ugla celebrated a new offering to the spider gods.

Across the battlefield, Nabba had been doing his best to avoid doing anything, however, he would later tell the lads that he'd just been waiting for his time to strike. He did need a sacrifice for the spider gods though, and he wasn't sure how to get it. The stegadon running over the spider shrine had enraged him, and would be a great offering, but he wasn't too confident about taking on the beasty on his own. He was just considering that backstabbing a few of the big sworded red headed daemons would be a good plan, when he witnessed ugla's impressive and brutal murder of the skink priest. Nabba could afford a lot of things, but being outdone by his pesky shaman was not one of them.

Instilled with new courage nabba spurred his steed fido towards the roaring stegadon, which, spotting them, also began to charge. Seeing the vast bulk and enormous horns of the beast, nabba knew a head on collision would only end one way. Forming a sneaky plan in his mind, while the giant lizard thundered towards him, nabba waited until the last moment before making fido jump above its horns and into the skinks on the howdah. The puny little gits were taken by surprise and nabba and fido slaughtered them, while the stegadon was still trying to work out where he'd gone. Realising the spider was on its back the beast started running and trashing about, nabba was startled, but he was chained to his mount, and fido would never let go. Inching along the stegadon's back fido waited for her moment to strike, before plunging her fangs deep into the beasts neck behind its crest and killing it dead with her ruinous venom.

Looking up from atop the carcass of his newest trophy and seeing the allied forces arrayed against him driven from the field Nabba roared in triumph, the glory of the day, the offering, the sacrifice and soon the blessing of the spider god, would all be his...

Was quite pleasing to win this little league. I found that goblins can be really powerful at these small points levels with cheap and powerful units. It could also go horribly wrong having a top leadership of 7 though...

This post has been edited by amplebob on Mar 23 2012, 06:00 PM
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 23 2012, 06:16 PM

Warboss Azbad Bonecruncher

Member No.: 4,967

This army blog is shaping up nicely. I like the blue and red on the spiders they look nice. You might want to make larger bases for your Bolt Throwers that you can place the crew in, it makes it much easier for playing with.

Keep up the good work!
amplebob
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 10:08 PM

Boss

Time for an update...

The drum filler for the forest goblins is finished. Think it came out ok, not amazing, but goes nicely in the unit.
user posted image

The unit is now 50 strong, so a good laugh to field. Though in my most recent game against warriors of chaos they got stuck in a fungus forest and failed stupidity 3 turns in a row. One of the few times i've been trying to fail an animosity test...
user posted image

Here's one of my spider chariots done. Its a simple conversion using a tomb king chariot. The other two are painted and based, just need some crew to arrive (40 more forest gobbos are en route from hoard o bits, love that store).
user posted image

I've also been working on converting up some battle for skull pass trolls with some ogre bits. I'm fairly happy with how the arms have come out, but i'm interested in ideas for making the bodies and faces different.
user posted image

Finally there is my night goblin shrine/pump wagon to go with my night goblin contingent. Cant really see too much of the detail yet cause its all black, but i'm looking foward to painting it (will be based and finished after both parts are painted). Its being drawn by a dunger from ramshackle.
user posted image

My shaman is painted up, just sitting in my shed waiting for the quickshade to dry. An i'm two colours away from finishing batch painting 46 of the old single piece goblins with spears.

On the gaming front, I've played three matches at 1000pts as my slow grow league grows.
I lost against skaven. An early doom rocket acounting for almost half my horde and plague also bringing the pain. But the squigs and chariots fought back and going in to the last turn, there were 4 models left, a doomwheel in combat with a bigboss on gigantic spider, while my lvl4 night goblin shaman, and the last model of a 50 strong night goblin horde were moving away. Doomwheel kills the bigboss in combat then uses warp lightning to kill the last two gobbos. 560pt swing in the last turn, ouch!

I drew against Ogres, my lvl 4 blew up 2nd turn and invincible single sabretusks accounted for my pump wagon and chariots. This sent my squigs and spider bigboss into a rage, where they accounted for most of the ogres and salvaged a draw.

I also drew against warriors. A huge curse of the bad moon taking down 20 marauders from a horde and the chariots causing mayhem. But his death magic general slowly stole the souls of my characters and my goblin horde were too busy being stupid in a wood to charge him.

We're taking a break over the easter weekend from gaming, but i'm hoping to get some stuff finished.

Any and all comments, advice, criticism would be welcome. Also, if anyone knows where you can get left arms with bows that would work with the forest goblin spider riders i'd be grateful. The night goblin ones are all right arms, most vexing...

Cheers.

This post has been edited by amplebob on Apr 4 2012, 10:10 PM
EntertainMe
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 11:43 AM

Big Boss

Member No.: 2,893

I love the dark red + blue colors for an army!
Really looks great in the larger shots.

Also, great idea to use Ogre parts on the trolls.
Not sure if I like it enough to steal it, but I'm keeping an eye on this thread for the painted pics.

As for make the trolls different.
for the bodies try adding trophies (chopped heads, skulls, an Ogre gutplate).
For the faces you'r probably going to have to use green stuff.
Most effective are making the teeth longer.
Other stuff is cutting the chin or filling up the gaps.
The gaps in the nose can be easily filled as well.

Small changes, but it changes the overall look.

Btw, this army is starting to look pretty great!

Grtz
-EM-
amplebob
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 04:50 PM

Boss

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you like the look of it so far. I chose red and blue cause they're colours that I feel confident painting. This might be because they are the main focus of my Tomb King and Lizardmen armies, but i'm not a natural artist, so I stick to what I'm ok at.

@ Cb_rex: Yeah, maybe I should put them on bases, especially as the crew often find their way on to the floor when deployed under my elbows at the back of my deployment zone...

@EntertainMe: Thanks a lot for the face tips. Filling in the gaps in the nose should be within my capabilities and should do the trick. I've given one of the trolls an ogre gut plate, but the ogre models are so much fatter, that they dont fit to well. Changing the trinkets and trophies could certainly make a good difference.

I've been trying to mock up a mangler spider today, but 60mm suddenly becomes very small when you've so many legs and bit of chain to contend with... The shaman is varnished and waiting to dry before being based.

Have a good Easter people.

Morten C
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 05:16 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

You've actually made a gigantic spider out of a giant spider.. AND made it look good. Impressive smile.gif Really like the rest of the blog as well!
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 05:19 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Looks good! I love the basing. The colors of spiders are good, too.

If you wanted some variety in the rank and file, you might be able to do something like clip the wrists at an angle and re-attach them at slight angle to give them variety of holding spear up. Or even just sit them at angles on the base! I like it, though.
Wazoo
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 02:37 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 5,687

Nice looking army! I really love the gigantic spider and the drums conversion! Keep it up!

Wazoo
amplebob
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 10:09 AM

Boss

Woah, hectic easter over. Great to see such friendly comments on here. Thanks a lot.

I'm just off to play a 2k game against a mate, not sure what i'll be up against (he could bring ogres, dwarves or any kind of elves). But will be using the arachnorok for the first time, very exciting. Will post pictures of progress and respond properly to comments this evening.

Update:

First i'll respond to some of comments:

@Morten C: Thanks man, that spider took me plenty of time to green stuff into submission though. The legs were breaking all over the place and I gave up on it several times, but i'm pleased with the final results for sure.

@groznit goregut: Thanks man, the basing was a revelation of a friend of mine. He found cheap 1 foot square cork boards from wicks (uk hardware chain) for about 1 each. You can just break off pieces and glue them to the base. Really easy to drybrush a nice stone finish on the cork too.
Yeah, the spiders are painted red and blue because I'm very happy painting those colours, hopefully the scheme will transfer nicely on to the arachnorok.
I know what you mean about the regimented look of the forest goblins, I quite like it personally, having spent a lot of time with 1 piece models. But I think your right, variety would help the overall look, I'll mix things up a bit more on the next unit of 50.

@Wazoo: Thanks, the drums were a lot of fun to put together. The mad thing about making unit fillers is you almost feel silly "when am I going to take 9 models off in one go", but then you actually play a game with your goblins and realise there are endless situations for taking off more than 9 models.

So I ended up playing two games. The first was against my friend's high elves. He pincushioned the Arachnorok, but fell foul of fanatics. We ended up playing out a very close draw with a victory pts difference of 17.

The 2nd game was against a small, character heavy dwarf army. The archnorok did better, eating some thunderers and a rune lord, while the trolls brought the pain on the other dwarf units.
user posted image
The rest of my army spent a lot of time squabbling, but I was actually pleased as it meant I could use my animosity marker.
user posted image
But in the end I ran out the comfortable winner.

I finished my shaman Ugla, so here's a picture. Not the most extravagant paint job, but i'm happy with how he came out:
user posted image

The arachnorok is built, but I dont think i'm going to start painting it up until i've finished a few other things (and written some fluff for its hatching). Most urgent is good looking forest goblin warboss on foot, any suggestions of a good model? But I should really test paint up a troll or 2.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

This post has been edited by amplebob on Apr 13 2012, 05:55 PM
Wazoo
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 07:43 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 5,687

The shaman looks cool, I really like the blue and red on the spider legs! His skin could use a little more highlighting but I am fond of over-highlighting models so it may not be to your taste...

Wazoo
Thitanium Prince
Posted: May 3 2012, 03:04 PM

Capo Muso Duro

Member No.: 5,560

How could I have missed such an awesome blog? biggrin.gif that's plenty of awesome ideas, the drums look amazing and the spider boss is a great conversion ^^
I like the modified trolls. Regarding faces and belly: you can easily substitute the stuff hanging from their necklaces, or remove them totally, you can convert the heads by adding some horns/bone protrusions, or adding lomg teeth like EM said. You can also try to make a greenstuff hood for one or two of them, or add some feathers, to make them fit more your army theme biggrin.gif
azhagmorglum
Posted: May 3 2012, 05:26 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 384

Nice little forest shaman. The base on the arachnarok looks promising with all those cork rocks
Morkmillian
Posted: May 5 2012, 03:34 PM

Orc

Member No.: 6,462

the forest goblin boss that rides the gigantic spider is a very cool model.
tho i havnt seen him sold seperatly on auction sites before so you may have to get the whole kit for him.

you could probally convert a cool forest goblin boss out of the arack crew to.
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1220 seconds | Archive