InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Da Great Mushroom Thread, Da-Warpath's mushroom tutorials.
Snikpik
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 10:04 AM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

The Mushroom is synonymous with Goblins, particulalry Night Goblins and many of us here at Da-Warpath use them as part of our theme. I have seen some decent Mushrooms that have been scratch built, after all, having goolged for them it seems its hard to buy decent ones for our needs.

So this is the place to share your knowledge and know-how. So how do you make your mushrooms?

Mine are relatively simple. Firstly I mixed Milliput with some green stuff. The green stuff seemed to make the milliput easier to mould for my needs. I only added a small amount.

I used a flat surface which I covered in vasaline, to make it non stick.

I layed out the milliput/greenstuff mix and flattened it out to around 1-2mm in thickness. I then cut round circles until I ended up with soemthing like this:

user posted image

Using a knife I scored marks in to it, radiating out from the centre. This will formt he gill part of the mushroom (or what ever it is called). Once dried it should look soemthing like this:

user posted image

As thats drying I took some more of the milliput/greenstuff mix and rolled it in to a sausage. I made varying sizes so I had a mix to allow me to play around and make different sized mushrooms. Carefully I twisted the sausage and then cut it in to lengths of 1.5cm - 3cm's. These were thn stood on end and slightly flattened:

user posted image

user posted image

Once completely dried I glued both bits together to make this:

user posted image

Dont worry about any finger print marks at this stage as it will all add to the texture and not look like finger print marks when done.

When that was glued I added more milliput/greenstuff mix in top and moulded it in to a dome shape. I wet my fingers quite a bit and rubed them over the dome to smooth it out, a bit like shaping clay. This works quite well with this milliput mix. At the end it should resemble soemthing like this:

user posted image

Once dried you can add it to bases or scenery like this spider rider base I am working on:

user posted image

And some I already did a while ago:

user posted image

user posted image

Once painted up they should look like mushrooms:

user posted image

user posted image

You could experiment and add raised discs for the white spots, or add strips of green stuff radiating from the centre of the dome. I have tended to keep mine simple though.

This isnt the best tutprial in the world but I hope it may inspire or help those that want to add some mushroom magic to their waaagh's.

This post has been edited by Snikpik on Feb 22 2012, 10:10 AM
Morten C
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 10:52 AM

Warboss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,542

Haha... Those mushrooms are perfect for the gobbos to play with! Great tutorial Snikky!
theorox
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 11:42 AM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

smile.gif Nice job! I made a tree-sized one yesterday, with much less effort put into it. laugh.gif I used something like blue-tac and just made a vaguely mushroomoid shape, put it on a stem and sealed it with wood glue. Need to get me some milliput or similar, though!

Theo
Morten C
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 12:38 PM

Warboss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,542

QUOTE (theorox @ Feb 22 2012, 11:42 AM)
smile.gif Nice job! I made a tree-sized one yesterday, with much less effort put into it. laugh.gif I used something like blue-tac and just made a vaguely mushroomoid shape, put it on a stem and sealed it with wood glue. Need to get me some milliput or similar, though!

Theo

You shaped a blue mass of putty into a vauge mushroom-like shaped, with a height of roughly 6 inches??

You might wanna reconsider showing that of to your friends Theo laugh.gif

Uh, but please do post pics!!!

This post has been edited by Morten C on Feb 22 2012, 12:39 PM
theorox
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 02:04 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

Like a toadstool, not a, her, limb! laugh.gif And it was actually smaller than that. (thatswhatshesaid)

Theo

This post has been edited by theorox on Feb 22 2012, 02:07 PM
« Next Oldest | Painting and Hobby | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0503 seconds | Archive