Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Best Build For A Big Boss General?
LordGnashrak
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 01:42 AM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 402

Hey all,

I have a 1500 point tournament tomorrow and I'm probably using a lvl 4 orc shaman.

What's the best build, for an Orc Big Boss, he'll be the general of the army. I can't decide on a magic weapon or armor combo....

I'm thinking of running him in a unit of 24 Black Orcs with the standard of discipline.

My battle standard looks like this...

Black Orc Battle Standard Dirk Backstabba
-Armor of fortune, Armed to da teef

Please help!
rat of vengence
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 03:26 AM

They seek him here, they seek him there...

Member No.: 3,575

I am running mine with Sword of Battle and Armour of Destiny. I'd rather not put too many points into one model, and use him to wallop rank and file rather than go hunting uber characters, which are best dealt with by my 40 night goblin net tarpit.

RoV
Boogeyman
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 06:47 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (rat of vengence @ Feb 11 2012, 03:26 AM)
I am running mine with Sword of Battle and Armour of Destiny. I'd rather not put too many points into one model, and use him to wallop rank and file rather than go hunting uber characters, which are best dealt with by my 40 night goblin net tarpit.

RoV

Bigboss cannot have more than 50 points of magic items.

I would take enchanted shield and amulet of preservation. 4+/4+ save is quite good for bigboss. Or just Armour of destiny, with regular shield it goes again 4+/4+ save

This post has been edited by Boogeyman on Feb 11 2012, 06:48 AM
theorox
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 07:24 AM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

Yeah, Blackorc with just Armed to da Teef and Armour of Destiny would be a good build. Or just use your Greatshaman as general, in the Blackorcs! smile.gif

Theo
Shimmergloom
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 10:06 AM

Warboss

Member No.: 2,177

I really think that if you are going to make a big boss orc your general, then you need to keep him as far away from combat as possible.

Attach him to a bunker of 20 night goblins and just give him a shield and at most the opal amulet for potential look out sir! failures. If you're really worried about him dying, then give him the 4+ ward.

However, if you keep him out of combat, he should really only die to either a failed look out sir!, which is rare. Panic and fleeing off the table, which the 4+ ward will not help stop. Or magic spells that don't allow Look out Sir! or even if they do, do not allow saves, such as Int. test or Strength test spells, so again the 4+ ward won't save him.

But with just 2 wounds and I3 with only 50pts worth of items he can take, he is too fragile IMO to be put on the front lines, leading the army like a true combat lord.

He can be great to lead your army though, from a bunker combined with a cheap gobbo type bsb who carries the standard of discipline. So since you always want a bsb anyway, then for about 25% of a tooled up combat lord(because again you have to tool up your combat lords, because you have to keep them alive as well), you get all the LD capabilities of the lord, with much less risk.

And then for fighting prowress, you load up your orc and ng units with other cheap heroes, or much bigger units, or more chariots or whatever, which you can do, because you just saved over 150-200pts by not taking a combat lord or combat bsb.
Cornwall
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 12:04 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,564

Alternatively you could go with a goblin Warboss. For the same points you're getting an extra wound and and an extra point of initiative which could potentially help you survive spells such as the pit of shades. If you're intending to stay out of combat then it makes sense! My usual Warboss is just a plain cowardly goblin with a double handed weapon biggrin.gif
Gorks_wundapantz
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 12:16 AM

Da rekroota fer der big boss

Member No.: 5,660

QUOTE (Cornwall @ Feb 11 2012, 12:04 PM)
Alternatively you could go with a goblin Warboss. For the same points you're getting an extra wound and and an extra point of initiative which could potentially help you survive spells such as the pit of shades. If you're intending to stay out of combat then it makes sense! My usual Warboss is just a plain cowardly goblin with a double handed weapon biggrin.gif

also comes with a +50 point magic allowance!

i ran a big boss orc general in a recent game (died to Krell) i gave him the shield light armour, talisman of preservation and warrior bane.
i placed him in a unit of biguns with the discipline banner.

the loss of 1 point of armour was outweighed by the addition of having magic attacks. also, had he got a wound on krell, he would have diminished his combat prowess.
Arfa
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 01:13 PM

Da Warpath's resident mad scientist of conversions
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,092

QUOTE (Shimmergloom @ Feb 11 2012, 09:06 PM)
I really think that if you are going to make a big boss orc your general, then you need to keep him as far away from combat as possible.

Attach him to a bunker of 20 night goblins and just give him a shield and at most the opal amulet for potential look out sir! failures. If you're really worried about him dying, then give him the 4+ ward.

However, if you keep him out of combat, he should really only die to either a failed look out sir!, which is rare. Panic and fleeing off the table, which the 4+ ward will not help stop. Or magic spells that don't allow Look out Sir! or even if they do, do not allow saves, such as Int. test or Strength test spells, so again the 4+ ward won't save him.

But with just 2 wounds and I3 with only 50pts worth of items he can take, he is too fragile IMO to be put on the front lines, leading the army like a true combat lord.

He can be great to lead your army though, from a bunker combined with a cheap gobbo type bsb who carries the standard of discipline. So since you always want a bsb anyway, then for about 25% of a tooled up combat lord(because again you have to tool up your combat lords, because you have to keep them alive as well), you get all the LD capabilities of the lord, with much less risk.

And then for fighting prowress, you load up your orc and ng units with other cheap heroes, or much bigger units, or more chariots or whatever, which you can do, because you just saved over 150-200pts by not taking a combat lord or combat bsb.

If you're going down this route Charmed Shield & Opal Amulet are the best item combo, ignore the first hit (which happens after the LoS roll) on 2+, then opal for a 4++ if you're REALLY unlucky and fail it twice lol. Still only 20pts too. Id make him a regular orc though, dont worry about blorc if you're bunkering him with NGs.

Arfa da Grate
Skawilly
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:18 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,635

Black orc Warbosses are WAY pricier than Orcs. However its worth it if you take real advantage of Quell animosity and their WS. I think a simple Sword of Striking on these guys is really good. Make him your general, stick him with your SO big 'uns and give him a talisman of pres, spell shield, and a Sword of Striking. He will hit/wound MOST things on a 2+/2+ and have a 4+/4+ protection. Heck, even for 5 more pts. give him a luck stone. The spell sheild gives your SO's, w/a lucky mug, 4+ spell protection.

This post has been edited by Skawilly on Apr 14 2012, 01:18 PM
« Next Oldest | Tactics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0899 seconds | Archive