InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Mangler Squigs.
savageorc13
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 11:46 PM

Snotling

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,727

I at first was thinking about using mangler squigs because I figured they were really good for their points cost. Then I realized they could come crashing down into my own army and wipe out a god part of a unit. If they went the wrong direction they could wipe out a good portion of my army. What are your thoughts? yarr.gif
Jabroniville
Posted: Feb 3 2012, 09:08 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 3,686

I've found them to be VERY good at protecting flanks or certain parts of your army (NO enemy wants to just blunder a unit into them- 3D6 S.6 hits are WAY too many to brush off), so they're a very good avoidance unit for their points' cost. BUT, you don't want to stick them in the middle of your line, nor do you want to use them against an enemy with lots of expendable units (like guys who can create units of Zombies), who can and will set them off into your own lines. I once lost a Warboss on a Wyvern to a spectacularly-bad set of luck (they fled INTO the Squig with several wounds gone).

They're a good unit for the sheer fun of seeing it rip you AND your enemy apart, though.
Artiee
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 06:16 PM

Orc

Member No.: 5,934

I've once made the mistake and moved them in the front of my Big Uns. That turn, my Big uns roll a 1 and 6 on anmostiy and charged right though the Manglers. I lost 17 orcs on that charge.
gobbos4life
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 08:49 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 33

Put them near goblins biggrin.gif
Bolg
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 09:02 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,740

I always put them on the flank. no real treat for you but you still get the tactical advantage of your opponent shitting his pants and trying to deal with it. Its a missile and magic magnet, but who cares if the target your Mangler the dont shoot at the rest.

In The Netherlands most good tournaments have the no double rare rule, and I love that, you dont need 2 (and it also means you wont face 2 hydra's).

the only drawback is that the model has no WS value so magical attacks using a to hit Ws get auto hist...

Oh and the model is way to expensive for a 65 throw away unit (but quite awesome).
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 04:17 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I'm thinking of using my Mangler between my big combat blocks. That way, the enemy can't throw a cheap unit on top of it easy enough. Also, it will surely hit the enemy at some point. It might cause the Mangler to come back through my own units, though. I'll have to think about that.
Cannibalbob
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 05:11 PM

Orc

Member No.: 3,721

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Feb 9 2012, 04:17 PM)
I'm thinking of using my Mangler between my big combat blocks. That way, the enemy can't throw a cheap unit on top of it easy enough. Also, it will surely hit the enemy at some point. It might cause the Mangler to come back through my own units, though. I'll have to think about that.

That has worked well for me. But you have to be worried about when it gets out in front of them and mucks with charging. You can't control the speed he moves at, and he will invariably end up out front of your units. This can become an issue if you end up in range to charge but the mangler is still ahead of you. Since chargers are moved before compulsory you would have to charge through him.

In this situation he basically stalls you for a turn as you don't want to charge through your own mangler. However, this can be potentially very bad if you fail an animosity check and are forced to charge through him. But running them up the middle between units can be very potent - so the downfall is the risk of your army not behaving well and causing the strategy to backfire.
« Next Oldest | Orc and Goblin Stronghold | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0829 seconds | Archive