Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 8th Conversion Competition: Rank and File Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Guide To Fighting The Vampire Counts (8th Ed), The new 8th Ed book as of 2012
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 06:08 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Hi All,

This is the thread for the latest VC book. Please discuss how they are faring. How do you handle them?
theorox
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 06:21 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

I've played a few games against them, and I can tell you already that they're tough. I think it's mostly because they're new and most people don't know how to deal with them, but it's really hard to get any points off of them! The way I'd counter this is to always save your dispel dice for the dangerous spells and prioritise Invocation of Nehek, and as there likely won't be more than 2 casters casting that it shouldn't be too difficult.

The thing about that spell is that every caster can, and will, have it. And when it goes off not only does it restore his infantry to full size really quickly and heals cavalry almost as quick, it also touches his Corpsecart(s) wich gives several units ASF. It all clusterzogs from there. Ghouls gain re-rolls to hit against your orcs, Graveguard splat your characters and elites and...oh, it just gets ugly. Another spell to watch out for is Hellish Vigour (Re-rolls to wound) on Ghouls, since it works so well with their poison.

If you stop him raising back his stuff faster than you kill it you can win decently easily. Savage orcs hack their way through VC infantry quickly when they aren't buffed, and ganging up on his units with your supportunits make them crumble really quick. smile.gif

Theo
Cannibalbob
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 06:52 PM

Orc

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,721

One thing I have discovered is that large goblin hordes do amazingly well at chopping down the big undead blocks. Goblins are especially good at taking out zombies. It does not really matter if they have always strikes first or not. As goblins you are used to soaking up casualties, and most of the non-elite undead won't really kill too many goblins anyways. If you are using night goblins with nets then they have an even rougher time of causing wounds.

But the goblins fare pretty well at wounding the undead and a horde throws out a large volume of attacks - more if they have spears. Just the other day I had a Night Goblin horde with 2 heroes slug it out against a zombie horde. With average rolls I ended up winning combat by 18. That is a whole lot of zombies that crumble. I did not even have spears.

Personally, I think a lot of people are overestimating how good zombies are. They are certainly improved from their previous version, but WS1 really hurts. It means even goblins hit on 3s and the Zombies hit anything ws3 or greater on a 5. From what I have experienced and seen watching other games, zombies generally lose combat by a fair margin (even with ASF) and then lose a lot more to crumble. For the unit to effectively tarpit for more than 2 turns requires multiple castings of Invocation.

I find skeletons to be a lot better on the whole. But even against skeletons or grave guard a goblin horde is surprisingly effective. Throw enough dice and you can kill just about anything.
Cornwall
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 12:03 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,564

Vampire Counts Vargheists have the 'frenzy' special rule. Although this grants them +1 attack it does more harm when good when you take their LD7 into account. There also isn't really anyway the Vampire Counts can increase this easily, so when you see your opponent deploy them either stick something in front of them to divert them away, or alternatively place a fully ranked unit with a standard in front of them and invite them to charge. They will lose their extra attack after losing a round of combat and should be fast to crumble after that. Also note that a failed Frenzy check to see if you have to charge at the start of the turn means that they have to charge the 'closest' available target so deploy accordingly.
Cannibalbob
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 05:39 PM

Orc

I don't have the Vampire book on hand, but do the Vargheists have standard 4+ regeneration? I recall that when I looked at them I noticed that they were not too tough to kill and that I thought the Crypt Horrors looked like a better deal. I recall thinking that the Vargheists were very much a glass-cannon sort of troop.
Piccolo
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 06:16 PM

Orc

Member No.: 5,534

vargheist have no save whatsoever biggrin.gif
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 06:18 PM

Dwarven Archpirate

Member No.: 6,159

Hmm, what to do with regenerating and etheral enemy troops? If only we had some means o' woundin' them spooky beasts. So what say ye fine, mean Green Gener'ls about the Banner of Eternal Flame and ye Ruby Ring of Ruin? Be those things necessary to face the undead and come out on top? I 'm suggesting the ruby ring for both it flaming attacks and being an useful extra magic missile to cast against those Etheral Cavalry I keep hearing so much about.

This post has been edited by Captn Morgrim on Feb 2 2012, 06:20 PM
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 06:25 PM

Forest Lurkin' Backstabbin' Night Git

Member No.: 6,578

I played a smallish (1200pts) against the new VC. I don't think my opponent had quite gotten a hang of the book yet, but it wasn't a very tough game. One of my Manglers wiped out his Vargeist unit in a single go, my Doomer Diver showed his Blood Knights how well wandering around without a ward save works out, and a combo charge of NG's, a chariot, and a pump wagon showed his skeleton horde wot's wot. Of course, the magical exploding vampires didn't help him much (3 turns, 3 miscasts, 2 of them were dimensional cascades, killed a vampire and about 17 skellies between them).
Cannibalbob
Posted: Feb 2 2012, 06:45 PM

Orc

QUOTE (Piccolo @ Feb 2 2012, 06:16 PM)
vargheist have no save whatsoever biggrin.gif

That is what I thought - which made the unit underwhelming to me given how much they cost. My impression was that they were flying trolls with no save of any kind - and they cost more than river/stone trolls (48 each I think). They also have the vampiric rule which I think makes it tougher to reinforce them with invocation.

Honestly, I did not find Varghiests very impressive. But, the Crypt Horrors looked like a very solid unit.
Cornwall
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 09:39 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,564

Usually I field just about the cheapest Goblin Warboss that I can and try to keep him out of combat, however against the VC's I'd probably take an Orc Warboss.

To kill their units you've either got to wipe their magic users first or win the combat by a suitable large margin. An Orc Warboss would allow you to call Waaagh as he charged giving an extra D3 combat res to his unit. The chances are that on the charge you're going to win anyway so that D3 combat res would turn into an extra 2D3 wounds for the purposes of crumbling plus there's an extra point of combat res for every other unit fighting as well.

I think that's worth the extra points you pay for being an Orc
Gorks_wundapantz
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 03:34 AM

Da rekroota fer der big boss

Member No.: 5,660

ethereals:
giant's Pick up and... attack works against them, as does yell and bawl
night goblins nets still work against them
a flank charge will see them drop to static res.

characters:
bog krell down with a unit of nightgoblins without characters

magic:
while having access to shadow and death magic lists, be prepared for every caster to have lore of the vampires for the invocation of nehek
oreaper
Posted: Feb 20 2012, 02:59 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 6,405

With the release of the new VC book, undead have been popping up a lot at my new game store. The terrorgeist and banshees scream away my units while the mortis engine buffs and tarpits my bighitters like nobody's business. Aside from the waagh forward and hope for the best strategy, how are you guys dealing with this new nastiness. I have found the flaming banner bsb approach to be much more frequent in my latest lists.
Andy89
Posted: Feb 20 2012, 04:03 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,829

I havent read the new vampire book so I'll make some assumptions from what I know.

If the issue with the banshees and terrorgeists involves terror tests, then just take along a BSB and aim for a good leadership with the banner of discipline, etc
TheAlternate
Posted: Feb 20 2012, 04:16 PM

Orc

Member No.: 5,919

Magical attacks seem to be a bit of a bane to some units. ethereals are really scary, but they allways have been.

i bring at least one hero with a shrieking blade. (prevents feartests aswell)

i like the giant aswell.

Also, the guys can have very scary magicphases, but if he rolls low on the magic dice, it's pretty much a coaster.
A dispel scroll can be a game changer!

What makes the Flaming BSB so good if i may ask?
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 20 2012, 04:23 PM

Boss

Member No.: 6,571

Three words, my friends - Immune to Psychology. That's the first step in dealing with any Vampire army, as O&G Leadership is average at best and they have tools to mess with it (including negating your BSB's re-roll and making you roll 3 dice and keep the 2 highest for the test). That means Black Orcs, Savages, and Trolls should form the meat of your army. It also has the handy benefit of not having to sacrifice your BSB upgrade on something as easy to get as fire, because the Blorcs can just take it.

Secondly, fire comes in very handy to deal with all those pesky regenerators like Crypt Horrors and anything that's been affected by the Mortis Engine's aura. Speaking of the Mortis Engine, your Doom Divers and Rock Lobbers should be making a beeline for it - he'll fail some saves.

Third, Vampires have some nasty Ethereal chaff options. Consider a Orc Big Boss or a Gobbo Warboss running solo with a Boar/Gigantic Spider and a magic weapon in order to pop them off the board.
« Next Oldest | Army Specific Tactics | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0749 seconds | Archive