Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Game Of Thrones - The Books, Song of Fire and Ice
Craze_b0i
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 01:55 AM

Warboss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,714

So I just finished reading the first book. (I haven't seen the TV series yet as I don't have HBO or Sky.) When I picked it up I really knew nothing about the story save that it was fantasy-genre set on an alternate world.

As a student of English History my first impression was that it felt very much like The Wars of the Roses. No doubt others have made that observation as well. On the whole it was a pretty good read. The ending felt a bit ambiguous, I had expected them to resolve more of the issues - but otherwise not bad at all. smile.gif

Would be great to hear the opinion of others. (Ideally without too many spoilers on the later books).

This post has been edited by Craze_b0i on Dec 17 2011, 02:00 AM
Beithir Seun
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 02:23 AM

Orc

Member No.: 5,307

G.R.R Martin himself will tell you it's actually based on the Wars of the Roses - that was the inspiration for the story, so he'll be glad to know you recognised it even amongst the fantasy elements biggrin.gif

As for the ambiguous ending; it's only the first book! This simply sets the scene for the action that is to come in the following books wink.gif
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 05:34 AM

Forest Lurkin' Backstabbin' Night Git

Member No.: 6,578

I loved the series. And as Beithir said, don't expect any issues to be resolved at the end of ANY of the books. Think of it more as one giant book broken into smaller chunks rather than a series as they are normally done.
Craze_b0i
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 12:46 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

QUOTE (Beithir Seun @ Dec 17 2011, 02:23 AM)
G.R.R Martin himself will tell you it's actually based on the Wars of the Roses - that was the inspiration for the story, so he'll be glad to know you recognised it even amongst the fantasy elements biggrin.gif

Ah cool. Well apart from the map looking like a twisted version of Britain some of the characters have similarities.

King Aerys - Henry VI (both mad)
Robert Baratheon - Edward IV (who conveniently had 2 younger brothers as well, one of whom later claimed the throne)
Jamie Lannister - Earl of Warwick (kingslayer/kingmaker)

I suppose then the Starks represent the Scots (both live up in the north where its always cold).
Tarlen da Foeburna
Posted: Dec 26 2011, 04:21 PM

Pyromaniac Goblin Warboss

Member No.: 3,489

There's definitely some parallels. I think he said somewhere that he didn't want the books to be too similar to actual events so that people don't assume they know what'll happen next, but they exist...

Don't think you need to worry too much about spoilers, either. The fan community as a whole prefers to watch people find out certain plot points for themselves...and chuckle quietly at their reactions.
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Dec 31 2011, 02:26 AM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I never knew that about the War of the Roses, but that is interesting. I might have to read up on it. The books always leave a lot unanswered. I almost feel that the middle of the books answer the most questions. The last part just brings up things that get left to halfway through the next book.
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 08:08 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

For Valentine's Day:

user posted image
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 04:22 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Did no one think these cards were funny? I thought they were HILARIOUS !!!!!!
Da Git
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 08:14 PM

Orc

Member No.: 6,067

For some reason I didn't notice this post last week. They're great! Just remind me of them BEFORE valentines next year, in case I have someone to send one to. biggrin.gif
« Next Oldest | General Off Topic | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0952 seconds | Archive