Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Ng Bat Riders, Possible fun idea?
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 04:07 AM

Forest Lurkin' Backstabbin' Night Git

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,578

I saw someone around here a bit ago that had a NG stuck on that back of a giant bat, and it got me to thinking...that would be AWESOME! And hilarious! We really don't have any units that they would make a good proxy for. Closest would probably be a gobbo boss on Gigantic Spider, but not really that good a match between rules and fluff. Move 7? Wall-crawlers? Poison?! So I gave up on the idea, but I just had a flash of insight.

What about using them (in friendly games with consent of the opponent before hand of course) with the rules for Terradon Riders? Swap out the Skink stats with NGs (they're really close actually; ours are slightly worse in I and Ld) then change them from poisoned javelins to spear+shield+bow.

So my questions are this:
- If you faced a themed, converted army (not done solely to gain benefit) would you be okay with someone playing with these?
- If you had the chance to include them (stats, point cost, and usefulness wise) would you jump on it in an instant? If the answer is consistently yes for any reason other than that they are cool then they might be too good. I don't want to it to be an awesome socks cheese unit, I just think it'd be fun, funny, and really really neat!
- Would you (either using them or playing against them) be more comfortable with them as Special or Rare choices? In Lizards they are Special, and I don't think they give us any more than they give Lizzies (possibly less as we have so many quick light units already), but as it'd be adding in a unique unit I could see understand Rare.
- How good are Terradon Riders even considered? I've never played against Lizzards or had any friends own them, but I don't think I've heard about these getting included in any of the cheese lists that people dread. I can see them being pretty useful if you get lucky/face an opponent with no shooting, but 2W and a laughable save for 30pts sounds like it'd make them not much to worry about.

Any other thoughts? (And I suppose I should mention, I'm building a themed NG army so they would make more sense than, say, putting bat-boyz in an army chock full of Savage Orcs and Grimgore)
Anton
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 08:56 AM

Lucky Git

Member No.: 1,901

Of course I'd play against them if the rules weren't unreasonable. Always best to ask well in advance of course and it's never going to be allowed in a tournament no matter how underpowered they are.

Wouldn't they look better with just one rider? I like to crowd my Night Goblins as much as the next guy but if you went with just one it would probably look like the bat could actually still fly.

I see no need to use existing rules from another army book, you're already breaking the rules so you might as well make up your own. I don't think Drop Rocks fits very well for bats for example.

If you compare them to Terradons costwise and you remove a rider (lose 1A and 1W), lose Drop Rocks, lose Poison and lose Cold Blood you could either add some new special rule or reduce the points by quite a bit.

Hmm, I suppose you could replace rockdropping with squigbombing if you modelled it right.
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 02:22 PM

Huh, I didn't notice that Terradons had multiple riders. I was definitely thinking just one gobbo per bat (although as the Terradon itself has 2 wounds the model as a whole would still have 2 with only 1 rider).

What about changing the drop rocks to a sort of swooping attack that is closer to Daemons' Screamers? Have each Bat inflict a S4 hit whenever it moves over an enemy unit. Makes quite a bit more sense than dropping rocks. And Screamers are 35 pts, but they are S5 and have a 5+ Ward, so I'd still think that 30 for this rule would be pretty reasonable.
Sokk_Likk
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 05:41 AM

Orc

Member No.: 6,897

Sorry if I'm posting too late to be useful on this old-ish thread, I've only recently joined and I've been reading through some of these posts.

Interesting concept with bat riders, it seems the poor old greenskins are one of the few armies without flying units (apart from the Wyvern of course)

I used to play Lizardmen alot, and I found Terradon riders useful as long as they didn't try to be heroic.

Here's a few observations I can share about my experiences with them..

-They'd die pretty quickly against even quite modest infantry, and their low toughness meant that most shooting attacks meant almost certain death.
-Their rock-dropping attacks could take a good chunk out an elite unit or monster (if you didn't mind the Terradons getting squished in the process)
- They were a good suicide unit with a cheap character holding the Heart of Woe (dirty trick but it worked!)
- A hero with a cheapish magic weapon and a few other Terradon buddies could often act as assassins, lone characters or monster riders were often a little nervous when they heard leathery flappyness
- They worked well as faster fast cavalry (think Wolf Riders with wings), sweeping away skirmishers and warmachines/chariots (again with the dropping rocks) as long as they didn't take on anything too tough
- Their price seemed about right, weak but mobile and fast. I'm not sure if Flying High still exists in this edition, but back when I played them they could swoop down on anything on the table. Even the threat of something weak appearing anywhere on the table was enough for a few of my opponents to rethink their deployment and strategy.

Meanwhile, about the bats...
-The stats should be pretty similar to the Terradon riders, if they were too tough it would be almost cheating to include them.
- 30ish points sounds about right to me, considering they're quite weak but useful
- Two riders would be neat, one to fly it, the other to poke about with a spear or take potshots with a bow
-Maybe a Rare choice in an army lead by an Orc or Common Goblin character, and a Special choice if lead by a Night Goblin?
-For the swooping attack, maybe an automatic hit, but with the enemy unit getting a chance to strike back, maybe a -1 or -2 penalty to hit to account for them whooshing past?

I'm no Warhammer expert, but I hope my musings have been helpful smile.gif

Gramnir
Posted: Aug 11 2013, 04:35 PM

Da Stuntie

Member No.: 5,433

Old thread, but still wink.gif

Would you use vampire count fell bats as the bats, or are there better models out there?
The Question
Posted: Jan 7 2014, 04:32 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 7,574

I used the idea for a siege game I'll post the rules for the bats also had a special character on a bat.
The Question
Posted: Jan 7 2014, 05:02 PM

Snotling

I got the idea from a vampire counts armybook were it was stated that fell bats used to be "normal"giant bats.
So the NG found them in the deepest caves in the mountains.

Night Goblin Cave Lurker Riders at 18 points/model.

Name: M WS BS S T W I A LD
Night Goblin Cave Lurker Rider 4 2 3 3 3 2 3 1 5
Night Goblin Cave Lurker Rider* 4 2 3 3 3 2 3 2 5
Cave Lurker - 3 3 3 - - 3 2 3

* Boss

Unit Size: 3-15 Night Goblin Cave Lurker Riders.
Weapons & Armour: Handweapon & Spear

Options:

Shields at 1 point/model.
Shortbows at 1 point/model.
Upgrade 1 Night Goblin Cave Lurker Rider to a Night Goblin Cave Lurker Boss at 18 points.

Special Rules: Hate Dwarfs, Fear Elves (Both Rider only), Animosity, Flying Cavalry & Stomp.

Used this as a Special character that had to be bought to use this unit.

Hogsnikk Blood Drinker ( Night Goblin Big Boss)

Equipment:
- Hand Weapon
- Shield
- The Blood Drinker ( When Hogsnikk causes an unsaved wound in close combat he regains 1 wound earlier lost, if already at full health he get's the regeneration (6+) special rule)

Special Rules:
- Animosity (Size Matters)
- Fear Elves
- Hatred (Dwarfs)

Mount:
- Cave Lurker.

M WS BS S T W I A LD AS WS
Hogsnikk Blood Drinker 4 4 3 4 4 2 4 3 6 4+ -
Cave Lurker - 3 3 3 - - 3 2 3 - -

This post has been edited by The Question on Jan 7 2014, 05:07 PM
The Question
Posted: Jan 7 2014, 05:23 PM

Snotling

Pictures:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers,

Jeroen.
BorkBork
Posted: Jan 7 2014, 05:49 PM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

oowww.....nice unit! smile.gif

and i doubt anyone will have a problem with the rules, stats or points you posted.

This post has been edited by BorkBork on Jan 7 2014, 05:59 PM
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Jan 8 2014, 11:57 PM

Awesome! I never got around to making mine, and now I have a bajillion and a half unpainted unassembled models to work on, but glad that someone took up the idea. How did they perform?
The Question
Posted: Jan 9 2014, 12:59 AM

Snotling

QUOTE (Noisy Assassin @ Jan 8 2014, 11:57 PM)
Awesome! I never got around to making mine, and now I have a bajillion and a half unpainted unassembled models to work on, but glad that someone took up the idea. How did they perform?

Not that good Dwarfs were on the wall so it was a hard fight tongue.gif
Also in our club we use homemade units in our megabattles, last one they failed an animosity test and the next turn they fled of the table tongue.gif so not an impressive track record ^^.

Cheers,

Jeroen.
Noisy Assassin
Posted: Jan 9 2014, 03:17 AM

True gobbo fighting spirit!
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Jan 12 2014, 10:42 AM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

Very nice work!
Reminds me of two bats that must be lying around somewhere... Need to find them and yes copycat!
grtz,
Kees
amplebob
Posted: Jan 12 2014, 01:58 PM

Boss

Member No.: 5,413

Great unit idea. An you've made it look cool too.
I think your rules are pretty fair, and people will be happy to play against them. An if they aren't then you can at least use the boss as a gigantic squig.
Let us know how they perform in battle.
« Next Oldest | Bits and Baubles | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0926 seconds | Archive