Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

2000 Point Game Vs. Bretonnia, Last league game of the 1st phase !
Lord_Viper
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 12:58 AM

Warboss in training

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,335

Hello my fellow greenskin generals,

As promised, here's my detailed report of my last battle against the Knights of Bretonnia, final game of the first phase in our 2011 WHFB League. Thanks to your continued advice, I got a spot on the semifinals and hopefully I have a pretty good shot at the championship.

I described my list and my opponent's in this post so feel free to take a look if you want smile.gif

Into the game ! We rolled for scenario and for the first time in months, we got the good ol' Battle Line. I was really worried about "Meeting engagement" and "Dawn Attack" so the first roll of the game came as a relief: one thing less to worry about. Remarkable landmarks of terrain were the "Sinister Idol" on the center of the table, and the "Idol of Gork" nearby the forest. I rolled pretty well for my spells, though I didn't get hand and foot on the roll. I got: Brain busta, the shaman buffing one (more on this later), foot and the "mini-WAAGH!" (re-rolls) spell. Also, I rolled for the poison spell on my lvl. 1 gobbo shaman. Opponent got "Dwellers Below" and the regeneration spell.

DEPLOYMENT

user posted image

As planned, I deployed a chariot and the Black Orcs nearby the Doom Diver. Protecting the Lobba were my other two chariots and into the far right, I placed the Mangler Squig so it'll be able to reach and damage the clustered knights. The wolf riders were placed into the right (I thought about going treb-hunting) and the rest made up my center. In retrospective, Maybe I could have switched sides and place the BO in the right to capitalize on the fear causing Fire standard. My opponent clustered the knights on the right and faced the Grail Knights into my Black Orcs. So much for the fear causing strategy...

Turn 1 - Greenskins

user posted image

To get the blessing of the lady, my opponent conceded the first turn to me. And what a great first turn it was ! Movement was standard, I made a slight mistake with the wolves as I didn't reform them after free-moving them so they were only 2-models wide. I moved the chariot behind the house on the left, the Black orcs a bit to the left, and moved forward everything else. Shooting phase saw the killing of the trebuchet by a well placed rock from the gobbos on the lobba ! Great news and my opponent really was shocked by the display of skill/luck from the lil' gobbos laugh.gif The DD killed a knight in the general's unit. Foot of gork was dispelled.

Turn 1 - Bretonnia

user posted image

Pegasus knights charge my poor wolf riders, which of course hold. This was a strange charge as he told me that if you miss it by half an inch (as he did) you should consider the charge a successful one nevertheless. In the spirit of sportsmanship I let it pass and waited for the massacre of the wolves... All the Knights move forward, though they are rather conservative for my taste. Archers shoot my Wolf chariot but luckily only cause a wound in it. The other group of archers shoot into the Big'uns but only get one kill. Pegasi obviously break the wolves and overrun out of the table. So much for my re-directors biggrin.gif

Turn 2 - Greenskins

user posted image

I move my Chariot out of sight from the archers and hopefully into a nice charge position into the returning pegasi. Center moves a bit to the right, always behind the forest to prevent a charge from the Knights. Chariots move out to face the incoming knights and BO keep moving into the left. The mangler misses it's mark by an inch.

Magic phase kills two Knights with Foot of gork, AND sees the casting of the Shaman Buffing spell. I haven't really read into its' description but the GREAT thing about it was that I found out that it's a REMAINS IN PLAY spell ! My opponent made the mistake of forgetting about it the whole game so say hello to my ST8 (!!!) on the charge mega-monster-shaman ! DD kills a GK after they save a bunch of wounds (damn those high saves!). RL takes a rest this turn...

Turn 2 - Bretonnia

user posted image

Charge ! The General unit manages to catch the boar chariot AFTER the other Knight unit sacrifices itself charging through the Mangler and takes heavy casualties. The wolf chariot flees and only one unit of knights makes the charge. Pegasi return to the board and move too shortly (a huge mistake from my opponent IMHO); the men-at-arms get into the forest. Magic phase sees a casting of dwellers into the BO, but I dispell it with my scroll.

Shooting kills NGobbos and a couple of Big'uns, I really don't fear his shooting even though he's making FORTY shoots a turn ! The charge is devastating on the chariot and the Knights overrun into a favorable position to get the RL next turn...

Turn 3 - Greenskins

user posted image

Big'uns turn to face the flank/rear of the opponent's general unit. NGobbos fall prey to animosity but are out of range to do anything. Black orcs try to charge the GK but roll VERY poorly (a 2 and a 1); the fleeing wolf chariot fails to rally and leaves the board without doing anything. However, the wounded wolf chariot however, makes a successful charge into the Pegasi. Magic kills a GK with foot, and shooting sees both of my war machines miss their rolls. The wolf chariot heroically BREAK the Pegasi and kill them on the pursuit, it leaves the board afterwards... Go impact hits !

Turn 3 - Bretonnia

user posted image

The remaining GK (with the Lady) charge the BO; the General's knights charge the poor Lobba. The men-at-arms get further into the woods and the other unit of knights re-positions itself into the Big'uns. Nothing happens in the magic phase, and shooting kills quite a bit of NGobbos. As expected, the Lobba gets torn down by the general single handed and the unit overruns out of the board (another mistake from my opponent, as I thought he might want to restrain pursuit). The GK charge is devastating, killing FIVE black orcs and getting only a single wound in return ! Keep in mind that my guys hit the knights with TEN ST7 attacks, and even though we got a lot of wounds, those damn good armor and ward saves kept most of the knights alive. Steadfast saves my rear and the BO hold the charge.

Turn 4 - Greenskins

user posted image

NGobbos turn to face the newest threat after their animosity quells. I re-position my Big'uns into the remaining knight and men-at-arms units, as the opposing general has left the table. The wolf chariot returns into the table and I hope to survive another turn with the BO.

Magic phase sees the casting of the "Get'em" spell on the Big'uns in preparation for the incoming multi-charge. Shooting is good as the Diver kills three knights of the realm. Close combat is really good for the GK as they break my BO which lost their steadfast in the beating. The remaining standard bearer and the Lady overrun into the edge of the table.

Turn 4 - Bretonnia

user posted image

New charges from Bretonnia: the MAA and the lonely Knight. Also, the General's unit returns to the table. His position (into my right flank) has me extremely worried as I'm pretty sure I won't survive that incoming flank charge. Grail Knights re-position into the DD (getting out of range of the war machine).

Shooting kills yet another group of gobbos, but the unit holds. Dwellers below gets casted with IR but fails to kill the DD as it passes it's test (phew!); the lady takes a wound in return. And in the combat phase, the super-charged big'uns plus the now beastly shaman, easily kill and break the HUGE men-at-arms unit ! No steadfast for them means a HUGE change in the game as not even the re-roll from my opponent's BSB is enough to prevent the massacre and overrun from my almost unscathed Savage orc big'un unit !

Turn 5 - Greenskins

user posted image

Being my turn, the Big'un unit reforms to face the final threat of the game: the general and his retinue of knights of the realm ! Ngobbos swift reform again to help with the incoming combat. The wolf chariot fails to charge the remaining GK (damn!). Magic phase sees me casting the "Get'em" spell again (this time with IR), and both shooting and combat phases are unremarkable

Turn 5 - Bretonnia

user posted image

The moment of truth: The general's knights charge my Big'un unit ! GK charge the DD. Magic doesn't do a thing (another mistake of my opponent: he FORGETS to use his dice to dispel my shaman buffing spell), and shooting kills another couple of gobbos.

Combat sees the GK destroying the DD. Also: my general challenges the knights ! The general responds and faces his doom... my savage orc general is a combat beast (six attacks, ST6) that is re-rolling misses this turn, and it's not easily hit or wounded. I put a wound (damn those saves again) on the general and take nothing in return ! However, the remaining knights manage to put 3 wounds on the unit and I just inflict another two (of course, by the super-shaman). By means of the "virtue of duty" and the bonus for the charge, I lose the combat AND the steadfast bonus and check with a -2LD test... By the grace of Gork and Mork, I pass my break test and lose the frenzy in the process.

Turn 6 - Greenskins

user posted image

Counter charge from my NGobbos is successful. The wolf chariot makes an almost impossible charge (20 inches) and catches the GK. No magic goes through, and no further shooting is possible from my part.

Combat phase sees my chariot kill the remaining grail knight and his lady (yay!). The other important combat is fierce and bloody. The nets once again are SO MUCH worth the points, as the enfeebled knights are no match for the Big'uns and their lil' grot friends. Knights break from combat but I roll miserably for the pursuit rolls (auto kill both standard bearers though ;-)). Damn those lucky knights! they don't even leave the table in the process. Seems like it's going to be a close game...

Turn 6 - Bretonnia

user posted image

The knights and the general rally as expected and game ends.

----------

Great game ! I played as well as I could and didn't make mistakes to regret. Perhaps, as I have noted, I should have used the BO against the Knights of the Realm instead of the Grail Knights, but I think it was a matter of luck that he managed to pass so many saves in combat. My opponent, on the other hand, did make some very important mistakes in the game: not dispelling the buff on the shaman, not "holding" the pursuit and not moving fast enough into the battle.

Thanks for reading this far. Best regards !

This post has been edited by Lord_Viper on Dec 15 2011, 01:02 AM
jaysta
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 11:38 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,358

Nice report, and well done :-)

Cant help but wonder about this, in turn 2 greenskins:
'DD kills a GK after they save a bunch of wounds (damn those high saves!)'.

Doom diver ignores armour. Or did you mean some kind of ward?

Nicely done anyhow.
mickkk666
Posted: Dec 16 2011, 05:19 PM

Flying goblin

Member No.: 6,568

Nice report dude!

I have the same comments as jaysta when I was reading wink.gif.
Lord_Viper
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 12:40 AM

Warboss in training

Thanks for the comments.

QUOTE (jaysta @ Dec 15 2011, 11:38 PM)
Doom diver ignores armour. Or did you mean some kind of ward?

Yeah, I meant the Ward Save of the Lady. It's 5+ but my opponent made almost EVERY save. I remember he passed A LOT of armor saves many times, AND with the extra ward save he almost didn't lose units in many turns.

Take care guys
Snikpik
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 09:23 AM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

Cheers for the report, sounded like a frun battle. Your opponents half an inch short charge sounds iffy to me; very un-chivalrous and un-Bretonnian Noble like, no wait, its maybe just what they'd be like! smile.gif I personaly would have made better use of the idol of gork in your battle plan.
Lord_Viper
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 12:18 PM

Warboss in training

QUOTE (Snikpik @ Dec 18 2011, 09:23 AM)
Your opponents half an inch short charge sounds iffy to me; very un-chivalrous and un-Bretonnian Noble like, no wait, its maybe just what they'd be like! smile.gif I personaly would have made better use of the idol of gork in your battle plan.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I remember thinking "da boyz are being more chivalrous than this bret guy", but it was all in the spirit of not arguing with him during this game laugh.gif

I ALWAYS use the idol as part of the strategy. This time however, my opponent picked the idol's side and I was too far away to take it into account. The sinister statue in the middle did cause a couple of gobbo casualties now that I remember smile.gif

Thanks for reading the report and for your comments Snikpik
« Next Oldest | Wot Weez Wrote | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0873 seconds | Archive