Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

A Metal Revival - Old School O&g, Squig herd complete
AcuteApathy
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 11:48 AM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,534

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far guys. I haven't had much time for hobby-related stuff over the past week or so due to work. The wife also started a new job and she's having a torrid time of it (why is it that women insist on ostracizing those they consider a threat?) so I've been spending most of my free time with her. All I've therefore managed to complete is what I managed to capture in the quick snap you'll see below.

@Wazoo: Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried freehanding the shields but I just could not get the final product to (a) look quite like I wanted it to and (b ) be consistent across all those shields. I know a bit of inconsistency is good for a ragged army like O&G but it just looked poor, given my limited skills.

I will still be making the banner a bit more ragged though, just haven't had the time.

All that I've done since the last post is to finish the shields (they're shields from the old goblin spearmen with the design already in place), did some work on the bases and did up 5 more rank-and-file. The latter look exactly like the two in the front on either side (except that their shields are bare) so I haven't bothered pulling them out for a separate pic.

10 more to go for the unit! (I'd like to push to 40 eventually, but I only own 20 at present).

user posted image

This post has been edited by AcuteApathy on Apr 21 2012, 11:58 AM
Thitanium Prince
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 12:11 PM

Capo Muso Duro

Member No.: 5,560

Awesome unit! I really like the skin tone and the motifs on the shields wink.gif
DaShee
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 12:14 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 6,798

Wow - really loving that unit! makes me wanna get mine out n paint! biggrin.gif
Morten C
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 03:44 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

what a great looking mob smile.gif Always loved those old Big 'Uns. your fine paintjob suits them well smile.gif
azhagmorglum
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 04:59 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 384

I myself owns 18 of those old metal big uns models (of which 2 are the boss model), and they were painted more than 10 years ago. Oddly enough I used the same banner as you did for the unit (here is a link to the unit not to pollute your log : http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/a...m/S7300010.jpg)

I really like them (as models I mean) and generally speaking I'm liking more and more old models that in the past I didn't like because I would find them too goofy. I'm therefore very interested in your log and I hope to see more ancient models painted.
Your new paint scheme on those big uns is great, keep up the good work.

This post has been edited by azhagmorglum on Apr 22 2012, 05:01 PM
AcuteApathy
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:49 PM

Goblin

My mob looks a little embarrassing next to yours, AzhagMorglum. Stunning paintjob on those boyz and love that paintjob on your banner.

I agree on the old minis. They just have so much character compared to the new sculpts.

I have a complete army of the old metals now (apart from the night goblins) and about 6k in points of the newer stuff so I'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. biggrin.gif

And thanks for all the kind words guys. I have the next set of 5 boys in front of me on the table as I type this so hopefully I can get a little bit of painting done over the next hour or two before I have to hit the sack. Early day at work tomorrow. sad.gif

This post has been edited by AcuteApathy on Apr 22 2012, 06:50 PM
AcuteApathy
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 08:39 AM

Goblin

I managed to finish up the unit of big 'uns this morning*. I rushed the last few a little towards the end though as I've been wanting to move onto something new but hate leaving units unfinished.

* Technically, I should paint in the eyes and also do some icons on the blank shields but I've had enough of them for a while. wink.gif

user posted image

user posted image

I've also started work on a marauder giant so have a WIP pic. smile.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by AcuteApathy on Apr 28 2012, 08:41 AM
Thitanium Prince
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 09:54 AM

Capo Muso Duro

The complete unit looks absolutely great, the scheme is striking. Nice start on the best giant ever tongue.gif (IMO), looks a lot like the box art biggrin.gif
Wazoo
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 05:38 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 5,687

Nice, I really like the big uns' but I would really like to see them with finished shields! Also the giant is looking good, and yes it does look like the old box art, nice and slightly sentimental!

Wazoo
Red Skullz
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 06:05 PM

Officially a bad influence!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 857

Those Big Łns are among my all-time fav orc sculpts and you`ve done them justice!

R

This post has been edited by Red Skullz on Apr 30 2012, 06:05 PM
AcuteApathy
Posted: May 2 2012, 08:15 PM

Goblin

Thanks all!

Had some time this evening and I decided to do some work on my Savage Orcs. These are the most recent metals although I have a bunch of the smaller (funny-looking) 5th ed metals to intersperse with the rest of the unit.

Here's a WIP of the first 5, including command. The one on the right was the test model.

user posted image

This post has been edited by AcuteApathy on May 2 2012, 08:16 PM
Red Skullz
Posted: May 2 2012, 09:24 PM

Officially a bad influence!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 857

The blue came out great there, looking forward to more yarr.gif

R
Thitanium Prince
Posted: May 2 2012, 09:30 PM

Capo Muso Duro

I agree, you've done a great work on the blue war paints ^^ plus I love savages, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the unit (and obviously the 5th edition savages, they're sooo characterful biggrin.gif)
AcuteApathy
Posted: Jul 5 2012, 06:06 PM

Goblin

I've been feeling a little guilty at the lack of blog updates lately but between work and the wife and I moving into our new place time has been at a bit of a premium.

Things have slowed down a little now though so I've had a chance to slap some paint on a squig herd - 30 squigs and 10 herders. My camera-fu is a bit wobbly as usual but these will have to do for now.

user posted image

user posted image

I probably need to do another highlight or two on the squigs to make the red "pop" more but most of the army will have a dirty feel to them so I'll leave them as is for now (and I really can't be arsed).

Next up will be the unit of savage orcs. I got a bit of a fright when I unpacked everything and realised just how many minis/armies are waiting for attention so I'll be aiming to work diligently whenever I have a free moment over the next few months in the hopes of making even a slight dent.

More to follow soon!
Paiant Slapah
Posted: Jul 6 2012, 12:50 AM

Big Boss

Member No.: 4,721

I demand better pictures! You do some fine work and these pictures ain't showing it.
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1047 seconds | Archive