InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Happy Halloween! Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

What Is That Gotta Have Unit Against Tomb Kings, getting ready for a league game
lambobolt
Posted: Jul 30 2011, 11:09 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,075

So Iím playing 2250pts against tomb kings this coming week, and I havenít played greenskins in a couple months. So I almost feel like Iím starting over. so figured I would ask what everyone thinks are those gotta have units against tomb kings.

most likely he will play one or two skull chucker catapults, a casket of souls, a war sphinx, at least one unit of 3 necrosphinx, usually 2 units of 20 archers, one unit of chariots, a high liche priest and a 2nd liche priest, a tomb king that goes in a large block of skellies with hand weapon and shields. But this is sort of his normal setup, donít know if he will change it up knowing he is playing my greenskins.

Here is what Iíve got for a list to start with.
Characters:
I seem to do well with magic, so going with a level 4 night gobbo shaman with trickster shard (just to deter him from dispelling), and a level 3 orc shaman. This gives me lots of spell choices to use for situational need, and for cheap casters. Throw in an orc warboss with armor of destiny and sword of might as general. Finally, and orc big boss BSB with razor standard.

Core choices:
37 orc big uns with full command and extra hand weapon. This is the cornerstone block, the general, BSB and orc shaman can go in here, and the razor standard helps ensure they dish out a ton of attacks that hopefully leave little or no armor save for the tomb kings troops. My plan is for this unit to engage his horde of skellies. Although he doesnít break, I should be able to quickly get ahead in combat resolution and pound through the unit in a couple rounds of combat, assuming I can keep him from rebuilding.
2 blocks of 20 night gobbo archers, with command in one and 3 fanatics in both. These will deploy next to the biguns, with the intent of being 10 wide and 2 deep. The idea is to use the fanatics to protect themselves, as well as the biguns. Running one unit behind the other allows me to throw out 6 fanatics if needed (I can move the second block up close so they both are within 8 of something that comes in charge distance)

Special
23 squigs and 8 herders. This is my other combat unit, to go on the right of the biguns most likely (assuming terrain and scenario).
2 spear chukkas. Only purpose is to try and take down the warsphinx and other big things.
Wolf chariot. Designed to go after the casket and catapults
Mangler squig. One of my last deployments, to go after the necropolis knights or launch into his battleline.
Doom diver. To go after whatever specific target I need to hit. Casket, or elite small units he might bring, or even to take out some chariots
Rock lobber. To thin out the big unit, either skellies or tomb guard, whichever he brings
Arachnarok spider. Might not be the best choice, but he does match up decent against the warsphinx, or to go into the main battleline. I just need to worry about the casket of souls until I can take it out.

So that is the rough idea. Any flaws or weaknesses I need to cover?
Thanks in advance for the help

Svarten
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 12:40 AM

Orc
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,147

Maybe you could use a cheaply equiped Goblin Warboss on Giant Wolf, to take out the Casket of Souls? And after that, he could go and pick of the catapults biggrin.gif

//Svarten
VenomX51
Posted: Dec 24 2012, 07:53 AM

Snotling
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,146

Tombs kings tend not to have very good armour saves anyway, the Razor Standard seems a bit wasted. Why not take the Flaming banner? Against an army with some flammable units, seems like a no-brainer to me.

It might be worth taking some wolf riders, you can send them in quick and deep to tie up those SSC's and the casket.
« Next Oldest | Army Specific Tactics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0732 seconds | Archive