Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Captn Morgrim's Not-so-green Greenskins, SpiderTribe Minions (big update)
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 10:47 PM

Dwarven Archpirate

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,159

Ahoy there!

Methinks before proper introductions, ya greenish gits deserve a token of goodwill from this old Dwarven Pirate here.

Alas, me green buckos, ye been warned! What follows will not be to many people's liking, especially those what think that Orcs should only be green of colour.

'Tis an assembly of me Savage Orcs, which will form part of the Orc Army I'm building with me classic minis of 4th edition. Me initial intention was to do an army of 3 distinct tribes with this one being the Savage part of it. Its main rule flavour is immunity to psychology, except for them trolls and spider riders!

Looking back at these minis, I once decided that I needed some "Native" looking foes fer me Pirates t' fight against, as some of me mates prefer t' game with me armies instead of bringing their own. And since Lizards aren't that savage enough, the Orcs once get the job of bein' everyman's favourite villains (apart from Pirates of course!). But recently, I 've been thinking of coming up with some other background for these wonderful orcs.

The purple skin colour was originally me lady's idea who painted 10 Savage Orc Arrers fer me years ago. After ye 've seen those, ye 'll agree that the rest still needs some work. I hope t' press me lady into service t' do more warpaint.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And this fellow is the Shaman who's supposed t' stand out of the crowd there...
(mind ye, me lady wasn't all too happy with how 'e turned out)

user posted image

This is the first mob I painted meselves, 15 Savage Big Ones made from old dismounted Boar Boyz and olde plastic Black Orcs which bear a striking likeness to Blizzard'S Warcraft Orc Grunts...

user posted image

user posted image

Ere comes the Boss! Ardskulaz the Obese, Lionflayer, mounted on the Legendary Tigerboar

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Boarboyz

user posted image

user posted image

Swamp Trolls (a different breed of Rivertrolls...)

user posted image

user posted image

As ye can plainly see, these Orcs need more strength in numbers. 'ere 's what I 've planned fer 'em.

- Squig Substitute: My first work after returning from an exile that lasted the entire 7th edition (an edition I was not really content with). So, I build an unit of spiders and their forest goblin herders from Skull Pass content and old WH Quest spiders, using Squig Herders rules.
Unit: done! (except for bases)
Unit filler: done! (except for bases)
Pics: I knew I forgot something!

- I need at least 5 more Big'Uns to round the no up to 20. Also, an unit filler has been planned too.
Unit: 1 done (musician), 4 to go
Unit filler: needs GS"

- Even if cavalry ain't as game dominating as it was before, methinks 4 more boars boyz for a full unit of 10 should be in order.
Unit: Well, the boars are there.
Unit Filler: in the works, too.

- 25 Temple Guardian Orcs: Orcs of unusually massive size that guard a temple. I use Black Orc rules for them. They 're based on the now most likely defunct line of Zvedza Orcs, from which I got a sizable number due to a friend working for the company for a while.
Unit status: 25 primed this afternoon.

- 1 more Swamp Troll for a nice 2 x 2 unit which recently stomped a Treeman. I converted the Skull Pass troll for that.
Unit: Gs done, might need a few more touch ups!

- 18 Black Tree Savage Orc Archers are waiting in a drawer somewhere too. I dunno how to imcorporate them, but a sizable archer unit sounds fun and tempting.

Cheers!

Captn Morgrim.

This post has been edited by Captn Morgrim on Oct 15 2011, 10:44 PM
leopard
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 11:11 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 5,913

Its certainly "different", but have to say I actually like it, specially the boars
Da Git
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 12:28 AM

Orc

Member No.: 6,067

Psychedelic!

I'm not really a fan of non-green greenskins, but I really like the Swamp Trolls. The war painted boars look good as well.
Snakebellywagonrut
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 02:47 AM

Lower then a...

Member No.: 4,292

Welcome to Da Warpath, you are a breath of fresh air! yarr.gif
BorkBork
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 09:14 AM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

indeed not so green

Am always surprised how orcy orcs looks in different collors...especially purples and pinks (there is a pink chaos orc army somewhere on here).

The savys look excellent with the white warpaint. But the shoulders and hand of the musician look like bare metal. Is he still WIP?

and i really like the greyblue boar with the tigerstripes.

love to see more

btw: did BTD actually really delivered those models?

This post has been edited by BorkBork on Mar 13 2011, 09:31 AM
theorox
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 09:21 AM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

DEY'RE PERPALH! laugh.gif Some cool minis there, and very interesting choice of colours. I bet it really works on the tabletop! biggrin.gif

Theo
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 08:17 PM

Dwarven Archpirate

The savys look excellent with the white warpaint. But the shoulders and hand of the musician look like bare metal. Is he still WIP?

No that was intentional. Me Lady painted them about 10 years ago.

btw: did BTD actually really delivered those models?

Actually, I got 'em in a box that still said Harlequin Miniatures, bought 'em when a local game store closed down. They came out shortly before GW redesigned their Orc Range into what we gets today (Mind ye, me old Orcs look like wimps compared to the new plastic sets). So I never had the misfortune t' order from BTD but I know what me fella Dwarf players experienced.

EDIT: Those Goblins went into their thread, probably scared orfff by 'em big mean purple buggers!

This post has been edited by Captn Morgrim on Jun 17 2011, 07:20 AM
Grom guttrippa
Posted: Mar 14 2011, 10:16 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 2,708

Im usually not a fan of other-colored orcs, but the one color i feel works is purple.
BorkBork
Posted: Mar 14 2011, 10:52 AM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

ha, great job on the wolfboss.
love the moustace. (although you almost turned him into a dwarf Vomit.gif ) wink.gif

had some bad experience with BTD myself. Got half my order after 8 months or so, gave up on the rest. Problem is that a phonecall to the UK is probably more expensive then the missing parts. Models are indeed tiny compared to GW, but i like them.

This post has been edited by BorkBork on Mar 14 2011, 10:52 AM
Tokamak
Posted: Mar 14 2011, 11:23 AM

Victim of da 'orny boar crusade

Member No.: 1,028

Interesting but I think it could be executed better. Those orcs scream for just one more highlight.
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Mar 14 2011, 08:15 PM

Dwarven Archpirate

When I painted the 2nd patch of Savages, the Boarboyz and the Big Uns, I used just some simple drybrushing for the furs and skin. Indeed, I probably need to add a few more colours.
Also, I 'm considering to prime me Savages white in the future and use a slightly thinned down liche purple to save me the trouble of drybrushing.

PS: Remind me to upload a picture of the completed Gobbo Hero, if I haven't done by the end of the week. I painted him up ages ago, so I better share that.

This post has been edited by Captn Morgrim on Mar 14 2011, 08:16 PM
Kera Foehunter
Posted: Mar 14 2011, 08:47 PM

Pirate Queen
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,275

What can i say but !! i so love Barney the Dinosaur now he has a orc an army too??
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 09:28 AM

Dwarven Archpirate

Well, well, there'll be more of the Orcs above in the near future, but fer now, I 'm happy t' present ye a rare, if a bit rough gem:

Zvezda Orcs (OOP as far as I know) converted into Savage Black Orc!

Some bits are from recent 6th ed Orc sets, and a few Orc heads are even from the very old Fantasy Warriors Boxed sets (those white plastic sprues containing a Skaven, Goblin, Orc, Dark Elf, Dwarf and Wood Elf each!)

user posted image

A review of sorts (somewhat obsolete with Zvedza Orcs being OOP):

Assembling Zvedza Orcs was easy, it took me 2 hours for a whole set of 20 massive Orcs, including going over me bits box again and again for interesting extras. One thing that really surprised me about the box was that each seemed to contain a large set of bits, but there were little extra options. E.g. each sprue yielded 1 Orcs with a spear, 1 with spear or handweapon and shield, 1 archer and 1 with 2 weapons or a shield, and, worse, contained only 4 heads. The basic infantry heads were a bit of a letdown, because of the lack of variety and their size (being smaller than GW orcs), but I find are very characterful, even if a bit unorcy compared to GW's style. Still, methinks they 'd make great Half-Orcs and Hobgoblins in D&D Games, which I intend to do. One good thing about those sprues are the little extras: There were feathers, shield buckles, bone-handled daggers, belts and so on, which are a true gem for a converto-maniac like this old Pirate 'ere.
Luckily, the command set and the Bull rider sprue contained more options, so I could swap heads around. Then again, a design shift seems to have occured right in the middle of Zvedza's Orc design as their legendary Bull Riders and later Orcs have larger and more orge-like heads than the Orc Infantry. Not only that 's fine by me, as these bits will find use amongst my Ogre Crews, but they are also very characterful and well-cast, with lots of details. Not exactly fitting the GW Orcs' look - at least not those of 5th edition onwards, but they work with the bits I got leftover from buying a mate's Fantasy Warriors' Orcs.

The bodies are well muscled and were fast, easy and fun to paint, but a bit hard to rank up. Zvedza solved this problem with Orcs using a skirmish formation in their own game, Ring of Rule, but converting them into a ranked unit was, well, interesting. They are also nice as their dress is very barbaric, so they fit both into a standard Orc list (with some head swaps) or a Savage Orc list. All in all, they make great Big 'Uns, if one uses leftover GW bits. They might even dwarf GW's current Black Orcs, but I have none to compare them with.

In this Savage Orc tribe I 'm building, they will form an enigmatic mob of large, dour and surprisingly calm Orcs who march into battle alongside the freakish purple maniacs.

Cheers

Captn M.

This post has been edited by Captn Morgrim on Jun 24 2011, 09:06 AM
Captn Morgrim
Posted: Oct 3 2011, 08:53 PM

Dwarven Archpirate

So, an update is long overdue, as this horde grew and grew, by the addition of 3 Spiders, 2 Herders and 5 Spiderriders in the last few months, some small but vital improvements to my units here.

I 'll take new pictures of the completed mobs and post 'em one by one here. As a show of good will, I 'll even display my BSB here, which is still WIP, awaiting a few layers of paint:

user posted image

The story behind the miniature is a simple one. Groznit Goregut sent it to me across the pond in exchange for a few shields of classic design and some Zvezda Aurochs I added as a freeby. As I was in need of a BSB at the time and ran out of good ideas to convert a Savage Orc one, I simply put that extra BfSP SpiderStandard to work.
Fun fact: I never seem to have the points to run it as a Spiderbanner als intended, but I 'm entertaining the idea that the trophy rack will become a work-in-progress, getting pieces added as my army progresses in battles.
Snikpik
Posted: Oct 3 2011, 08:57 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

Dats one big ol' banner. Now paint it up good an' proper!
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1063 seconds | Archive