Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (9) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Revisiting My Orcs, Very small update August 27th 2013
Thitanium Prince
Posted: Dec 30 2011, 05:24 PM

Capo Muso Duro

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,560

ohmy.gif absolutely great, you have a lot of ideas, and that unit is one of the nicest orc boyz regiment I've seen recently ^^
EntertainMe
Posted: Dec 30 2011, 06:00 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 2,893

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

and for some answers:
QUOTE (Craze_b0i @ Dec 29 2011, 10:19 PM)
Nice big display shelf you got there, what type of cabinet is that?

It's just a generic type of display cabinet. Glass shelves and a mirror in the back (which is why it looks that big).
In reality it's about 45cm / 17"

QUOTE (Morkmillian @ Dec 29 2011, 10:22 PM)
just chainmail scattered over the unit smile.gif

Chainmail is a B#&* to sculpt. but it looks good though.

I have a few models with chainmail. But since is absolutely horrid to sculpt I haven't done to much of it.

Anyway, hopefully I get the remaining ones done soon and then it's on to painting.

Grtz
-EM-
EntertainMe
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 09:14 PM

Big Boss

Well, my Orcs haven't advanced as much as I'd hoped. This partly due to no time and partly due to the fact that owning a house never ceases to take up time sad.gif
Ah well, the garden is spring-ready now and any ray of sunshine can be optimally made use off biggrin.gif

Anyway, since I didn't do squat for my Orcs I did do something on my Giant.
Namely finish him:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
BTW, I only noticed the rim of the base on the photo. Obviously this will be taken care of

And to show you I haven't totally forgotten the Orcs a small preview:
user posted image
Will be updated when I finally get my new paints from maelstrom

Grtz
-EM-
Thitanium Prince
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 09:19 PM

Capo Muso Duro

Member No.: 5,560

The giant is great ^^ One of your best pieces in this plog biggrin.gif and it reminds me that I have the same giant wip since 3 years :S
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 10:21 AM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Wow! I haven't checked this blog in some time. I wish I had as I had forgotten your 6th Ed starter orcs. They are GREAT! I would've been happy to steel many of these ideas for when I did mine last year! The archers with the shields and weapons pointing forward are great. The orc leaping forward is nothing short of brilliant!

I'm also excited about your greenstuff skill. I like the state troopers being used as shields, but don't think I could pull it off. I'm not that good with re-positioning limbs or sculpting hands. I think those are really cool, though. I also love all the little stuff you did. The face mask for the helmet with the horns? Love it.

Your giant is really cool, too. The stubble? I'm not even sure how you did that. Small brush just pin point with black? The skin is amazing, too. Much better than I can do. I've not a lot of practice with human flesh. I've got the same model, too. One thing, though. It's very little. Why not do a little more with the scale bracelet? That part just looks a little plain. It's a little thing and a little piece, but everything else you have done is amazing.
EntertainMe
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 03:25 PM

Big Boss

QUOTE (Thitanium Prince @ Mar 12 2012, 11:19 PM)
it reminds me that I have the same giant wip since 3 years :S

So did I, that's why I decided to finally finish it.

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Mar 13 2012, 12:21 PM)
The stubble?  I'm not even sure how you did that.

the stubble is simply sculpted on the mini.
So all I had to do was NOT paint the recesses of the model.

Some people also do a blue-ish glaze over it for a real unshaven look, but I didn't think the giant would shave daily, so I opted not to do this (also: not taking the chance of perhaps ruining it biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Mar 13 2012, 12:21 PM)
Why not do a little more with the scale bracelet?  That part just looks a little plain. 

I've had more comments on this piece. I really just painted it dark angel green and slopped on some wash (devlan most likely).
I need to do some more details here for sure.

Thanks for the comments everyone
-EM-
Morten C
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 04:00 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

erhm.... giant = pretty darn awesome yarr.gif yarr.gif

Beautifully painted! smile.gif
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 06:10 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

The giant looks great, The orcs look promising to.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
G
Craze_b0i
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 07:16 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

That giant is totally awesome. smile.gif
Mostyn
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 10:19 PM

Da open minded git

Member No.: 4,159

I do like the gaming irony that the best use of the first rays of spring sunshine is to stay indoors and paint. I heartily agree of course.

Giant looks flippin' awesome. Large expanses (like his skin) are tricky to get right as people (myself included) tend to over-highlight them. You've definitely nailed the giant though and, dare I say it, big stuff seems to suit your painting style really well.

Looking forward to seeing the orcs finished.
azhagmorglum
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 11:55 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 384

Nice update !! I really like the giant, you painted the skin very well and the rest is great as well (details and base)

The converted orcs are cool, I'd like to see more of them. I'll certainly steal some of your ideas when I build more orcs for my army.
EntertainMe
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 10:45 AM

Big Boss

QUOTE (Mostyn @ Mar 14 2012, 12:19 AM)
I do like the gaming irony that the best use of the first rays of spring sunshine is to stay indoors and paint.

Off course, after all the friggin cold we can finally go into the shed and basecoat some stuff again without the paint freezing the moment it comes out of the spray can biggrin.gif

QUOTE (azhagmorglum @ Mar 14 2012, 01:55 AM)
The converted orcs are cool, I'd like to see more of them.

once I get the paints (ordering tonight probably) I'll get to painting them again.

As for now I'm doing some odds and ends for various war machines (updates to follow).

QUOTE (azhagmorglum @ Mar 14 2012, 01:55 AM)
I'll certainly steal some of your ideas when I build more orcs for my army.

Be my guest! The best complement in this hobby is that people want to nick your ideas, so thanks for that yarr.gif

Grtz
-EM-
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 02:05 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,381

Have you thought about using liquid gesso? That's the primer that goes on canvases. I use a black liquid primer. I use it indoors and with a crap paint brush. If you don't lather it on too thick, it can be much thinner than what spray paint gives and leaves a lot of detail. Gesso is a standard paint product that can be found at any art store for not too much at all!
Morten C
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 04:00 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Mar 14 2012, 02:05 PM)
Have you thought about using liquid gesso? That's the primer that goes on canvases. I use a black liquid primer. I use it indoors and with a crap paint brush. If you don't lather it on too thick, it can be much thinner than what spray paint gives and leaves a lot of detail. Gesso is a standard paint product that can be found at any art store for not too much at all!

+1

Ones you go gesso, you never go spray-O! yarr.gif
EntertainMe
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 04:11 PM

Big Boss

this might be interesting.

But usually I make sure all my models are spray painted before the winter sets in.
Although this year I didn't fniish my orcs in time (and apparently I don't have the right paint anyway sad.gif )

But I'll look into it.
If the sell under the same name here (the netherlands).

Grtz
-EM-
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (9) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1029 seconds | Archive