InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Guide To Fighting Warriors Of Chaos (8th Ed.), Post your anti-Chaos tips and strategy!
Airtruck
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 08:41 PM

The Ratty One
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 694

Got tips and strategies that work well against the Warriors of Chaos? Share them here with other warlords! Since the release of the new 8th edition, the game has changed a great deal and new tactics must be developed and discussed in order for da greenskins to crump ‘em good!
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Oct 19 2010, 08:39 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,381

Wow! I was really hoping for some advice here....

I've played a game or two and it was pretty rough. Chaos Warriors are quite mean. Oh, I won some combats and even ran some units down, but it was hard. Holding out and then flanking really does work.

War Shrines are tough! I'm trying to figure out how to beat them. I've got a giant in my latest list and my rock lobbas will help. Beyond that, I'm not sure....
Goreaxe Skullcrusher
Posted: Apr 20 2011, 09:17 PM

warlord of da grand armie

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,240

against warriors of chaos its important to have a lot of cavalry and hard hitters like trolls, giant and the arachnaroch. there isnt any o&g unit than can take chaos warriors head on so the best approach against them is hammer and anvil. since you'll pretty much always outrank them they wont be steadfast and if they're flanked by something like boar boyz, trolls are a monster they probaly wont be able to hold. and you should always take a lobber or 2 to deal with warshrines, giants, dragon ogre shaggoths and the like.
Burt
Posted: Apr 23 2011, 02:52 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,993

Doom Divers into the knights, Rock Lobbers into the big nasties like Daemon Prince.

NG with max amount of Fanatics to thin them out on their way to masacre you.

Chariots into anything else and kill whover has the effing spell infernal gateway, it's nasty.

Waiting to take on an experience WOC player as I have been lucky to face inexperienced players so far.
Colonel
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 06:24 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,724

Fanatics hurt Warriors of Chaos (WoC) pretty good. I like to put my night goblins with fanatics behind a unit that can take a hit such the the front of the anvil unit is 6-7" from the fanatics. This works well with 6-8 trolls.

Im not a fan of giants vs WoC because the warriors often can throw a TON of S5 attacks at it with halberds and Mark of Khorne.

I usually break warriors by feeding them a block of orcs that will be steadfast, then tossing in night gobs with nets in their flank. the -1 Strength makes it hard for them to hurt orcs and the combat res is massive. An arachnarok in the flanks will also hurt WoC but not frontal.
Colonel
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 06:30 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,724

Groznit, you mention warshrines.. they have a 4+ or 3+ ward and good toughness.. hard to bust through with a rocklobba but it happens. They are not unbreakable though, and dont put out a ton of attacks, so they brak to combat res.
Dont expect to hurt one in combat.. but night gobs with nets shouldnt take a lot of wounds, so if you get the charge and hopefully a flank and ranks you break it.
Lockinvar
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 07:16 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 6,144

regarding warshrines, they are usually around to buff chaos chosen, and chosen will generally fudge up anything they touch in combat so unless you combo charge I would say run away and shoot them with stuff and wait for the numbers to go in your favour.
Against chaos warriors If its a big unit with a lot of ranks, shoot it use fanatics and if they are frenzied use wolf riders or spider riders and run them around the board all game. Also be careful what you engage them with because if you combo charge them with something and that something is weak then you are just giving them free combat res.
Other than that just watch out for an ASF giant they tend to take you by suprise tongue.gif
Skarsnik, the lord
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 08:04 PM

Myrrysmies

Member No.: 5,737

Here's some thoughts about fighting Warriors of Chaos...

The big unit of Chosens is almost impossible to destroy if they get the 3+ ward save from the Eye of Gods (they are Chosens of Tzeentch of course). There's their basic roll, two Warshrines and the stupidly cheap item which allows to modify the roll result.

When the unit gets the ward save, it's too difficult to kill by anything... Trolls won't go there because of the flaming banner (burning halberds look scary) and Squigs will get destroyed because of their "low" initiative (Chosens and Warriors had I5 if I remember correctly). That's why the unit must be weakened before they get the ward save! Dom Divers and Rock Lobbers are good for shooting the unit, and even some short bows can do some damage if you're lucky (and/or have the poison spell on rolleyes.gif ).

Chariots are the other thing which are going to do some serious damage against Chosens... I have 5 Wolf Chariots and I'm planning to crash them into the Chosens before they get the ward save. Yup, the Chariots are going to be destroyed, but D6+1 Str5 impact hits are nothing to sneeze at, especially when you have three of them in the same combat! The main idea is to weaken the unit to be sure it won't be a problem anymore. I won't shoot the Warshrines unless I have nothing else to shoot at, as the 3+ ward save is too hard to crack.

I won't take Fanatics against Warriors of Chaos at all... Every self-respecting Chaos player has some Chaos Hounds and/or Marauder Horsemen to get the Fanatics away from the units. Yeah, the baiting unit might get destroyed but it always isn't worth of it.

If you face any Knights, just Doom Diver them to death. Simple as that.

Warriors are the ones which can be destroyed by strong units of our army... Trolls are great, Squigs are okay, Arachnarok and Chariots... Well, maybe on the flank. Flanking Arachnarok with Sneaky Stabbin' could do wonders. biggrin.gif

As always, remember to use the big Night Goblin buses as anvils and the powerful things as hammers.

Keep your characters away from combat unless they are some very well-equipped Orcs. Goblins are butchered mercilessly when they get in combat, so keep the characters away from the combat, possibly in archers. Take the MR3 item for some character to get 4+ ward save against sniping spells for all characters in your bunker. And remember to take Banner of Disciple, Doom Totem and Hell Cannon possibly accompanied by Doom & Darkness -spell can easily ruin your day, especially if you use Goblins like I do.

Finally, don't cast your spells with too many dice... Miscasts are horrible because every Chaos player has the Infernal Puppet (if not, the Great Unclean One will eat the player ohmy.gif wink.gif ) which means miscasts will likely make your Shaman going boom.

That's some tips which first came to my mind, possibly some day I'll add some more things.

- Cheers, Skarsnik. biggrin.gif
GORMAKKA
Posted: Jul 8 2011, 04:14 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 5,416

Hi guys.
I agree with what's been said so far.
A regular opponent has just got his hands on a large WOC army and is trying-out combinations against me.

Chariot units: 2000 pts, I take two units of 3 cheap chariots. Putting these evenly around your centre means you can charge almost anywhere. Pick out the light units like marauders or hounds. You will smash and overrun, punching through their lines. Then go warmachine hunting or turn back to add supporting charges in the rear of the hard unit being held up by steadfast orcs/ gobbos.

Fanatics: Using the chariots this way has the added benefit of meanign your fanatics will be triggered by something worth their pts, like warriors.

Doom Divers: I agree these are the best way to take out knights. Take as many as you can.

Doom Cannons: Don't charge these with your chariots. The crew die instantly but then you have to fight the cannon and will hold you up for the rest of the game.

Trolls: The basic troll is now just 35 pts. Put a units of 6 next to your general's unit. Chaos Knights a sheet-scared of their Vomit attack...and if they're not then the trolls will correct their-error smile.gif

A final note, kill their sorceror asap. Their magic is truly horrible.

---GORMAKKA DA ROUND---
Cryonicleech
Posted: Oct 19 2011, 02:54 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 4,664

This is, without a doubt, one of the toughest matchups and O&G player will face. However, I believe that with proper assessment and 'proppa kunnin and Orc and Goblin player can still snatch victory and force his opponent to wolf down a slice of humble pie.

Your main opponent is, of course, the armor save. a 3+ save Chaos Warrior is scary, and WS 5 with 2-3 attacks without additional hand weapons is not a fun prospect. However, what you have is, again, a lot of mid-strengths attacks that can cause some decent dents in the WoC army that your Boyz can properly deal with.

The big 3 threats from Chaos are

1. Chosen
2. The Marauder Horde
3. The Tzeentch Wizard

I took out Chaos Knights because Doom Divers are essential to their demise, and you'll always want an Orc Warboss nearby to dish-out the high strength hits. Spear Chukkas are also great here, and killing about 1-2 Knights per shooting phase is hardly something to complain about. Plus, a unit of 6 Trolls can eat Chaos Knights for breakfast, (or in this case, vomit on them... for... breakfast... I don't know where I'm going with this)

First and foremost, are the Chosen. On their own, in a unit of 20 or lower, they're not too scary. Warriors of Chaos with +1 Weapon Skill is acceptable. Where they get scary is the Tzeentch 3+ Ward Save Deathstar. Now I can't say much about deathstars, as I personally have little experience with them. My best advice? Force saves. 4+/3++ saves are monstrous, but just like 40k's Space Marines, forcing saves can cause wounds. However, it is inadvisable to just feed a deathstar units, and completely ignoring it is another huge factor. Your opponent's deathstar can't win if it's not in combat.

The 40 man Marauder Horde, armed with either Great Weapons or Flails, is guilty of being so cheap for what it does. The amount of damage it puts out can be insane, and unless your opponent doesn't like marauders you're sure to see at least 1 unit at your FLGS. My best piece of advice? Again, with most infantry blocks, throw some Roks their direction and they become less and less scary. Savage Orcs or any unit with 2 HW's can easily mop up a unit of 25 or lower.

Finally, you have the wizards. Specifically, the flying ones. With Infernal Gateway and Pandaemonium, you might be looking at a potential loss. Your best bet is to shoot 'em with Chukkas or rely on 'Eadbutt, which isn't really a great idea. Generally, Tzeentch Wizards like to flank, so maybe having a response unit in the backfield can help.

All in all, Warriors of Chaos don't have to be scary, you just have to whittle 'em down before you get to da fightin' proppa. Fanatics, Doom Divers, Trolls and Black Orcs are your friends, as well as Spear Chukkas and the mandatory Rok Lobba. Just don't charge head on and you're sure to have victory.
Lord_Viper
Posted: Nov 1 2011, 04:18 PM

Warboss in training

Member No.: 5,335

Hi guys,

I'm about to face a experienced WoC player in our community. We're in the middle of a League Tournament and he's my last opponent on the first "phase" of the league.

I don't know much about his army but I know one thing for a fact: He'll be using TWO chaos cannons ! They have been the bane of all his previous opponents so I'm worried

I have a fixed tournament list so there's not really much I can do in the troop selection department. I have Savage Big'uns, Black Orcs, NGobbos (40), wolf riders, a RL, a DD, a couple of chariots and a mangler squig.

What to do against such list ? He'll probably also have a couple of knight units and *maybe* a block of warriors or marauders. All your help is really appreciated guys.

I'll be reading your thoughts smile.gif Thanks !
Bolo
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 02:40 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 6,679

QUOTE (Lord_Viper @ Nov 1 2011, 04:18 PM)
Hi guys,

I'm about to face a experienced WoC player in our community. We're in the middle of a League Tournament and he's my last opponent on the first "phase" of the league.

I don't know much about his army but I know one thing for a fact: He'll be using TWO chaos cannons ! They have been the bane of all his previous opponents so I'm worried

I have a fixed tournament list so there's not really much I can do in the troop selection department. I have Savage Big'uns, Black Orcs, NGobbos (40), wolf riders, a RL, a DD, a couple of chariots and a mangler squig.

What to do against such list ? He'll probably also have a couple of knight units and *maybe* a block of warriors or marauders. All your help is really appreciated guys.

I'll be reading your thoughts smile.gif Thanks !

How did you get on in your game vs WoC?

Im two weeks away from playing a VERY experienced WoC player with my new OG army, ive a few ideas but still quite the noob.

I cant seem to find any 8th ed battle reports on here vs WoC with an OG player winning...

sad.gif
Captain Green
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 05:38 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 6,843

QUOTE (Bolo @ Jan 15 2012, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (Lord_Viper @ Nov 1 2011, 04:18 PM)
Hi guys,

I'm about to face a experienced WoC player in our community.  We're in the middle of a League Tournament and he's my last opponent on the first "phase" of the league.

I don't know much about his army but I know one thing for a fact:  He'll be using TWO chaos cannons !  They have been the bane of all his previous opponents so I'm worried

I have a fixed tournament list so there's not really much I can do in the troop selection department.  I have Savage Big'uns, Black Orcs, NGobbos (40), wolf riders, a RL, a DD, a couple of chariots and a mangler squig.

What to do against such list ?  He'll probably also have a couple of knight units and *maybe* a block of warriors or marauders.  All your help is really appreciated guys.

I'll be reading your thoughts smile.gif  Thanks !

How did you get on in your game vs WoC?

Im two weeks away from playing a VERY experienced WoC player with my new OG army, ive a few ideas but still quite the noob.

I cant seem to find any 8th ed battle reports on here vs WoC with an OG player winning...

sad.gif

OK, here is one for you smile.gif At 2400 points

My list was, in short -

Warboss
S.Orc Shaman - L4 - Shrunken Head
BSB
L1 N.Gobbo Shaman
30 Savage Big Uns - Extra choppa
30 Black Orcs
40 Gobbos
Squig Herd of 20 Squigs and 10 Goblins
5 Spider Riders
5 Spider Riders
A'rock Spider
2 Lobbas
1 Diver
3 Spear Chukkas

VS

L4 Tzeech
L2 Wizard
18 Chosen (approx)
18 Nurgle Warriors
18 Tzeech Warriors
2 Warshrines
1 Hellcannon
10 Maurader Cavalry

He went 1st and came straight at me as I expected. I deployed most war machines in the corner, had the NGs between the savage and black orc units, the squigs and the a'rock protecting my flank. In my first turn my 2 spider riders hit his cavalry unit and killed it whilst I shot big holes out of the nurgle unit.

In turn 2 he carried on with his forward advance whilst I carried on shooting at the Nurgle guys, the A'rock charged the Hellcannon and the Goblins moved to intercept the charge of the Chosen, whilst I kept the Black Orcs with the General and BSB close by.

In T3 my squig herd failed its animosity test and charged into the Tzeetch Warriors after my N.Goblins took a charge from the chosen, who had been blessed with a 3+ ward save. Steadfast, the general and the bsb made an incredible tarpit that the chosen didnt break my goblins for 2 turns. The A'rock polished off the hellcannon.

In T4, the A'rock was charged by a warshrine and my squig unit broke after the enfeebling foe was cast on it making them S2, the explosion did nothing. The night Goblins finally fled after the Nurgle unit hit it in the side, whilst my Savages charged the Tzeech Unit and the Nurgle unit was now down to about 4 warriors due to my relentless shooting.

T5 - The black Orcs got charged by the chosen and the remaining Nurgle, id reformed them into a bus formation to hold rank bonus, my General had the stubborn hat as well, if I could take out the rest of his stuff I was pretty sure they would hold for 2 turns. My savages were then charged by a warshrine, but won the combat by a heavy margin causing both the Warshrine and the Tzeech champion to flee with a succesful pursuit of the warshrine. The A rock finished off the other warshrine and victory was in my grasp.

The black orcs directed as many attacks as I could against the Nurgle for some combat res and Victory points, wiping out the unit.

In turn 6 the A'rock killed the fleeing Tzeech champion, and my Savages hit the chosen in the rear. The savages fled, the black orcs held and my Warboss chopped his BSB in half during a challenge.

I won by shooting lots and being cautious with my magic, using power dice to dispel a heck of a lot. The Night Goblins holding up the chosen for 2 turns was massive.

Basically, you beat Chaos by sitting back, chucking rubbish infront of their best unit and taking everything else out.

At the end of the game he had destroyed -

The squig herd
10 Spider riders
1 Stone Thrower (misfired)
Goblin shaman

It was my first time using this list, id be interested to see how it does against something that shoots back!
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Oct 4 2012, 12:50 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,381

So, I've got a big GT this weekend where there will be a lot of Warriors of Chaos. I haven't played them in a while and I need to refresh.

What's the meta like these days for them? Do people still take Chosen? I think most people in my area go for Tzeentch guys with Halberds and the Frenzied banner. They also go for a Khorne unit with Halberds? I don't seem to recall a lot of Chosen, but maybe I'm wrong. I do see double war shrine, though. Lord on disc, too.

I'm playing with my All Comers list. I think using the war machines to go for War Shrines and/or Wizard on Disc. Yes, the double Rock Lobba isn't as accurate as a Doom Diver, but if a rock lands on his head, he's looking for only his ward save. Do you think it's better to aim for the War Shrines with the Rock Lobba or the caster?

What can our SOBU w/ lvl 4 standard build take on? Can they take on Chaos Warriors head on? What about Chosen?
Da Git
Posted: Oct 4 2012, 02:52 PM

Orc

Member No.: 6,067

Rock Lobba the Shrines. Use Doom Divers to take out his troops. I'd take double DD over double Lobba against WoC, since it's not a given that you'll face double shrines but you WILL face loads of Warriors.

Also, try to lure his frenzied troops on failed charges. The Ld 8 fails more often than we think. And that said, he must have a combat Lord to have more than Ld 8. Most chaos players prefer a Level 4 wizard.

In a not all comers list: If you can, take double everything. Double DD, Double RL and Double Manglers. biggrin.gif And Chuckas might even be worth it. No Armour Saves Allowed.

My WoC friend was shot to pieces by turn two against the following list (which won the tourney):

(If I recall correctly)

Savage L4.
Blorc BSB.
Gobbo shaman.

Savages
Squig Herd
Night Goblins with Fanatics.
3 Wolf Chariots
Pump Wagon
3 Chuckas
2 manglers
2 Doom Divers
1 Rock Lobba.

This post has been edited by Da Git on Oct 4 2012, 02:52 PM
« Next Oldest | Army Specific Tactics | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1430 seconds | Archive