Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Guide To Fighting High Elves (8th Ed.), Post your anti-Elf tips and strategy!
Airtruck
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 08:35 PM

The Ratty One
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 694

Got tips and strategies that work well against the High Elves? Share them here with other warlords! Since the release of the new 8th edition, the game has changed a great deal and new tactics must be developed and discussed in order for da greenskins to crump ‘em good!
Ngongwe
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 08:02 PM

Snotling

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,943

A very difficult High Elf general will use an Archmage know the Lore of Shadow. He'll then go about augmenting his units, and if successful, will be very difficult to defeat in combat.

My number one priority when playing High Elves is to Kill the Mage. If he isn't Ethereal, it can be as easy as charging a unit of 10 or so fast cav and getting some good dice for attacks and wounds. I'm currently looking into the Night Goblin War Boss/Assassin build (on the Arabyan Carpet, with Maad's Map and Lucky's Dirk).

Stay away from the Swordmasters. Shoot them on sight and cast magic missiles until they go to visit Asuryan in High Elf heaven. If you get into combat with a bunch of them, your guys goto visit Gork (or Mork) in Orcs & Goblin heaven.

I used to see alot more Repeater Bolt Throwers. Not so much anymore in 8th, but I am still always prepared with a few units to try and take them out, they can rip thru our fast cav and goblins with ease, and a few of them can widdle down a decent sized unit of Orc boyz as well. Gork's Warpath on them does the trick (but land one on the Swordmasters first if you haven't already, these guys really need to be dead).

White Lions are nasty, too. Don't shoot them, charge them with something expendable, or with something really nasty that can take beating (nothing in the OnG army book comes to mind here, so just charge them with something worthless and try to keep the lion tamers out of the fight main fight.

If there is a Dragon, you can count on many casualties from the breath weapon, dragon attacks, etc. Just pray you have enough models left for steadfast, then flank or rear charge the dragon, preferably with a Giant or Trolls, I don't think it can Thunderstomp them (maybe the Trolls, not the Giant for certain). Thump with club, that dragon becomes your new shoes, Prince becomes dinner. This is all depending on whether or not your Giant survives past turn 3. Good luck with that.

Overall, I am sorry to say I really think Orcs and Goblins are still not very competitive in 8th edition, but the many games I've played against High Elves, I have had some success doing the things I mentioned above, when they worked . . .

This post has been edited by Ngongwe on Sep 13 2010, 08:04 PM
ringthorn1
Posted: Oct 27 2010, 11:52 PM

ultimate squig breeder, destroyer of apple pies

Member No.: 5,982

For OnG players like us, our Gobbos will have fear of elves. u should use this to your advantage by making your center a small unit of goblins. try to angle your wings so when the elves charge you can flank them. biggrin.gif
Artiee
Posted: Nov 8 2010, 07:43 PM

Orc

Member No.: 5,934

Just played a 1500 game against a new HE player in Mtn Pass Sc. . (HE from the starter set). He tryed flying his general over my NG. Thankfully I was able to charge into the general with 25 NG and one fanatic. He was 10 inches away from 50 NG with 3 fan, and 20 Bows with 2 Fan. The 25 NG was able to hold him for 3 turns unit a unit of 7 Sword Masters charged in. (He lost 3 because of a misspell on his mage). Sword Masters pursued and was distroyed by my 3 fan from my 50 NG unit. (rolled 13 hits and 12 wounds).

But his NE archers was just picking apart my troops as I moved them up.. My hoppers never got in range. and my DD and RL never hit anything, everything was out of range.

We only have fear of elfs as long as elfs out nubmer us right?
Gorks_wundapantz
Posted: May 2 2011, 06:36 AM

Da rekroota fer der big boss

Member No.: 5,660

QUOTE (Artiee @ Nov 8 2010, 07:43 PM)
We only have fear of elfs as long as elfs out nubmer us right?

Not anymore. Its ll units of any size. 100 goblins in a horde? they fear 5 shadow warriors.

I try to get a goblin BB with the shrieking sword into a unit if i'm worried about fear elves and want a unit of goblins to go toe-to-toe with the HE, but he's usually targeted pretty quickly. Mostly I rely on the boyz for the old chopchop
Squigkikka
Posted: May 2 2011, 07:42 AM

Waaagh!

Member No.: 5,573

The shrieking sword doesn't make the unit immune to fear, only the wielder!

Anyway, WS1/WS2 for Goblins doesn't really make that much of a difference most of the time tongue.gif
remyk
Posted: May 31 2012, 05:11 PM

say waaaaaghh!

Member No.: 6,848

how wil you fight a block of 40 sword masters with a mage lvl 4 with the book
a bsb with banner of the world dragon (immume to all magic)
and a nobel well i got the awnser!.

if you are able to relocate him to get enought time u need to dubble charge him 1 with a big block of trolls in the flank and 1 with a big block of 40 savage orc's most of the time i use em 10x4 with my general with crown of command and a savage orc shaman with the lucky head and with a arock spider if you can flank on there side of the mage you wil kill it! with 8 wounds and 8 attacks iwth potion you wil kill it! and then the spidergot it's points back

spear man are piece of cake unless they got mind razor than they are scary so my friend plays em like this

1 mage lvl 4 book
1nobel
1bsb banner of world drag
1 lvl2 mage for antimagic

like 40 sword master
40 spear dudes
2x10 archers
2 bloth throwes
1 eagel

if you play vs block like this focus on the sword masters! once they are down a victory is here! pit of shades is the main O&G problem thats why i suggest make like 3 fight units in 2 turns u can be in his block well here got my exp GL horde wink.gif
Morten C
Posted: May 31 2012, 05:58 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

QUOTE (remyk @ May 31 2012, 05:11 PM)
how wil you fight a block of 40 sword masters with a mage lvl 4 with the book
a  bsb with banner of the world dragon (immume to all magic)
and a nobel well i got the awnser!.

I think I have a better one: shoot with rock lobbers! 5+ armor won't do much! Then hit him with pump wagons, manglers and chariots... Those impact hits will eat T3 elfs! (and thus also be his boltthrowers prime targets: allowing your wolf riders to zoom in on them, and saving your monsters some rounds of shooting)

Phoenix guards are far worse! 4+ ward and heavy armor and stubborn. or white lions with their 3+ armor against shooting (in which case doom divers and chukkas are nice!) But the phoenix guard is so damn hard to shoot, and at the same time they're impossible to encounter in close combat... if 15 phoenix guard is still alive when they reach your troops, you can't charge them without protectiong your flanks. There is no way any greenskin unit will do 15 wounds after saves and they hardly ever flee. This leaves your troops for a nice flank charge of whatever... besides: mindrazor on 15 phoenix guards in 5 wide formation easily kills 8-9 orcs.

The best thing about high elfs is that our shooting is better! they can't hang back. So you'll have to force him to charge you, preferably through a chaff unit so fighting doesn't happen until your turn, and then you boost you troops with Ere we go.

Also: Flinger on the arachnarok is great against high elfs. Making them always strike last removes that cursed reroll, and wastly increase the killing power of the elfs. They probably won't dare charge any units when hit by that.

EDIT: btw, here's a dirty trick: buy a feedback scroll as well as a dispel scroll and then pack an expendable unit like 6 trolls. being I1 they're a juicy target for pit of shades, and he'll probably cast some high level spells early in game to get your dispel scroll out of the game... Pit of shades is fairly unreliable though and often scatters of, and if he use 5 or 6 dice to cast it, a feedback scroll could easily put two wounds on the wizard.. a wizard with two wounds on him is not what you want, when you need to 6-dice mindrazor later that game to avoid the scroll! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Morten C on May 31 2012, 06:03 PM
remyk
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 12:17 PM

say waaaaaghh!

uhmm not rly always stirke last vs first wil make it Ini and because they have 5 that wont be so great ><.

and feed back scroll is good but 50 pts ..... with my lists i alwayys get trouble to fit it in ;s but is idd a nice idea just need to throw 3x 5+ with like 6 dice

and sometimes my friend plays nice and doesnt use shadows on me but life what should i do vs that :S i disspel all i can but it stil is hard because he get wonds and i cant disspel and he does so mutch dmg! and to be vs T7 swordmasters with 4+ regen auch!
Morten C
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 01:22 PM

Warboss

QUOTE (remyk @ Jun 1 2012, 12:17 PM)
uhmm not rly always stirke last vs first wil make it Ini and because they have 5 that wont be so great ><.

Yeahr it does, cauz it removes the reroll to hit! That's really nice!

and feed back scroll is good but 50 pts ..... with my lists i alwayys get trouble to fit it in ;s but is idd a nice idea just need to throw 3x 5+ with like 6  dice
No, you just need to do 2 wound on 6 dice! If he's badly wounded he probably won't dare to try and force an miscast on the Mindrazor, and then you can scroll that or dispel it with dice! smile.gif

and sometimes my friend plays nice and doesnt use shadows on me but life what should i do vs that :S i disspel all i can but it stil is hard because he get wonds and i cant disspel and he does so mutch dmg!  and to be vs T7 swordmasters with 4+ regen auch!
Well you black orcs should have the flaming banner, so that's fine in combat. You're S7 the first round, so you will still wound some elfish scum! But again, swordmaster are pretty easy to shoot as long as those spells aren't up... If they are every turn, well that means he's spending all his magic protecting that one unit while the rest of them get smashed to bits by the warmachines.

But I don't say that high elfs is an easy match with these advice, it just makes the elfs manageable...

A nice trick btw: A horde of orcs (any type) can be places giving a possible flank charge to the swordmasters (don't make the intend obvious. Find something else to measure against and make them look like they're heading for something), and then make sure to include a character with the crown of command. He's gonna be safe as long as you stay out of challenges and away form the corner, and will pin the swordmasters in place even if you loose 15 orcs... that should give you a juicy flank charge wink.gif
Squigkikka
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 01:34 PM

Waaagh!

High Elves hate:

Trolls

Doom Divers

Chariots

While not very in-depth, smack some of those things in there smile.gif
remyk
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 07:02 PM

say waaaaaghh!

morten C

i have done some asking in my local games workshop and feedback scroll wont work with inresistible force :S you cant use any scrolls on it ..... damn
Morten C
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 07:35 PM

Warboss

QUOTE (remyk @ Jun 3 2012, 07:02 PM)
morten C

i have done some asking in my local games workshop and feedback scroll wont work with inresistible force :S you cant use any scrolls on it ..... damn

I'm pretty sure they're wrong. A scroll is used instead of a dispel attempt, and since you don't get to dispel IF spells...
Squigkikka
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 07:48 PM

Waaagh!

Which is exactly what he said? tongue.gif
Morten C
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 08:01 PM

Warboss

ahhh. I read it the other way around laugh.gif

No you can't use it against IF force... but you can't do anything against IF spells any way...

The point about the feedback scroll, is to use it whenever he tries to draw your dispel scroll... so whenever he doesn't get IF but uses lots of dice. It might cost you a unit of trolls, but see it as a trade... it's often worth it smile.gif
« Next Oldest | Army Specific Tactics | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1069 seconds | Archive