zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (7) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

New Boar Riders And River Trolls Have Landed!, pics here
Craze_b0i
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 10:15 AM

Warboss

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,714

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod750002a

user posted image

So, what are your impressions?

I never liked the old plastic boar, have refused to buy them since they came out in mid 90s. Other players I spoke to think they are ok but to me the head-shape is all wrong and the posture made them look like motorbikes or scooters. Looking at the new ones I am fairly happy, you will never get the same detail as the old metal figures but at least they got the basics right, particularly the posture where the animals look like they are charging. The riders are ok too, not that different to previous riders. The only thing that bugs me is the standard totem, like the previous boar standard it looks a bit tacky and silly. But that is not too much an issue as you can clip it off and put on a proper banner.

All that remains now is to 'fix' the points cost. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Craze_b0i on Apr 13 2010, 11:57 AM
Blackmoonz
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 10:58 AM

Big Boss of Blackmoonz

Member No.: 5,745

I hope they redo the wolf chariot next!
Grupas
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 11:26 AM

Da Ravening Luna-Tics

Member No.: 4,745

those trolls are awe-some-more
Craze_b0i
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 12:00 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

Oh yeh, didn't notice the trolls are up there as well. I don't own any trolls but imo these river trolls are better than the previous ones.

But looking at the boars again I wish there was more fur on the heads. They look a bit peculiar with bald heads and furry bodies. I think they would look better with the face painted the same colour.

This post has been edited by Craze_b0i on Apr 13 2010, 12:07 PM
Draig
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 12:09 PM

Animosity Boyz
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 1,921

I'm going to get the two threads discussing this merged so we're all in one place!

This post has been edited by Draig on Apr 13 2010, 12:10 PM
cb_rex
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 12:18 PM

Warboss Azbad Bonecruncher

Member No.: 4,967

These Boar Boyz look fantastic, if you look on the GW website you can check out the sprues and it seems there is an alternate banner that is a simple style flag on a spear.

This post has been edited by cb_rex on Apr 13 2010, 12:19 PM
Tarlen da Foeburna
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 12:31 PM

Pyromaniac Goblin Warboss

Member No.: 3,489

They look amazing. They also look like they have too much metal on them to be easily converted to savages, which is a shame because they pulled both varieties of boar boy from the store.

The river trolls, on the other hand, are everything I expected and more. Wonderful!
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:10 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I think they all look very cool! The boars are MUCH more dynamic than the older ones. It's true that the older ones are more like scooters or motorcycles. The riders are MUCH more dynamic than the older ones. The old ones are laid back and cruising along. These guys look hunched on top and geared for a charge. Very dynamic boar boyz.

I love the sculpts, too! The orcs look mean! The shields look fantastic! The spears look better than the old ones.

*sigh* I have about 25 of the old boar boyz. If I didnít, then I would definitely be going to get some of these guys.

The trolls look really nice, too. They are more angular and I like it, but still have a lot of character. Not like the knob headed dough-boys of the standard trolls. They are nice enough to maybe make me want to go buy some. Curses!
bloodforgedorcs
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:15 PM

Tutorial Guru

Member No.: 5,509

im gklad the boars are now in plastic, though im not sure if i like the look.

However, the trolls look SWEET!!! i really like them, also love the troll vomit, very realistic

bloodforgedorcs
SnotMuncha
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:24 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 3,791

Both look pretty cool overall.

The boars - well the faces are a little odd when you first see the pick they really jump out at you then you look a little longer and realize there are orcs on them!
They got that silly wooden boar standard still going on (though they have another another cloth banner on the sprue)
I think they could of done a little more on the boars them selves a bit more variety in the poses perhaps...
Im diggin the sheilds though nice designs gong on.

The sprues look good for conversions!

My mind isnt made up about the trolls unsure.gif they look a bit plump. Firstly they could of gone the extra mile on the paint jobs. But hey there seems to be a current trend with uninspiring paintjobs in their studio armies. The 2 extra pics of the single trolls show a bit more flair.
Morten C
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:26 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

I have one very big concern, when i look at the river trolls: They are humongous!!!

They look like they are having the same size-increase as the minotaurs got. Place these bad boys next to my regular trolls from gamezone, and i'm afraid they will make the regular trolls look like skinny little nerds sad.gif

What to do, what to do... oh crap they look so nice, i'll have to have at least six... no wait nine... no only six... oh the dilemma unsure.gif

EDIT: On the boar part: They are actually looking like real wild boars! But i will be sculpturing some green fur on their heads though. The riders ore nice too. Just to bad i don't use GW orcs.

This post has been edited by Morten C on Apr 13 2010, 01:31 PM
Dregnort
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:35 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,700

So thats 10 orcs on boars and 6 trolls to buy next. No make that 20 orcs on boars and 6 trolls.
grakhnar
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 02:40 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 3,774

Looks like it's going to be an expensive month again. I'll be ordering these from Maelstrom as soon as they become available. Finally we have some decent plastic boars, now bring on the wolfriders ohmy.gif
Shame about the price of the trolls although i'm still getting some, the boar boyz are a bargain though at £3 each.

This post has been edited by grakhnar on Apr 13 2010, 02:41 PM
Snitchy Fizzbang
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 03:25 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 4,837

I think both sets look great. Another sale for GW.

The trolls are a different style, I was trying to work what they reminded me of

......... I think it's some of the art work from 3rd ed D&D (possibly also war machine) There's an artist that signs his name WAR, not sure what name is.

This post has been edited by Snitchy Fizzbang on Apr 13 2010, 03:25 PM
Andrew the Eternal
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 03:26 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 3,795

user posted image
Just because, here are the new Trolls.

I would love this new Boar Boy kit only for the varied dynamic poses of the Boars themselves. The rest is nice too. biggrin.gif The riders themselves aren't too imaginative, but the updated look is welcome. I am rather fond of the skulls trailing from the banner as well as the musician.
« Next Oldest | Orc and Goblin Stronghold | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (7) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0729 seconds | Archive