Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 8th Conversion Competition: Rank and File Edition - ENTER HERE!

8th Edition Revisions
Shaggothlord
Posted: Mar 29 2010, 03:23 AM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,306

Hello. I had some spare time on vacation and decided to make revisions to the current Orc book. This does not include magic items etc., but I feel addresses major issues of the army without being overpowered. Upon request, I will also post my Black Orc Boar Boy stats, but do not feel like it at the moment because it is late at night.
Point Revisions:
Big Un upgrade for Infantry-3 points.
Big Un upgrade for Cavalry-5 points.
Boar Boys 18 points each
Savage Boar Boys 19 each
Wolf Chariots 2 for 1
Black Orcs 12 each and come with shields

Army Wide Special Rule: We'z Bigga dan dem!: Units that cause fear but are outnumbered by a friendly Orcs and Goblins unit do not cause fear. Terror causers outnumbered cause fear instead. Example: 15 ghouls charge 20 orcs. Normally the ghouls cause fear, but since the Orcs outnumber the ghouls, the ghouls do not cause fear. Calculate at the end of each combat phase who outnumbers who for the purpose of if a unit causes fear or not. Also calculate Fear when a unit is charging/ being charged by a Fear/ Terror causer.

Animosity: As normal, but if there is a character in the unit, if said unit rolls a one, instead consult the Squabble Table:
1-2: Squabble
3-4: Sorry Boss! D3 hits strike the unit at the strength of the character in the unit, but then the unit is free to move. This cannot cause panic.
5-6: Act as if the unit rolled a 2-5.

Quell Animosity: Units within 6 of Black Orcs roll on animosity table, but only count rolls of 2-6. If a 1 is rolled, count it as a 2. Black Orc characters and their unit do not squabble.

WAAGH: If one is rolled, reroll. Second result stands. 1 is unmodifiable. If goblins are within 12 of general, they may count their rank bonuses for modifying their WAAGH! roll. If a goblin character is general, then goblins always count rank bonus for calling WAAGH!

Night/ Goblin Big bosses are 2 for 1 if they do not have magic equipment.

Da Boss Died: Army wide rule. IF general dies, the character with the next highest leadership in the army is the new general. This can not bring the Battle Standard Bearer to be the general. However, if there are multiple characters with the same leadership viable, you may choose the next general. The opponent only gets Vicotry Points once for killing the first general.

One Orc Boy unit in the army can take a magic banner up to a value of 50 points. Any number of units in the army can be upgraded to Big Uns.

Armed to Da Teef: Safe, except that Black Orcs may switch weapons each round, allowing, for example, using 2 choppas in the first round of combat then switching to choppa and shield. This rule still remains in effect for Black Orc Characters.

Thoughts? Thank you if you read it all the way through! I think these rules make up for our psychology problems in a fluffy way, plus the quick pecking order of leaders is established in a new way. ninja.gif

This post has been edited by Shaggothlord on Mar 30 2010, 02:33 AM
Draig
Posted: Mar 29 2010, 01:39 PM

Animosity Boyz
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 1,921

I like them actually. Especially the Bosses taking over. You captured the background pretty well I think and gave things a nice little boost. You costed the Boar Boyz right where I did for the Warhammer Empire summer campaign list, so maybe I'm not crazy. Would love to see your Black Orc Boar Boy stats.
BloodAnWhiskey
Posted: Mar 29 2010, 09:00 PM

Goblin Warboss of the Da Salty Freebootaz

Member No.: 5,450

Goblin general calling Waagh! with rank bonuses are a dream I have for the 8th edition book. I do not think GW will fulfill it though. They would embolden more goblin armies which is probably contrary to their market plan(ning).

Da Boss Died sounds very fluffy to me. Although a possible addition to it can be that VP for your general can only be counted once.

New Animosity chart calls to mind the last one in terms of ill effects. I like it!

This post has been edited by BloodAnWhiskey on Mar 29 2010, 09:01 PM
chaosblackwing
Posted: Mar 29 2010, 09:11 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,315

I like it, it makes sense fluff wise, and doesn't make things too overpowered. And with a setup like that, people would actually have a good reason to bring black orcs, which is quite nice.

Only thing I would change would be to have the 'We'z Bigga dan dem!' rule be calculated after combat, instead of before. After all, it makes sense that orcs outnumbering their enemies aren't going to be so quick to run away from a charge, but if they get charged by something that causes fear, and loose a bunch of models from the ensuing combat, that would probably change their minds rather quickly.
Shaggothlord
Posted: Mar 29 2010, 10:34 PM

Goblin

Will make changes later, have homework to do. I will also edit this post later with the Black Orc Cavalry rules. Thank you for such positive feedback! I did not know that the 6th edition book had different penalties for squabble, is that true? I have never seen it before. laugh.gif

Edit: Okay here are the Black Orc Cavalry stats. Keep in mind they have the revised Armed to Da Teef rules, and Quell Animosity.

Black Orc Cavalry-26 points/model

M Ws BS S T W I A LD
4 5 3 4 4 1 3 1 8

Plus the boar. Equipment- Heavy Armor, shield, Choppa on a Stick

Musician-8 points
Standard-16 points
Champion(+1 attack)-16 points

Choppa on a Stick- Weapon. Grants +1 strength in the first round of combat, charging or charged, mounted or on foot. ( I was thinking this weapon could replace the spear option?)

Here are a few additional things I have found in my journal.

Wyvern-190 points. ( I cannot see spending 210 points, especially only with 3 attacks)

Da Stunties!- Every model in the army except mounts have Hatred of Dwarfs. This rule is not necessary, I thought it might be cool though.

Thanks guys!

edit: Even though the stats line up on my type, they don't when I post, anyone know why? If this problem causes to be too irritable, I will try and change it.

This post has been edited by Shaggothlord on Mar 30 2010, 02:30 AM
Snuggles
Posted: Jun 3 2010, 12:02 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 2,176

I also think they should change fanatics direct hit roll back to you get to choose the direction.
Shaggothlord
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 04:39 PM

Goblin

Agreed. Good idea.
theorox
Posted: Jun 30 2010, 09:47 AM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

Or that they automatically go towards closest enemy unit. That would be better in my opinion. Still retains the Greenskin Crazyness. smile.gif

Theo
Shaggothlord
Posted: Jun 30 2010, 04:08 PM

Goblin

QUOTE (theorox @ Jun 30 2010, 09:47 AM)
Or that they automatically go towards closest enemy unit. That would be better in my opinion. Still retains the Greenskin Crazyness. smile.gif

Theo

Perhaps, but in the fanatics fluff it mentions that they cannot tell friend from foe once released, so that might not be the greatest.
theorox
Posted: Jul 20 2010, 08:54 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

QUOTE (Shaggothlord @ Jun 30 2010, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (theorox @ Jun 30 2010, 09:47 AM)

Theo

Perhaps, but in the fanatics fluff it mentions that they cannot tell friend from foe once released, so that might not be the greatest.

I guess, but seems as logical as choosing the direction to me...maybe going towards closest unit, friend or foe? xD That would be majorly crazy!

Yay 700th post! ^^

Theo
Goofycabal
Posted: Aug 21 2010, 09:06 AM

Offical Welcome Admin, and Master of Chug an' Lug
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 65

After the game I played today, my friend and I were discussing a few things and we came up with the thought that for a (supposedly) combat orientated army, the Initiative rules were a little too harsh for Greenskins.

Not sure how it's affecting everyone else, but it's been absolutely devastating to me.

So, he suggested that all Orcs (not Goblins) get to double their Initiative on the charge to represent their Primal Fury.

On the turn that the General calls a Waaagh, all Orcs get Always Strike First instead, and all Goblin Units get to double their Initiative.
Craze_b0i
Posted: Aug 21 2010, 09:39 AM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,714

Really interesting ideas here. I think it was a mistake to give the boar-boys spears in the last book, they should have just made choppas work on all orcs including cavalry. The models would look way cooler as well.

While we are on the topic... how many of you were aware that a mounted orc character loses his +1 bonus for the choppa? IMO it's definately a rule that should be fixed.
wolfbro7
Posted: Aug 23 2010, 08:02 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 5,208

QUOTE (Goofycabal @ Aug 21 2010, 09:06 AM)
So, he suggested that all Orcs (not Goblins) get to double their Initiative on the charge to represent their Primal Fury.

On the turn that the General calls a Waaagh, all Orcs get Always Strike First instead, and all Goblin Units get to double their Initiative.

I like this. It makes sense, isn't over the top and could also work with the "normal" Animosity rules.
BorkBork
Posted: Aug 23 2010, 08:58 AM

also known as Bonapork

Member No.: 1,951

i like that suggestion about the I bonus on the charge.

I have played lots of different games, ancient, napoleonic etc and in none of them you would get such as little benefit on the charge as in warhammer 8th.

This post has been edited by BorkBork on Aug 23 2010, 09:15 AM
slayer69
Posted: Aug 25 2010, 04:05 AM

The Crusher of the crushed!

Member No.: 2,033

QUOTE (BorkBork @ Aug 23 2010, 08:58 AM)
i like that suggestion about the I bonus on the charge.

I have played lots of different games, ancient, napoleonic etc and in none of them you would get such as little benefit on the charge as in warhammer 8th.

Charging should let you strike first no matter what in my opinion. I really don't see why they changed this so much in the new edition.

As for Orcs low initiative. Maybe there will be a change to this for most armies seeing that initiative is a lot more important than it was last edition. Nevertheless you still always get to strike though which is quite nice (for everyone but hey).

Cheers

PS: I'd really like to see the Wyvern go down in points a bit as well as the general + BSB combo has gotten even better and flying your LD across the board is too much of a liability at them moment, especially combined with the more effective shooting.
Yes it got thunderstomp but its so Orcy having a Waaghboss ride around on his pet Lizard. I loved my Wyvern in 6th and 7th and do intend to play one in 8th as well...although they are in serious trouble if they don't get into Close combat now blink.gif
« Next Oldest | Bits and Baubles | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1167 seconds | Archive