InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (52) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Watching Paint Dry - Wanting Comments For My Blog!, random stuff now
Grimskull
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 05:00 PM

Lord Byrorc

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,069

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Jul 16 2009, 04:53 PM)
To the south, actually. My Empire (that I never play with much) is from Wissenland. They are land locked, with the exception of some rivers. I wouldn't imagine that they would have a ship, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Emmanuelle is the Elector Count of Wissenland, not that she does anything but spread her legs and quaff a lot of alcohol. Oh, I do hear that she has big balls. laugh.gif

I'm thinking maybe some generic name that might be used by Brett, Tilean, or Empire craft. "Lady of Hope" or some such.

If they've access to the Reik they might conceivably have a ship for river patrols. When does it stop being navigable again? I think it's further upriver. Might be wrong though.

Maybe something to do with Myrmidia? She's worshipped on the quiet all over the Old World even if she's not a state goddess anywhere.
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 08:00 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I just had a few ideas. How about:

- The Harbinger
- The Omen
- Handmaiden of Taal
- The <insert some bird name....like swallow, finch, dove, etc>
Arrgberg
Posted: Jul 17 2009, 05:13 AM

Orc

Member No.: 4,722

All of those work really well with the figurehead on the Pearl. For some reason I like the Omen...

Wissenland, you got the Sol...
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Aug 8 2009, 11:26 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

OK....so no work on the Omen yet. I've played a few games with my savage orcs and they have been unpainted for over a year. I figured it's time to finish them. I had started their skin a looooong time ago. There were about 8 of the 20 that weren't finished. I finished them off and have been slowly working on everything. It's been summer and there have been a lot of busy weekends. Just the past week, though, I've really worked on these savages.

The minis are from the new defunct "Inch High Games". They sold plastic savage orcs which I quite liked. I thought about buying some, but finally bought 20 for their "going out of business" sale. They were a pain to put together, but I did. They came with textured bases, which was pretty cool. I finally got around to painting them, too. I differed from my normal textured ground technique as I wanted them to kind of look like they had sand on them. The rest of my army is based with sand, so I was trying to make them consistent. I painted them scorched earth, bestial brown, snakebite leather (which so far is my standard browns), graveyard earth, and then khaki brown. There are stones on there that I haven't touched yet. Also, I will paint the edges scab red when done.

I painted all the teeth, bones, and the wood the same scorched earth and bestial brown. For the wood, though, I wanted something different. I was worried that with all these different browns, the mini would look to brown. I was looking through the latest version of the Citadel painting book (which I haven't done in a while) and came across the section on layering. It had some suggestions for dramatic layering. The spears on these guys are really textured and I had been looking forward to dry brushing them. The book suggested vomit brown next, which I thought might be too yellow. I tested it out, and it came out great! There were a couple instances that I went a little too heavy, as always seems to be the case with dry brushing.

user posted image

user posted image

Maybe a little too much dry brushing on this one:
user posted image

As you can see, the different color browns for the wood and the ground came out pretty well. They look a lot different.

user posted image

Here are some before I got to the teeth and bones:
user posted image

user posted image

I started to get the teeth and bones done on some of them before my son woke up from his nap.

user posted image

user posted image

There is a lot left to do, but there are starting to be more colors on these guys. They have been green and black for so long. Now, they are green, black, and brown. The teeth are looking sharp.

I am not sure how I am going to the skins on them. I've never done exotic animal skins before, but I might be interested in trying. It would ensure that it wasn't all just a lot of browns. Anyone know of a good tutorial to do exotic furs?

I am thinking of painting their loincloths red instead of brown. The rest of the army is tan/brown and scab red. These guys don't really have a lot of red on them. I think it would be another way to tie them into the rest of the army.

That also leaves their shields. I'm thinking of painting them snakebite leather and dry brush bleached bone on. The icons on the shields will be red. The wood on the rims will be the same brown as the spears. The final vomit brown should be different enough.

What do you guys think so far? Any advice on the furs?

This post has been edited by Groznit Goregut on Aug 9 2009, 12:15 AM
Xam Dreadhowl
Posted: Aug 9 2009, 01:46 AM

Orc

Member No.: 5,312

Goregut,

Some nice looking Savage's there mate. The paint work looks good so far.

I haven't got much advice on the animal skins, except to look at some pics of big cats etc. on the net and pick out similar colours. I hope somebody else chimes in as I have 12 GW Savage Orc Boar Boyz to do and wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial also.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Sep 8 2009, 12:42 AM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

So, I've been working on those Savage Orcs for a bit now. Slowly getting it done. Bit by bit...whenever I can find the time. I bought them back in Spring of 2008 and I started to paint them about Fall of 2008. I am finally getting around to getting them done.

I worked on the shields and on the stonework. I did the shields with scab red as the color for the shield. I did the loin clothes the same, too. I figure I can go in and add layers later, but at least I got the base color down. The face on the shields I wasn't sure what to do. I did the same wooden color as on the wooden spear shafts. It came out more yellow, but it's not necessarily bad.

I also got around to painting the stone spear tips and the stone on the bottom of the bases. I will have to touch up the bases at some point and perhaps put on some flock. I will definitely have to touch up the whole mini, especially the skin. I will paint over all the mess ups at the end. I will mix up some skin and do it all then.

I have the bone spear tips to do. I have the leather straps on the spears to do. I also have all the fur. There is fur on the ankles of some. There is skins on the wrists of some. There is skin on the backs of others. I will see what I can do.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Sep 8 2009, 08:54 AM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

The savages look great, to bad that the company who sells them no longer exist so that I can't buy some. What color of warpaint will you give them?

Greetz
G
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Sep 8 2009, 10:34 AM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Warpaint ?!? Snotling's Poo! I haven't even thought about it! Any suggestions? I was worried about these guys not fitting into the rest of the red and light brown color scheme of the rest of the army, but I think the red loin clothes (still not done) and shields did that well. So......I have no idea for war paint. Maybe once I am done with the furs I will have a better idea???

Thanks for the compliment, though. I really do appreciate it.

Oh, I still have to work on the shrunken skulls and hair on the top of the shields. Still a lot to do, but I am getting there.....slowly.

This post has been edited by Groznit Goregut on Sep 8 2009, 10:48 AM
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Sep 8 2009, 11:58 AM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

Well I used red warpaint on my savages and it looks good, and you say you have quite a lot of red in the army so that might be a good solution.

Greetz
G
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Sep 8 2009, 05:19 PM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

They look very fine. Nice models, though skinny compared to GW. They have definitely a wild look about them, and nice painted. And I agree, red could look very fine for warpaint and fit with the rest.
Kees
Dyjo Khan
Posted: Sep 13 2009, 08:39 PM

"Bash it gud!"

Member No.: 5,470

:omg: theres just too much win to the army on page 1 i couldnt help to comment. wub.gif

*bows with deference*
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Sep 14 2009, 12:28 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I could have gotten a lot of painting done this weekend, but the lure of video games was my downfall. I squandered hours this weekend that way. I did get to paint the bone spear tips and the little skulls on top of the shields.

I need to figure out a good way to do hair. I put a layer of some of the brown Foundation paint on the hair and figure I can mix a wash and some dry brushing to get some decent effects. I guess I just don't know what colors are good colors to do for hair. I haven't really painted anything other than Orcs and Goblins. The only hair I have done are on the few severed heads they have.
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Sep 23 2009, 12:22 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

OK....I've got a big weekend of painting ahead. My family is going with another family to a mountain cabin. It has power and all that, so I am good. We are going to make a long weekend out of it. Everyone is going to go hiking and have a good time of it. My ankle is STILL hurting and preventing me from hiking (It will be 2 years this Dec that I broke it). So.......my wife made the suggestion that I bring up some minis to paint up.

I have a ton of night goblins that I have never painted. A ton. I have about double the number of Battle for Skull Pass minis. I have 40 of the old 6th Ed night goblins, too. My plan is to paint as many night goblins as possible and to hopefully have a unit of 20 archers and a unit of 20 hand weapon and shield guys. If I get more done, that's even better, but I am trying to at least be realistic in trying to get done what I need.

I have been gluing sand on a lot of bases lately, so that the bases have a good starting point. I pulled out those long bases that are the length of 4 bases that I had bought ages ago. I had never used them and figure a lot of night goblins is the time to use them. I also busted into my bitz collection. I've been hoarding stuff and not using it for ages. I've got all those mushrooms from the old night goblin set. I have quivers, skulls, pouches, night goblin daggers, etc. I'm going to do a good job on these little guys. I always thought that I should save all that stuff for a big and important unit, but I really think I should make all the units stand out. I think it's a sign of me getting more involved in the hobby aspect of the game.

The fun part will be loading up all my supplies. I don't want to be without a single paint...just in case I need it.
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Sep 23 2009, 07:36 PM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

... have fun painting and using all those bits...
BTW Great wife, saying that. A friend of mine stopped his (15mm) wargaming activities because of a wife not wanting him spending all that time (and money) in it anymore...
(BTW 2 my wife isnt bad in these matters either...)
Kees
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Sep 23 2009, 07:41 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

I think her reason was to keep me interested in wanting to go and stay at the mountains for a long weekend. rolleyes.gif She doesn't want me getting bored and stuck at the cabin with nothing to do.

She's pretty good at letting me play, though. I've got an allowance that I can spend on whatever I want, which usually means Warhammer. The hard part is finding the time to get out and play.
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (52) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1291 seconds | Archive