zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Lazy Painting - Washes., Tabletop quality, don't get close!
Silver
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 02:42 AM

Big Boss

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,745

So I've decided I wanted my Orcs n Gobs army to be painted but didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on it as it is not my main army.

Tabletop quality, this means when you look at it up close, it ain't so pretty, but for gaming, it should be more than enough (: Better than a plastic & partially primed army!

So here it is, the first unit I painted today, which is a first for me - 1 unit in one day, it usually takes me over a week to finish a unit :[ So its time efficient and the sloppy result isn't so bad!

user posted image

As you can immediately notice, speckles of white in the deepest reaches of the mini - wash bubbles up instead of flattening in those depths without case-by-case retouch so when it dries up, it was never washed O: But form afar - none can notice it.

Next you can see how some colours washed up on others, happens, I'm not doing any precision work, heh!

I still have some units to assemble, sand up and then prime so ill get right on that!
Bases aren't final, I'll add snow and maybe some grass here and there.

This post has been edited by Silver on Dec 7 2008, 02:43 AM
Turelio
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 04:19 AM

Trapped in Oz

Member No.: 2,003

I dunno. Those photos are pretty close, and they don't look bad. I'm guessing it's a white undercoat with the citadel washes over the model?

It looks like while you haven't spent as much time on them as you would other models, you've still done them neatly and with a good colour scheme, which helps a lot when looking at a painted army. At this rate, have you formed an idea of how long it will take to do the army?
Silver
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 05:41 AM

Big Boss

Yeah the photos are zoomed in and with the flash, its still somewhat better than some Tabletop quality but its far under what I can do normally o:

I could finish the army rather quick, depends if I run out of Skull White Primer ;P A week or two and I could have it all ready to play o: But I still have some assembly to do as well and removing mold lines is boring and annoying on orc boyz

This post has been edited by Silver on Dec 7 2008, 05:53 AM
Onii One Orc
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 06:36 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 4,887

Now if you went in and did the teeth and claws in an off-white, maybe did a bit more work on the gobbo's robes, you'd have an ever nicer looking unit! Looks like great work though, those washes get some decent results.

For what it's worth, I really hate the way those squigs rank up. (Working on my own herd right now.) The gobbos with the giant prodders aren't exactly ace either.
Silver
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 01:41 PM

Big Boss

Mine all fit well together, but there's like only that one configuration I can use lol.
Even one of the prodders is going under 2 squigs because there wasn't any other way to place it.
Tokamak
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 02:06 PM

Victim of da 'orny boar crusade

Member No.: 1,028

Far better then any dipping attempt Ive seen.
Silver
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 02:30 PM

Big Boss

And none of the mess that comes with dipping.

This post has been edited by Silver on Dec 7 2008, 02:30 PM
Naffgit Wartfinger
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 06:59 PM

Unmotivated.

Member No.: 4,816

may i ask weather they are painted using the washes straight out of the post, or mixed? As far as I can tell, Red for bodies, sepia for teeth and feet? Green gobbo skin, black robes. Correct?

Naffgit
Silver
Posted: Dec 7 2008, 07:35 PM

Big Boss

Red is always done by first applying Devlan Mud and when its dry Baal red, otherwise it gives a nice pink (: The squigs though were Ogryn Flesh instead of Devlan Mud, and then Baal Red as normal.

But yes its all straigth from the pot, no water, no mixes.
I did put Mithril silver for metal areas before washing em Badab Black.

Just finished my Doom Diver, going to paint 3-4 more figurines today. O:

user posted image

Need to finish the Shaman's base and then move on to the Chukkas.

This post has been edited by Silver on Dec 7 2008, 09:45 PM
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 04:19 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I really like that Doom Diva! Do you mind going into some detail as to how you painted it? I've got a primed one sitting unpainted at home for a few years now. I really should get around to it soon.
Silver
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 04:44 PM

Big Boss

QUOTE (Groznit Goregut @ Dec 8 2008, 04:19 PM)
I really like that Doom Diva! Do you mind going into some detail as to how you painted it? I've got a primed one sitting unpainted at home for a few years now. I really should get around to it soon.

It was primed Black before I decided to wash it, so I went back outside and primed it white.

From there its simple.. (:

Big ropes, Bucket, Wood: Devlan mud on White Undercoat
Small Ropes: Gryphonne Sepia on White Undercoat
Cables: Badab Black on White Undercoat
Greasy Runway & bucket: Gryphonne Sepia on white Undercoat
Goblins: Thraka Green on White Undercoat
Clothes, Wings: Devlan Mud on White Undercoat -> Baal Red on Devlan Mud layer
Hair: Badab Black on White Undercoat
Metal parts: Mithril Silver on White Undercoat -> Badab Black on Mithril Silver layer
Nareik
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 06:08 PM

Goblin

Member No.: 4,575

These models are a fantastic show case of what washes can do.

You've selected your colours very well Silver, you should be proud of these quick n dirty wash jobs!
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 06:15 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Very cool and much thanks! Did you do more than one coat on any of these?

Also, what about the wood?

This post has been edited by Groznit Goregut on Dec 8 2008, 06:16 PM
Silver
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 07:01 PM

Big Boss

Already mentionned the wood, simply Devlan Mud.
The only places that have had 2 layers of Wash are the Reds and sometimes the wood when I do metallic parts near, ill have to wash Badab black on the metal and it easily goes down on the wood so I just do a very minor coat over it to unify it.
meyer63026
Posted: Dec 8 2008, 08:01 PM

Stuntie Killa

Member No.: 4,690

I think those models look great. Very unique look, and absolutely tabletop quality. Makes me want to do that to some night goblins to speed up the process.

Can't wait to see some more biggrin.gif
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0729 seconds | Archive