zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (11) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The Grudge Of Sheer, A Warhammer Narrative Campaign
Warboss Dragoneye
Posted: Jul 17 2008, 08:20 PM

Pyromaniac Goblin Warboss

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,489

Uh-oh, better hope Goombette doesn't read the boards. We may lose a mod, or a mod may lose limbs. biggrin.gif
This fight ought to be good! I've got to wonder how much pain will be unleashed ('cause let's face it, the Amazons are gonna punt short things left and right).
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 04:16 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

Member No.: 600

user posted image
WEEK FOUR: SHALLOW WATER, SHALLOW GRAVES

A brillant morning sun beat down on the coastline of Lustria, burning off the morning mists and revealing a new day. A great wrecked ship, listing to her side, was beached in the shoals, smashed amid the rocks. The tattered canvas sails lay sprawled across the once proud decks, rotten timber and rusty metal scrap littering the forecastle. In the clear waters surrounding the wreakage floated waterlogged barrels and crates, pitching to and fro at the whim of the waves that occasionally swept past the sandbars dotting the coastline here.

Emerging from the surging surf came the Dwarves from the Heart of Stone. Scouts had followed the fleeing FishGitz and their captive Engineer to the ruined vessle that served as their camp. Observing the activities during the night from the safety of the Heart, Captain Sheer had determined a dawn raid upon the Orcs offered the best opportunity to rescue their fallen comrade.

Each Dwarf set about removing their weapons from protective oilskins and waterproofed sacks, moving with practiced ease, strapping on belts, loading shot, ect. Laying on his belly, Sheer turned the ridges of his spyglass to bring into better focus the wreakage of the ship.

user posted image

On her ruined decks were several of the wierd Orcs, still bedecked in their outlandish fish costumes.

user posted image

Looking further along the deck, he spied the Orc boss, bellowing orders to his crew. Beyond the boss he spied the trussed form of the Chief, beat up and stripped of armor and weapons but otherwise appearing unharmed. However a vicious little Goblin, sporting a large feathered hat, was taunting the Chief, holding a water flask just out of reach, swatting him with a small cudgel and even rushing forward to pull hairs out of his beard before rushing back out of reach. Sheer could see murder in the eyes of Chief and he chuckled at his friends defiance.

user posted image

At a signal from Sheer, the Dwarves began to move forward through the surf, the water running up to their chins at times, forcing them to hold their weapons above their heads.

The thunderers moved to a small sandbar to the left side of the ship, taking up firing positions while the remaining Dwarves moved towards the large throng of Orcs gathered around a campfire to the center. Meanwhile the Dwarven Miners, having thrown in their lot with Sheer and his crew, moved along the right flank, silently cursing at the wind and surf. Being above ground was one thing, but the water was a totally alien quality to the deep dwelling Dwarves.

user posted image

The Dwarves approached, undetected and moving with the surging waves. Several rogues waves moved past the Dwarves, forcing them to dig into the sand beneath their feet lest they be swept towards the Orcs. The wave proved costly to the assualt as several Dwarves, unable to resist the surge, were swept towards the shore,failing to plant their feet in time! Riding these waves, they were slammed into the rocky outcroppings, metal sparking and grinding. The Orcs nearby looked up in total surprise to see seveal Dwarves sprawled out on the sands before them!

Snatching up weapons, the greenskins snapped into action, charging the Dwarves that were emerging from behind the sandbars. From their vantage point to the left, the handgunners opened fire on the approaching Orcs, felling one and causing the others to dive for cover.

user posted image

All along the Orc front, the FishGitz rushed to join battle, leaping from the decks of the ruined ship and diving through the waves, using their strength and fish getups to aide in their speed, closing the distance with the Dwarves rapidly. Lummox the Troll, in a moment of clear thought, saw the Dwarves approach and lumbered off to intercept them.

user posted image

user posted image

Spying the leader of the Miners, Lummox let out a bellow, hefting his cannon club, and rushing the small demi human. Suddenly Skrager the slayer moved to intercept the Troll and a ferocious battle enrupted. Swinging the rusted cannon barrel in sweeping arcs, Lummox was set to smash the Dwarf into pulp. Sparks flew as the Slayer parried blow after blow with his twin axes, sweeping under the Trolls defenses and cutting large gashes in his blubbery flesh. Some of the slashes healed with sickening pops and gurgles while others spilled dark blood into the surf. Enraged, the Troll swung madly, smashing aside the whirling axes and landing a crushing blow into the ribs of the slayer. Skrager fell to the surf, several yards away and lay unmoving, his axes fallen into the waters around the sandbar.

user posted image

All around battles raged on! Dwarf versus Orc, in a war as old as the seas. Baddun the Black Orc made a good accounting of himself, felling several Miners and Eugen the Longbeard as well. The pile of fallen Dwarves was soon causing him to lose footing, nearly costing him his life as a Beardling pick swpet by his head. One of his ladz blocked the pick with his choppa, reversing the strike across the Dwarfs throat, ending his life in an instant.

user posted image

Captain Sheer saw the huge form of Lummox moving to engage the remaining Beardlings and drew his pistols, firing them in a fulsade of lead and dropping the Troll face down in the drink! Roaring with hatred of the greenskins he dropped his smoking guns and drew his axe, joining the melee involving the Miners.

user posted image

Oddgit the Shaman moved from the shadows of the wrecked ship, casting greenish fire from his fingertips as he closed with the Beardlings.

user posted image

One of the Dwarves erupted in flame, his waterlogged beard catching fire and forcing his from the combat with the Orcs.

user posted image

user posted image

Kaptain Brine finally joined the fray, sweeping into a unit of Miners, his rusty hook catching one of them in the gut, hurling him over the sandbar. Laying about with his club, the Kaptain felled several more Dwarves. Looking about him, the Kaptain saw many of his Orcs had fallen to the righteous fury of the Dwarves and decided to fight another day! Screetching a bone-chilling call, the Kaptain and the FishGitz fought a fighting withdrawl and dissappeared into the jungles beyond the ship. Realizing the day was lost, Niblet the Goblin swatted the Chief one more time across the nose for good measure and leapt overboard, joining the fleeing Orcs as they sought refuge beyond the maddened Dwarves.....

AFTERMATH:
The scenario yielded a great amount of captured gold and other treasures, the FisgGitz having hoarded a large amount of ill gotten booty! The Beardlings continued to increase in fighting prowess, gaining an extra attack while Sheer gained the abilty of Quick Shot. One Beardling was killed during the fighting but was replaced from among the crew compliment. Skrager again was none the worst for the wear but the crew bagan to wonder about the slayer, and his ability to get taken out of action with out really doing anything. During the nights they began to do cruel little jokes, such as placing his hand in a bowl of warm water or tying his bootstraps together.....

The Miners were overjoyed to reap the profits of the hoarded gold, celebrating their success into the night! No Miners were slain and gained an extra attack each!

And so with the rescue of the Chief, the Dwarves had secured their base of operations and now turned their attentions to the Lustrian jungle and all her secrets......

This post has been edited by Snagafang on Jul 25 2008, 12:37 PM
Goomb
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 07:06 PM

Generally Fluffy
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,967

DRAT! Too bad for the Fishgitz! I was hoping they would make short work of the miners and other stunties. Did you all have any special rules in place for the battle? I was curious about the orange cards you had by the Fishgitz in the opening part of the battle. What were those?

Looks like your ship was still in decent shape. Did you make the masts removable? I really like the ropes and ladders to get up to the crows nest and sails. How did you make those (or did you taken them from something else)?

Great read, mate! Love this campaign!

Goomb
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 07:25 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

QUOTE (Goomb @ Jul 20 2008, 07:06 PM)
DRAT!  Too bad for the Fishgitz!  I was hoping they would make short work of the miners and other stunties.  Did you all have any special rules in place for the battle?  I was curious about the orange cards you had by the Fishgitz in the opening part of the battle.  What were those?

Looks like your ship was still in decent shape.  Did you make the masts removable?  I really like the ropes and ladders to get up to the crows nest and sails.  How did you make those (or did you taken them from something else)?

Great read, mate!  Love this campaign!

Goomb

Goomb
Yeah. We used a bunch of special rules for the game. These included:

Movement:
The Dwarves treated all the areas of water as difficult ground, which meant they had a hard time getting through the water while the FishGitz moved as normal.

Rogue Waves:
At the start of each Dwarf turn, a d6 roll of 6 meant a surging rogue wave rushed across the shoals. ALL models wanting to hold their ground had to make a S check to remian in place. Or you could choose to let the wave move you 2d6 inches forward. The drawback was that if you collided with a land formation or another model, you were considered Knocked Down. The Dwarves that were far out in the water used the waves to close the distance quickly. In effect we had surfing Dwarves!

Hidden Markers: the markers next to the Orcs were hidden markers. Some of the FishGitz swam underwater in an attempt to get close to the Dwarves without being a target for their hand gunners!

As for the ship, yeah it was basically intact. I was not sure how I wanted to break it up yet. I do plan on shredding it though, as a sunken ship is always handy! I plan on distressing the ship this weekend though I dont see a need for it right away! The rope ladders and such are all parts of the mast and rigging. I have tons of them and plan on using them to further "sexy" up the wreckage!

We were forced to use the open table this week at the shop, hence all the background stuff in the pics. PLus as I had to play I didnt have time to get better pics which is dissapointing because I do try and keep all the "real life" junk out of the pics. But thats the price I had to pay for actually playing! My ringers were not avalaible to game this week so I had to do a stand-in.

Glad you are liking the game!

This post has been edited by Snagafang on Jul 20 2008, 07:27 PM
Goomb
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 10:46 PM

Generally Fluffy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,967

Those are some slick rules there, mate. Very nice! I really like the warband and Mordheim rules a lot. The games are fluffy and you can do a whole lot with a small force.

I might have to try to get some of those ladders built, Snaga. I am not looking forward to that!

Goomb
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 20 2008, 10:56 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

We like trying to add as much spice to the games as we can without having to do too much extra stuff. But it works so much better when you are telling a story vs adding in rules and stats for a gmae of one on one. And this was only the beach! They have no idea what is coming in the weeks ahead but it will certainlky test their courage and abilities! Again some of these things would unbalance a normal game but are fine with the narrative. Gonna have to paint a few dinosaurs soon....

We are using several custom Mordheim warbands as well, which I am going to post here for those that are curious. They are basic warbands from the core game with several interesting twists added in for fun!

Good luck with those riggings my friend, they took me about an hour each to twist around the dowels! I made enough for all five ships plus a few extras! It takes a certain amount of sick twisted patience.....

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Snagafang on Jul 20 2008, 10:57 PM
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 04:44 AM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

Hello snagafang,

great read I really loved reading the report. Keep them coming

Greetz
G
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 02:50 AM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

QUOTE (Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull @ Jul 21 2008, 04:44 AM)
Hello snagafang,

great read I really loved reading the report. Keep them coming

Greetz
G

Have no fear WGG,
The wardrums of the Skabi are getting louder and its certainly only a matter of time before the Stunty gitz find themselves in the stewpot! The greenskins need to strike back! biggrin.gif
Warboss Dragoneye
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 02:45 PM

Pyromaniac Goblin Warboss

Member No.: 3,489

Ehehehehe... Savage Skabis! Waaaaagh!

Forest Goblins are a particular favorite of mine. I'm curious to see how they play out against the stunties!
fauthsie
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 07:26 PM

Animosity Boyz

Member No.: 393

Excellent report as always Snaga

This post has been edited by fauthsie on Jul 23 2008, 07:26 PM
WarbossKurgan
Posted: Jul 24 2008, 11:07 AM

Swashbuckling Pirate Orc Admin!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 198

Awwwwww man! That was great. It has to be my favourite instalment so far Snaga! Its always good to see the FishGitz in action again.

Great work mate! fishman.gif
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 27 2008, 10:58 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

user posted image
WEEK FIVE: DEEPENING JUNGLE, TIMELESS BEAUTY

After pouring over the captured maps and charts from the ruined FishGitz vessel for days, it became very clear to Captain Sheer that the wrecked ship was no doubt part of greenskin BlackSquig fleet! The crude greenskin language was difficult to translate and sift through but what clues could be garnered by the Dwarves was that the pirate greenskins had come to Lustria in search of something the writer described as "Da Waterhole of Yoof" While having no idea what Da Waterhole was, the Dwarves assumed it must be some sort of hidden pirate port, perhaps this Yoof being the leader. The log went on to describe how the crew that had survived the shipwreck journeyed into the jungles on foot, the Kaptain hoping to find a way to rendezvous with the rest of the fleet and its Kommadore Veinthrob.

And so the Dwarves spent a day or two preparing themselves for the coming journey. Weapons were sharpened, provisions were packed and powder was stowed. Hefting packs, the landing party set out into the jungle and their destiny...

After being in the rain forests for over a fortnight now, the Dwarves were beginning to get a healthy respect for the jungle. Backs ached, boots were soaked through with primordial mud from the forests floor and exposed flesh was ravenously set upon by myriad swarms of bloated bloodsucking mosquitoes! The vines and tangled undergrowth was trampled here and there, making passage a bit easier, until the next turn revealed the jungle reclaiming its own. The noises became very familiar to the Dwarves, the squawks, the chattering, the same silences. The canopy overhead was so thick that it became hard to determine if it was day or night. From time to time, birds such as a green conquer or spectacular quetzals would flash by, forcing even the short demi humans to duck their heads!

Hacking further into the jungle, one of the Beardlings yelled back to Sheer.

"Captain! Best be coming forward to see this."

Stomping forward through the oozing mud covered ground, Sheer parted the low lying thicket beyond the Beardling with his pistol barrel. Beyond the large ferns and cattails was a large jungle clearing, steeped in a thin mist. Towering over the clearing was a large pyramid-like structure, surrounded by overgrown ruins. The entire area was completely silent now, even as the sun above began burning off the morning mist. Glittering in the sunlight was the telltale flash of gold. Gold from an immense gong hanging atop the pyramid, gold from the crude rendering of serpents on the various faces of the pyramid. Gold for the taking!

user posted image

The Miners burst past Sheer, their eyes firmly fixed on the gold they could see before them, throwing caution to the wind. And it cost them as several of them fell prey to a spiked pit on the southern edge of the clearing. Sheer could only shake his head at their foolishness, and ordered the Beardlings to lower some ropes to the Miners. While the group set about freeing the Miners from the pit, the rest of the group surveyed the ruins with a more cautious eye....

user posted image

user posted image

Once the Miners were patched up and ready to move on, Sheer ordered the group to advance, the Miners taking the left flank, the Thunderers taking the right and the rest moving up the middle.
user posted image

Moving towards the glittering monument of the Old Ones, the Dwarves marveled at its construction and stonework. While gazing at the structure, the warband came under sudden attack! Rocks and arrows peppered the warband from the bushes beyond, a Beardling falling to a well place stone and a Miner falling to the ground, clutching his leg and trying to pull out the two black fletched arrows embedded there! The Dwarves were quick to react, the Thunderers putting shots into the bushes and the Miners rushing up their flank to try and outflank their ambushers.

The brush on the far side of clearing parted and an enormous white horse galloped into the clearing, an unnaturally beautiful woman in the saddle! A bone chilling shriek erupted from her lips as she spurred her steed towards the Dwarves, a glittering spear in one hand and an ornate staff in the other. Suddenly the jungle exploded with motion as more of the warrior woman appeared in places the Dwarves would swear were empty but a second ago!

user posted image

user posted image

The warrior women shrieked as they charged, releasing arrows and stones at the Dwarves as they came. Sheer ordered the Thunderers to open fire and drive the she-demons back into the undergrowth! Fire and smoke spoke from the barrels of their handguns, mowing down several of the women and forcing the rest to take cover beyond the ruins, where they moved with feline grace to circle around the Dwarven flank. Right into the onrushing miners! Dwarf, human and horse all meant in a swirling melee to the left of the ruins, steel ringing out across the clearing, stirring up the silent jungle.

user posted image

A strange priestess, in robes of snakeskin and feathers, chanted at the Dwarves, and the ground erupted in swarms of biting and stinging insects. These creatures crawled all over the fighting Miners, causing them to swat at their eyes, cover mouths and let down their guard against the mini onslaught. The woman fought like banshees, parrying clumsy Dwarven blows and striking down their enemies.

Rounding the ruins, Sheer was shocked to see that the Miners were falling to these woman like ripe wheat stalks! Pulling his pistols, Sheer, Skrager and Eugen roared forward to aid their brothers! As they fought their way towards the melee, they were set upon by more of the warrior woman, as they sprang out of the ground from concealed pits and struck the Dwarves hard. Sheer was forced back into Eugen, the two of them falling to the muddy ground, where the woman battered & clubbed them senseless. Skrager moved to save his Laid and caught an arrow in the throat for his troubles, joining them on the ground!

The tide of battle was surging in the warrior woman’s favor when The Miners struck back. A high swing at the leader of woman succeeded in unhorsing her, casting her into the brush where she did not rise again. Several more of their warriors were cut down by the newly fighty Miners!

user posted image

Even as the nerve of the Dwarf Mariners broke, the Miners pressed home their attack and drove the remaining women from the clearing, taking their dead and wounded with them. The Miners had turned the tide of battle in an instant and the Dwarves gained possession of the Tower of Timelessness, as its marking proclaimed it to be....

user posted image

AFTERMATH:
Well, the Dwarves managed to capture the Tower of Timlessness, despite the mariners routing off the field when they were forced to make their first Rout test!
The Beardlings are becoming a terror to be sure! They have increased to +1 S and +1 attack. All the fallen Dwarves were OK after the battle, Sheer gaining Quick Draw, letting him shoot twice per round so long as he had a brace of pistols.

The Miners found the motherload of gold! Searching the Tower revealed lots of gold and Lizardman treasures. Using the gold found there enabled the Miners to recuit more Miners to their cause as well as a much needed Sapper! They alos found a pouch of Crimson Shade amid the trampled ground of the melee with the lead warrior woman. This they gave to the Slayer, in hopes he would FINALLY do something helpful during coming combats! LOL!

The scenario itself used the rules for concealed Amazons, pit traps and Amazon magic, which atually worked a few times against the Dwarves, unlike the gobbo magic in earlier battles. Possession of the Tower gives the Dwarves +1 to their Scouting rolls for territories within 3 spaces of the Tower itself which is located in Area# 59. Since they can add +1, it is more likely the Scouts will return with accurate info and impossible for them to not return. Basically the golden gong can be seen above the canopy, acting as a becon for the returning scouts.

And so the adventure continues.......

*As a side note, I was forced to play this week because of folks with real life work stuff interfering! I was not able to get as many quality pics as I normally would and thus I apologize for the lack quality pics. And all the real "store" items in some of the pics. Gah! I will make it up to you next time out. Promise!

This post has been edited by Snagafang on Sep 27 2008, 03:14 PM
Snagafang
Posted: Jul 27 2008, 11:13 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

BTW, I received this great piece of fan art. I was quite surprised to find it in my Inbox, and thought I would share!

user posted image

This post has been edited by Snagafang on Jul 27 2008, 11:14 PM
fauthsie
Posted: Jul 27 2008, 11:19 PM

Animosity Boyz

Member No.: 393

Another great report Snaga. The terrain was great and I love the Amazons.
WarbossKurgan
Posted: Jul 28 2008, 07:00 AM

Swashbuckling Pirate Orc Admin!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 198

QUOTE (Snagafang @ Jul 27 2008, 11:13 PM)
BTW, I received this great piece of fan art. I was quite surprised to find it in my Inbox, and thought I would share!

Lummox! fishman.gif
Who drew it Snaga? It's great!
« Next Oldest | Wot Weeze Wrote Good | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (11) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1210 seconds | Archive