InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Unit sizes, What unit sizes do you use?
LordDhaphaos
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 05:18 PM

The one and only git

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

What unit sizes do you use for your Orcs?

I have 2 units of 19 (as they came in the boxes that way). I also have 16 savage Orcs, as they are from the old box.

I am thinking of getting another box andadding them to the units I have to make them larger and more balanced. How would you divide them up?

What do you arm your Savage Orcs with, as I have them armed with spears at the moment (from the previous edition), but I think that I will remove them and give them just a choppa.

My normal orcs are currently armed with 2 choppas as I thought that it would be best, cos double the number of attacks will cause more wounds than just +1 strength.

Thanks. rolleyes.gif
Chuffy the koala
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 05:49 PM

Some sort of vibe bandit

Member No.: 13

my goblin units are always 35-40 strong and my orc units are usually 20-30 strong. my orc units are armed with spears, additional hand weapons, sheilds and my big uns are armed with sheilds. goblins are always armed with spears.
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 06:08 PM

Warpath! Warlord
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

My Orc units are always over 25 strong, but are usually 30. This means that it will require 8 casualties to cause a panic test for 25% casualties due to shooting or magic.

My Goblin units are always over 30 but normally 34-36. This means that it will require 8 or 9 casualties to cause a 25% panic test due to shooting or magic. I always make sure my Goblin units outnumber my Orc units too, for reasons I described in the "Orc and Goblin Infantry Block Formations" article I have on the main site.
LordDhaphaos
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 06:31 PM

The one and only git

Member No.: 20

My 2 Night Goblin units are about 41 I think! 5 wide, 8 deep! They have shield and spear, with 2 netters in each and 2 or 3 fanatics, dependant on whether I have another unit of 20 bowmen.

I will definately buy another box, and arm my orcs with additional hand weapons like the rest of the units that I currently have. All of the units will be 24, with one (the Big Uns) at 25.
Dansan
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 09:56 PM

Da Green Goblin
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 17

I keep relatively small units. 20 for normal orcs, 25 for BigUns, 30 for night goblins... I still haven't decided what is better: even bigger units, or more of the "small" ones... I usually have the 3 ranks and the unit strength anyway, so why actually increase the number of models? It also depends a lot on what army I am fighting, for bolt throwers and especially cannons will rip through larger units with ease...
Snotteef
Posted: Jan 7 2004, 11:04 PM

Lord of All and Nothing

Member No.: 8

I think the extra numbers are the way to go. Orcs are great right at 30 and goblins do well in the 35-40 range. The reason has already been partially explained. Big units take less panic tests for shooting. It also takes longer to remove the rank bonus and almost insures outnumbering.

ninja.gif ninja.gif ninja.gif
Whitesox
Posted: Jan 8 2004, 02:50 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 23

hmm i normally keep regiments of orcs at 25 (4 front, 5 deep if armed with choppas, 5 front, 4 deep if armed with spears) and my gobbo at 40... i use my gobbos for the ranks and out numbering and my orcs, monsters and warmachines for killing.. its all down to personal choice.. what units work best varies from person to person..

..whitesox out..
John Bailey
Posted: Jan 8 2004, 03:37 PM

Unregistered

Hey guys, just found this forum, good ta see da ladz talk fightin' know-wotz!

Where is the "main site" that has the unit size article, I'm curious.

I tend to run my SO's (one big un, one not) in blocks of 26 (a couple casualties to give for panic and maintaining ranks while taking fire), with a block of normal boyz to help block unwanted frency movement.

Gobbos I haven't really gotten into much, other than night gobbos, and I just run them minimal size with fanatics.

--
john
Budro
Posted: Jan 8 2004, 03:39 PM

That'll do pig...

Member No.: 12

Depends partly on point value and whether it's an "all-comer" list or not.

On all-comer list at largish point value:

NG units: I have one at 45, with hw&shield, musician, 5 netters, 3 fanatics and one unit of 40 with spear/shield, musician, 5 netters, & 3 fanatics

gobbo: my "'ard grots" - love these guys - 30 (probably will expand out to 40 at some point) with full command, hw&shield&lightarmour. They are remarkably resilent with a 4+ save in hth.

Orcs: between 25-30 with either choppa only or 2choppas, full command, I'm undecided on what works best right now.

Big Uns: 25-30 with spears & shields, full command, banner of butchery usually. I often run the boss or BSB with this unit.

Black Orcs: 25-30 with either 2 choppas or Great Weapons, full command, sometimes if I have the points I'll give them a magic standard.

the only Savage Orcs that I have are a mixed armed unit from 5th edition (half the army is 5th, half is 6th blink.gif ), so I can take them (15 btw) either as spear/shield or club/shield. I'm more likely to take them as spear/shield I suppose.
dabigboss
Posted: Jan 10 2004, 12:37 PM

dabigboss

Member No.: 29

Gday mate
I like Orcs in unit sizes of 25 and have made my Gobbo units 30 strong. Havnt yet used them so may change it as I see how my list does.
Wolfriders I like as 5-7 fast cav and 15 or 20 for Wolfriders with Light armour.

dabigboss
Elfzag
Posted: Jan 11 2004, 03:18 AM

Goblin Braaaaains.....
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 25

Hehe I've currently got more posts than Dabigboss... biggrin.gif

anyway...

My units are kind of on the small side as well. the biggest unit(s) are the goblins (common & night) at 35-strong each.

The orc units are moderately sized; one (normal orcs) are 30-strong, the Big 'Uns are 18 (they came in the starter kit), 14 for the arrer boyz (same reason, plus i killed 2 to make my warboss models). Due to the fact that I donverted most of them (see this post) my black orcs only number 12.

Cheers!

Borzag (aka Gorknmork at the GW forums)
« Next Oldest | Orc and Goblin Stronghold | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1144 seconds | Archive