InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 10th Conversion Competition: Cavalry Edition - ENTER HERE!

Warfare With The Gobbos, 2200 point Goblins Tournament
Gobso
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 05:43 PM

Orc

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,511

Heyall, I’ve been rotating through my armies in 8th edition, but have come back to my favoured Goblins, and took them to a small tournament nearby recently, called Warfare. The comp was quite strong, especially on the nastiest armies of 8th edition, but it made for some good games.

Here’s what I took, all Goblins, no stinkin’ Orcs:
Goblin Warboss, Great weapon, Armour of Destiny, Potion of Strength
Night Goblin Great Shaman, Level 4, Earthing Rod, Ruby Ring, Talisman of Preservation
Night Goblin Big Boss Battle Standard Bearer, Light armour, Shield, Standard of Discipline
Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll
45 Night Goblins, Nets, Full command, 1 Fanatic
35 Night Goblins, Nets, Short Bows, Full command, 1 Fanatic
20 Goblins, Shields, Short bows, Full command, 3 Nasty Skulkers
5 Spider Riders, Musician
Squig Herd with 14 Squigs, 6 Herders
2 single Wolf Chariots
6 Trolls
2 Rock Lobbers
Doom Diver
Arachnarok Spider

So all in all, pretty balanced, and hopefully able to do damage in every phase.

Game 1 – vs Colin’s Beastmen

Oddly enough we had a fair few Beastmen at this tournament, and so I was drawn to play one for my first game. Here’s roughly what he had:

Beastlord, Fencer’s Blades, stuff
Death Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4, Jagged Dagger, Talisman of Preservation
Wargor BSB, Beast Banner, 2+ armour
Level 2 Beast Beay-shaman, Herdstone
2 x Shadow Bray-Shaman
2 x 30 Gor, AHW, Full command
2 x ~10 Gor
5 Tuskgor Chariots
5 Harpies

For spells, my Level 1 had the sig spell, and Level 4 has Vindictive Glare, Gift of the Spider God, Itchy Nuisance and Curse of Da Bad Moon. The Death Shaman didn’t go for many character snipe spells thankfully, taking Soulblight, Curse of Bhuna, Doom and Darkness and Purple Sun. Beasts had Wildform and Curse of Anraheir, and between them the Shadow Shamans had Pit of Shades and Miasma.

His three lower level Shamans went in the small unit by the Herdstone, but the Death Shaman went with his BSB and Lord into the large unit of Gor. My BSB and Warboss actually deployed on their own as a unit of two characters at the back of the army, in case of ambushers. Here’s how we deployed:

user posted image

The Beastmen won the roll for first turn, and two ambushing Beast Herds showed up in my deployment zone! A smaller one appeared near my Goblins in the village at the west, and the huge unit appeared on the right flank near my Squig Herd. However, due to how close I had deployed to the flank, they couldn’t get out of line of sight. The rest of the Beastmen moves were fairly simple, heading straight for me, with the Harpies dashing down the flank by the village. Magic saw an attempt on Miasma to weaken my Squig Herd dispelled, Curse of Anraheir on the Night Goblin Archers, before an attempt at the large version of Purple Sun failed to cast, so an easy first turn for me!

My Squig Herd charged the big Gor ambushers, and fought well enough to win combat and break them! As they were so close to the flank they fled off, and the Herders passed their LD test to reform to start going back up the flank. However, the appearance of two big units had caused me some problems, and my Lord and BSB moved up to allow the elite Goblin unit to pass their swift reform test and face the other small ambushing unit. However, to get there, the Trolls would have to take stupidity unaided next turn! My Great Shaman had also been hanging out alone so he joined the Goblin unit for safety. Finally, my Spider Riders zoomed up an inch from the hugeblock to slow them down.

Magic saw a fireball kill a pair of the ambushers, and the big Gor block made a bit Itchy. The Doom Diver then killed a pair of Harpies, causing the rest to flee off the board, and the Rock Lobbers took out a Chariot. Some shortbow shots plinked off a wound from a chariot and a couple of ambushers, who passed their panic.

The Beastmen declared some charges for turn 2, with three Chariots declaring charges on the Night Goblin Archers; one was pounded into dust by the Fanatics released, while the damaged chariot took another wound, and the third chariot failing its charge. The surviving ambushers charged into the Goblin unit, but the Nasty Skulkers were ready for them, leaving only a couple of survivors who didn’t manage much damage, before the rest of the Goblins scalped them. The huge unit went into the Spider Riders and killed them easily, the Bray Shaman gaining a power dice for killing a Spider Rider. Magic saw the big Beastmen block buffed with Wildform and the Night Goblins Archers Cursed once again. Several Archers were crushed by the Chariot, but they held easily.

user posted image

A Wolf Chariot countercharged the Tuskgor Chariot, but before it could smash it to pieces, a fanatic whirled through it and the Night Goblin Archers, killing several of them as it smashed apart the enemy chariot! This was interesting as it freed up my Goblins to shoot that turn; I cast Gift of the Spider God on them, so that they would be able to instantly wound on 6s to hit vs the final chariot on that side- taking it down to 1 wound. Meanwhile the Trolls blundered forwards stupidly and the army readied itself for war, with artillery targeting the smaller unit left, but scattering mostly.

The main Beastmen block tried for a long charge, but failed to reach. The crippled chariot covered their flank to try and protect them. Magic saw a small Purple Sun cast irresistibly by the Death Shaman, which went off and blasted through my Trolls, wiping out 5 of them, ouch! The Death Shaman lost 1 magic level and the Purple Sun spell. He still had lots of dice, so then went for a Curse of Bhuna on my Warboss. I didn’t have enough dice to stop it, and didn’t want to use my scroll (as it would be key for the later combats), so let him have it, but he rolled up 12 for basic number of hits! It was brown trouser moment, but with 8 hits, 3 wounded and I warded them all like a pro.

In retaliation, the Arachnarok charged the main Got block, hoping to assassinate some characters, while my left Chariot hit the chariot on their flank, easily busting through it and overrunning into the Gors’ flank to fight again that turn. I moved up my main block as you can see here, so that if the combat continued for a while, I could charge in and not many of us would have to fight!

user posted image

My magic had been poor that turn, and the Arachnarok flailed wildly as it tried to take out his BSB to remove the nasty Beast Banner which I correctly guessed he had. The chariot impacts and Spider’s thunderstomp only killed a couple of Gor, and the enemy BSB only took 1 wound from the Spider’s attacks. The Chariot was smashed in return and the Spider took a few wounds- not good! He held on LD9 stubborn anyway.

From there, the Beastmen augmented the Gor block while the Spider took more and more damage, and was eventually killed. We ran out of time by about turn 5, with my magic and shooting killing all of the small block except for the Herdstone Shaman, who survived on 1 wound. His last Chariot, with 1 wound left himself, smashed into my 1 remaining Troll, dealing only 2 wounds before he was smashed apart in return. The Troll ended the game on 1 wound left out of the 18 I began with, to save his points!

Finally, I was left with the option of charging the big block with my main block, plus the Squigs in the flank and the last Troll. However, I simply had too much to lose, as they had been buffed with Wildform, and my BSB would more than likely be killed, plus many others. Instead, with the Great Bray Shaman on the corner, my Squig Herd tried it by themselves, hoping for some lucky damage. Instead, both other characters made way and killed all the Squigs before they could strike! The Herders failed their break test, I wasn’t sure if they exploded or fled, but it mattered not, as the comp gave points for them anyway. In the end, I had killed a fair bit more than him, for a 12-8 win, huzzah!

Good game, the main enemy unit was too nasty to really engage, certainly not without the Arachnarok managing to knock off the BSB. Still, pleased to start the day with a win, and it was off to fight some dirty Dark Elves…
Malduran
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 08:57 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 3,566

Very nice battle report mate, i cant wait for the next one. Your army looks great n all. Any more pics of them wouldcbe great.
Squigkikka
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 06:03 PM

Waaagh!

Member No.: 5,573

Lovely report! I'd like to chime in on something the Beastman player did wrong though (by mistake or purpose I don't know). He IFed the purple sun and lost a 1 level you say, but then kept on casting! The Wizard suffering that particular miscast result is not allowed to cast more during the phase and so shouldn't have been able to Curse of Bjuna. You got lucky on the ward saves, but it's good to know 'til next time!

Did he look up the miscast result? Or did you? Or did you just go from memory? tongue.gif
Gobso
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 03:25 PM

Orc

Oh hey that's good to know, thanks! I'll update with another battle soon...
Gobso
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 05:42 PM

Orc

Game 2 - vs Andy’s Dark Elves

So, game 2, against one of my best wargaming buddies and his Dark Elves. He had, roughly:
Level 4 Death, +1LD, Lifetaker
Level 2 Shadow, extra spell, +1DD
Cauldron BSB
Killy Assassin
30 Corsairs, Sea Serpent Banner
12 Crossbowmen, Shields
25 Spearmen, Standard of Discipline
5 Harpies
20 Black Guard
10 Shades

The scenario was the diagonal one, except with alternate deployment, no units being delayed and a standard roll-off for first turn. As my opponent had gone for a wander a bit too long I took advantage and did lots of measurements and planned my deployment pretty meticulously. There were two houses in his deployment area that he could’ve gone in, so I made sure my 3 warmachines were within 60” to bombard them if he wanted to set up in them. In the end, he set up close to the frontline, with his Super Sorceress’ unshielded unit of Warriors in a single rank to avoid being smashed by the rock lobbers, and so I placed my Arachnarok in front of them Black Guard and Chariots in front of the Corsairs.

Getting first turn is extremely important vs Dark Elves, as it means their Cauldron of Blood will spend a turn without benefit for them- very useful for the initial bombardment. The tournament organiser had decided that Scouts would affect the +1 for first turn, and I very happily got it as a result. This meant that after my first movement phase, we had this setup:

user posted image

It wasn’t all good though, as my two main blocks squabbled with each other, including both my Shamans, so I wouldn’t be getting any magical support! Shooting made up for it though, as an indirect Doom Diver shot panicked the Harpies off the table, and one Rock Lobber hit the Shades very nicely, killing a shopping 6 of them, although they passed panic.

Combat was again a mixed bag, as the Chariots killed a whopping 8 Corsairs, before the Assassin popped out! However, him and his cohorts couldn’t quite finish off the left Chariot, and so the Gobbos struck back and took him out! The other Chariot was destroyed, but I’d won combat nicely and knocked the frenzy out of them. The Arachnarok fight didn’t go so well unfortunately, as the Black Guard managed a whopping 4 wounds on it. Only 6 were killed in return and they passed their break test.

The druchii struck back slowly but surely, the Super Sorceress reforming her unit, while the Shades snuck up my rear (ooer). Magic was a bit depressing as I had to use my Scroll, as I really wanted my Arachnarok to live, but it wasn’t to be, and it was cut to pieces anyway. A Death snipe on my level 1 Shaman was also miscast, killing several of the Warriors and even a couple of Corsairs, but killed my poor little Shaman outright (The TO again made a ruling, that the Shaman should use his own unmodified leadership, rather than the leadership of my Warboss. I disagree, but fair enough). The Shades had 8 shots on the Rock Lobber that had smashed them, and managed to deal all 3 wounds to it, which sucked!

Things weren’t looking so hot, and we were both pretty hesistant about engaging from now on. The Shades were killed off after several attempts, and the other Dark Elf units all took a battering, but not enough to gain any points. In the next Dark Elf turn a Pit of Shades followed by a Purple Sun all but annihilated the Trolls, the final one trying to escape behind a hill, but eventually being hit again and killed. My Spider Riders were forced to charge the Corsairs due to animosity (even though I’d approached facing the other way), and 4 died, the survivor fleeing off the enemy’s table edge. Meanwhile the Squig Herd made its way around the flank, and my main block tempted the Black Guard and Corsairs to make a combo charge; both failed, leaving the Squig Herd a beautiful flank charge on the Corsairs with Super Sorceress! But since they’d have the frenzy beaten out of them, they fled happily, and rallied to survive the game.

My big plan throughout was to get the poison spell off on the Shortbow goblins and unleash hell upon the T10 Cauldron of Blood. But between squabbling and mushroom dice, this never came to fruition, and the Cauldron survived on 2 wounds left.

The game ended without much actual action after the first turn, and the Dark Elves won a very tactical, low-scoring 12-8 victory! Tough game, dice were all over the place, but a fair result. Me and Andy had had an awesome game the previous year where my Goblins had smashed his Dark Elves (despite my very nearly conceding early!), so he got his revenge.

So after that, hopefully a softer match-up next. Instead, Daemons with a Bloodthirster. Good thing I brought my Rock Lobbers! (Spoiler: they didn’t do a single wound to it in the entire game...)
Gobso
Posted: Dec 20 2011, 12:33 AM

Orc

2200 point Goblins Tournament

Heyall, I’ve been rotating through my armies in 8th edition, but have come back to my favoured Goblins, and took them to a small tournament nearby recently. The comp was quite strong, especially on the nastiest armies of 8th edition, but it made for some good games.

Here’s what I took, all Goblins, no stinkin’ Orcs:
Goblin Warboss, Great weapon, Armour of Destiny, Potion of Strength
Night Goblin Great Shaman, Level 4, Earthing Rod, Ruby Ring, Talisman of Preservation
Night Goblin Big Boss Battle Standard Bearer, Light armour, Shield, Standard of Discipline
Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll
45 Night Goblins, Nets, Full command, 1 Fanatic
35 Night Goblins, Nets, Short Bows, Full command, 1 Fanatic
20 Goblins, Shields, Short bows, Full command, 3 Nasty Skulkers
5 Spider Riders, Musician
Squig Herd with 14 Squigs, 6 Herders
2 single Wolf Chariots
6 Trolls
2 Rock Lobbers
Doom Diver
Arachnarok Spider

So all in all, pretty balanced, and hopefully able to do damage in every phase.

Game 1 – vs Colin’s Beastmen

Oddly enough we had a fair few Beastmen at this tournament, and so I was drawn to play one for my first game. Here’s roughly what he had:

Beastlord, Fencer’s Blades, stuff
Death Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4, Jagged Dagger, Talisman of Preservation
Wargor BSB, Beast Banner, 2+ armour
Level 2 Beast Beay-shaman, Herdstone
2 x Shadow Bray-Shaman
2 x 30 Gor, AHW, Full command
2 x ~10 Gor
5 Tuskgor Chariots
5 Harpies

For spells, my Level 1 had the sig spell, and Level 4 has Vindictive Glare, Gift of the Spider God, Itchy Nuisance and Curse of Da Bad Moon. The Death Shaman didn’t go for many character snipe spells thankfully, taking Soulblight, Curse of Bhuna, Doom and Darkness and Purple Sun. Beasts had Wildform and Curse of Anraheir, and between them the Shadow Shamans had Pit of Shades and Miasma.

His three lower level Shamans went in the small unit by the Herdstone, but the Death Shaman went with his BSB and Lord into the large unit of Gor. My BSB and Warboss actually deployed on their own as a unit of two characters at the back of the army, in case of ambushers. Here’s how we deployed:

user posted image

The Beastmen won the roll for first turn, and two ambushing Beast Herds showed up in my deployment zone! A smaller one appeared near my Goblins in the village at the west, and the huge unit appeared on the right flank near my Squig Herd. However, due to how close I had deployed to the flank, they couldn’t get out of line of sight. The rest of the Beastmen moves were fairly simple, heading straight for me, with the Harpies dashing down the flank by the village. Magic saw an attempt on Miasma to weaken my Squig Herd dispelled, Curse of Anraheir on the Night Goblin Archers, before an attempt at the large version of Purple Sun failed to cast, so an easy first turn for me!

My Squig Herd charged the big Gor ambushers, and fought well enough to win combat and break them! As they were so close to the flank they fled off, and the Herders passed their LD test to reform to start going back up the flank. However, the appearance of two big units had caused me some problems, and my Lord and BSB moved up to allow the elite Goblin unit to pass their swift reform test and face the other small ambushing unit. However, to get there, the Trolls would have to take stupidity unaided next turn! My Great Shaman had also been hanging out alone so he joined the Goblin unit for safety. Finally, my Spider Riders zoomed up an inch from the hugeblock to slow them down.

Magic saw a fireball kill a pair of the ambushers, and the big Gor block made a bit Itchy. The Doom Diver then killed a pair of Harpies, causing the rest to flee off the board, and the Rock Lobbers took out a Chariot. Some shortbow shots plinked off a wound from a chariot and a couple of ambushers, who passed their panic.

The Beastmen declared some charges for turn 2, with three Chariots declaring charges on the Night Goblin Archers; one was pounded into dust by the Fanatics released, while the damaged chariot took another wound, and the third chariot failing its charge. The surviving ambushers charged into the Goblin unit, but the Nasty Skulkers were ready for them, leaving only a couple of survivors who didn’t manage much damage, before the rest of the Goblins scalped them. The huge unit went into the Spider Riders and killed them easily, the Bray Shaman gaining a power dice for killing a Spider Rider. Magic saw the big Beastmen block buffed with Wildform and the Night Goblins Archers Cursed once again. Several Archers were crushed by the Chariot, but they held easily.

user posted image

A Wolf Chariot countercharged the Tuskgor Chariot, but before it could smash it to pieces, a fanatic whirled through it and the Night Goblin Archers, killing several of them as it smashed apart the enemy chariot! This was interesting as it freed up my Goblins to shoot that turn; I cast Gift of the Spider God on them, so that they would be able to instantly wound on 6s to hit vs the final chariot on that side- taking it down to 1 wound. Meanwhile the Trolls blundered forwards stupidly and the army readied itself for war, with artillery targeting the smaller unit left, but scattering mostly.

The main Beastmen block tried for a long charge, but failed to reach. The crippled chariot covered their flank to try and protect them. Magic saw a small Purple Sun cast irresistibly by the Death Shaman, which went off and blasted through my Trolls, wiping out 5 of them, ouch! The Death Shaman lost 1 magic level and the Purple Sun spell. He still had lots of dice, so then went for a Curse of Bhuna on my Warboss. I didn’t have enough dice to stop it, and didn’t want to use my scroll (as it would be key for the later combats), so let him have it, but he rolled up 12 for basic number of hits! It was brown trouser moment, but with 8 hits, 3 wounded and I warded them all like a pro.

In retaliation, the Arachnarok charged the main Got block, hoping to assassinate some characters, while my left Chariot hit the chariot on their flank, easily busting through it and overrunning into the Gors’ flank to fight again that turn. I moved up my main block as you can see here, so that if the combat continued for a while, I could charge in and not many of us would have to fight!

user posted image

My magic had been poor that turn, and the Arachnarok flailed wildly as it tried to take out his BSB to remove the nasty Beast Banner which I correctly guessed he had. The chariot impacts and Spider’s thunderstomp only killed a couple of Gor, and the enemy BSB only took 1 wound from the Spider’s attacks. The Chariot was smashed in return and the Spider took a few wounds- not good! He held on LD9 stubborn anyway.

From there, the Beastmen augmented the Gor block while the Spider took more and more damage, and was eventually killed. We ran out of time by about turn 5, with my magic and shooting killing all of the small block except for the Herdstone Shaman, who survived on 1 wound. His last Chariot, with 1 wound left himself, smashed into my 1 remaining Troll, dealing only 2 wounds before he was smashed apart in return. The Troll ended the game on 1 wound left out of the 18 I began with, to save his points!

Finally, I was left with the option of charging the big block with my main block, plus the Squigs in the flank and the last Troll. However, I simply had too much to lose, as they had been buffed with Wildform, and my BSB would more than likely be killed, plus many others. Instead, with the Great Bray Shaman on the corner, my Squig Herd tried it by themselves, hoping for some lucky damage. Instead, both other characters made way and killed all the Squigs before they could strike! The Herders failed their break test, I wasn’t sure if they exploded or fled, but it mattered not, as the comp gave points for them anyway. In the end, I had killed a fair bit more than him, for a 12-8 win, huzzah!

Good game, the main enemy unit was too nasty to really engage, certainly not without the Arachnarok managing to knock off the BSB. Still, pleased to start the day with a win, and it was off to fight some dirty Dark Elves…

Game 2 - vs Andy’s Dark Elves

So, game 2, against one of my best wargaming buddies and his Dark Elves. He had, roughly:
Level 4 Death, +1LD, Lifetaker
Level 2 Shadow, extra spell, +1DD
Cauldron BSB
Killy Assassin
30 Corsairs, Sea Serpent Banner
12 Crossbowmen, Shields
25 Spearmen, Standard of Discipline
5 Harpies
20 Black Guard
10 Shades

The scenario was the diagonal one, except with alternate deployment, no units being delayed and a standard roll-off for first turn. As my opponent had gone for a wander a bit too long I took advantage and did lots of measurements and planned my deployment pretty meticulously. There were two houses in his deployment area that he could’ve gone in, so I made sure my 3 warmachines were within 60” to bombard them if he wanted to set up in them. In the end, he set up close to the frontline, with his Super Sorceress’ unshielded unit of Warriors in a single rank to avoid being smashed by the rock lobbers, and so I placed my Arachnarok in front of them Black Guard and Chariots in front of the Corsairs.

Getting first turn is extremely important vs Dark Elves, as it means their Cauldron of Blood will spend a turn without benefit for them- very useful for the initial bombardment. The tournament organiser had decided that Scouts would affect the +1 for first turn, and I very happily got it as a result. This meant that after my first movement phase, we had this setup:

user posted image

It wasn’t all good though, as my two main blocks squabbled with each other, including both my Shamans, so I wouldn’t be getting any magical support! Shooting made up for it though, as an indirect Doom Diver shot panicked the Harpies off the table, and one Rock Lobber hit the Shades very nicely, killing a shopping 6 of them, although they passed panic.

Combat was again a mixed bag, as the Chariots killed a whopping 8 Corsairs, before the Assassin popped out! However, him and his cohorts couldn’t quite finish off the left Chariot, and so the Gobbos struck back and took him out! The other Chariot was destroyed, but I’d won combat nicely and knocked the frenzy out of them. The Arachnarok fight didn’t go so well unfortunately, as the Black Guard managed a whopping 4 wounds on it. Only 6 were killed in return and they passed their break test.

The druchii struck back slowly but surely, the Super Sorceress reforming her unit, while the Shades snuck up my rear (ooer). Magic was a bit depressing as I had to use my Scroll, as I really wanted my Arachnarok to live, but it wasn’t to be, and it was cut to pieces anyway. A Death snipe on my level 1 Shaman was also miscast, killing several of the Warriors and even a couple of Corsairs, but killed my poor little Shaman outright (The TO again made a ruling, that the Shaman should use his own unmodified leadership, rather than the leadership of my Warboss. I disagree, but fair enough). The Shades had 8 shots on the Rock Lobber that had smashed them, and managed to deal all 3 wounds to it, which sucked!

Things weren’t looking so hot, and we were both pretty hesistant about engaging from now on. The Shades were killed off after several attempts, and the other Dark Elf units all took a battering, but not enough to gain any points. In the next Dark Elf turn a Pit of Shades followed by a Purple Sun all but annihilated the Trolls, the final one trying to escape behind a hill, but eventually being hit again and killed. My Spider Riders were forced to charge the Corsairs due to animosity (even though I’d approached facing the other way), and 4 died, the survivor fleeing off the enemy’s table edge. Meanwhile the Squig Herd made its way around the flank, and my main block tempted the Black Guard and Corsairs to make a combo charge; both failed, leaving the Squig Herd a beautiful flank charge on the Corsairs with Super Sorceress! But since they’d have the frenzy beaten out of them, they fled happily, and rallied to survive the game.

My big plan throughout was to get the poison spell off on the Shortbow goblins and unleash hell upon the T10 Cauldron of Blood. But between squabbling and mushroom dice, this never came to fruition, and the Cauldron survived on 2 wounds left.

The game ended without much actual action after the first turn, and the Dark Elves won a very tactical, low-scoring 12-8 victory! Tough game, dice were all over the place, but a fair result. Me and Andy had had an awesome game the previous year where my Goblins had smashed his Dark Elves (despite my very nearly conceding early!), so he got his revenge.

So after that, hopefully a softer match-up next. Instead, Daemons with a Bloodthirster. Good thing I brought my Rock Lobbers! (Spoiler: they didn’t do a single wound to it in the entire game)

Game 3 vs Ian’s Daemons

So, the third game of the day, and a pretty normal scenario, but 150VPs available for each table quarter held by a unit with 5+ models in it. Ian’s Daemons consisted of:
Bloodthirster, Str 10
Tzeentch Herald on Disc, Dispel icon, Master of Shadow
Nurgle Herald
Khorne Herald BSB, Stubborn Icon
27 Bloodletters, FC, +D6” charge Icon
30 Plaguebearers, FC, re-roll wounds Icon
2 single Fiends
2 single Bloocrusher champions
4 Flamers

The most important thing regarding deployment was my warmachines were at the centre-west, which would allow Billy the Bloodthirster to avoid my double rock-lock lobbers, if he wanted to skirt the north-east table edge. By doing that of course, he’d have no impact on the game.

The Daemons got first turn and started hurtling across the tabletop:
user posted image

On the left, a Fiend ended up nice and close to the Trolls and Squigs, letting itself be charged and killed easily. The Daemonic magic phase was very limited, with a Miasma dispelled, before Steed of Shadows was cast on the Bloodthirster, zooming across my army, releasing a fanatic that I felt was best off thrown into the building that was between them and Billy, and ending up in my deployment zone turn 1! Scary!

My first turn saw my Archers squabble, also affecting my general’s block once again- I’m sure there’s a lesson to be learnt there! The Trolls and Squigs busted through a Fiend, and the Arachnarok skittered around them to face the Plaguebearers. A pair of rocks came the Bloodthirster’s way, one of them hit, but with shocking predictability, a 1 came up to wound. The Doom Diver took out a Bloodcrusher though so it wasn’t all bad.

The Daemons got some charges now; the Bloodletters charged 16” into the archers thanks to their banner; the stand and shoot dealt a couple of wounds, both warded, but the Fanatic they had to charge through whacked 8 of them into a Daemonic paste. The Bloodthirster went into the elite common Goblins’ flank, and I breathed a sigh of relief as I got out my Skulkers, who would help keep the big guy pinned for half the game. Finally, the Plaguebearers went for a long charge on the Arachnarok, which made it!

After the typical dispel scroll for Mindrazor and some meagre Flamer action, combat was suitably bloody, with my Arachnarok killing the Nurgle Herald. With 10 attacks the Nurglers made 6 poison wounds, but I was nearly as lucky with my dice and saved 4, before stomping another trooper or two. The Bloodletters did excellent, helped by my standard skill of netting my own troops. The gobbos fled and were run down, but nobody nearby cared.

With the Plaguebearers stuck fighting a big T6 monster, it was easy to get both my Trolls and my main Night Goblin block into them; the next turn, the Trolls went in, and amazingly I managed to lose combat by 1 anyway! Fortunately both held. The turn after, the Night Goblins disrupted them, and the entire block dissolved pretty quickly. Meanwhile, the Bloodthirster killed gobbo after gobbo, one turn managed to even lose combat, but took no damage thanks to the stubborn Icon nearby. As it turned out, by presenting a worthwhile target, my archers had drawn the Daemonic BSB away from the Plaguebearers, which was definitely worth their value, as stubborn Plaguebearers would have lasted much longer.

Meanwhile I threw my Chariots at the Bloodletters to whittle them down, while finishing off the “big square base” troops. A nice Vindictive Glare dealt 5 wounds to the Herald on Disc, with my opponent failing a bunch of saves… and me being nice enough to point out that roll would have been his armour. Then he passed 6 4+ ward saves in a row! The Doom Diver got him as he fled, and I breathed a notable sigh of relief.

The game-changer was still the nasty Bloodletter block, who managed to get into my main Night Goblin block. But my guys were so deep, that thanks to nets the damage was very limited.

user posted image

Once again, this left my Trolls and Arachnarok in perfect positioning for countercharging, and although the Arachnarok lost it its last wound in the process, the Trolls did vomit his BSB to death. As this happened, the Flamers skittered across my deployment zone, taking the opportunity to try and flame my lone Shaman to death, but failing and being munched by the Squig Herd instead.

Finally, the Bloodthirster killed off the last of the Goblins, turning to face my Night Goblin block (Who, themselves had finally turned around to fight the Bloodletters). He charged in, only to be met by my valiant BSB, who died horribly, but with my Warboss and troops doing enough damage to kill the last few Bloodletters, I had won combat by 4, reducing the healthy Bloodthirster to LD5 for his instability test. And what do you know? With a roll of 10, he disappeared back to the warp, and the game ended, with the Daemons fully destroyed!

Although I had tabled him, it was at the cost of 2 main units, my BSB and my Arachnarok, giving me a win of about 17-3. I’ll take that vs Daemons any day!!

Next, a fight vs the brave Knights of Bretonnia. Who will come out on top between my Arachnarok and a Duke with Heroic Killing Blow?!
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Dec 24 2011, 03:12 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,643

Great read so far, and good job crushing those cursed deamons biggrin.gif.

I'm looking forward to the next battle report.

Cheers,
G
Gobso
Posted: Dec 24 2011, 11:47 PM

Orc

Happy Christmas everybody. Also, I found this final picture of the end of the game:
user posted image

Poor Daemons wink.gif

Game 4 vs Ben’s Bretonnians

So, next up was young Ben who I’ve played a fair few times at tournaments over the last few years, and he’s started gaining the upper hand more and more as he gets older. I knew this would be a tough game, even though his army’s not exactly “top tier”. Remembering all the odd items he had is hard, but the main ones are included.

Bretonnian Lord, killy with Heroic Killing Blow
Prophetess, Level 4, Earthing Rod
Damsel, Level 2, Scroll
Paladin BSB, Wyrmlance
8 Realm Knights, FC
11 Errant Knights, FC, Standard of Discipline
24 Archers, FC, Flaming
5 Mounted Yeomen
3 Pegasus Knights, FC
9 Grail Knights, FC, Valour Banner
Trebuchet

The scenario was Blood and Glory, except if an army “breaks”, you finish up the turns and get bonus 1000VPs. If both armies break in that time, no-one gets it!

So here we have our deployment- the Realm Knights have his Lord on the left, the Errants in the middle have BSB, and the Grail Knights are right, with level 4. The wood was very handy for me as it would separate his army some. One lance I can take, two I might survive, but three at once, and it’s game over.

user posted image

We both made the same mistake this game, and didn’t put our generals in the units with Standard of Discipline. Note that my main unit is 6-wide: this lets me put a character on each corner, and prevents a charge from contacting both at the same time. Obviously I had first turn as the enemy prayed, and cautiously advanced. Magic saw me get a whopping five spells off, mainly on the Pegasus Knights, but for all that, only 1 died, and they passed their panic check. My Archers really wanted to take out the horsemen so they’d not be able to draw out fanatics, but only a couple died. The rock lobbers’ prime target was the enemy trebuchet, but both missed. Doom Divers hurt the Pegasus Knights some, but it still wasn’t enough.

The Bretonnian advance was equally cautious, the Pegasus Knights zooming to the left flank, and the horsemen bringing out both fanatics, being killed in the process. Magic started with me letting go an Iceshard Blizzard on my Night Goblin archers, followed by a big bang- an irresistible comet, which was placed very bizarrely in my opinion- near my Squigs and Trolls, but also near the potentially very deadly Pegasus Knights! The miscast result was 7, which translated to 8 S10 on the Grail Knights… so he re-rolled with Earthing Rod: Dimensional Cascade. But this was followed by the craziest rolls ever; I rolled to wound, and got seven 1s out of the 8 dice. A single Grail Knight fell, the Prophetess saved her own wound, and wasn’t sucked into the warp. The Lady protects!

Shooting also hurt like hell, as a direct hit from the Trebuchet killed most of my common elite Goblins. The Archers killed a Chariot, and the nearby shortbow Night Goblins failed their panic test (Only LD7!) and fled the table completely. It wasn’t looking good.

Turn 2, and the Spider Riders ran in front of the Lord’s unit, with Squigs, Trolls and Arachnarok getting into position for counter-charges. The common goblins reformed musically and tried to get back to my table edge to protect their points and their banner while my BSB joined my main unit, and annoyingly, both Fanatics died on doubles, clearing the way for the enemy Knights. Magic was a bit of a bust this turn, but the rock lobbers finally did their job and blew up the trebuchet, while the Doom Diver missed.

The Bretonnians advanced into charge range, but the only charge was the Pegasus Knights into my common Goblins’ flank. I readied the Skulker models, but before they could be placed, the comet fell! The damage wasn’t too bad, it killed the Pegasus Knights, left the common Goblins with just command left, and took out a Troll. Fine by me!

I had a plan with the Squigs, Arachnarok and Trolls now… but the damn Spider Riders squabbled big-time, preventing the Squigs moving at all as well! 4 Spider Riders died in the squabble-fest, but at least it doesn’t cause panic. Some desperate shots on the Grail Knights later, and they were battered but very much alive.

It was time for some proper charges: the Errants into the Trolls, and despite the BSB failing to even hit with his flaming lance, easily blowing through them and into the rear of my cowardly Goblins! The Grail Knights made it into my Warboss’ unit, but were too few to win combat. The Lord’s unit didn’t want to charge my lone Spider Rider, so edged sideways to get around it.

user posted image

But it wasn’t over yet! The Nasty Skulkers popped out of the common Goblins, and after a desperate challenge from the enemy BSB, one of them lopped his head off… twice! 5s ‘n’ 6s baby! The rest of the unit was stomped into the dirt, but that was a very fair exchange. Meanwhile the Grails killed my BSB but were worn down and killed off, breaking the level 4 but not catching her. Finally, the big move? The lone Spider Rider charged the Realm Knights, to stop the Lord making way before the Arachnarok declared the charge too. The Realm Knights failed their terror test, and were promptly run down by both spiders small and large! So much for Heroic Killing Blow!!

By this point I had 2 break points in my general and 1 in my Night Goblin block, so I was broken. The Bretonnians had only the Errant standard bearer and the Peasant Archers, so they were broken too! Game over!

Considering how bad it seemed, a 12-8 win to me was very much appreciated. It all came down to the Lord’s failed terror test, otherwise a big loss to me. All he had to do was put his Lord in the other unit, and he’d have passed and it’d have been fine… but oh well, good luck is always appreciated, as rare as it is!

Finally, I was drawn against a nasty Lizardmen army. Nice pattern of easy draw/hard draw going on here…

This post has been edited by Gobso on Dec 24 2011, 11:48 PM
Gobso
Posted: Jan 4 2012, 06:13 PM

Orc

Game 5 vs Ed's Lizardmen

So, the final game of the tournament, and a very hard army to face. The Lizardmen had:
Slann, BSB, Lore of Light, Focused Rumination, ethereal, toyz
2 Scar Vets on Cold Ones, more toyz
Skink Priest, Cube of Darkness
3 x 10 Skinks
30 Saurus, FC
16 Temple Guard, FC
2 x 3 Terradons
2+1 Salamanders
8 Chameleons

This pic sums up the left side of deployment pretty well, with the Slann's guard on the far left:
user posted image

There's also my Squigs on the far right, facing off vs some Chameleons and Terradons.

The first couple of turns were very stand-off-ish, but my opponent didn't cover all the angles so well, and my chariots and Squigs got some charges on units he didn't want me to hit, having some of his Skinks and Terradons and Salamanders flee. Some rallied, some didn't. That was good! Other Terradons brought out my Fanatics and died, which was also good. Chameleons scouted to the left, and despite taking a Doom Diver to the face and fleeing, managed to rally and bag a warmachine or two. I targeted the big saurus with my rock lobbers, hoping to hit the deadly Scar Veteran on Cold One, as he would surely die to a direct shot (or two: he had a Charmed Shield). Sadly, no direct hits all game, but a few scatters that took a few down was nice.

The game came down to my Trolls having a pair of charges on some Skinks and a Salamander, both placed very alluringly, which would give the Temple Guard the Trolls' flank. I happily took the first charge, which fled off the board, and the second, which also fled off the side of the table, for the Temple Guard to gain my flank. But I had placed my Arachnarok and my elite Goblin unit with key characters in that unit to flank the Temple Guard if they pursued the Trolls, which would wipe them out- so I knew the Trolls would be able to escape and rejoin the fight. I was quite worried they might get annihilated outright if they had the flaming banner, however. As it turned out they didn't have the flaming banner... and the Trolls held on insane courage! So we ended up with this situation:

user posted image
Why were my opponents so opposed to ranking up their characters correctly this tournament?!

The Trolls managed to vomit the Scar Veteran to death, and the goblins, my Warboss and the Arachnarok wiped out the Temple Guard over a few turns. Getting the last wound and breaking the Slann was very very difficult as I kept rolling a 1 for thunderstomps, which would be allocated vs the Slann, who couldn't be hurt by non-magical weapons! But, eventually the final Temple Guard died, and the Slann broke, dying instantly. The game was mine, but not over.

On the right, the Squigs took a ton of fire, but managed to get into the Salamanders and destroyed them. The few survivors then played patticakes with some Skink skirmishers- after killing the Salamanders I reformed diagonally, so that the blowpipers were too close to stand and shoot. But although we broke them twice we could never catch them! But that was okay.

We were left with the big Saurus unit with hero itching to fight, but a fortunate Itchy Nuisance meant they failed their charge on my Lord's unit. In return, the elite Goblins took them all out, with a teensy bit of help from the Arachnarok and the Trolls, who managed to vomit to death another heavily-armoured hero (They were reformed to a 2+1 formation, so 3 vomits were possible per turn!). The Saurus broke and were run down, leaving the Lizardmen with maybe a couple of hundred points left on the table, for another massive win for me, about 17-3!

---------------------------------
So, after all my games I was doing very well... but not well enough for overall! That actually went to the Bretonnian player, who smashed his last opponent. A Beastmen player snuck into second place, thanks to him getting the bonus VPs from the Blood and Glory game that I didn't manage. But, still, third place, 5 great games and some scenery as a prize to give to my club, all added up to my best tournament performance of 2011! And here's to many more this year yarr.gif
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Jan 4 2012, 07:21 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,643

Great report, and congrats on the 3rd place.

Cheers,
G
Snikpik
Posted: Jan 4 2012, 09:12 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

Yep, nice write ups. Incidently I've just read the bretonian knight series and often wonder why the grail knights dont represent what they are in the fluff, but there again they would definetly have to be character models and used sparingly. Anyway, it doesnt matter, just as long as you trounced em! smile.gif
Morten C
Posted: Jan 4 2012, 10:24 PM

Warboss

Member No.: 5,542

Great write-up mate smile.gif Lovely stuff!

I especially like the battering of the daemons biggrin.gif
« Next Oldest | Wot Weez Wrote | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1490 seconds | Archive