Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: We'z got a new Big Boss (Global Mod).

Pages: (17) « First ... 13 14 [15] 16 17  ( Go to first unread post )

Anton's Army Of The Eight Peaks, Threadomanced!
Farmer7574
Posted: Jan 29 2016, 11:40 PM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,948

Love it, is this Da Path's first squig off? We're in for some cool stuff ahead.
Anton
Posted: Mar 7 2016, 05:59 PM

Lucky Git

Member No.: 1,901

Right, time for an update on the squigs. I don't have any finished units as I've worked on Squigs for both herds, but here's some WiP.

user posted image
The Squig Hoppers are a mix of old and new models. I think they go together nicely. One model is missing as I put him in the wrong undercoating batch by mistake. But apart from that, the unit is complete.

user posted image

user posted image

I've prepared two filler bases for the Squig Herds. They only have two Squigs each right now but that makes it easier to show what the bases look like. I added a bunch of shrooms to these as I had some spare from the Manglers. They should have another 8 Squigs each if I can fit them -- probably not as old Gobbla and the Squighound are among them! But if they don't all fit I'll just base more of them separately and make fewer herders instead.

Also, we've now set the date for the game so I now know how much time I have left to paint. 82 days to be exact. I will need to prioritise as I have way too much stuff left to paint it all. After the Big Red Bouncy Brigade and the archers are complete, I will move onto War Machines. Any time I have left after that I will spend on small units of Night Goblins and maybe another unit of Trolls.

Anyone who is in Stockholm on May 28th and would like to pop by and say hi/have a look can drop me a PM.

cb_rex
Posted: Mar 8 2016, 11:22 AM

Warboss Azbad Bonecruncher

Member No.: 4,967

The hoppers look good, I always find having a deadline with a game impending helps motivate me. Maybe the Squig Herd wont quite fit in your army list so you don't need to prioritise getting that done. biggrin.gif I got stuck trying to rank up the herders at the back with their long prodders. unsure.gif

I went to Stockholm last year, the Vasa Museum was awesome.

This post has been edited by cb_rex on Mar 8 2016, 11:23 AM
Wazoo
Posted: Mar 9 2016, 04:33 AM

Big Boss

Member No.: 5,687

Great looking squigs and riders! I have to say the colours are really deep, are you still mainly drybrushing? The final product is great.

Wazoo

P.S. @ cb_rex: I agree: The Vasa museum is absolutely amazing!

This post has been edited by Wazoo on Mar 9 2016, 04:34 AM
sickmachine
Posted: Mar 9 2016, 08:40 AM

Evil overlord

Member No.: 856

QUOTE (cb_rex @ Mar 8 2016, 11:22 AM)
The hoppers look good, I always find having a deadline with a game impending helps motivate me.

This works for me too!

Also Anton; love you painting style!
Just wish a unit like squighoppers was more viable...

Anton
Posted: Mar 12 2016, 12:53 PM

Lucky Git

Unit fillers are done!

user posted image
First one, top view.

user posted image
Front view.

user posted image
Second one, top view.

user posted image
Front view.

I didn't get any Squigs left over like I thought I would. While that means I'll need to paint more handlers, I prefer having lots of models on bases like these to get that bouncy mass of teeth and claws feeling.

@cb_rex: Thanks for the warning. I ranked them up after reading your post and then rebased the worst offenders on rocks so their prodders would go over the models in front of them.

@Wazoo: Yep, still drybrushing almost everything.

@sickmachine: They are totally viable against Dwarfs or anything else with I3 or less. In 9th Age they are crazy good too with Impact Hits. 8th Edition against elves/all comers, not so much. smile.gif
Boss Wargut
Posted: Mar 12 2016, 01:07 PM

Boss

Member No.: 7,034

Good stuff! It obviously isn't about saving money on models wink.gif
okkel
Posted: Mar 12 2016, 06:28 PM

Orc

Member No.: 7,444

Looks really dynamic with squigs jumping/crawling above each other to get to the enemy - just like they should look!
amplebob
Posted: Mar 13 2016, 07:40 AM

Boss

Member No.: 5,413

Great looking squig fillers man. Big wall of teeth coming to rip up the 8 peaks...
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 13 2016, 12:47 PM

Great stuff looks like you're making good progress on that unit now.
Kaptain BlackSquig
Posted: Mar 13 2016, 02:15 PM

Da Kaptain of KrakenRok

Member No.: 600

Looking great mate! Makes me want to go back and rebase my herds as well!

Da Kaptain yarr.gif

This post has been edited by Kaptain BlackSquig on Mar 13 2016, 02:16 PM
Theorox
Posted: Mar 14 2016, 08:49 AM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

I really like multibases that break up unit, and you've done it in a great way! Those squigs all look great. biggrin.gif

Theo

This post has been edited by Theorox on Mar 14 2016, 08:50 AM
Farmer7574
Posted: Mar 14 2016, 11:45 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 7,948

Nice squigs, I love the unit filler with them bouncing about & climbing all over each other
Anton
Posted: Mar 28 2016, 10:40 AM

Lucky Git

Meet Da Bosses Part 3:

Jax The Axe

user posted image
I had been thinking about making a Big Boss out of the plastic Fanatics kit, so when Characters was chosen as topic for the 13th Da Warpath Conversion Competition, it was an ideal opportunity to make one. It's a simple conversion that took just a little bit of sculpting to replace the chain with a wooden haft and a suitably large axe from the Minotaurs kit. The head is from the Arachnarok crew.

What I was most happy about is how its dynamics changed completely when I altered the pose by cutting off the tab (it was meant to stand on the tip of its toe).

Skarsnik says: No one knowz who Jax killed to get dat axe, but no uvver Goblin can even lift it (many tried -- while Jax was sleeping o' course). After 'e 'ad da shamans call down ol' Gork's blessing on it, it cuts fro' beard and bone like nuffin'.

Falloff

user posted image
I also entered Falloff in the competition, although his only conversion is his bent arm and possibly his basing. But since I was painting him anyway as second in command of the Big Red Bouncy Brigade, I thought I might as well enter him too. The details didn't come out as sharp as expected but it was a repainted model so maybe that was the reason.

This post has been edited by Anton on Mar 28 2016, 10:41 AM
cb_rex
Posted: Mar 28 2016, 11:20 AM

Jax got one of my votes, you did a really neat job with him choosing really appropriate head and axe blade and I know the Fanatic kit is quite 2 dimensional and has the chain/rope sculpted really close to the body so getting that removed and him posed right is no mean feat!

I didn't realise Falloff was yours as well, I wasn't to keen on his bent arm, it looks a bit odd, (might just be the angle of the photo), his base is great though.

This post has been edited by cb_rex on Mar 28 2016, 11:20 AM
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (17) « First ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0642 seconds | Archive