InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Mangler Cover Save
16-Bit
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 03:43 AM

Snotling

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,814

It just so happens that DE and WE are some of my most common opponents, but in the case of the Mangler Squig boosted Night shroud has no effect? is that the consensus unsure.gif
Cannibalbob
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 05:23 AM

Orc

Member No.: 3,721

QUOTE (Arfa @ Mar 24 2012, 06:04 PM)
If you casted the boosted night shroud you're wasting dice lol, not a very good spell at all.

I don't find it to be that bad. It can put a decent chunk of damage onto charging enemy units depending on their size. When playing an all gobbo army I will take any casualties I can get.
Squigkikka
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 10:00 AM

Waaagh!

Member No.: 5,573

Cannibalbob: You say that because you've not read the description of the spell closely enough, you git! What does it say? Well, it says that...

Charging models in base contact has to take a Dangerous Terrain test.

In short, only what touches of the frontrank has to test, which usually means 1-2 dead guys. Hooray for Night Shroud?

QUOTE (16-Bit @ Mar 25 2012, 03:43 AM)
It just so happens that DE and WE are some of my most common opponents, but in the case of the Mangler Squig boosted Night shroud has no effect? is that the consensus  unsure.gif

Hey man, see it like this instead! Since it already has soft cover, now you don't need to waste as much time using a relatively worthless spell! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Squigkikka on Mar 25 2012, 10:07 AM
Cannibalbob
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 03:46 AM

Orc

QUOTE (Squigkikka @ Mar 25 2012, 10:00 AM)
Cannibalbob: You say that because you've not read the description of the spell closely enough, you git! What does it say? Well, it says that...

In short, only what touches of the frontrank has to test, which usually means 1-2 dead guys. Hooray for Night Shroud?

Wot iz dis reedin fing yoos talkin bouts?

Hmm, I did miss that particular part of the rule. I have a feeling they meant to specify "model or unit" and simply left out the "or unit" piece due to their expert rule writing ability. Sorta like how squig units can explode without squigs being in the unit.

That does make it quite a bit less useful. I could still see it being ok against armies that have low number units - such as Warriors of Chaos, Bretonnians, etc. But thats about it.

I generally drop that spell for sneaky stabbing anyways, unless I am playing someone with a whole lot of shooting - it is pretty decent then since you can blanket quite a large area.

This post has been edited by Cannibalbob on Mar 26 2012, 03:48 AM
Squigkikka
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 09:06 AM

Waaagh!

Member No.: 5,573

If you take night shroud against Warriors of Chaos then I fear for your sanity tongue.gif Light cover against the only faction with no BS shooting whatsoever? tongue.gif
mickkk666
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 11:00 AM

Flying goblin

Member No.: 6,568

QUOTE (Cannibalbob @ Mar 26 2012, 03:46 AM)
QUOTE (Squigkikka @ Mar 25 2012, 10:00 AM)

Wot iz dis reedin fing yoos talkin bouts?

Hmm, I did miss that particular part of the rule. I have a feeling they meant to specify "model or unit" and simply left out the "or unit" piece due to their expert rule writing ability. Sorta like how squig units can explode without squigs being in the unit.

That does make it quite a bit less useful. I could still see it being ok against armies that have low number units - such as Warriors of Chaos, Bretonnians, etc. But thats about it.

I generally drop that spell for sneaky stabbing anyways, unless I am playing someone with a whole lot of shooting - it is pretty decent then since you can blanket quite a large area.

Yeah, not very useful against WoC indeed. Also, IMO, a good WoC list has lots of units, more than you think wink.gif.
Cannibalbob
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 04:19 PM

Orc

QUOTE (mickkk666 @ Mar 26 2012, 11:00 AM)
Yeah, not very useful against WoC indeed. Also, IMO, a good WoC list has lots of units, more than you think wink.gif.

Thats the point. They have lots of units, but a lot of those units tend to be small elite units. Night Shroud can blanket an 18" area, which can get a whole lot of your army. If it kills 1-2 chaos warriors per unit that charges, or even 1 knight per knight unit that charges that is not really that bad for a goblin force. The more smallish units they have the more you can potentially kill with dangerous terrain tests. It also means those kills make more of an impact on the unit.

Would I specifically go for the Night Shroud spell? No. Most likely I would try for a different spell or drop Night Shroud for Sneaky Stabbing. But I could see the benefit of dangerous terrain tests against an expensive elite army. I am not trying to say that it is a great spell now that the stupid part has been pointed out to me (makes me sad about the Bad Moon Banner as well), but you can get some use from it.
mickkk666
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 05:44 PM

Flying goblin

Member No.: 6,568

Indeed it has its uses, but I would prefer sneaky stabbing, cause it grants armour pircing, something useful against chaos warriors, apart from the rerolls if you flank or rear charges smile.gif.
Cannibalbob
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 05:59 PM

Orc

QUOTE (mickkk666 @ Mar 26 2012, 05:44 PM)
Indeed it has its uses, but I would prefer sneaky stabbing, cause it grants armour pircing, something useful against chaos warriors, apart from the rerolls if you flank or rear charges smile.gif.

Agreed. But in the case of chaos if I rolled Gork'll Fix It and Night Shroud I might actually drop Gork'll Fix It for Sneaky Stabbing and keep Night Shroud (with a lvl 2 shaman). That is a case where I don't see Gork'll Fix It doing a whole lot of good since rerolling 6's for Warriors of Chaos does not really impact them much. The few casualties that Night Shroud could inflict might end up better.

But for the most part I too would drop Night Shroud in the majority of cases and take Sneaky Stabbing instead.

This post has been edited by Cannibalbob on Mar 26 2012, 05:59 PM
« Next Oldest | Rulez Questionz | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0697 seconds | Archive