Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 8th Conversion Competition: Rank and File Edition - ENTER HERE!

Pages: (17) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Aporcalypse Redo, New pics 0914 (completed Squig Herd)
Avian
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 04:29 PM

Big Boss

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,167

Right.

I started redoing my greenskins with the new army book, after having played solely with my Ogre army for about a year and a half. The project thus includes both fixing up old models (rebasing them, mostly, but also some other fiddling) and adding some new models (two lots of Skull Pass models, amongst other things).

Anyways:

Lords

1 Black Orc Warboss on boar
- heavily converted from a plastic Black Orc with the legs from the Orc Boyz command sprue
- boar from the new mounted shaman, cloak from a chaos warrior and shield from a bretonnian Man-at-arms
- Night Goblin with his head stomped on by the boar is from the Skull Pass set

1 Orc Warboss on boar
- old metal model
- more or less completely repainted, some extra bitz added

1 Goblin Warboss on foot
- Grom without his chariot

1 Skarsnik & Gobbla
- old models stripped and mounted on a bigger base
- also added in an old 4th edition NG standard bearer and a snot from the doom diver set

1 Night Goblin Great Shaman
- old 5th edition model stripped and given a piece of slate to stand on

Heroes

1 Black Orc Big Boss on foot
- the Borgut Facebeater model, not converted

1 Black Orc Big Boss in Chariot
- GD2k model in converted boar chariot
- also useable as a BSB

1 Black Orc BSB on boar
- converted in much the same way as the Warboss
- only the orc's head is metal, the rest is plastic
- banner is from the Ogre command sprue, cloak is from a high elf and some bitz are from bretonnians

1 Orc Big Boss on foot
- converted from 100% plastic
- great weapon made from a standard pole with a chaos warrior axe head
- extra wooden armour made from cut-up Orc shields and old empire armour plates
- marauder cloak and a dark eldar helmet plume
- rebased for 7th edition

1 Orc Big Boss in chariot
- more or less the standard kit with some extra bitz for the Big Boss
- skull standard top added to the front of the chassis to make it stand out more

1 Orc BSB on foot
- converted from various plastic bitz

1 Savage Orc Big Boss in Chariot
- based on christmas decoration, boar chariot, a couple of metal models and lots of bitz

1 Orc Shaman on foot
- made from various plastic bitz

1 Orc Shaman on boar
- Wurrzag with head swap

1 Savage Orc Shaman on boar
- old 5th edition model

2 Goblin Big Bosses on foot
- new metal minis

2 Night Goblin Big Bosses on foot
- converted 5th edition shaman + converted BfSP "big" boss

1 Night Goblin BSB on foot
- conversion using many different parts

2 Goblin Shamans on foot
- new metal minis

1 Goblin Shaman in chariot
- converted model made from a variety of bitz

3 Night Goblin Shamans on foot
- 2 old metal minis from 4th edition, stripped and repainted
- one converted BfSP shaman

Core

30 Orc Boyz (ch, sh, fc)
- converted plastic minis with some metal parts
- shields from the Beastmen set

30 Orc Boyz (ach, fc)
- rebased unit

30 Boyz (sp, sh, fc)
- rebased unit

2 units of 10 Arrer Boyz (mus)
- old unit of 16 split into two units with the addition of four new models
- musician with guitar

20 Night Goblins (hw, sh, mus)
- BfSP ones, converted to have hand weapons

20 Night Goblins (hw, sh, mus)
- BfSP ones, converted to have hand weapons

20 Night Goblins (sb, mus)
- slightly converted BfSP ones

10 Goblin Wolf Riders (sp, sh, fc)
- old metal minis
- rebased, given new banner and some touch-ups

4 Goblin Wolf Riders (sp, sb, la, mus)
- New plastic set with extra bitz to make musician

6 Forest Goblin Spider Riders (sp, sh, mus)
- Converted BfSP ones

Special

18 Black Orcs (atdt, sh, std, mus)
- new plastic ones, slightly converted

15 Orc Boar Boyz (fc)
- old metal models rebased and with new shields and standard
- one new model, some old ones repainted

10 Orc Boar Boyz (fc)
- conversions using mainly plastic bitz
- rebased and given shoulder pads from the 40K Ard Boyz set

6 Savage Boar Boyz (sp, sh, fc)
- metal models with trimmed-down gobbo shields
- rebased and new model added, some fragile bitz pinned

2 Orc Boar Chariots
- standard kit with a couple of extra bitz
- rebased for the new look

1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
- converted current model with extra crew and extended cab

7 Squig Hoppers
- old 4th edition models repainted

8 Squig Hoppers
- some models mounted in leaping positions using thin wire.

4 Squig Hunting Teams (12 Squigs, 8 Gobbos)
- mix of old and new models
- the old herder pairs are mounted on two 20 mm bases glued together

2 Rock Lobbers
- one standard model, one scratch-built one
- extra crew are 2nd and 3rd edition 40K grot war machine crew
- scenic bases added

2 Spear Chukkas
- standard models with scenic bases

2 Bullies
- converted using various metal and plastic components

Rare

1 Giant
- one of the Albion ones
- old model, rebased and some touch-ups

5 Trolls
- 3, converted Stone Trolls these are old models, rebased only
- 2 Skull Pass Trolls, one standard, the other converted using ogre hands and clubs and Rat Ogre arms

Work in progress

1 Night Goblin Big Boss on Great Squig - conversion wip
- scratch-built Squig

18 Orc Big Uns (ach, sh, std, mus) - conversion wip
- converted new models, a bit bigger than regular

30 Night Goblins (sp, sh, fc) - Half done, half painting wip
- BfSP ones, slightly converted to have more variations

6 Forest Goblin Spider Riders (sp, sh, mus) - painting wip
- Converted BfSP ones

6 Forest Goblin Spider Riders (sp, sh, mus) - painting wip
- Converted BfSP ones

To-do list, Night Goblin stuff
  1. Big Boss on Great Cave Squig, conversion to do
  2. 15 Spearmen, semi-painted
  3. Squig Herd of 12 Squigs and 8 Gobbos, unpainted
  4. 20 Archers, unpainted
Time frame: until the end of the year

To-do if I get the time
  1. 7 Snotling bases, repaint and add 3-5 more
  2. 2 Pump Wagons, repaint
  3. 30 Spearmen, repaint
[U]

This post has been edited by Avian on Sep 14 2008, 11:38 AM
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 05:55 PM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

Hm, really much done and planning to do much more in a short time (end of the year). You must have lots of free time and paint very quick? cool.gif
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 07:55 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,643

Hi Avian,

good to see your blog posted here.

Greetz
G
Avian
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 08:37 AM

Big Boss

Right, I got the Shaman in chariot finished:

user posted image
Nobody really liked the clown makeup on the wolves, so I painted over this.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Note the red nose on the Orc skull

user posted image
A blue background seems to work better over all, but in this case it gave the red a purple tint. Argh, argh, argh!

user posted image
I decided to repeat some of the colour of the Shaman in his crewmembers (ex Blood Bowl Star Players)

user posted image
This quy used to have a black hat, but when I repainted him I made it a dark red instead, both to match the shaman and also to make him a bit more visible, since you only just see his head over the side of the chariot.

I also started fiddling around with my second unit of Boar Boyz and my old Orc Warboss on a boar. I discovered that the new Black Orc banners work great with the boar boy standard bearer and I have decided to replace his shabby, old banner with a nice new one (haven't thought of a design yet). For this Boar Boyz unit, rebasing if of course a given and the shields will either be repainted or swapped for new ones (the current ones keep breaking off), possibly either the square gobbo shields with the skulls or some scratch-built ones. The models should also get some touch-ups (teeth, some jewlery, etc.) and I also considered swapping some of the most unwieldy spears (these ones http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/ne...ize=B&Img=3956) for plastic spears from the Orc Boyz set.

With the Warboss, I removed his old back banner and thought of stuff to replace it with (a choice of either sword, axe or snotling, with the latter being the most favoured choice at the moment) and also considered hanging the axe at his right hip. He will also be rebased and get some touch-ups.

And neither of these things were actually on my to-do list! wink.gif

QUOTE (Kees (aka Ghenkadh) @ Nov 30 2007, 06:55 PM)
Hm, really much done and planning to do much more in a short time (end of the year). You must have lots of free time and paint very quick?  cool.gif

Well, around the Christmas holidays I tend to get some spare time to paint in between eating too much. Otherwise I don't really paint all that quickly (the stuff that's been done has been done in the course of more than one year), but I got into a routine now that gives regular progress.

This post has been edited by Avian on Dec 3 2007, 08:41 AM
Kees (aka Ghenkadh)
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 06:10 PM

Boss

Member No.: 4,125

Very nice work!
Love the jester-look. It reminds me somehow to Slaine's little mate, how he / its called?
Good to see the parts of the boar-chariot re-used.
Like to see more.
LOL @ ... eating too much...
Should be fitting the paint work in too, but new job and a baby end march next year and the work it gives redoing our house just keep me from that other eh, fun painting.
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 06:46 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

Nice looking chariot avian, keep up the awesome work.

Greetz
G
Avian
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 09:23 AM

Big Boss

QUOTE (Kees (aka Ghenkadh) @ Dec 3 2007, 07:10 PM)
Slaine's little mate, how he / its called?

Who is Slaine? blink.gif

Fiddled a bit more on the Spiders yesterday and while I haven't settled on anything for the second Boar unit, I am angling more towards doing something with them now (despite having better things to paint), mainly because I feel have have some good ideas I want to have a go with. I may get some time to paint tonight and I will at least do something with the Wolf Riders that have been clamouring for attention for some time now.
Bidiot Dwarf Stomper
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 01:19 PM

Up to No Good!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,008

Woohoo!!!! biggrin.gif

Excellent news you have started a blog here Avian. I had a look at your other blog and its most impressive.

Can't wait to see you working your way through this list of models.

The Jester style charriot is awesome, totally original (from what I've seen) and also very well painted. The guy with the bomb and the cheeky grin just rocks!! laugh.gif It was worth pointing out the nose on the skull, nice touch. *chuckle*

And I thought you were all "fighty" too and it turns out you excel at both the fighty tactics and the modelling/painting.

Bidiot. biggrin.gif
Avian
Posted: Dec 5 2007, 08:09 AM

Big Boss

A bit more work done on the WIP wolf riders and they should be done tonight if I can find a free hour or so. I followed the same approach as I used with my Gnoblars - painting all the tunics and trousers in the same colours (dark redish brown and dark brown, respectively) and then highlighting with various mixes of colours so that I get some variation but the unit still looks more or less uniform.

That leaves the question of what to do with the six other plastic fast cavalry wulfie models. They could really do with some heavy touch ups, not least because I just broke off their shields when the new army book showed up, which has left a bit of a mess on their left arms. And since I should do that, I should probably just repaint them more or less completely. Ho hum.

I also did a little bit of work on my Orc Warboss on boar.

@ Bidiot Dwarf Stomper: And I'm a killer on the dance floor too! wink.gif
Avian
Posted: Dec 6 2007, 09:27 AM

Big Boss

Wolf Riders are now finally finished (I'll maybe go back and do a little bit of GSing on them) and I am very pleased with the result.

I also did more work on the OWBOB, dismantling his boar and throwing the bitz I wanted to keep (metal head, tusks and tail) into green soap to strip the paint off them. I recently found that I had a lot of spare boars and I figured that it would be better to paint up a new one instead of touching up the old one painted so many years ago. I also did more touching-up on the rider, fixing the armour to match my current scheme for iron and generally making him fit more into the colour scheme of the army.

Currently I'm considering what to do for his shield; whether to repaint his old one, give him a new one from my bitz collection or scratch-build something. I briefly debated giving him a plastic right arm from the Black Orc set, but his arm is connected to the body differently than theirs and in any case I want to save the Boss axe for my plastic Black Orc Warboss on boar conversion which will be done next year.

Regarding his base, I thought of adding some slate or something, but I reckon that since his boar is rather special to begin with (as it has a huge metal head), this was not necessary and he'd stand out anyway.

Next up is more Spider Riders.
Avian
Posted: Dec 7 2007, 03:22 PM

Big Boss

In the end I decided to go with a scratch-built shield for my Warboss and made one out of strips of 2 x 5 mm wood glued together. To this was added a shield emblem from the Boyz set as well as some plasticard and sliced-up spear as rivets. Originally this ended up being rather thick, so I carefully sanded down the back of both the shield and the emblem. The result has a rather assymetrical shape, to make it possible to rank him up with the boar boyz which was not previously possible with his old shield.

I would have done more work on the boar, but I was out of super glue. This has now been fixed and I also got some thin chain for conversion purposes. As I was hunting around the hobby stores in town (when I find a super glue that actually works well I can never remember where I bought it when it's time to get more; I didn't get it right this time either!) I discovered that a new chain that has opened sells Vallejo paints, which was a nice surprise because you previously had to mail order it, which I found too expensive. I shall definitely look into this in the future.

I also had a look around for some cork or similar to act as stone for the base of my Wyvern (I thought it would be nice to have it standing on a crag or similar), with not much luck, though I got some tips for alternatives (putty with textured paint was the most interesting). As I have plans to finish this model (possibly my longest WIP model at the moment) next year, it was good to get some ideas. Current thinking favours using pieces of slate stuck into putty making up the over all shape and then texturing that so make it look like rock as well.

Will try to get some pics of stuff in a day or so. smile.gif

EDIT: The WAR crew have some pics of their boars in their latest newsletter, pics that are certainly inspiring! biggrin.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by Avian on Dec 7 2007, 05:17 PM
Avian
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 01:40 PM

Big Boss

Bah, here I finally get back online and I forget the memory stick with all the pictures on. Oh, well.

I have done more work on the Warboss, mostly on his boar which I am quite pleased with. I also did some work on the Boar Boyz, first discovering that there were in fact only 14 of them and not 15 as I had thought. No matter, I found parts for another in my bitz box and assembled him. Then I fiddled around with the new shields (people say they are a bit small, but you really can't use much bigger ones and still get them to rank up. Additionally I have added sand and gravel to their bases. Thus it seems that this unit which I really didn't intend to do much with is getting a lot of attention after all. Ho hum.

I also fiddled around with my Wyvern, building up the base of the crag he will be standing on from solid wood to which I have glued pieces of slate. This has moved him up and back by around 2 cm each, which will make him a lot easier to use in game, make him stand out more and make him less prone to tipping over. I will cover up the rest of the wood with putty, spackle and gravel later (I intend to use him on wednesday and he should at least be transportable then).

And that is pretty much it. I got some new Vallejo paints (almost 50% more than in the GW pots, for marginally cheaper and with a nice eye dropper tip! biggrin.gif) to replace some old colours and I even got this conversion chart for finding out which Vallejo colour most matches colours of other brands.

There should have been pics here, but there aren't. Drat.
EntertainMe
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 02:18 PM

Big Boss

Member No.: 2,893

Too bad you forgot the memory stick. I'm starting to get real curious about this new update.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Grtz
-EM-
Avian
Posted: Dec 12 2007, 01:43 PM

Big Boss

Oh, the performance axiety, etcetera. wink.gif

Anyways, I got the pics eventually, though they are now a bit outdated since I have done more work on the features units since I took the pics on saturday. However, setting up the photo gear to get good quality pics takes a while and I had not done enough to really bother with it. Some new ones should be around this weekend or thereabouts.

Orc Warboss on boar
user posted image

user posted image
Note skull on chain, axe from the black orc set and snotling from the warboss set.

IQ test - spot the one that doesn't fit in with the rest
user posted image
Four new wolf riders and one that is approximately five years old.

My Mounted Stuff
user posted image

Picture includes new units, redone units, units waiting to be done, wip units and even a few conversions I have the parts for but haven't started yet. More than 140 models and close to 6000 pts, though of course it contains far too many characters and special units to be anywhere near legal.

The big block of boar boyz in the back left is the unit I've been working on the most lately, even though they weren't really on the to-do list. It is sort of justified by the fact that Boar Boyz are allowed in the 'Ard Boyz list I will be running in the new year. The shields are pretty much done and I've retextured their bases. Next up is painting the bases, finishing the shields, fixing up their teeth and figuring out a banner design for them.
Bidiot Dwarf Stomper
Posted: Dec 12 2007, 09:19 PM

Up to No Good!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,008

Wow!!!

Thats a serious amount of mounted models.... Looks amazing spread out like that.

Really like the Orc Warboss, can't wait to see him finished.

As for the IQ test, odd one out:-

Is it the guy third from the left coz he has a drum? blink.gif laugh.gif

Bidiot. biggrin.gif
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (17) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1346 seconds | Archive