InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Ardboyz Chicago Battle Bunker, Orcs and Goblins with Gorbad
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 1 2008, 03:45 PM

Goblin

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165

It all started in Springfield, il where us local gamers had fun playing each other in a relaxed paced atmosphere. We enjoyed the day ordered pizza and played warhammer for 9+ hours. Round 2 became a whole different story as we drove 2-3 hours to Chicago to one of the busiest stores I have ever seen. With 12 ardboyz semi-finalists, apocolyse for 40k being run (20 players), 6-8 casual gamers, and another 20 people painting and priming and others milling around with 4 more employees, and music turned up loud it was a little more chaotic. At one point my team member asked the owner to turn the music down because he was litterally yelling across the table, lol.

However, with that in mind I still wanted to play competitive and fair against my opponents. I took the list previously posted on here...

"3500 Pts - Orcs & Goblins Roster - Unnamed

1 Gorbad Ironclaw
General; Size Matters - Orcs; Heavy Armour
1 Morglor the Mangler
1 Gnarla

1 Black Orc Warboss
Quell Animosity; Size Matters - Black Orcs; Shield
1 Wyvern
Causes Terror; Flyer; Large Target; Poisoned Attacks; Scaly Skin
1 Martog's Best Basha
1 Armor of Gork
1 Warboss Umm's Best Big Boss's 'At

1 Savage Orc Big Boss
Size Matters - Orcs; Choppa; Light Armour; Shield; Warpaint; Frenzy
1 Orc Boar Chariot
Chariot; Scythed Wheels
2 Boar
2 Orc Crew
Size Matters - Orcs; Choppa; Spear
1 Shaga's Screamin' Sword

1 Goblin Big Boss
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Fear Elves
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
1 Backstabber's Blade
1 The Collar of Zorga
1 Guzzla's Battle Brew

1 Goblin Big Boss
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Fear Elves
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot 2 Wolf
1 Ulags Akk'rit Axe
1 Tricksy Trinket

1 Goblin Shaman
Size Matters - Goblins; Hand Weapon; Fear Elves
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
Chariot; Scythed Wheels
2 Wolf
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Brimstone Bauble

5 x2 Goblin Wolf Riders

26 Orc Big'Uns
Size Matters - Orcs; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Animosity
1 Orc Boss
Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield
1 Mork's Spirit Totem

22 Orc Boyz
Size Matters - Orcs; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Animosity
1 Orc Boss
Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield

14 Savage Orc Boyz
Size Matters - Orcs; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Shield; Warpaint; Animosity; Frenzy
1 Savage Orc Boss
Choppa; Extra Hand Weapon; Shield; Warpaint; Frenzy

4 Goblin Spear Chukka

23 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Musician Mus; Nets; Hand Weapon; Shield
3 Fanatics

24 Night Goblins
Size Matters - Goblins; Musician Mus; Nets; Hand Weapon; Shield

12 Night Goblin Squig Herd
8 Night Goblins

8 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers

5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz
Size Matters - Orcs; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Choppa; Spear; Shield; Warpaint; Animosity; Frenzy
1 Savage Boar Boy Boss
Choppa; Spear; Shield; Warpaint; Frenzy
1 Gork's Waaagh! Banner
6 Boar

1 Goblin Doom Diver Catapult

1 Stone Trolls

2 Snotling Pump Wagon"

This list did perform well when things went my way; however, there were a few instances that limited my ability to engage, pursue, or charge in 2/3 games.

My first game went to Oleg(dwarfs) who ran 6 blocks(ironbreakers, warriors, slayers, longbeards, rangers, and miners), 4 spear throwers, 2 organ guns, and thorik with the anvil, and 2 gunner regiments. He had the +3 to dispel with several power dice. His setup with all warmachines and anvil 4" away from his center and in a corner was my first problem. The second was the anvil and organ guns. I did manage to take out his rangers who scouted because they got charged by my chariot. However the first two turns the anvil struck and slowed fast troops, the 3-4 turns it did the same thing, and then he counter charged me with his dwarf lord on shieldbearers and the ironbreakers. This ended in a massacre I did manage to get 750 points from him but he killed over 2500 with my generals unit and all.

Game two went to the by person who played ogres and had more drops than me. I would say his biggest problem was all of his regiments were in groups of 3 and didn't have any punch to take on my big blocks, even the night goblins won 1 combat. He took 3 hunters with dogs and bows, 2 scrap launchers, 9 core blocks of 3 ogres each, 4 cannon ogres regiments of 3 and his general was pimped out as well, and a giant. His shooting and mine didn't really become effective. This ended in a good draw, the wyvern did perform well countercharging and then flying to one flank and taking out 2 ogre units. however his shooting took my biguns down to 4 models...

Game 3 went to tomb kings who fielded in the middle on a hill surrounded by forrests. He took two regiments of 4 light chariots, one regiments of light calvary, 2 blocks of 24 skeletons, 1 tomb guard( basically grave guard with LA), 3 skull catapuls, 3 tomb scorptions, 6 carrions, and 1 pop up swarm. Fear really never hurt me even here. My shooting was good on his knights and chariots. All tomb scorpions died along with carrions who charged a bolt thrower and then took into them scuig hoppers as well. turn 3 2 tomb scoprions charged my wyvern and I blew them away with combat res. a fanatic by him self took out chariots because he came within 8" on a charge so I sent my fanatic in front of the boar boyz and sat it there. Then I did 12 for wounds and wounded with 7. pop 2. My wyvern did a good job of counter charging and really was awesome the entire game. The sword of striking almost always was a plus ensuring that I hit on a 1 and then wound any T3 model on a 1 almost always killing 3-4. Only once did I wound 2.
The game turner in this was once again a movement spell I couldn't stop, he charged my general and cast an additional round of hth combat with his front rank w/o attack s back. Killing blowed my general the 2nd time around. After this the unit ran because it was outnumber without support(but I couldn't get any there anyway). However his entire other flank fell including both chariot regiments, heavy cav, 3 skull catapults, and a skely regiment. In the end he didn't have much left but killing my general gave him an extra 500 VP because of the scenario.

Had a good game 2 and 3 the first was just whatever, I really thought he went overboard with everything but that is how the ardboyz are. I would deffinitely say that this is not a tourny for hoard armies. Specialized medium to elite armies are geered for this and can pack in the tactics or combos better than masses of troops that will run, fear, panic, or becomed terrored.

If anyone else has battle reports, comments, or watched games please post!

This post has been edited by cpjiardina on Jun 1 2008, 03:50 PM
valdrog
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 01:51 AM

Snotling

Member No.: 4,511

Hiyas, i also went to the Semi finals, i faced a Dwarf army first, then O&G second and Bretonians third.

Dwarf army had anvil, 4 bol ttrowers and like 3-4 organ guns, unit of iron breakers, and some other tough unit, lots of guns on his side, nasty gun line. I had horrible rolls, ha doen roudn where 4 units failed animosity and had 3 other running, all my mages were stuck, he destroyed my Savage orc boys with his anvil, and almost killed 2 giants with it, he was rolling awfully good, i was able to sorround his 2 main blocks, but as i charged them on the side, he dropped the Stone in both of them. Game ended in a draw.

Game 2 was against another greenskin army, he wen the way of mainly elite orc units vs my numbers, game ended in a draw, we just couldnt kill enough of each other before the time ran out.

Game 3 was against Bretonians, he had the Fay enchantres bunch of pegasus knights and several lance formations ,he must have been no tver familiar with O&Gs he was charging his knights very close to my NG units, one unit with 2 fanatics took out a whole 6 men pegasus knight unit, the giants did really well here ,one took a whoel flank on his own, at the end it came down to me charging his 3 VERY expensive units on the flank with 3 units of boys, those units were allready engaged in combat, but unfortunally ALL OF THEM failed their animosity rolls, game went from a very possible massacre, to a minor win.

It was fun to play again in an Ard'Boys tournament, but the tournamet is designed for small/medium elite armies, the winner was this bret player with 3 massacres, he ran an all Knight army with the King and the fay enchantres, hit super hard and fast. Horde armies had a difficult time because we just dont have enough time to win the battle of attrition that we are good at.
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 03:39 AM

Goblin

I will have to agree the second place winner was(forget) but tomb kings was the only semi horde army but he still had alot of casting and 1-2 heavy regiments. horde armies will not place in chicago...sad.gif
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 03:41 AM

Goblin

the first opponent was the first place winner(who won a 1st place destruction scenario) at adepticon in chicago earlier this year..however it was fun and I did enjoy the new opponents I think thats what keeps me playing
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 01:33 PM

Goblin

I will say that games 1 and 3 (against opponents who were not store employees) provided me with some heartfelt sorrow. First they were both sit back and shoot at me coming in. They had ways of countercharging or bringing in extra things on the board that limited my charges or movement. Shooting was terrible with my first oppoonent who never misfired or failed to hit(wow) and the other had rerolling screaming scull catapults that really didn't do a whole lot. However I think if I would have played more causiously in the 3rd game and more centered and aggressive to my left on the first game I would have avoided the detrimental combat that killed my generals unit and engaged a turn earlier and given me an advantage.

However, having to trudge across the field against people who set up on their table edge and get through blocks of troops before I can engage the main course of their army is basically impossible.
valdrog
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 01:49 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 4,511

Yep, i had to walk through the dwarf gunline from hell to get close enough to charge..and then i failed my animosity rolls right in front of 2 organ guns, 2 units of thunderers and 2 bolt trowers.........wasnt pretty.

Groznit Goregut
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 04:12 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

I might as well throw my report in here.

Well, I drove the 1.5 hours down to Greenville, SC and played at a place called Borderlands. It was a really nice shop and had room for at least 20 tables and still a lot of retail room. A lot of locals came out to check out the game and everyone was really nice. I had a good time! I will admit that I wasnít at the top of my game. I was tired as I didnít get a lot of sleep. I wonít say it as an excuse, I know I made some errors, but I just wasnít super sharp that day.

I went with the Hook Strategy. I only dropped the 10 wolf boyz with shield for a giant this round as those wolf boyz just ended up getting shot or not passing their leadership checks on the flanks. My list was:

Black Orc General on boar w/ Shaggaís and Armor of Gork
Black Orc on wyvern w/ enchanted shield, boss Ďat, and akrit axe
Black Orc on boar BSB w/ spirit totem
Suicide Gobbo w/ OHW and tricksy trinket
Gobbo Shaman, lvl 2, on wolf chariot with Sneaky Stealiní
N Gobbo Shaman, lvl 1, w/ 2 scrolls

HOOK

11 boar boyz
11 boar boyz w/ war banner
9 squig hoppers
Giant
Warlord on wyvern
Shaman on chariot
Suicide Gobbo in boar boyz (sometimes)

CENTER

23 orc boyz w/ shields and 2 choppas (for BSB)
23 orc boyz w/ shields and spears
25 arrer boyz
Giant

WEAK

2 x spear chukkas
Rock lobba
Doom diver
21 night goblin archers w/ 2 fanatics
20 night goblin spearmen 2/ 2 fanatics
10 arrer boyz
Night goblin shaman

ROUND ONE: Reinforcements vs. Ryanís Vampire Counts
I didnít read the special rules well and thought my reinforcements had to come out on my starting line. I donít think it really effected things too much. There wasnít much terrain on the board, except a hill surrounded by woods on my left flank and woods in his right deployment zone. I set the weak flank on my left and the Hook on my Right. I faced off against a regular VC army with a lot of special characters. There was the big VC lord (Carstien?), a frenzied/stupid hero, VC lord on zombie dragon, and 2 caster vampires. The rest of the army was skeletons, a unit of wights, a spirit host, banshee w/ unit of ethereal things, varghol, and a unit of ghouls. I havenít faced off against the new VC and was pretty worried.

On my Hook side, I had an early animosity on a boar boyz unit, but the rest moved up. His VC on zombie dragon charged one of my giants. He whiffed his attacks, which is great, as he had something if he caused a wound, he auto killed me. This allowed my wyvern lord to charge in his flank and killing blow his VC lord! The follow through allowed me to hit the flank of the spirit host before it hit my lines. The giants and boar boyz started to circle around his units.

The ethereals caused my fanatics to come out. I tried to send them to block a bunch of skeletons, but they mostly spun around most of the game and didnít do much damage. The war machines didnít have much to shoot at and spent the game whittling some skeletons down, only to have them raised up again. At least it kept the skeleton units from getting too large. My goblin archers held up the ethereals for a few turns, but finally fled and were caught. Oh, and my squig hoppers rushed out, got shot by the banshee, hit by a fanatic, and then boinged into a skeleton unit and were killed.

Both centers advanced until the ethereals from the left flank charged my generalís unit. Also, the special character hero got frenzy that turn and had a faster movement then his unit of wights and ended up charging out of his unit and into the same combat. His attacks didnít do that well, but he managed to kill a rank of orcs. My general had Shaggaís with FOUR enemy characters in range! I managed to kill enough to make everything die in CR lose, including special character and banshee. It was awesome.

At this point, I had two main combat units in the center ready to charge his wights. The wolf chariot charged in. The wyvern lord charged in. The two giants hit a rear unit of skellies with the boar boyz. I was about to utterly crush his center. One infantry unit had animosity and the other failed itís fear check (with -3 leadership spell on it). The wyvern and chariot bounced. The boar boyz in the rear did better and crushed their opponents.

The varghol and ghouls came out as reinforcements right behind a unit of boar boyz that had positioned itself to go after a vampire in the woods. I suffered animosity the next round and got rear charged by the ghouls. The ghouls didnít do well, due to poor rolling and the good toughness and armor save of boar boyz (everyone underestimates these guys). They spent the rest of the game in battle. I almost destroyed the unit in combat, but a vamp raised some more and left them with 4 in the end. The varghol then went and charged the other boar boyz unit in the flank and took a few rounds to destroy my unit.

Once again on the left flank, the vampire and some raised zombies charged in against my night goblins. They stayed for a round, but broke on the 2nd. They did rally by the next turn. My 25 arrer boyz showed up and a Waaagh! got them into combat with the zombies. I destroyed the zombies, but got caught in combat with the skeletons until the end of the game. His skeleton unit ended up being just barely in my deployment zone and gave him a victory point in the scenario.

The enemy center didnít crumble. My generalís unit had the -3 leadership. In the last round his unit did panic due to irresistible magic. That meant my general, gobbo hero, and big unit couldnít rally. I finally destroyed the wight unit. Two giants went against a skeleton unit with special lord character. The lord killed a giant, but the other giant couldnít destroy the unit (though he made a mess of it).

The game looked like a win for me, but came out a surprising DRAW. The real kicker for me was failing a fear and animosity test right when I needed it. I should have called Waaagh!, but didnít.

DRAW: Me=11 pts / Him= 12 pts

ROUND TWO: Haunting vs. Jim Hís Empire
Special rules were that there was a haunted terrain in the middle of the board. You had to take Terror tests within 6Ē, but if you were Immune to Psych, then you took damage. Other than that, there were buildings in every corner of the map. The piece in the middle really blocked us from getting at each other.

Jim H is from my local store and I ALWAYS face him in tournaments. Heís the guy who has tons of small units that sit on the board edge and makes it hard to score victory points from him. Well, he went with less shooting and more infantry this time. He had 2 cannons, a steam tank, hellblaster, 2 wizards, Karl Franz, and lots and lots of infantry blocks with two detachments of 10 or so free company. He had a ton more units than I did on the board and was completely cramped. Oh, he did have some flagellants and the Dogs of War that was Undead (that hates undead). Jim is a good guy, but very slow when playing. I have never come close to finishing a game in tournament with him and always get a draw. He has so many units and takes a long time to ensure he has done everything correct. He is very good at using his detachments to direct where you overrun.

Empire went first and one cannon took out four wounds on the wyvern. A bunch moved forward, but heís so boxed in that itís hard for him to move. His steam tank is in the rear, as well as most of his big units. I moved up on both flanks and the middle was just dominated by a large, haunted tower. The tower was a giant chaos tower that had a light on the inside to make it light up and was very cool (though the light was broken). The Empireís next turn was to move things up and then fire two cannons at the wyvern. One hit the warlord, whoís ward save failed and he splatted. The other finished off the wyvern. Just to note, on the goblin artillery, I was able to fire at the steam tank for a few turns and I did get five hits on the thing, but with a 50/50 to wound, only one hit actually wounded. That only caused one wound, as well. My other artillery did hit a few units and cause some damage, especially the doom diver to some detachments. I will say that this tournament was the best I have ever done with my rock lobba and doom diver. They usually scatter off board.

When it was my turn, I had a number of units charge into the huge horde of Empire units. It was doubly good as his magic turn failed to cast any spells and I used all my dispel to clear off all his prayers that had lingered. My squigs and boar boyz smashed through a few speed bumps of detachments, but one unit of boar boyz got caught up by a lone detachment survivor that didnít flee. The other boar boy unit hit a large ranked unit right next to it with the squig hoppers. The general player had another large, ranked hit charge one boar boy unit and his undead unit charge in and clips both of my boar boyz units. Karl Franz wanted to charge out of his unit to join the combat, but there was no room for this. This was still a massive combat that had four units on his side vs. three of mine. The Empire only did one wound to the boar boyz, who then got their charges in and smashed their opponents. The squigs ate a lot, as well. We broke every unit, except the undead. That one undead unit really stopped me from smashing through his lines and hitting Karl Franz in the flank. That one unit was the unit of the game, just for being undead and not fleeing. He took something like 12 casualties due to CR lose, though.

There was an Empire detachment that had moved up to flank the large combat, but it was my turn next. My generalís unit slammed into its side and crumpled it. I then charged into Karl Franz and Shaggaís Screaminí Sword was within range of three heroes. I was all set to use these 8 attacks to take the Emperor down next turn, even with his 4+ ward save. My squigs were the only unit not held by the undead and had charged into the back rank. They were facing a steam tank and had a lot of options to fight. I went for a hellblaster with wizard as crew. I ate the crew, but find out that the wizard wasnít with the crew? Anyways, I was set to eat him next turn.

The far flank had a lot of fanatics rolling around and I wasnít keen on moving through them. My giant and wolf chariot were trying to get around the flagellants to hit the weaker units in the rear and flank. I had a chance to charge them with both, but decided to move around them.

Well, we ran out of time at the end of the 3rd turn. Ugh. In the next turn I was going to rip him apart! I was 100 pts away from a Minor Victory. If I had one more round, I would have killed Karl Franz, that wizard, a few more units, and gotten a lot more points. I wish I had been more aggressive on the weak flank and killed a bit more. If I had charged the flagellants with the giant and chariot, I could have gotten them down to Ĺ strength for Ĺ points. There was another detachment I could have charged and shrugged off the fanatics to get the few points for them. I didnít realize that even with table quarters and all that he hadnít given up many points. I am beginning to really hate playing his army.

I did have my arrer boyz sitting on the haunted tower at the end and had the most models in my unit (which was close) and got the points for that.

DRAW: Me=13 pts / Him= 10 pts

At this point, I was tied for 3rd place! I was pretty surprised by this as I only had two draws. Still, I wasnít going to complain.

ROUND THREE: Lucky Charm vs. Brianís Vampire Counts
This scenario was about your general getting to re-roll pretty much anything due to a lucky charm. If he gets killed, the unit that kills him gets that ability.

Brianís army was two VC lords on zombie dragons and most of his entire army mounted. There were about four or five undead knight units, with one being the dreaded blood knights. There were a number of hounds for fast cav, a unit of bats, and a varghol. I think there were a few zombie units for the Core requirements. Brian was very sharp and a very good player. We talked afterwards and he was saying he found that this tournament was mobility and being able to hit first. There were so many nasty units that being the one who got to choose combat was the most important thing.

I was ďout-HookedĒ. Also, the dice werenít with me. I was surprised that he had more units than me and I didnít place my war machines well. I put most on a flank that didnít have much to shoot against. Most of his army hid behind woods. There was one spear chukka on the opposite flank, but it missed every round. In the first round, I had three units suffer Animosity, including one of my boar boyz. My center did a general advance, with the squig hoppers boiiinging forward an amazing 17Ē! This turned out to be bad as his general on dragon charged into them, ran them off, and then overran into my arrer boyz. Ugh. That was one unit that could face off against a large target and they couldnít even stand and shoot. The rest of the army advanced, except for a lone zombie dragon.

In the next turn, I had four units suffer from animosity, including both boar boyz. My Hook couldnít get started. My wyvern lord did charge the varghol, smash it, and then overrun an amazing 16Ē into the zombie dragon in rear. The arrer boyz held out for another turn. I also spent two turns shooting at those blasted blood knights, but they had the banner of 4+ ward save against shooting and regeneration. I nailed it so many times with the doom diver, but the unit only ever took one casualty.

Against the VC on zombie dragon, I was expecting a quick victory. Somehow, I needed a 5+ to hit the VC (something about a zombie dragon giving -1 to hit?). It had no armor or ward saves, but I whiffed (twice with the akrit axe) and only managed to cause one wound on the VC (no killing blow). The wyvern tried to give the last two wounds, but missed all of them. In return, the VC lord killed the wyvern flat out. I was flabbergasted.

His fast cav went and sat right in front of all my units. I knew they were just bait, but also realized that they canít flee. With my generalís unit getting boxed in, I what was left of my front line charge all the fast cav. I smashed them all. I held everywhere, except with my generalís unit. This is where my mistake was. The blood knights were within range and I could overrun into them. It was risky, but at this point, things werenít looking good. I needed something to work out in my favor or I was going to get swarmed by all those cav units that were moving up. I overran, and moved a measly 5 inches. That right there was a massive mistake. In the next turn, some undead knights hit my flank while the blood knights hit my front. He removed something like 15 orcs from my unit and killed off my gobbo hero that was there, as well. My general hits back 8 times with Str 8 hits. His regeneration saved all but one. My unit broke, was caught, and that was the game.

We finished out the round with my giant charging into the flank of his general on dragon. The enemy had just charged the remaining 3 squig hoppers who had rallied and since both units charged, you go on the highest initiative score (which has changed in 7th. I always thought it was last unit to charge in). The general killed my giant. I called the game. It all lasted about an hour.

MASSACRE: Me= 0 pts / Him= 24 pts

In the end, I came in 6th place, right after Jim H and his Empire by one little point. Ugh. Oh, well. I had a good time and I had a lot of fun. I admit by the last game I was really tired and feeling like toast. The crushing defeat put a bit of a damper on my fun for the day, but I bought a few things and got over it. I couldnít have made it to Chicago, anyways, so I can be happy to give the spot up to someone who can go.

First place was taken by a guy who drove from upstate NY (near Canadian border) to play in SC. He had an Empire army that had two steam tanks and Karl Franz on dragon. I donít really know what else he had, but that was enough, really. He had massacred every, single opponent that he faced that day.

Second place was Brian, whose massacre against me was able to push him up to 2nd.

I have no idea who won 3rd. I was too brain dead and ready for the long drive home at that point.

Final bad luck of the day was hitting the highway back home to find it at a complete stand still! George freakiní Bush was in town for something and his motorcade forced traffic in both ways to stop for 10 minutes while he drove to where he wanted.

This post has been edited by Groznit Goregut on Jun 2 2008, 05:10 PM
Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 04:40 PM

Motm july 2005, the goblin mad mod, WAAAGH!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,643

Hello

nice read Groznit, to bad you lost so badly in the last game. I really enjoyed reading the report.

Greetz
G
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 05:38 PM

Goblin

freakin bush, yes will agree longer read and better than mine but that will get better and next time I will post quicker so I don't forget the details. Sounds like the bigger elite armies are winning though. Something else someone commented on during the way home from Chicago.

It matters

What kind of army you play against

Scenario

and Race.

If you get the matchups that you need to win you are almost guaranteed to go places!
Brog Ironfang
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 05:49 PM

Grand Painting Inquisitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

hey mate great read - thanks for witing it up

I still can't imagine a 3,5k tournament - it must have been massive - no wonder you got out of time on a second game !
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 07:14 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,381

@cpjiardina: I think it's as Gen. Nathaniel Bedford Forest said, "Get there first-est with the most-est". The mobile and heavy-hitting armies are who won. The Empire that had the dragon and two steam tanks won lots of massacres. The VC guy who creamed me at the end was right when he said it's all about who gets the charge off with the elite units. Not exactly true (as I creamed the undead with my general in the first undead that charged me), but more "who can bring the best units to the appropriate place". It also explains how I didn't win in the 1st game (by not having my 2 infantry units crush his wights). If you hit where you want with your big and nasties, and you can win.

@Brog: You should have seen the Empire guy's table! I was just shooting my rock lobba at him and always hitting SOMETHING. No one had seen an Empire army so large. His steam tank didn't have any room to manuever and didn't do anything other then moving out of 48" range of one spear chukka.
cpjiardina
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 07:44 PM

Goblin

This a post from another forum who was part of our group. He played the same dwarf player, a HE player, and the same TK player I think...

anyway he took a list with the anvil and thorik 3 blocks of 20 - 25 dwarfs 2 handgunner regiments flame cannon, organ gun, and 1-2 bolt throwers if I remember right but there were characters in there as well just don't remember.

First game vs. High elves(Calendor phoenix's) (oh yay!) I did pretty good had a minor loss. No hills for guns or warmachines. Thoreck and the anvil consistently struck ancient power on rune of wrath and power(D3 units take 2d6 hits) but then consistently rolled ones and twos for the rest of the rolls. My cannon with the rune of burning and flame cannon sucked as the character on dragon was immune to flaming attacks. This army also ignored moving through terrain penalties which cut out shooting lanes.

Second game vs. Tomb Kings. Minor loss again. Thoreck did good first round but then started missing his rune strikes. Needless to say for 4 rounds the anvil didnt do anything. I did however wipe out 6 chariots and a unity of cavalry by turn two. His big unit of hard hitters(all had poison and killing blow, a banner allowing free reforms and T5) finally got to me and decimated several units. Forgetting my miners till turn 4 though helped with having a couple more units on the table.

Third game vs. Ogres. Drew on this one. Nothing spectacular in this game except Thoreck and the Anvil crew actually had hand to hand against two gorers and a bull. Kraggi even killed the Bull all by his lonesome! Had good luck with making ogre units flee, but hen they rally and come back for more.

Overall- We took turns setting terrain, which really screwed me as my firing became limited and i could figure out an awesome deployment quick enough. My dice rolls weren't the best but that was expected. The tourney seemed very last minute to me, organization and preperation was nil. The terrain and tables were very basic also. For a GW store i expected more. The players were sporting and nice, but my turn two player was slower than i liked. The Store was fairly cool, but at about 4pm it got lound and crowded. They are doing a 2000 point tourney in Sept? at the battle bunker that i will probably go to any carpoolers?

In retrospect i think I would have done just as well keeping High King Thorgrim and switching out my Ironbreakers for Hammerers, My Master engineer for a rune smith, downgrading longbeards to warriors, Dumping Miners for slayers and adding the rune of courage to my battle standard. We live and learn.
« Next Oldest | Wot Weez Wrote | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1134 seconds | Archive