InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 9th Conversion Competition: Chariot Edition Edition - ENTER HERE!

Legend Of The High Seas, Rules for Naval Combat
Goomb
Posted: Jan 24 2009, 05:35 PM

Generally Fluffy
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 1,967

I just received my copy of the Legends of the High Seas Rulebook from Warhammer Historical. Just paging through the rulebook, it has a lot of high-quality photos and graphics showing examples of different rules and situations. There are some nifty scenarios included in the book including "Sail on the Horizon", "Tavern Fight" (what greenskin doesn't like the sound of that), "Steal that Ship" (cutting out operation) and "Sack that Town" (again, greenskins love the sound of that). One note of interest: there is a template in the back for a small sloop. Of course, you old Goombie has already started his tutorial, and I wil post it up later today.

I need to read up on the rules, but there looks to be some really nice ones for ships and combat. I will take a look and compare them to my Mordheim book.

WAAAGH!

An excited Goomb
Arrgberg
Posted: Jan 24 2009, 08:16 PM

Orc

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,722

Woot!

And the local gameshop tells me that the next rules supplement up is the Battle of Trafalgar! Wrong time period but still...

yarr.gif
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 07:52 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,381

Let me know how you like it. I didn't get a copy based on the advice of the local game shop owner. He said there wasn't a lot you could port over (rules wise) to SeaHammer.
WarbossKurgan
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:08 PM

Swashbuckling Pirate Orc Admin!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 198

I think White Dwarf this month says Trafalgar is for 1:1200 scale which sounds like pretty tiny ships to me!
Arrgberg
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:36 PM

Orc

ja, I've gotten that news from several sources now. Sad I was hoping for some Warhammer equivelent English/French ship rules or something. sad.gif

http://www.warhammer-historical.com/Trafalgar/Trafalgar.asp

This post has been edited by Arrgberg on Jan 31 2009, 07:55 PM
Arrgberg
Posted: Mar 5 2009, 07:43 PM

Orc

Finally got my own copy! (Small celebration.)
Interesting stuff. As a guy who has crammed 80 figs onto the deck of a Black Pearl the crew sizes amaze me. (26+ is the largest entry I've seen so far) A 10 gun frigate has a random crew size of 3d6+12(?) The minimum crew for a Large ship is 7 models. I had 30 crew and 24 gunners...

There is however a wealth of material worth steeling. The movement rules are simple and seem clear. Cannon fire is treated differently than warhammer. (Why?) But using Warhammer rules would not be difficult. Ships have more hull points and guns do less damage, but working the concepts into a Warhammer fight does not seem difficult.

The main blessing is a set of rules written for the scale that is clear and complete for sailing ships. This seems like a huge bonus. I hope to fight my first games of Warhammer Ahoy later this evening, so I can comment on that system at a later date.

yarr.gif
Goomb
Posted: Mar 9 2009, 09:59 PM

Generally Fluffy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,967

Aye! I have been pouring over the rules and pics ever since I got the thing. The Goomb Boatworks has been in high gear, but I am planning a little sailing demo using the various rules to see how ships act with each set. I have a nice sloop/cutter that needs a coat of paint and then I can begin the demo.

As far as the other rules are concerned, the "slow load" rule is interesting. Basically it takes two turns to shoot and then load. This is more in line with the time it takes to reload a pistol or musket back in the day. After all, well-trained landsmen could only fire three rounds per minute, and those old boys were flying!

A, I would love to see some pics of your battle with this set of rules. Full speed ahead, mate!

Goomb
Arrgberg
Posted: May 27 2009, 03:05 AM

Orc

No battles as yet, too busy stealing ideas and using them in the Mordheim campaign!

Campaigns in LotHS:

If you are familiar with the Mordheim game system you will be familiar with the LotHS campaign system.* Instead of warbands you command ship's crews. There is a standard campaign scenario system in the rulebook and your crew can gain wealth and experience by playing the scenarios listed. Ship to ship scenarios are not included in the basic list but there are additional scenarios listed: the standard ship duel scenario and a Dangerous Coast type of scenario. (No sea monster, sigh.)

Damaged ships can be repaired between games by spending gold/hull point repaired. Guns can be replaced or upgraded by buying new ones. Replacement crew can be hired. Mutiny may be suffered if your luck is bad.

Your starting ship is free and you have points to upgrade it. To upgrade to a bigger/better ship, you must capture one. This can be done in port by rolling the Steal the Ship scenario or you may stalk the shipping lanes looking for an NPC ship to take in battle. Captured ships do not seem to be upgradable, but I may just have missed the rule or misread.

Hired Swords (Mordheim term) may be found to help the functioning or repair of the ship. The Carpenter, the Master Gunner, the Cook, etc.

Some of the campaign is laid out for you and some is left up to the players interpretation or initiative. The NPC shipping rules are included, but their use is left up to the players. I take this to mean that if you want to attack an NPC, another player in the campaign has to give up a chance to use his own crew by running the NPC.
*If you are not familiar with Mordheim, I am shocked!
« Next Oldest | Seahammer - Pirate Greenskins | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0812 seconds | Archive